Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

babies havin rabies posted:

in modern human civilization your function is prettymuch the same as a specialized eusocial insect drone's. the difference is that unlike those insects you are actually able to comprehend this whole situation. fortunately your ego suspends you from dwelling on that so you can have kids instead of laying on the ground in a literal heap of existential problems

I'm not saying humanity would be better off if we used genetic engineering or something to turn everyone into creatures like the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k, but it would probably be easier on the human psych than what we have now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
They just had to smoke up those dank nugs and they knew what wwas down.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
we should all gently caress each other into racial homogeneity starting NOW

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

hahahhaaha

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the other day i saw a spider spinning around and around on the end of a web and i thought it was dead or something like a dry husk so i watched it for a while and when a leg got caught up in the web it freed itself to spin around and around some more. it was spinning really fast im sure it was doing it on purpose and getting off on the sensation

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

lonesomedwarf posted:

the other day i saw a spider spinning around and around on the end of a web and i thought it was dead or something like a dry husk so i watched it for a while and when a leg got caught up in the web it freed itself to spin around and around some more. it was spinning really fast im sure it was doing it on purpose and getting off on the sensation

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lonesomedwarf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1aoLAMRMc

Plenty of animals are documented to engage in play behavior, with the obvious intent of nothing but fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
People need to stop posting that image, I keep going into diabetic shock from all the cuteness.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Spiders are some of the most pleasant creatures on earth.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
animals are so cool i hope we can teach dogs to sign lanugague so i;ll finally have a friend

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1aoLAMRMc

Plenty of animals are documented to engage in play behavior, with the obvious intent of nothing but fun.

thats pretty cool

Oberleutnant posted:

animals are so cool i hope we can teach dogs to sign lanugague so i;ll finally have a friend

same

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does the brain control you, or are you controlling the brain?

"How does you brain work? You give it information?"

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

heh, have you guys ever seen a little documenatry called........ what the BLEEPD do we know?!?!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

lonesomedwarf posted:

heh, have you guys ever seen a little documenatry called........ what the BLEEPD do we know?!?!

Get. Out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Three-Phase posted:

Does the brain control you, or are you controlling the brain?

"How does you brain work? You give it information?"
Is this about that one neurological experiment they did where it turns out that your brain makes decisions some seconds before you consciously think of them? Because that was certainly a startling thing to find out.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

lonesomedwarf posted:

And then Waking Life after you watch this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you've ever done shrooms it was shrooms

seriously

e- we should be feeding monkeys shrooms 24/7

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Free will is an illusion, OP. We're all automatons.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tsinava posted:

Seconded.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

SnowblindFatal posted:

Free will is an illusion, OP. We're all automatons.

This is a lie, the world would not be as hosed up as it is if humans didn't have free will

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is a lie, the world would not be as hosed up as it is if humans didn't have free will
It obviously would be, 'cause it is.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cardiovorax posted:

It obviously would be, 'cause it is.

I pity you

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Yes, humans have always had a consciousness, OP. hth

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tsinava posted:

i will sex all the black+asian chix

e: latinas too
ee: and jewesses
eee: u know what i'll gently caress anyone that AINT a honky

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
What determines your tastes and preferences, I wonder? Surely at birth you choose them, along with your iq, parents nationality and religion.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
one day a man awoke and simply had the thought 'gas thread ban op'

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I'd like to hear people's arguments as to what is the magical force that allows us to break the laws of physics inside our heads.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
there isn't one because we aren't

piss

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
ITT: Atheists who are no better than the religious extremists they hate so much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

ITT: Atheists who are no better than the religious extremists they hate so much
lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you believe that gorilla is actually communicating with her

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Considering other animals (mostly mammals/birds) almost certainly have a theory of mind, we've probably been "conscious" for a long while.

Dolphin posted:

lol if you believe that gorilla is actually communicating with her

She is.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Okay let's assume for a minute that humans don't have free while still being conscious enough to acknowledge that fact. Do we accept it or do we try to rise above it?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nope.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Yep

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
prove it.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im athetist

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

Okay let's assume for a minute that humans don't have free while still being conscious enough to acknowledge that fact. Do we accept it or do we try to rise above it?
We ignore the question, it's not meaningful. We feel as if we have free will, so the actual reality of the situation doesn't matter in any practical sense.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i choose to believe the monkey is communicating with the lady because it makes me feel nice and happy on the inside of my body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dolphin posted:

prove it.

Literally interacting in that way is communication hth.

• Locked thread