Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

KataraniSword posted:

I'd say the big thing that everyone is speaking in hushed whispers about, that is the "big one" that everyone remembers? Is probably less of a direct kick in the balls than people play it up as, considering that to even get there you've gone through so much worse.

I still stand by my sentiment it's the worst thing in his entire scenario and easily the worst design choice in the entire game. Other scenarios you aren't always clear about what it is you're supposed to do to progress the plot or what is or isn't a bad idea, but usually it doesn't punish you or shove you into an unwinnable situation because you didn't know what was coming.

Trying to go for the shield card is the only other instance I can think of, but that one at least you can swole the gently caress up on Mt. Mosperiburg and have a chance at murdering Suzaku. This one just felt like one last punishing joke. Not even a very funny one, either.

Chin up though, we're almost through this awfulness and can all look forward to two much better scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

doing the obvious posted:

Trying to go for the shield card is the only other instance I can think of, but that one at least you can swole the gently caress up on Mt. Mosperiburg and have a chance at murdering Suzaku. This one just felt like one last punishing joke. Not even a very funny one, either.

And even then, getting murdered by Suzaku on Mt. Mosperiburg kicks you back out to IRPO with Fuse going "Well, maybe next time." and you're free to go about your business.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Magma Slimes.

Magma Slimes. :gonk:

This was my main hangup on Riki's quest, too. I had Gamesharked everyone infinite HP, which does absolutely jack-poo poo against LP-draining attacks. And if memory serves, Riki was in a butt-awful form with no LP. I dealt with it the way everyone else seems to have: By firing off the Thief Ring and having Riki do nothing but defend.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure this is where I stopped playing Riki's quest. Magma Slimes, whoo!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Fuckin MagmaSlimes. This shut me down as a kid too because like others in the thread, I thought it was a puzzle boss, not a simple "kill x enemies" deal. Just. Ugh. :negative:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alkarl posted:

Fuckin MagmaSlimes. This shut me down as a kid too because like others in the thread, I thought it was a puzzle boss, not a simple "kill x enemies" deal. Just. Ugh. :negative:

I mostly managed to get by because this is SaGa Frontier. As far as I know there's only a single "puzzle boss" in the entire game, and we haven't seen them yet. The closest they get otherwise is taking out the goons in the Caballero fight.

Practically nothing in this game can't be stopped by excessive enough force.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

KataraniSword posted:

Practically nothing in this game can't be stopped by excessive enough force.

Yeah, but also keep in mind most of us were in our early to mid-teens when we first played this, and this is Riki we're talking about. Either we didn't understand enough about the mechanics to be able to force our way past thirty LP-draining rear end in a top hat monsters in a single fight, or we really didn't want to spend another several hours grinding up because it's freaking Riki and there are better scenarios we could've been playing.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Contrary to everyone else here, I had no trouble with the spike rooms or the slimes (I was still lovely at the spike room, I was just super leveled and did not give a gently caress), but I drat well knew how lovely the magma slime fight was. I died the first time because I wasn't paying attention (I'd never seen an LP drain attack before) and then just wailed the second fight with AOEs and the thief ring.

Of course, keep in mind that I say I didn't know what was happening with the LP drain; I did Riki's quest last. Saga frontier is very opaque about a lot of things.

By comparison, I thought the Puzzle boss, dick as he is, was rather fun.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Riki's Scenario Pros and Cons and Party Analysis

We've already used Emelia, Gen, and T260G so this section will be rather short.

Riki: Riki is an adequate monster. His initial form is hideous, but he's easy to get and he can turn into a Black Dragon pretty easily if you keep Tail or Tailhit. There's really not too much to say, most people prefer Thunder because he starts out so much stronger, but if you want to use more than one monster for some reason, Riki is there.

Dr. Nusakan: Dr. Nusakan is one of the better Mystics in the game. The biggest advantage of course is that he's not forced into the Mystic Mail, and instead gets the superior mystic wear with it's very nice innate healing skill. He also comes with some neat arcane and shadow spells, but he will still need to get the gift for them. His biggest competition as a mystic comes from Mesarthim who has an even better forced equip, but has worse stats so it's a bit of a toss up once you factor in that the Healer ring makes Mesarthim's special skill slightly redundant.

Character availability: Riki does not have a bunch of good options when it comes to characters. His list of humans is tied with T260G's for worst in the game, mec's are average, mystics are average or a bit below (He gets Mesarthim and Nusakan, but no Timelord or Silence), and monsters are average. Furthermore, the game harshly restricts your options early on and heavily encourages you to use bad characters like Lute or Fei-on. Overall, Riki has the worst character selection in the game, and I think that's enough for another RQHY point (+1).

Unique areas: While Riki has a lot of stuff to do in his quest, very few of the areas are unique to him. Almost all of the dungeons required for the rings are completely recycled, or only have a few new areas to expand the dungeon (Nomad's hideout in Tanzer is an example of this.) Virgil's palace serves as Riki's final dungeon, and while it is unique, as we've learned in the past update it's a pain in the rear end.

Miscellaneous: As the RQHY counter has shown, Riki's quest is filled with all sorts of inconveniences like getting locked out of the Rune magic quest. The one significant advantage he has is the rings. They are legitimately useful accessories, especially the Healer and Thief rings. That being said, none of this really makes Riki's quest worth it unless you're going for a complete file.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

dude789 posted:

Character availability: Riki does not have a bunch of good options when it comes to characters. His list of humans is tied with T260G's for worst in the game, mec's are average, mystics are average or a bit below (He gets Mesarthim and Nusakan, but no Timelord or Silence), and monsters are average. Furthermore, the game harshly restricts your options early on and heavily encourages you to use bad characters like Lute or Fei-on. Overall, Riki has the worst character selection in the game, and I think that's enough for another RQHY point (+1).

As far as I remember, Asellus, Riki and T260-G are the only characters that have moderate to severe limitations on who they can recruit. Though in order of moderate to severe, it would be Asellus, T260-G and Riki at the top. I would like to think the designers realized how severe his limitations are and that is why he can recruit the good doctor fairly easily. A small mercy, but every bit helps in this awful scenario.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

As far as I remember, Asellus, Riki and T260-G are the only characters that have moderate to severe limitations on who they can recruit. Though in order of moderate to severe, it would be Asellus, T260-G and Riki at the top. I would like to think the designers realized how severe his limitations are and that is why he can recruit the good doctor fairly easily. A small mercy, but every bit helps in this awful scenario.

Red's got quite a few limitations too, but nowhere near as bad as the non-human protags.

EDIT: I'm wrong about this; in fact, Red's probably got the best options out of all the characters save for fringe cases.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 28, 2014

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

Red's got quite a few limitations too, but nowhere near as bad as the non-human protags.

EDIT: I'm wrong about this; in fact, Red's probably got the best options out of all the characters save for fringe cases.

I still love that Red's scenario more or less hands the best characters in the game to him for free (even if only temporarily in some cases). Solely by virtue of being awesome.

I also love that we get to see what an utter dick other characters are in his scenario, too.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

I still love that Red's scenario more or less hands the best characters in the game to him for free (even if only temporarily in some cases). Solely by virtue of being awesome.

I also love that we get to see what an utter dick other characters are in his scenario, too.

The insane thing with that being Red barely needs the help.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

CmdrKing posted:

The insane thing with that being Red barely needs the help.

He's basically a character out of Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Powers Rangers so of course he need a team since it would go along who he is.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I meant to say that Red getting probably the best character draw in the game is overkill. Like if Red had Riki's character draw you'd barely notice, whereas if Riki had Red's character draw his story would definitely be noticeably easier.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

CmdrKing posted:

I meant to say that Red getting probably the best character draw in the game is overkill. Like if Red had Riki's character draw you'd barely notice, whereas if Riki had Red's character draw his story would definitely be noticeably easier.

Red's quest is th game apologizing for Riki's.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Alright let's give this another go.

Things start off a bit better this time with the Slimes targeting our mecs.

The only hp damage the slimes can do is with a Flame Barrier counter attack. Even then it usually doesn't do much.

Unfortunately, the slimes target Riki a disproportionate amount again and he gets pretty low on LP. Fortunately this time, I didn't forget to equip my ace in the hole.

The Hide Ring has initiative and if your character is faster than the slimes (this should be fairly easy) it can give you a free turn to beat on the slimes without them using Magma Touch that turn. The Hide Ring will activate first, then the slimes will all pass their turns because there are no targets, and the rest of your team will unhide themselves to attack.

Emelia and Gen are strong enough to take the slimes out without any help from Riki which is nice.

As I mentioned earlier, dodge and counter techs can avoid Magma Touch. After the battle I realized I probably could have used the Hide Ring an then had Gen spam Godless the rest of the fight. It would probably be the only time the skill would be useful.

We're wearing them down. The slimes are having a hard time hitting Emelia and Gen because they can cover each other which Deflect. If I were smarter I would have rearranged the party so that Emelia an Gen where on either side of Riki so he would be in their deflect range.

After I kill 25 of the slimes, I have Riki pop out on the last turn so he can get sweet revenge. Later assholes!

A quick run back to Koorong to heal up before we go back to Virgil and I also remember to equip EnergyChain on Gen, Emelia an Mei-Ling.

This is another fight that can stop play throughs of Riki's quest cold. Virgil is completely immune to damage and the only way to win is to score 10 combo points. Level 5 combos are worth 5 points, level 4 are worth 3, level 3 are worth 2, and gently caress you level 2 combos aren't worth anything. A combo can't be use more that once for points so you can't just us the same level 5 combo twice and win.

If you have a level 5 combo or a few level 4s that you use consistently this fight isn't that bad. If you don't it's a huge pain in the rear end. (+1)

Fortunately I came prepared. As I mentioned in the combo update, there are certain attacks and spells that combo into each other because they both send and receive the same type. EnergyChain is one of those spells. So you could easily create a Level 5 combo with 5 energy chain spells. Of course Riki is forced into this fight so that throws a bit of a wrench into the plan. Fortunately, Zaraktheus's mechanics FAQ has a very helpful section that lists not only all the attacks that combo into each other, but also groups them and lists all other attacks which have that same property and are interchangeable in the combo.

For us this is important, because Plural Slash and Stone Gas fall into the same category as Energy Chain. Basically, any combination (in the mathematical sense here, not the Saga one) of 5 Plural Slashes, Energy Chains, and Stone Gas attacks will form a level 5 combo if they occur in an uninterrupted sequence.

After the combo th game rewards us with some fireworks to celebrate our best combo that turn.

It seems that Virgil is quite pleased. Also, one trick to this fight is that if you manage to find 1 level 5 combo, you don't need to find anything else. While the game won't count the level 5 combo twice, you can just drop the last attack of the combo to form a level 4, an then after that drop the last attack of the level 4 to form a level 3. That will add up to enough points to win the fight.

Unfortunately, after the first turn, Virgil starts to fight back. His attacks aren't that strong, but they can interrupt you. If you haven't found many good combos yet, this usually means a slow inevitable march towards a party wipe as you desperately try to string attacks together.

He also uses Glider Spike which I just included because it looks goofy to see such a big sprite using it.

The next two turns I only get level 3 combos because Virgil interrupts them.

But then on the next turn, I bust out a Level 4 and win the fight with points to spare.

Now that we have all the rings, I guess there's nothing to do except head back to Margmel.

:drac:The region is about to perish.
Go tell the good news to the elder.
This is your home, Margmel?

Our party members have some banal things to say about Margmel, and we make sure to shuffle our A-team back in.

The Lord Ring is really really good theoretically. It does exactly what it says it does and almost guarantees that your party will not run out of WP and JP. In practice it's not as good. There is exactly one battle left in Riki's scenario and we get full healed before it so we're not going to run out of JP and WP.

The Lummoxes, as always are useless and dumb.

:wal:Oh my...You actually did it. Now, save our Margmel.
I thought you were going to wish for us.
:wal:No, you are the savior.

Riki goes up to the cliff where we started the scenario to make his wish.

And everything turns vibrant and lush again. Margmel actually looks kinda nice.

Let's go see how everyone likes it.

:dogout:Eagghhh

None of you existed when Margmel was first born.

But those who weren't there are disappearing.
That's no good. Stop!!

If you ask me, I'm with Mei-Ling. Getting rid of the Lummoxes is just a bonus improvement to this previously lovely region.

These rings are just traps for selfish men. Someone or something made them and scattered them over the regions to absorb their lust.

:drac:I knew it.
Please, stop. I take back my wish. I don't care about Margmel. Just bring everyone back, Mei-Ling.
Thank you, Riki. Thank you all for helping me get the ring. But I don't need you anymore.
Mei-Ling, stop. What's the matter with you?

So here it is, the grand high gently caress you of Riki's quest. Mei-Ling is going to be unavailable for the final fight on account of being evil. Hope she wasn't an essential part of your team!

If you don't know this is coming, this can be a real sucker punch after all the other poo poo Riki's quest made you go through. In your first time plaything through there's really no reason not to use Mei-Ling. She's very important to the plot, she's one of the best humans in a quest that doesn't have many good characters, and she's forced for the better part of 2 dungeons so she'll have a leg up on other humans you may want to recruit.

Really the only indication the game gives you that she might do this is after you finish up the Owmi ring, and even then that's mostly a throw away line.

The game is nice enough to let you rearrange your party if she was in the front line so you dump some equipment on a mec or swap in a decent monster or something (Kylin in his base form is actually really good in this next fight if you have him).

:siren:Last Battle (Riki):siren: (This is probably my favorite final boss theme. I really like how it works in the original Margmel theme while making it a lot more menacing)

Mei-Ling focuses and transforms into...something. I'm not really sure that they were going for with that boss design. It's called the Master Ring.

However this boss does not fight alone! It is joined by the monsters that pop up whenever you use one of the 9 rings. They all have buffed hp and more interestingly, this is the only place you can fight an enemy Mariche! It's the monster that appears when you use the Lord Ring.

So we immediately start thinning the crowd. As far as offense goes, Master Ring is pretty weak and is mostly going to rely on the monsters backing it up so you're going to want to take out some of the more dangerous ones.

Another reason to do that is that every so often the enemies will shuffle around. There are ten enemies to fight here, but only five will be onscreen at once. Master Ring will come and go too so you need to take out some enemies to be able to consistently damage it.

We're really starting to punch through Master Ring's ranks here. Although there is something interesting to note. In this screenshot Master Ring is only taking 649 damage from a fairly strong attack. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it seems that as you kill more and more of the other enemies, Master Ring gains defense at the expense of HP.

A round or so later and Master Ring is by itself. A lot of players will want to leave at least one other enemy alive because Master Ring has one nasty trick left if it's by itself.

I also pop the Lord Ring for no particular reason.

Here we go. At the beginning of each turn after you kill all the monsters, Master Ring will do this.

And then do this at the end of the round. It's not as bad as some of the other final boss ultimate attacks, but it's going to be coming out every round.

Once Master Ring charges up Revolution 9 we have Dr. Nusakan hit it with a Dark Sphere spell.

The damage is pretty terrible because the Master Ring's defenses are so high, but it does have an extra effect that we'll see in a bit.

Oh.

Oops I guess we won't be seeing that extra effect. Combos don't give two shits about defense so high level combos just shred Master Ring once all its minions are dead.

Anyway, the trick to that phase of the fight is that for whatever reason, the charge up for Revolution9 counts as a buff. This means it can be dispelled by spells like Dark Sphere and Vortex (this and Reverse Gravity are why Kylin is really good here.) They will completely prevent Revolution9 from firing at the end of the turn and the only other thing you have to worry about is Master Ring's other attacks which are mostly very weak.

But it looks like we saved the day I guess.

And everyone seems to be alright. How saccharine.
Riki...I am sorry. I...I lied to you.
It's the black ring, it's not your fault.
Sorry, Mei-Ling. It was my fault. If only I kept my eye on you.

:dogout:Cheer up, elder. We can live somewhere else.
:smugdog: Yeah! We could just move!! Why not?
You folks are very positive around here.
I know!

:drac:I'm going home.

So, once all is said and done the only thing Riki's quest accomplishes is convincing a group of the dumbest species ever to move to out of a region that makes Mordor look cozy.

Lamox Beast

There's no dialogue for the rest of the ending.

We just get shots of Riki chucking the rings in various areas.

Which makes it kind of funny that Nusakan of all the characters gets the last line in the game.

It looks like Nomad is doing alright.

I have no idea why he gave the Healer Ring to Thunder.

Nusakan gets one as well.

Now that it's ending I suppose I should say something about Riki's quest.

But there's not too much that hasn't been said.

It's got some interesting ideas, crippled by poor execution and tons of "gotcha" moments for the player.

And as Riki chucks the black ring into Mount Doom off in the distance, it just reminds you of how little you actually accomplish.

And the game sends us off with a hideously garish font truly worthy of Riki's quest. Good Riddance.

RQHY FINAL COUNT: 15!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I had thought it actually removed all the other Rings from your inventory (and equipment! you could have maybe had other things in that slot, but now it's empty! hope you knew beforehand) once Mei-Ling popped hers. Am I just totally misremembering?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That actually is just like... it's not the worst thing the game throws at you, but after everything else that it's done and not really indicating that Mei-Ling is going to heel turn right before the boss, that's just a poo poo move all around. I read that and just stopped for a second.

This scenario really does hate you. Jesus.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Raitzeno posted:

I had thought it actually removed all the other Rings from your inventory (and equipment! you could have maybe had other things in that slot, but now it's empty! hope you knew beforehand) once Mei-Ling popped hers. Am I just totally misremembering?

That would be a truly memorable dick move, giving you the Lord Ring and a chance to see its description and then yanking it away before you get the chance to use it. That's it, boy, hop for the carrot, ha ha ha ha ha.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Bufuman posted:

That would be a truly memorable dick move, giving you the Lord Ring and a chance to see its description and then yanking it away before you get the chance to use it. That's it, boy, hop for the carrot, ha ha ha ha ha.

Losing the Healer Ring would probably be worse, honestly. Especially if you don't know you can prevent Rev9.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ah, yep, that's it. That's what I remembered it being.

Now, remember way, way, way back in the first update for Riki's quest, back when we first met Mei-Ling?

dude789 posted:

Listen Riki, the world's full of bad people who will take advantage of you. From now on, don't show your ring to just anyone.

Yeah. gently caress Riki's quest forever.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

dude789 posted:

:dogout:Cheer up, elder. We can live somewhere else.
:smugdog: Yeah! We could just move!! Why not?

And that's the greatest gently caress you of all. Once the rings are shown to be evil and you've failed utterly some random NPC solves the whole problem in under five seconds. All of that horrible crap you've played through? Completely pointless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, umm...I could tolerate the bad fights and stuff because it might just come from lack of proper playtesting. That ending has no such justification though, who the hell thought it was a good idea to make the entire goddamn quest pointless? It's an incredibly unsatisfying ending! Turning one of your characters into the final boss was a pretty bad move too.

I have to wonder if this quest really was made to spite the player after all.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Stroth posted:

And that's the greatest gently caress you of all. Once the rings are shown to be evil and you've failed utterly some random NPC solves the whole problem in under five seconds. All of that horrible crap you've played through? Completely pointless.

And now I'm wondering if the guy who wrote Gundam AGE has played Saga Frontier.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The one silver lining to this whole fiasco is that only my favorite stories/characters are left at this point. We hit rock bottom, it's all up from here.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
That last "Riki's Quest Hates You"... that's the one that got me as a kid.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yup, that's the ~FINAL gently caress YOU~. I never saw it for myself because I was stuck at Virgil, but my cousin told me about it. I knew right then and there that Saga Frontier would be my favorite game I would never ever finish.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I found the reason for Master Ring's raised defense on Gamefaqs. In what should be no surprprise, it's actually because of a bug. Some of the other monsters don't get cleared away properly when they switch out of the active enemy lineup. This causes their armor to be inherited by whatever takes their place. So if Lich, for example, briefly takes Master Ring's center spot and is then wiped out, Master Ring will now have Lich's equipment, and thus higher defense. Not all of the monsters have this bug attached, but enough of them are that it's very likely to happen.

Now as for the ending... it's not very satisfying but perhaps if we looked at it this way:
1. Lots of people now know that the rings are evil, so it's less likely that people will gather them again in the near future.
2. The Black ring was left on Margmel, which will soon be destroyed. Thus, it is highly likely that one of the rings will soon cease to exist, and no one will be able to wish anymore. (Though if not, Margmel's remains might make a cool final dungeon for the sequel that will never be made).
3. Before Riki went on this quest, no one knew whether the Lummox could survive a life in other regions. Now they know the answer is yes.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Like, the idea of moving out wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the exclamation points and all. Like, compare these two.

"We could just move! Why not!?"

"We could just... move..."

Like, he just seems SO PSYCHED about his INCREDIBLE IDEA that it makes everything else seem insulting. As opposed to being resigned to losing your homeland.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
And there it is, there's the big gently caress you, the big, unavoidable, plot-based gently caress you.

"Ahaha you accomplished nothing and your stupid friends just shrug and decide to move, you didn't even have to go on that quest, Riki. gently caress you. gently caress you Riki."

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Moving on for a moment, let's talk about party options. Riki does get 5 party members before needing to do any fighting, and just enough other people to fill up on things.

Riki: Nothing I can really say about him. Find a good form to aim for early on.

Mei-ling: By all rights, she should be a good character, especially in the absence of Rouge. But her turning against you relagates her to the status of early-game crutch. I'd suggest picking up a few Lethalguns from the Junk Shop glitch early on, and using her while you need to. But phase her out once you get alternatives.

Gen: Is probably the best human in Riki's story, good thing you get him so early. Slap a good sword on him and go wild.

T260: The best mech later on, and a good party member. That's not to say you should keep him in your party all the time. Putting him in the secondary party and using that whenever you bump into a mech would give the other humans more of a chance to grow.

Lute: Usually a bad character, but get him anyway so you won't be a man down in Tanzer. Give him a sword for Deflect, or two Lethal guns if you want to use the Junk shop glitch. Consider making him your designated magic user when Mei-ling is phased out. Since there aren't many other options in the early game, he might surprise you.

Fei-on: Use him when you don't have many other options. Consider trying to get the DSC on him.

Emelia: I'm not sure when it's safe to get her, but once you do she's pretty reliable. If Lute and Fei-lon aren't working out, switching her in instead could work.

Engineercar: A second mech might be what you need to get through difficult boss fights. There's no reason not to pick him up.

Dr. Nukasan: Don't skip him. As one of the better mystics, he can come in handy and is simpler to build up if your humans aren't working out.

Mesarthim: Don't skip her either. She has advantages and disadvantages compared to Nukasan, but can fill the same role. Also, she's the only one in the quest with the Rune gift, although Victory is store bought if you really want it.

Annie: By now, you probably have decided on your final party already. But she's a good bet for the DSC if Fei-on isn't working out.

Fuse: Yeah. If you want everyone to get the Arcane gift, this is when you'd get him. As usual, joining time and the shield quest's difficulty combine to make him hard to use, even without the glitch we just saw.

Sei: You're forced to get him, and can be useful early on. But you're probably better off building up your humans and mystics instead of picking him up early.

Kylin: A tempting choice if you can reach him. Of course, there's no point asking him to join if your party is full, which it might be.

Suzaku: Honestly, I have no idea how effective he is. Good starting form, but hard to get.

Thunder: He's as good as he always is.

Cotton: Well, you can pick this one up early on if you want, but Thunder is easier to get, and Riki has a decent party immediately. He's a more valid option in other quests, though that might be hard to believe...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The last big gameplay gently caress You was Mei-Ling, but I'm with the group that finds the "We can just move!" to be the bigger slap in the face. All that bullshit and some random loving moron in a sea of loving morons just happens to drool long enough to come up with the right answer, and your suffering meant nothing.

gently caress you, Riki. gently caress you and good loving night. Let's get Asellus going so we can get some good gameplay going.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I really thought RQHY would be higher, but then again I also included Revolution9 (not knowing it could be dispelled) and the ending itself as gently caress yous too.

Now that the worst is behind us, let us all enjoy the rest of the game.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

FeyerbrandX posted:

I really thought RQHY would be higher, but then again I also included Revolution9 (not knowing it could be dispelled) and the ending itself as gently caress yous too.

Now that the worst is behind us, let us all enjoy the rest of the game.

:hfive: Yeah only good stuff ahead.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wow. I called Mei-Ling screwing you over - a real game-play gently caress you.

I'd not only say the 'we can move' is a gently caress you, but also having the wish going on to remove all the Lummox with no prior indication that it would act like the genie in wishmaster is another gently caress you moment as it made Riki's quest actively harmful to his people.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Now that it's not a spoiler anymore, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that "Mei-Ling" means something in Chinese, something foreshadowy. Does anyone else know?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Let's just ignore the Chinese translation for a moment and realize that "Mei-Ling" could easily be parsed as "Ma(ster) Ring". Yeah. Subtle as a brick to the face.

Also, as awesome as the Master Ring battle music is, am I the only one who thinks the intro of the song sounds like the game itself laughing at you?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Wow. I called Mei-Ling screwing you over - a real game-play gently caress you.

I'd not only say the 'we can move' is a gently caress you, but also having the wish going on to remove all the Lummox with no prior indication that it would act like the genie in wishmaster is another gently caress you moment as it made Riki's quest actively harmful to his people.

And lets not forget the couple of lives ruined by riki along the way. :v:

Seriously lummox are the dumbest loving race. Your home is about to explode, do you

A) get out of there before you all die. Seriously spaceship rides are $10 for a group of people in this universe.
Or
B) send one of your own out on a dangerous mission to find out if the rumors of magical relics that grant wishes is true. Sit around waiting to die. And then poorly choose your words of that wish, so that your entire race dies anyways. This also draws the attention of evil powers that are also after the rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh, I suppose I could see it, though I suspect it's coincidence.

Mei-Ling in Japan is Meiren.

Mei can basically mean "no", it's used to negate something. Ren means various things but could be called "feeling of altruism".

So, if it's not coincidence, her name really could mean "not an altruist".

Basically depends on which characters they used. It could also mean "beautiful", so...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread