Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

0-2 so far. I also barely got any removal. The only plus side is I opened another Vampire King after getting one during yesterday's VIP tournament too. I also got a Zombie Plague tonight. So I guess there is that. Hoping I face some really bad decks the last two rounds so I can get another couple of AAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Round 2 my opponent and I each lost 1 game to bugs (inability to pass priority) so it was kind of a non-round where I flooded in the one game I got to play.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I wonder how they will reimburse me for my priority bar vanishing. Anyone get bugged out of a VIP before?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
On the official forums Colin seemed to suggest that people would get a full reimbursement (including packs / etc) but obviously people are still whining because they don't get the chance to win these cool AA cards (assuming they don't play in the constructed VIP I guess)

I kind of get that but on the other hand they will get the chance to win different AA cards when these ones rotate out - and I mean if they rotate out after next month that just increases the probability that they'll be Set 2 AA cards (probably the first Set 2 AA cards we'll see!)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I assumed they would give a non-expiring VIP ticket and a Sealed ticket. Although, there are some cases where maybe packs/AA's are warranted like if you can prove you had 2 wins but wasn't able to get to that point due to bugs.

Should have had a little more faith in my deck. Round 2 the guy said he had a bad starting hand and bad mulligan, then the next game I just steamrolled him. Round 3 wind whisperer and volcannon won me the match along with being able to burn/sapper 3x of my opponents flight trainers.

Glad I got my set of AA's in sealed because I don't have a great deck for constructed and will probably just be wasting my plat next month.

I noticed there was a bug sometimes if you joined with an expiring ticket and if you backed out it would be an non-expiring ticket :ssh:. Not sure if it was just a display bug or not. Not sure if it's worth risking VIP tickets to to check.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I guess I can't complain too much then. 6 packs for $0 is nice. Kind of sucks I lose two rounds because of a missing priority bar, though.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Somehow managed to go 4-0 again with a much worse deck.

My round 2 opponent had a priority bug in game 1, giving me a free advantage there. My round 4 opponent apparently DCed right near the start of game 2 with me up a game, and never came back. Kind of a lovely way to get the 4-0, but I guess I'll take it.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Had a few really good close tight games, but had even more decided by flood or screw one way or another. Went 2-2 which is about what I expected, though I did get a bug that prevented me from sideboarding so at least I can send in a ticket. Also having Sappers Charge be the only piece of removal that can kill something bigger than X/1 is hard mode.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Pulled off going 2-2 after starting off 0-2. Third round opponent was having connection issues which allowed me to get the win, and fourth round opponent didn't have much of a deck. On top of getting two Vampire Kings I'm pretty happy with the results of these two tournaments.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
katkillad2 that bug you mentioned is known by the devs, I reported it yesterday on the official forums + support site and they deleted the post. I imagine they probably won't ban anyone for it but who knows if they'll let us keep the spoils

Grim fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 26, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I kind of wish sealed would be an option for all VIP tournaments. I'm enjoying this much more than last month's constructed tournament. Went 3-1 today with a pretty sweet diamond/sapphire deck with Angel of Dawn and Ancestor's Chosen. After all the rounds were over, I looked at all the cards in my deck and realized that every single one of them had done significant work towards at least one of my wins. I guess I can't ask for much more.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Thoom posted:

I kind of wish sealed would be an option for all VIP tournaments. I'm enjoying this much more than last month's constructed tournament. Went 3-1 today with a pretty sweet diamond/sapphire deck with Angel of Dawn and Ancestor's Chosen. After all the rounds were over, I looked at all the cards in my deck and realized that every single one of them had done significant work towards at least one of my wins. I guess I can't ask for much more.

I agree. I had a lot of fun playing in the sealed tournaments and know I'd probably just get frustrated in constructed due to not having the right cards to make a strong deck. I feel like my chances are much better in sealed.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm on the opposite page. I got a lovely sealed pool whereas I could have made pretty much any deck I wanted to for constructed.

That said, for those who didn't kickstart for like $750, sealed is probably way better.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I've got a full playset of set 1, I just don't like conforming to the constructed meta.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Thoom posted:

I've got a full playset of set 1, I just don't like conforming to the constructed meta.

I just feel like in constructed at least I have a shot. Sealed is such a crap shoot. Not that the bugs helped either. Either me or my opponent get bugged out of 5 games in 4 rounds (4 for me 1 for them).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I have a Wild Root Dancer in my sealed pool but I just can't run Wild with my deck :( The only rare I'm actually using is Eurig the Robomancer. That said I did get a Pterobot, a Worker Factory, and a Volcannon, so I'm optimistic about getting at least 2 match wins.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Blergh, another sealed with no bomb rares, opened a cerulean mirror knight but there's no support in sapphire to explore it, so playing troops + 3 repel/2 murder and hoping to get at least a 2-2.

http://twitch.tv/lightreaper

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ok, last sealed pool:

2 Master Theorycrafter
Battle Beetle
Boulder Brute
3 Sappers Charges
4 Gem-Crazed Berserkers
Chaos Key

I guess I know what colors I'm going!

e: first game is a loss to a turn 4 Reginald mill :suicide:

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 26, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I don't have anything against constructed, I just don't understand why they are forcing people to play a format they might not enjoy whether it's constructed or sealed. I wish they would make tickets expire at the end of the month and last 31 days so people can have a choice. Obviously there are plenty of people who prefer constructed so it's not like those tournaments wont fire.

Also, I don't know how their solution to the problem with VIP wasn't to make a VIP program that didn't offer pack incentives. Just charge a monthly fee for the VIP tickets at a chance to get awesome AA's.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Won my first round. Game 1 was bleh, opponent kept a 2 shard hand and didn't draw another shard the entire game. I didn't get a sapphire shard until turn 6 or 7 or so, but I had a Volcannon so once I did I just won since he had nothing to do. Game 2 was good at least, we both got resources (though he didn't get double diamond for his Noble Citizenry). I ended up grinding him out with Eurig and two Shield Trainers providing my guys enough defense to make his attacks unprofitable.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

I don't have anything against constructed, I just don't understand why they are forcing people to play a format they might not enjoy whether it's constructed or sealed. I wish they would make tickets expire at the end of the month and last 31 days so people can have a choice. Obviously there are plenty of people who prefer constructed so it's not like those tournaments wont fire.

Also, I don't know how their solution to the problem with VIP wasn't to make a VIP program that didn't offer pack incentives. Just charge a monthly fee for the VIP tickets at a chance to get awesome AA's.

They don't really need a program for that though. They can just make occasional tournaments with AA prizes and charge whatever entry fee they feel appropriate.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I have a really bad problem with not having any removal in my pools. But Te'talca and Volcannon is a pretty sweet combo, so I think I'll live.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Blah, just lost round 2 due to a bad double misplay on my part. I had a Volcannon, a worker bot, and a 3/1 ragebird out, opponent was down to 7, he plays a Roostasaur, I Stormcall but not in response to him playing the Roostasaur. He tapped his board to power it up to sacrifice it, and I had Reversion in my hand but didn't play it. He ended up winning the game at 2 life; the Roostasaur gained him 6 and would have only gained him 1 or 2 if I'd played either card properly.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Somehow managed to go 4-0 again with a much worse deck.

My round 2 opponent had a priority bug in game 1, giving me a free advantage there. My round 4 opponent apparently DCed right near the start of game 2 with me up a game, and never came back. Kind of a lovely way to get the 4-0, but I guess I'll take it.

I would have killed for that pool. I can see that deck going 4-0 easily. I had to tri color in both my tourneys just to get enough playable cards for a deck.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

Blah, just lost round 2 due to a bad double misplay on my part. I had a Volcannon, a worker bot, and a 3/1 ragebird out, opponent was down to 7, he plays a Roostasaur, I Stormcall but not in response to him playing the Roostasaur. He tapped his board to power it up to sacrifice it, and I had Reversion in my hand but didn't play it. He ended up winning the game at 2 life; the Roostasaur gained him 6 and would have only gained him 1 or 2 if I'd played either card properly.

To be fair, I don't think Reversion would have worked. He'd just sacrifice in response.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Went 3-1 in my VIP sealed today with a great pool to do it. Went Ruby/Sapphire/Diamond with a midrange-y control strategy. Had the Sapphire Ascension->Lightning Armada, Hero of Adamanth, Lord Alexander, Ashwing Harpy as rares, with Cloud Elemental, Burn to the Ground, and double Noble Citizenry to get me there. Played Lionel as my champ and he was always a pounding; being able to +3/+0 the 1/3 flier for 2 was fantastic every time I got to do it.

Only round I dropped was when I slammed my opponent game 1 with beats and sealed it with Burn to the Ground, and the following two rounds I got shard screwed into shard flood while my opponent casually dropped T4 Vampire King in both games 2 and 3.

I even had Test of Faith in my board that I brought in against a slow gimmicky Shin'hare deck. Dropped it t5 when my opponent had only a Shroomshaw, voided 5 cards, and proceeded to top-deck Burn for his just-played Eulagist and a Solitary Exile for his 4/1 Vulture. Turns out 20 power of flying angels is hard to beat!

E: Best value plays I got to make were Sniper of Gawain, kill a dude. Opponent plays as a 5/4. I untap, Lionel buff Sniper, drop Devoted Emissary. Opponent Atrophies my Emissary to swing in for 5, I snipe his guy the following turn and he doesn't have any big threats to stop the beats afterwards.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Whew, eeked out a 2-2 record in today's VIP Sealed. Deck was Eurig, Volcannon, Pterobot, Elite Battle Tech, Wind Whisperer, Inner Conflict, Mesmerize, Time Ripple, Worker Bot Factory, 2 Countermagics, and 2 Thunderbirds, plus assorted filler. Eurig, despite how slow he is, won me several games, and Elite Battle Tech remains bonkers, especially with a Worker Bot Factory.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ended up 2-2. I was on track to win round 4, but I got hilariously color screwed in the last game and sat there with 2 Bombsmiths and a Sniper of Gawaine in my hand as his turn 2 Thunderbird singlehandedly killed me.

Really shouldn't have kept that 3 sapphire opening hand, but I thought with 18 resources I'd be fairly safe.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I had a grand plan to have me and 5 friends play this game like... last year. Never came to fruition so I used all their squire codes on one account and opened like 100 bucks worth of packs. Would anyone be interested in what I got, and be willing to possibly pay real money for a trade? If so I'll fire it up and get a list. The big Get I remember was some guy who goes in the other guy's deck if he hits you, and if you draw him he fucks you up.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This site is pretty useful in that it lists (1 month out of date) Auction House price data for each card; http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/

Average price for Reginald Lancashire was about 360 platinum or a little less than $3.60 US

The HexTCGPro store also lists stuff for real-monies so that might be useful to compare card prices

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Oh nice. Sucks that my account is basically worthless but hey, good to know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

signalnoise posted:

Packs at this point are generally worth more than the cards in them, because packs can be used for drafting etc. I think once open beta hits there will be an upswing in prices, so good plan is probably to wait till then to sell off your rares.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

signalnoise posted:

Don't look at card prices, they're misleading. I wait for pack prices to swing to around $1.50 and sell a few off. I take a few to drafts using the platinum I got from selling packs, win more packs, sell packs, and repeat the process. Sometimes if I see strong rares or legendarys during drafts, i'll raredraft them to sell.

My account has over 9,000(heh) platinum on it, and my total packs have only gone down from 100 to 73.

To be totally honest, making platinum is the most fun I have in this game right now. Set 1 is getting kind of stale.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Apparently the "Waiting for your opponent to join" screen with the 6 minute clock doesn't actually count against your opponents in game time. Just played someone and it went to zero giving me the win, then about 4 minutes into the next timer when they finally showed up and had a full clock after not being connected for 10 minutes.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Played a draft tonight. Opponent randomly conceded in the finals after only one turn. Won a primal pack. Went to spin chests, spun 14, ended up with more gold than I started with, 2 legendaries (Mastery of Time and Fist of Brig) and 6 or 7 rares.

Some nights you just get all the luck.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I can't seem to play any AI games, anytime I try to continue the tutorialish stuff or play a regular vs-AI game, I get the starfield background and then nothing happens for minutes afterwards. Doesn't look like a known issue on their support forums and repairing the install makes no difference. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Anyone that had to submit a support ticket for VIP tourneys been reimbursed yet? They are usually really good about it, but I had an open ticket for that, and an open ticket for an 8 man constructed. They already worked the constructed 8 out, even though it required extra information and the like, and I've yet to hear anything at all on the VIP tourney issue.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Here is Stovetop posted:

Anyone that had to submit a support ticket for VIP tourneys been reimbursed yet? They are usually really good about it, but I had an open ticket for that, and an open ticket for an 8 man constructed. They already worked the constructed 8 out, even though it required extra information and the like, and I've yet to hear anything at all on the VIP tourney issue.

I haven't received anything yet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

The theory is that they are contemplating if there is anymore compensation required than normal for the VIP tournaments from what I gather on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

bitprophet posted:

I can't seem to play any AI games, anytime I try to continue the tutorialish stuff or play a regular vs-AI game, I get the starfield background and then nothing happens for minutes afterwards. Doesn't look like a known issue on their support forums and repairing the install makes no difference. Has this happened to anyone else?
I'm having the exact same problem. Posted on the Hex forums and nobody knew what I was talking about. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help, nor did repairing the install. What sort of machine are you running? Can you play games against live opponents?

• Locked thread