Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
jose aldo is a hell of a fighter tbh, he looked better than chad in every area. i feel that with a bit more movement from chad this could have been an even closer fight, he was very successful when he wasn't standing in front of aldo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

KJ Noons did the same thing in his fight with Jorge Gurgel and then won by TKO 20 seconds into the next round, it's not unprecedented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udbz4qZ05k8&t=320s

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Regardless of how much of a cheating gently caress Aldo is (he's a big big lame cheater), he and Mendes looked amazing and the fight was cool. Even without the egregious "fouls," I don't think the fight woudld've gone differently.

Both were unbelievably fast; flyweight fast. Had it scored 3-2 Aldo.

"Man, that was fun," was a great comment by Mendes.

Jose had a killer line with the "joker" stuff and I feel like it was perhaps too poetic for most to understand.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I don't care about any of the cheating because none of it impacted the outcome of the awesome fight they had

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxCI_O4RMGo

the ones in Brazil aren't usually worthwhile cause of all the translations, but that fight was very cool so I wanna watch.

UFC could just invite Conor to sit in the front row and charge money for it, though.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Aldo didn't call Conor a joker btw, he said he was the king, chad was the prince and conor the court jester which makes a lot more sense and is cooler

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I don't care about any of the cheating because none of it impacted the outcome of the awesome fight they had

it did though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Aldo didn't call Conor a joker btw, he said he was the king, chad was the prince and conor the court jester which makes a lot more sense and is cooler

Court jester = joker

The translation was fine

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

manyak posted:

it did though.

I don't know about this.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Court jester = joker

The translation was fine

was not aware, my apologies

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

I don't know about this.

just because Mendes had 60 seconds to rest and he turned out to have good recovery and looked ok doesnt mean getting concussed in the middle of a fight doesnt affect the fight. If he came out in r2 still wobbly legged and got TKOd that wouldve seemed pretty reasonable too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

I don't know about this.

This just in, getting concussed round one has no impact on the rest of the fight

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

This just in, getting concussed round one has no impact on the rest of the fight

pretty sure he was already concussed perfectly legally

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

One thing that impressed me about both fighters was their recovery. Name another person who has survived being rocked by Aldo, let alone multiple times in a fight. Chad started the second round like nothing happened. On the other side, we've learned since the first fight that Mendes hits like a truck, yet Aldo survived multiple wobblings.

If a coach had yelled something about Jose Vision, I might call this my fight of the year.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

manyak posted:

just because Mendes had 60 seconds to rest and he turned out to have good recovery and looked ok doesnt mean getting concussed in the middle of a fight doesnt affect the fight. If he came out in r2 still wobbly legged and got TKOd that wouldve seemed pretty reasonable too

That's fair.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Dangersim posted:

No, you have to ignore everything that happened before those two shots at the bell.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

Oh then one more doesn't matter

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

-Atom- posted:

No, you have to ignore everything that happened before those two shots at the bell.

the worst

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

Alot of hurt egos in this thread about other men hitting each other in the face.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

jesus loving christ man

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Name another person who has survived being rocked by Aldo, let alone multiple times in a fight.

Frankie was hurt at a few points in their fight.

-Atom- posted:

Jose Aldo is the biggest cheater in the sport because of two shots he was already in motion during the bell, and not the two eye pokes or groin kicks.

Typical Brazilian cheaters as always.

-Atom- posted:

please just stop

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
TJ Grant was concussed 2 years before his next fight and he still hasn't recovered. I can't imagine coming back in 60 seconds when Faber is trying to teach you how to dougie

Anyway I'm happy that Chad Mendes looked so good because it gave more validity to TAM and Bang, though of course they didn't need it but it adds to it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Aldo's late punches definitely impacted the fight and Mendes' dick kick(s?) and eyepokes also impacted the fight.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

If you aren't staying up to see World Champion Material Neil Magny at the press conference then you should probably just go to bed like a normal human being who doesn't have mental issues.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cool fight. Would've been cooler if Aldo didn't blatantly cheat but whateva. I'd like to see Mendes/Edgar.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
This was one of those great fights that makes me angry that more people don't watch MMA. Insanely cool poo poo going largely unappreciated.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

owns

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Aldo's late punches definitely impacted the fight and Mendes' dick kick(s?) and eyepokes also impacted the fight.

Yea

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mogador posted:

Alot of hurt egos in this thread about other men hitting each other in the face.

Doesn't seem like it to me

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bubba Smith posted:

TJ Grant was concussed 2 years before his next fight and he still hasn't recovered. I can't imagine coming back in 60 seconds when Faber is trying to teach you how to dougie

Anyway I'm happy that Chad Mendes looked so good because it gave more validity to TAM and Bang, though of course they didn't need it but it adds to it.

Poor Urijah must feel like poo poo as the Bang myth continues to become more of a Bang fact. Mendes looked amazing and would have beaten any featherweight not named Jose Aldo tonight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

i need a new av

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Real talk though Aldo's head movement was great, and I was really fond of Mendes' takedown feint into an uppercut, he landed that a few times that did some damage and came close a few more but by that time they were car lot wacky arm guys

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

Doesn't seem like it to me

nah man you have to see things from the perspective of a man who has the flying spaghetti monster for an avatar

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The greatest striker to ever compete in MMA poses with a Brazilian fan and burger spokesmodel.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The greatest striker to ever compete in MMA poses with a Brazilian fan and burger spokesmodel.

lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

manyak posted:

protect yourself at all times dumbass

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that doesnt have anything to do with what anyone was talking about but good contribution

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

yeah, when the fight is happening. outside of two 'bells' it's no longer a sanctioned fight, and more along the lines of 'assault'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

manyak posted:

that doesnt have anything to do with what anyone was talking about but good contribution

lol ok

• Locked thread