Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

but from what I remember, the original developers hated Cataclysm.
I've heard this frequently, but never with a source. Is that actually true or is it just Internet-rumor stuff based on the fact that HW2 didn't reference Cataclysm?

Disco Infiva posted:

I haven't played Homeworld 1 in years, but I remember them being slow as molasses when they run out of fuel, but still capable of moving.
Well, I haven't played Homeworld 1 in years as well. So... Woops. I do recall AI ships that have run out of fuel not moving anymore in the campaign. But maybe they did move really slowly and I never noticed it? :shrug:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Behold, a source!

It seems Sierra pushed for an expansion but Relic refused, meaning it was given to another team - and explaining the "expandalone" nature of the game.

I remember some very exciting early Cataclysm advertising which still had the game as an expansion pack and promised skirmishes with the original factions as well as the new ones (which I think would have plugged a few of Cataclysm's weirder balance aspects in multiplayer). I particularly remember that preview because it promised us Turanic Raiders in skirmish. Even though I can't see how it would have worked, I'm still sad we missed out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I thought it was more that Relic hated the plot and the way Barking Dog took the lore rather than anything about the game part of the game.

Both of which I disagree strongly with anyways.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain Cataclysm is the best Homeworld game. Still, the thread is getting dangerously off the rails. We need an update. But no pressure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I still maintain Cataclysm is the best Homeworld game. Still, the thread is getting dangerously off the rails. We need an update. But no pressure.

At least we're talking about Homeworld! If this was a Chip Cheezum thread someone would manage to steer the thread into talking about anime, again.

Also you're right about Cataclysm and anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I know berryjon already has a title for the Cataclysm thread in mind, and I agree that line is a pretty awesome line, but I think it'd be more appropriate to have some variation on 'Be advised, this is a mining LP: Let's Play Homeworld: Cataclysm' as the title.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's the one I accidentally suggested in the Sandcastle for this, because that's the best loving line in the series.
WE WILL NOT BE BOUND

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I hope it's the one I accidentally suggested in the Sandcastle for this, because that's the best loving line in the series.

berryjon posted:

Then I might take a break and do Cataclysm. Already have a thread title picked out and everything! At least this LP doesn't pretend to be RIGHTEOUS! Let's Play Homeworld: Cataclysm. Because, honestly, is there any other moment that encapsulates that game so well?

It's a great moment, yes, but I dunno about 'encapsulates the game'.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

HD cutscene preview vid

I was actually disappointed in the vid... I like that kind of unpolished concept art look, and IMO they have refined the look too much.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Haerc posted:

I was actually disappointed in the vid... I like that kind of unpolished concept art look, and IMO they have refined the look too much.

Completely agreed. They very obviously replaced hand-drawn work with 3D renders.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

It's a great moment, yes, but I dunno about 'encapsulates the game'.

For me, Cataclysm will be forever encapsulated by blowing a large hole into the main enemy fleet with my super-cannon and sending in my own force for an easy slaughter. :v:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Haerc posted:

I wouldn't call it refined, I would call it cheap. Let's be honest here. This is something a single artist could crank out on a weekend with today's tools. What they showed is most definitely not "The Difference 15 Years Can Make". :sigh: Why were we putting hope into a Gearbox project again?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah I would have expected them to showcase new ship models and graphics, not hand drawn cutscenes that don't really age (I still have no idea why do they feel the need to remake them at all).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Libluini posted:

For me, Cataclysm will be forever encapsulated by blowing a large hole into the main enemy fleet with my super-cannon and sending in my own force for an easy slaughter. :v:

You mean being an idiot and not knowing what an Y-axis is, missing the target over and over until you give up and just ram your fleet into it. :(

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah I would have expected them to showcase new ship models and graphics, not hand drawn cutscenes that don't really age (I still have no idea why do they feel the need to remake them at all).

:Gearbox: Because gently caress you, it's High Def, supporting resolutions of up to 4000 pixels across! :Gearbox:

I haven't laid money down on the HD remakes myself. I'm bitter enough over C:BE that I don't want to risk getting burned like that again.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, after getting burned on Duke Nukem Forever for being a total shitfest and Borderlands 2 being nauseatingly unfun, I don't have much faith in the Homeworld remakes Gearbox is making, especially after seeing the cutscenes being given the "It's HD, but bland and boring" treatment. Who knows what else they're gonna screw up, they might as well nerf the Salvage Corvettes if they really wanna gently caress it up.

EDIT: That's good to hear. Honestly all I want out of the remakes is to able to play on higher resolutions without doing some jankey registry hack.
v

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 29, 2014

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
my understanding was it was less a remake and more a reskin the fact that they are changing things is...eh. they are including an optimised version of the original in each release though

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 29, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

Haegemonia: Legions of Iron tried to combine the gameplay of Homeworld and Master of Orion, but with mixed results.

Great graphics and a good soundtrack, though. It had a way of estimating how big an ongoing battle was and changing the battle music track accordingly. I might LP it some day if I find a way to run it for more than an hour without a crash.

I still have that game, bee thinking of reinstalling, but how unstable is it?

Also I just started replaying Homeworld, really despise the frigate cap, already have 13 ion frigates+4 assault frigates+1support frigate.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kibayasu posted:

At least we're talking about Homeworld! If this was a Chip Cheezum thread someone would manage to steer the thread into talking about anime, again.

hey guys who wants to read my fifty-page Lucky Star/Homeworld crossover fanfic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Pff... Legend of Galactic Heroes/ Homeworld crossover is the obviously superior combination. Reinhard-sama/Karen S'jet OTP.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Ironic animechat is still animechat

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

People are complaining about the cutscenes being 'HD and bland', which isn't without merit, but on the other hand the current cutscenes are pretty bad. They're horribly encoded, and they're weirdly horribly encoded, not just 'low resolution' horribly. Check out the intro video, about three minutes in, where the scene freezes for a couple of seconds, then jumps forward. There are a couple of other weird freezes at the end of the mission 3 video too, and I can confirm they're not issues with berryjon's recording rig or anything; they're there in the pre-encoded videos.

Plus there's the presentation of the cutscenes themselves. I won't dismiss the aesthetic style of composing scenes from still art that's being moved and scaled, but sometimes it looks like it's less because of the art style and more because they ran out of money. Again, in the intro scene, the Scaffold sliding across the sky is very obviously a simple overlay, right down to sliding over one of the buildings just before things fade completely out. And the 'no one returns' cutscene we just saw? The way images are faded to when they haven't even zoomed enough to fit the screen yet is less 'navigating through foggy nebula' and more 'supposedly snazzy Powerpoint transition'.

I think the issue with the cutscenes is less that they're all CG rendered and stuff and more that they're falling into the trap of emulating the original slavishly, a common pitfall in retro remakes. Ideally they'd bring some traditional animators in to make a scene that's actually animated while keeping that pencil-sketch feel, but even with CG, there's much room for improvement. Bring that asteroid into the processing bay not by scaling a sprite or moving a static object along a straight line but by actually showing some forces acting on it! Have Hiigara destroyed using something other than 'flash of light, then debris slowly being moved up the page'! That sort of thing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Stay on topic.

Homeworld is the topic.

Now, I can either update tomorrow with the Skirmish video, or do both on Friday. Which would you prefer?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PurpleXVI posted:

hey guys who wants to read my fifty-page Lucky Star/Homeworld crossover fanfic

The Irresponsible Captain S'jet
HiigaraES
Kushan Bebop

Enjoying this LP, I sucked at HW1 and only got as far as the next mission...

Edit- I'd say space them out over both at once

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

berryjon posted:

Stay on topic.

Homeworld is the topic.

Now, I can either update tomorrow with the Skirmish video, or do both on Friday. Which would you prefer?

I'd prefer both tomorrow, I need my fix.

And about the cutscenes, while they might have been, originally, the result of not having the BUDGET for HARDCORE FULL HD CGI, I think that the end result still has a very unique style of its own that it would be a loving shame to lose. Point on the encoding, though, that needs fixing, but none of the actual content.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The skirmish video might be interesting, but I'd really like to see how you handle the upcoming missions in the nebula as soon as possible.

I've been playing the game while following the LP and things are going alot more smoothly once I've learned to just build a shitton of salvage corvettes, back them up with repair corvettes and support frigates, and just capture enemy ships in batches. There's just something really satisfying about playing space pirate and hijacking everyone's rides. I think salvage corvettes may be the most OP unit in an rts game, right next to APCs loaded up with engineers in the Command & Conquer games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

berryjon posted:

Stay on topic.

Homeworld is the topic.

You better do Wednesday or this whole thread will turn into the general Homeworld thread. Speaking of which!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I wouldn't call it refined, I would call it cheap. Let's be honest here. This is something a single artist could crank out on a weekend with today's tools. What they showed is most definitely not "The Difference 15 Years Can Make". :sigh: Why were we putting hope into a Gearbox project again?

"Unpolished concept art look" is something that an artist could crank out with 1998's tools in a weekend too so I don't understand that complaint. If they took the low-res art in the old cutscenes and just redid to fit modern resolutions it would look horrible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crowsbeak posted:

I still have that game, bee thinking of reinstalling, but how unstable is it?

It's playable, but gets the weirdest hickups every now and then. In one mission, it crashed every time I tried to zoom in on an enemy ship. People's eyes would sometimes pop out of their heads in the communications channel. If you rescued a certain planet too early in a certain mission, you get a certain resistance dude telling you that he's preparing a revolt on that planet about 11 times.

I swear, the unpatched version from my old CD (broken, sadly) worked better than the one available on GOG.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

FredMSloniker posted:

I think the issue with the cutscenes is less that they're all CG rendered and stuff and more that they're falling into the trap of emulating the original slavishly, a common pitfall in retro remakes.

They're emulated slavishly because they are all redone by the same guys who did the original.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

You mean being an idiot and not knowing what an Y-axis is, missing the target over and over until you give up and just ram your fleet into it. :(

I guess I was lucky here, long before accidentally finding Cataclysm and buying it on a whim, I got to try Homeworld at a friend's house. So I was already accustomed to the idea of a 3D-game when starting up Cataclysm.

In Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm both there are a lot of cases where you can absolutely abuse the fact the AI will just make a beeline for you straight ahead. Sending forces above and below while using another force to lure the enemy in works like a charm every time you have enough ships and time to make it happen. :v:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

"Unpolished concept art look" is something that an artist could crank out with 1998's tools in a weekend too so I don't understand that complaint. If they took the low-res art in the old cutscenes and just redid to fit modern resolutions it would look horrible.

I'm not saying the original videos were groundbreaking but at least in 1999 nobody pretended they were, either. They were ugly back then. I doubt Relic were showing them off at conventions to impress people with how far they have come.

But yes if you want to get into stylistic choices such as the sketch outlines I would in fact go ahead and argue that the new one look significantly cheaper and worse because drawing something is hard and making grey blobs is easy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Skirmish 01

I'll be frank, this is probably a boring video to watch as I neuter the enemy AI in set up to allow me to show off units I don't normally fight with. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR TECHS NOT YET REVEALED

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

berryjon posted:

I'll be frank, this is probably a boring video to watch

You are so wrong :) It's a beautiful game, even when the fights are one-sided!

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Also, for the missing field frigate overlay try caps lock.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd imagine that one Defense Field Frigate is going "I'm helping!" :downs:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
What is it that fleet command says at 12:45 in the video? "something something, ships recovered"

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Starhawk64 posted:

I'd imagine that one Defense Field Frigate is going "I'm helping!" :downs:

DFFs can work quite well offensively - they deflect away a carrier or mothership's point-defence shots.

Really, the big problem with the DFF is that it is utterly helpless against ion beams. They're better in Cataclysm because they face opponents with powerful direct-fire guns more often, but in HW1 most of the big threats to a frigate are packing weapons it can't defend against.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Dancer posted:

What is it that fleet command says at 12:45 in the video? "something something, ships recovered"

Crate found. You can find little goodie bags in skirmishes here and there that give RUs, tech or in this case, ships. It is completely random so sometimes you stumble across a group of 6ish Heavy Corvettes or sometimes you get a Drone Frigate.

I'm guessing in a real skirmish you'd bust out a few flights of Interceptors for support around your collectors? This AI just went right for the biggest ships, but sometimes they'll throw some decent waves of strike craft at your collection operation.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 29, 2014

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so I was thinking, do research vessels move? It seems like optimal strategy to immediately move them in the exact opposite direction of the enemy mothership as soon as the game starts. If they get far enough, your opponent will never find them. Space is big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm guessing in a real skirmish you'd bust out a few flights of Interceptors for support around your collectors? This AI just went right for the biggest ships, but sometimes they'll throw some decent waves of strike craft at your collection operation.

There's a special fighter type we haven't seen yet that's optimised for defence. It's excellent for protecting resource operations, and also has a very quick build time enabling you to scramble them quickly when you see a raid coming.

• Locked thread