Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
california roll
Feb 23, 2009
at what point in when we were long distance endurance runners to tire out animals for food were we able to think as we can today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

your ego is like, just an illusion man

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Probably the first time someone tripped during that long distance run, and his fellow hunters laughed at him. They needed to make language to tell the chicks back in the cave about it.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Uh, go to church maybe some time once in your life maybe, idiot.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

in modern human civilization your function is prettymuch the same as a specialized eusocial insect drone's. the difference is that unlike those insects you are actually able to comprehend this whole situation. fortunately your ego suspends you from dwelling on that so you can have kids instead of laying on the ground in a literal heap of existential problems

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

babies havin rabies posted:

in modern human civilization your function is prettymuch the same as a specialized eusocial insect drone's. the difference is that unlike those insects you are actually able to comprehend this whole situation. fortunately your ego suspends you from dwelling on that so you can have kids instead of laying on the ground in a literal heap of existential problems

haha jokes on you I stay up every night having existential meltdowns.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the weed helps

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
On what exactly do we base the assumption that only humans are conscious?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

iSheep posted:

haha jokes on you I stay up every night having existential meltdowns.

Fried Watermelon posted:

the weed helps

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

california roll posted:

at what point in when we were long distance endurance runners to tire out animals for food were we able to think as we can today?

when we ate mushrooms one time and tripped f*cking balls

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
some of us still are long distance runners chasing down animals op

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
I remember being a fish.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

OMFG FURRY posted:

when we ate mushrooms one time and tripped f*cking balls

I really do think it was probably some idiot in africa eating something poisonous and psychedelic.

edit: or god is real, or aliens hosed with our DNA and socialized the first of us.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 26, 2014

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yeah probly

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
The first people to run away from africa :wooper:

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

hemophilia posted:

I really do think it was probably some idiot in africa eating something poisonous and psychedelic.

edit: or god is real, or aliens hosed with our DNA and socialized the first of us.

Before farming, people used to follow the travelling heards of food animals, and psychedelic mushrooms would grow in the animal poo poo. The animals would travel generally the same "migratory" route year after year, so these areas would be high in the number of mushrooms.

They were obviously eaten, by everyone or maybe just the "shaman" type person if there was one.

It would have had a great effect on these peoples perceptions and understanding.

Rapman the Cook fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 26, 2014

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

hemophilia posted:

probably a clan/family/whatever that started to eat psychedelic plants on a regular basis just for survival before doing it cause ya know, whenever bob ate those mushrooms he made wicked cool paintings and pretended to be a buffalo and it was funny

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
basically when we first started using drugs op

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rapman the Cook posted:

Before farming, people used to follow the travelling heards of food animals, and psychedelic mushrooms would grow in the animal poo poo. The animals would travel generally the same "migratory" route year after year, so these areas would be high in the number of mushrooms.

They were obviously eaten, by everyone or maybe just the "shaman" type person of there was one.

It would have had a great effect on these peoples perceptions and understanding.

I must admit, I'd pay to see a caveman tripping balls.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the first wheel was made by some guy who ate 20 grams of magic mushrooms and it just loving blew the mind of his entire tribe

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
We don't have it now.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

language establishes collective knowledge and enables the abstraction required for self-awareness, op

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Tonsured posted:

On what exactly do we base the assumption that only humans are conscious?

this kind of destroys that idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNuZ4OE6vCk

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I believe that what we call consciousness evolved over time among our ancestors op, however evolutionary psychology is pretty much all speculation.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

I believe that what we call consciousness evolved over time among our ancestors op, however evolutionary psychology is pretty much all speculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I like to assume that most people are philosophical zombies. what makes you think everyone is conscious? how do you explain the south and most of the midwest then?

Straker fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 26, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Straker posted:

I like to assume that most people are philosophical zombies. what makes you think everyone is conscious? how do explain the south and most of the midwest then?

Those are the regions that recognize their own cultural values and haven't fallen into craven liberalism, you anus

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I have a book called The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind that one of my high school teachers gave me. I haven't read it but my friend did and it's apparently about how people didn't have any kind of real consciousness until they started doing shrooms. Sounds cool but it's very long and apparently super dry. Currently using it along with a couple other thick books to prop up my computer monitor.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 26, 2014

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Isn't it just when we developed communication to describe to ourselves and to others the world around us?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

consciousness developed the first time someone wrote 'im gay' on a cave wall and everyone else in the tribe started writing it too

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

VectorSigma posted:

language establishes collective knowledge and enables the abstraction required for self-awareness, op

You don't need language to have self awareness or consciousness. Tons of other animals besides humans are obviously conscious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turfahurf posted:

I have a book called The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind that one of my high school teachers gave me. I haven't read it but my friend did and it's apparently about how people didn't have any kind of real consciousness until they started doing shrooms. Sounds cool but it's very long and apparently super dry. Currently using it along with a couple other thick books to prop up my computer monitor.

Real cool book but it doesn't talk about shrooms at all that I remember. It more suggests that humans developed consciousness as an alternative to the kind of direct belief in powerful, active, imminent gods that is described in ancient religious texts.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

skasion posted:

Real cool book but it doesn't talk about shrooms at all that I remember. It more suggests that humans developed consciousness as an alternative to the kind of direct belief in powerful, active, imminent gods that is described in ancient religious texts.

Certainly possible. I'm going off of poorly remembered second hand descriptions of it from my friend I lent it to who pictures himself a shaman. I read the first chapter like 5 years ago and immediately lost interest.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

even the dumbest of animals have the concept of another day

only humans have the concept a couple more days

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gently caress it

the reason humans act the way we do is pure narcissism. at some point we chose to love own self more than anything else. build up enough collective narcissism and you can go to the moon.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Just found this online book looks quite interesting, on this very subject http://leftinthedark.org.uk/sites/default/files/Left%20in%20the%20Dark%20free%20edition.pdf

Dennis McKenna Terrence McKenna and others in this article (where I found the link) http://disinfo.com/2012/04/planthuman-symbiosis-and-the-fall-of-humanity-interview-with-tony-wright/

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

skasion posted:

Consciousness is just being aware of yourself and what is happening around you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Dennis System posted:

Consciousness is just being aware of yourself and what is happening around you.

It actually isn't the latter, you can certainly sense and react to something that is happening (your body, self, brain is in some sense aware of it, taking action in response to it) before you are consciously aware of what is going on. Yanking one's hand off a hot stove e.g. Origin of Consciousness describes consciousness as a sort of metaphoric schema or "mental space" in which past experience is ordered into usable signs and symbols by an imaginary self-image, or a mental process which unites sense experience and memory into a coherent Umwelt. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Homo erectus were the first ones to make tools

they also invented boners

• Locked thread