Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The way Valeri's knee buckled when he planted his foot you could tell something was damaged.

Regardless, Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

highme fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

Also news, Valeri apparently tore his ACL.

good thing we didn't go to the playoffs, I guess?

:suicide:

drat, Valeri was amazing this year, and pretty much carried Portland into the playoffs. I hope he makes a good recovery, I want to see him have good games for years.

Except when he plays Seattle of course.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if Orlando and NYCFC just dominate out of the gate, since there isn't much competition

Perhaps that was the plan all along... :tinfoil:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Pretty sure I won the MLS Fantasy final. :smug:

Higuain Chipshots are champions! Who cares about all this other stuff like Chivas disbanding, dispersal draft, league realignment, playoffs, etc.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

insider posted:

Pretty sure I won the MLS Fantasy final. :smug:

Higuain Chipshots are champions! Who cares about all this other stuff like Chivas disbanding, dispersal draft, league realignment, playoffs, etc.

I was going to wait until Wednesday when the stat adjustments are final, but gently caress it. Someone might get a really good Dewey Defeats Truman thing out of it, but I'm pretty sure of the result.

:siren: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE A WINNER! :siren:

code:
Higuain Chipshots	53 - 45		the Malachi brunch
CONGRATULATIONS HIGUAIN CHIPSHOTS! You are the 2014 Something Awful MLS Fantasy League CHAMPION!

Your prize, the 2014 Steve Sampson Cup™ and an LA Galaxy prize pack, will be on its way to your door!

Thank You, the Malachi Brunch for a wonderful final full of gripping action and edge-of-your-seat excitement!

And Thank You MLS Thread for (barely) tolerating this thing, and also for all 52 of you who participated!

note: Higuain Chipshots and the Malachi Brunch, PM me an address and your prizes will be sent this week. And yours is still not engraved Qu, but it's gonna happen and ship this week.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

CONGRATULATIONS HIGUAIN CHIPSHOTS! You are the 2014 Something Awful MLS Fantasy League CHAMPION!

note: Higuain Chipshots and the Malachi Brunch, PM me an address and your prizes will be sent this week. And yours is still not engraved Qu, but it's gonna happen and ship this week.

Yes! Congratulations!

And thank you, BB, for helping run the drat thing! It was a lot of fun!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

:siren: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE A WINNER! :siren:

code:
Higuain Chipshots	53 - 45		the Malachi brunch

I claim this championship in the name of the Columbus Crew. Hopefully this fake championship will lead us on to the real one!

I had a lot of fun doing this so thanks for running it. I think I like it better than NFL Fantasy, but maybe its because I was good at this and suck at regular football fantasy. PM sent.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Oh good, That means the Colorado Rapids playoff chances go from nearly zero to zero now we have to play SKC and Houston more then like once. :suicide:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LionYeti posted:

Oh good, That means the Colorado Rapids playoff chances go from nearly zero to zero now we have to play SKC and Houston more then like once. :suicide:

We are now Chivas 2.0. Excuse me while I go hang myself with my Pablo scarf.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

What the hell is this?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You should plug your phone in.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I like to live dangerously. That still doesn't explain why they've put a central division in the standings list.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Cause they wanted to gently caress with people?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

SeaTard posted:

What the hell is this?

:smug:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

SeaTard posted:

What the hell is this?

Thousands of years ago, before Cascadia invented MLS, there was a central division. And at the rate we're expanding, and the possibility of a Minnesota team in the future, it might not be an awful plan.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Thousands of years ago, before Cascadia invented MLS, there was a central division. And at the rate we're expanding, and the possibility of a Minnesota team in the future, it might not be an awful plan.

Houston hasn't won that division yet, so I'm all for it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

If it goes to 21 teams, a Central division makes sense. I was mostly just surprised because they announced that it would be East/West, but then updated the Standings page with E/W/C.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
in my very humble opinion, mls should merge into a single table and try to implement some sort of promotion and relegation because it's literally the only way to improve the quality of play in the united states of america

welp i guess i'll see you guys in 2015 after dropping that truth bomb

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fucitol posted:

in my very humble opinion, mls should merge into a single table and try to implement some sort of promotion and relegation because it's literally the only way to improve the quality of play in the united states of america

welp i guess i'll see you guys in 2015 after dropping that truth bomb

Have the 21 Red Bulls worn off yet

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

insider posted:

I claim this championship in the name of the Columbus Crew. Hopefully this fake championship will lead us on to the real one!

Fuckin :woop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeaTard posted:

If it goes to 21 teams, a Central division makes sense. I was mostly just surprised because they announced that it would be East/West, but then updated the Standings page with E/W/C.

I bet they don't add a third conference till 24 but a third conference would be cool.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Have the 21 Red Bulls worn off yet

Feel like I've been awake for twenty years. Doing God's work, now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I bet they don't add a third conference till 24 but a third conference would be cool.

In true "MLS gonna MLS" fashion, instead of 3 conferences, they go to 6. One conference is entirely Southern California. Another is New York. And the Pacific Northwest conference is locked into their own bubble and not released until MLS playoffs.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Personally I like the idea of a 24 team league in two conferences of 12 it lets the MLS add pretty much everyone who has a reasonable shot of getting in, then all the markets not filled can become a second division like the NASL ,but I doubt the current iteration will survive.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Look man, all I want is a loving balanced schedule.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

I just want a league stable enough that it doesn't hemorrhage teams.

RIP Chivas USA
RIP Mutiny
RIP Fusion
RIP San Jose Clash/Earthquakes c. 2006

Future RIP RBNY

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Fucitol posted:

RIP Chivas USA
RIP Mutiny
RIP Fusion

Future RIP RBNY

Does San Jose really go in that list? Also, it would be great if RBNY go back to the MetroStars if Red Bull wants out.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fucitol posted:

RIP Chivas USA
RIP Mutiny
RIP Fusion

Future RIP RBNY

On the plus side, the death of the Mutiny gave way to the rebirth of the Rowdies and a solid, if small, fan base. The death of the Fusion was good for everybody, because gently caress Miami. The relocation of the Clash to Houston is a wash, considering New Quakes popped up shortly thereafter and they've got a shiny new stadium. And Chivas...best to pull the plug on that for something healthier.

Teams moving is a time-honored tradition in American sports, though I wish it wasn't. The NBA is hilarious in that regard - I think it's the Kings that have moved everywhere under the sun. Hell, baseball's Rays are rumored to be moving to Montreal, which is madness. Hockey has threats to move anywhere all the time. The NFL has a nuclear Los Angeles option at all times. The base teams are solid, though, and that matters. Most of our teams have roots, stadiums, solid-if-unspectacular cash flow. And we're all still worried that we're going to Do An NASL any minute and fold, so any news of Philly not paying their taxes, Chivas being weird, the continued insistence on calling them Real Salt Lake is taken seriously. We're loving PTSD soccer fans.

Also a fun exercise: have you ever given a gently caress about lacrosse? Because holy poo poo, the movement on those leagues. I still have my old box lacrosse Maryland Arrows pennant around here somewhere.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hungryjack posted:

Does San Jose really go in that list? Also, it would be great if RBNY go back to the MetroStars if Red Bull wants out.

New Jersey MetroStars. Just tell the truth of who you are and embrace it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Star Man posted:

We are now Chivas 2.0. Excuse me while I go hang myself with my Pablo scarf.

I would not be surprised in the least if we get moved to like Sacramento.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

Does San Jose really go in that list?

If I was a San Jose fan I'd be saltier than RSL, tbh.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

On the plus side, the death of the Mutiny gave way to the rebirth of the Rowdies and a solid, if small, fan base. The death of the Fusion was good for everybody, because gently caress Miami. The relocation of the Clash to Houston is a wash, considering New Quakes popped up shortly thereafter and they've got a shiny new stadium. And Chivas...best to pull the plug on that for something healthier.

Teams moving is a time-honored tradition in American sports, though I wish it wasn't. The NBA is hilarious in that regard - I think it's the Kings that have moved everywhere under the sun. Hell, baseball's Rays are rumored to be moving to Montreal, which is madness. Hockey has threats to move anywhere all the time. The NFL has a nuclear Los Angeles option at all times. The base teams are solid, though, and that matters. Most of our teams have roots, stadiums, solid-if-unspectacular cash flow. And we're all still worried that we're going to Do An NASL any minute and fold, so any news of Philly not paying their taxes, Chivas being weird, the continued insistence on calling them Real Salt Lake is taken seriously. We're loving PTSD soccer fans.

Also a fun exercise: have you ever given a gently caress about lacrosse? Because holy poo poo, the movement on those leagues. I still have my old box lacrosse Maryland Arrows pennant around here somewhere.

League contraction is never good. Teams moving is meh and pretty poo poo, but legit losing teams should be cause for alarm for anyone following the league. Also cool people played for Miami, like "Sneaky" Pete Marino, Pablo Mastroeni, Preki, Eric Wynalda, Jay Heaps, Kyle "Judge Dreddlocks" Beckerman, Roy Lassiter, Nick Rimando, and Carlos "overall cool dude" Valderrama. To name a few.

Not that any of those names honestly really mean anything, but the Fusion wasn't too bad, imho. Also I'm sure that without Miami we probably wouldn't have the Supporters' Shield that we know and semi-love. It would probably be the Don Garber Cup in an alternate universe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

New Jersey MetroStars. Just tell the truth of who you are and embrace it.

I want this so loving badly. I like supporting sports teams, but I bought one Red Bulls Jersey and feel so loving stupid about the logo on it that I only ever wear it to games or if I am watching a game at home by myself. Please get a real name and a real logo.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Fucitol posted:

If I was a San Jose fan I'd be saltier than RSL, tbh.

League contraction is never good. Teams moving is meh and pretty poo poo, but legit losing teams should be cause for alarm for anyone following the league. Also cool people played for Miami, like "Sneaky" Pete Marino, Pablo Mastroeni, Preki, Eric Wynalda, Jay Heaps, Kyle "Judge Dreddlocks" Beckerman, Roy Lassiter, Nick Rimando, and Carlos "overall cool dude" Valderrama. To name a few.

Not that any of those names honestly really mean anything, but the Fusion wasn't too bad, imho. Also I'm sure that without Miami we probably wouldn't have the Supporters' Shield that we know and semi-love. It would probably be the Don Garber Cup in an alternate universe.

You missed 3 of my favorite players of all time. Like legitimately, no joke, I loved Welton, Diego Serna, and Jeff Cassar way more than anyone should for no real reason back in the day.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I want this so loving badly. I like supporting sports teams, but I bought one Red Bulls Jersey and feel so loving stupid about the logo on it that I only ever wear it to games or if I am watching a game at home by myself. Please get a real name and a real logo.

Metro shirts are harder to come by, but I'm sure it could be found.

Have you considered going ultra-hipster and finding a NY Greek American ATLAS jersey?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

This is a good idea, because wearing jerseys when you're not watching or playing sports is weird.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
you gotta be making GBS threads me with this trade

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hoover Dam posted:

you gotta be making GBS threads me with this trade

What the gently caress? Tally Hall AND an international spot for Allocation!? Christ on a bike I don't like this team already. That said, Florida's gonna have a hell of a team.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Seattle Sounders have signed 45 year old striker Obafemi Martins to a multi-year deal on his 30th birthday. :woop:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What the gently caress? Tally Hall AND an international spot for Allocation!? Christ on a bike I don't like this team already. That said, Florida's gonna have a hell of a team.

We're going after Cubo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
It's weird for them to pick up a GK now, I remember there being a bunch left unprotected last time.

• Locked thread