Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I wore a balaclava when I snowmobiled, so I'd imagine it would work well on a bike too. The hood keeps it high on your neck so you don't have to worry about the wind getting up into the helmet.

I posted this question a week or so ago, but does anyone have any 3/4 length boot recommendations? I tried on the Alpinestar MX-1 and they felt good, but I wasn't that keen on how they looked. I'd like something that wasn't immediately glaringly obvious that it's a motorcycle boot if I'm walking around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I bought one of these for the winter season coming up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/36093630702...fepn=5335869999

hopefully it works

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

rockcity posted:

I wore a balaclava when I snowmobiled, so I'd imagine it would work well on a bike too. The hood keeps it high on your neck so you don't have to worry about the wind getting up into the helmet.

I posted this question a week or so ago, but does anyone have any 3/4 length boot recommendations? I tried on the Alpinestar MX-1 and they felt good, but I wasn't that keen on how they looked. I'd like something that wasn't immediately glaringly obvious that it's a motorcycle boot if I'm walking around somewhere.

RevZilla just did their fall 2014 boot review. Looks like Icon's got a pretty snazzy pair of WP boots that might be in that height range. I have been very happy with TCX boots, too, although not in that height range. I'm more of a riding shoe-style kinda guy. I'm looking for a new pair of WP boots myself. If I had the cash, I'd go with these:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-canyon-gore-tex-boots

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm in a similar boat, I have SMX-5's but I want to get a pair I could comfortably wear off the bike occasionally that aren't full mario bros thwomp stompers. Most "boots" I've seen arent CE rated and are just a smidgen better than a pair of leather work boots or sneakers though. The search continues. :sigh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Chin curtain, that's the phrase i was looking for. Doesn't seen to do much on my rf1100 but on the EXO 400 it was noticeably quieter and less draftier.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a DriRider Fogg Off - has a little 'straw' thing from your mouth that directs your exhalation downwards to stop fogging as well as keeping your face warm. Barely use it because 'Straya though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone know of jacket/pant zip-together systems that aren't Zup? Shipping from ireland to me would be atrocious.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Anyone know of jacket/pant zip-together systems that aren't Zup? Shipping from ireland to me would be atrocious.

Why not just bring your gear to a tailor and say "put a zipper in with half on the pants and half on the jacket". Would probably be way cheap too.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I'm about a month into ownership of my North Face Kaban and am pretty happy with it.

I have the Charged version, which has better internal organization, and comes with a pretty decent battery pack for charging devices. Mine doesn't actually have the battery pack (demo unit), but by all accounts they are pretty good. The laptop sleeve fits my 15.6" notebook inside of a padded sleeve, and there is a second smaller sleeve for my Nexus 7. The side pouches will both hold a Smart Water bottle no problem, and the top pocket is nice for my wallet and whatnot.

Back organization pocket is great. Has a small pouch for glasses, headphones, pen holders and another pocket for a kindle or similar e-reader.

Pack is comfortable carrying my laptop, secondary monitor, power brick, mouse, tablet, kindle, etc... all at once. It sits close to my back when strapped down, and isn't very bulky. Definitely not a grocery-getter bag, but I can fit a few items in it. Haven't had a good opportunity to test out how water resistant it is yet, but it seems like it'll hold up pretty well. It has reflective striping on the back, which is nice.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Doesn't pretty every brand jacket & pants zip together?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, I mean separate brands. I'll try the tailor thing though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Oh, I mean separate brands. I'll try the tailor thing though.

Make sure the tailor actually does bike leathers - sewing machines designed for half-grain and quarter-grain (which most fashion leather clothes are made of) may not be able to work well or at all trying to get through a whole hide, and the thread or stitch may not be strong enough to be crashproof.

A bike-specific tailor will probably have kevlar thread and neoprene-backed zips, both of which aren't absolutely necessary but make things a shitload better (the kevlar should be self-explanatory, the neoprene means you have a bit of give to let you move around.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If it's not a full wraparound zipper, you can just take the zipper stub from the pants and sew it into the zipper flap in the jacket. I've done that a couple times, easy to do, works great. You then got 2 zippers in the jacket, but whatever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had a local tailor swap zippers on my wife's leathers. He swapped out the jacket zipper with the other half of the one that came with the pants. It worked great.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm pretty much burning alive in my Aerostich here in SoCal. What are my options for San Diego riding with the same level of quality and protection?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Motoport full mesh gear:
http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=38&cid=18&Itemid=0

Without the liner, they recommend it for 60->120 degree days.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was looking at that, but this thread makes me concerned.

Although not a lot of options for around these parts, really. :(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just bought a white perforated leather Alpinestars jacket for riding in FL and I'm blown away by how cool it is.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Hoodies are the best for neck warmth. Just wrap the hood around your neck. You can even buy a nice hoodie sweater if you want to be less casual.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I was looking at that, but this thread makes me concerned.

Although not a lot of options for around these parts, really. :(

I've got an a* gp+ air paired with the joe rocket phoenix 3 pants and its perfect. Its a tex/mesh combo. The pants would suit you well, they run a bit long which is nice for us huge folk.

I've also got a tourmaster mesh jacket of some kind, but the a* is a much better fit. Fits like leather vs. Flopping around like mesh.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 26, 2014

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
So (very) newbie rider wanting to get geared for a the thankfully mild winter here in Austin. The other night I tired on a Rev-It jacket (Women's Ignition I, size 44 with liner in) that fit utterly amazingly, tight but still able to move. It's a bit out of my price range thanks to BMW dealership/brokeass but I could swing it. If anyone has any cheaper suggestions that'd fit about like that, I'm all ears. I wandered into a cyclegear and tried on some bilt stuff, but I've heard very mixed reviews for the brand (160% for a leather jacket seems stunningly cheap, but it did seem to fit decently and *broke*)
Also looking for pants and decently inexpensive moderate cold-tolerant gloves.
TL;Dr, tall, lanky newbie looking to get some stuff to be able to commute when ever it's not overly wet/frozen during austin winter/spring, kinda on a budget.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

DrakIris posted:

So (very) newbie rider wanting to get geared for a the thankfully mild winter here in Austin. The other night I tired on a Rev-It jacket (Women's Ignition I, size 44 with liner in) that fit utterly amazingly, tight but still able to move. It's a bit out of my price range thanks to BMW dealership/brokeass but I could swing it. If anyone has any cheaper suggestions that'd fit about like that, I'm all ears. I wandered into a cyclegear and tried on some bilt stuff, but I've heard very mixed reviews for the brand (160% for a leather jacket seems stunningly cheap, but it did seem to fit decently and *broke*)
Also looking for pants and decently inexpensive moderate cold-tolerant gloves.
TL;Dr, tall, lanky newbie looking to get some stuff to be able to commute when ever it's not overly wet/frozen during austin winter/spring, kinda on a budget.

Get on the mailing list for Motorcyclegear.com. They are super nice folks, and weekly (sometimes more often) they have huge sales on gear. Sometimes it's weird sizes, but I've seen some really good deals there.

Check eBay - this is a great season/time to be buying, because a lot of people are all "WELP I CAN'T RIDE NOW BECAUSE OF FALL" and you're likely to find really gently-worn stuff for cheap. I, too, love how Rev'It stuff fits. It's excellent. Not sure who else fits like that, although I think Dainese might be a good choice. They're more expensive, but popular, so you're a lot more likely to find that used. Bilt is basically crap, but really if you're just broke as hell but want to ride, at least you're not wearing a t-shirt and flip flops, you know?

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Lynza posted:

Get on the mailing list for Motorcyclegear.com. They are super nice folks, and weekly (sometimes more often) they have huge sales on gear. {...} Bilt is basically crap, but really if you're just broke as hell but want to ride, at least you're not wearing a t-shirt and flip flops, you know?

Already am! Paying a bit of attention to that email when it comes in. Do you think that Revit jacket I'd mentioned would make a decent winter jacket in Austin? At least with a windbreaker over it or something of course. As to bilt, yeah I kinda got that feel, but the jacket I was looking at felt *okay* between my fingers and smelled like leather at least. I'll probably be hitting up a local store or two on my weekend and seeing if anything pops out at me, I know one carries a fair bit of Dainese and some other brand with a very silmar look, starts with a T I think.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Ended up picking up the Cyclone Polar Buff. I'll let you guys know how it ends up working out in quasi-cold weather (it usually only drops to maybe mid-40s or low 50s here), but I am a fan so far. Anything that has its own 1-minute "How to wear this" video...

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

DrakIris posted:

I know one carries a fair bit of Dainese and some other brand with a very silmar look, starts with a T I think.

Tourmaster? They make good gear at affordable prices. Definitely check them out. More sized for Americans than Europeans.

Tourmaster also makes Cortech which is their sportier line of gear.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, my first set of gear was Tourmaster, and it is a really good inexpensive-but-not-crappy choice. I still use the Overpant from them, in all weather. It's not great for hot weather, but it's been really nice for pretty much everything else. Cheap, too.

I don't know much about Austin's weather; how cold does it get? Do you get much rain in the fall and winter? It looks like the Ignition is pretty much a leather/mesh combo, which basically is intended to let a lot of air through. What I like to do when it's cooler here but dry is wear my Rev-It jacket with a light jacket underneath to keep me a bit warmer, and if it's warm in the afternoon I just throw the jacket in my pack.

A lot of it is going to depend on your cold tolerance, the weather, how fast you're going, etc. If you're doing a lot of highway driving (I do), you will need some decent insulation against the wind, except when it's hot, when you want as much air going through as possible. I have two sets of gear; Rev-It Air pants and jacket, and a FirstGear waterproof/insulated jacket and the Tourmaster overpants.

I'd recommend trying on a bunch of things from different manufacturers if you can. A lot of brands fit all their stuff basically the same, but the difference between brands can be huge. A large Tourmaster might be a XXL in another brand, for instance, or it might fit fine everywhere except the arms, which look like they're sized for a gorilla.

RevZilla is another good place to buy from if your local options aren't very good. They'll do returns for free.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the armor in the Tourmaster stuff replaceable?

Finally got below 60 today here in Denver, feel like I should start prepping for winter.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, at least the jacket and pants I have are. I have the Jett 3 jacket, and the Overpant. The pant doesn't have replaceable hip armor, but it does have knee armor that can be removed and replaced. Same for the jacket; all the armor can be removed and replaced.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I went out and bought a Powerlet heated jacket liner and glove liners and am loving them. Solid construction and very warm. Took a ride in the dark with temps around 40-45 at better than 75mph for two hours and was quite comfortable. I'm sure it could be colder or me riding faster as I only had them turned about halfway up. Only gripe I have is that the jacket liner isn't exactly windproof so if you have a well vented jacket like I do (Olympia Airglide) you'll have to turn the power way up to stay warm. I'm looking for a better cool weather jacket and going to keep the airglide for the summer I think.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

DrakIris posted:

So (very) newbie rider....

The other night I tired on a Rev-It jacket...

I am 5'10" 173 pounds with a 30"x34" inseam and size 40R suit.

I just bought my first riding gear: Rev'it Ceyanne Jacket Large and some sort of Rev'it pants. Both slightly used off the AdvRider.com flea market. They both have a warm liner and water proof liner. $250 + $180 and i could not be happier. All the ADV rider people have been super nice and helpful.

Excellent fit, too warm at 50 degrees f at 75 mph before dawn. I'm going to take out the warm liners and use a small sweater under the jacket unless it dips to 40/f or so.

Bought thin Sedici leather gloves at Cycle Gear and they've worked fine for 30 mile trips so far.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 29, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

How much should I expect to pay for enough gear to get started riding?

Main use would be commuting in very hot weather and comfort is important.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Depends what you are going to get. When I started riding I had a helmet (180) cheap 3 season jacket (150) and really thin gloves that didn't offer protection (30). If I could go back I would spend around 1,000 to buy the proper gloves, boots, etc. I have that stuff now though

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Are you a man or a woman, cause the answer differs by hundreds of dollars. Idk, maybe 7-800 for decently protective atgatt for a guy?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

M42 posted:

Are you a man or a woman, cause the answer differs by hundreds of dollars. Idk, maybe 7-800 for decently protective atgatt for a guy?
Male and that sounds doable.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You can reduce this cost by checking out used gear on CL and adv rider as well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rizuhbull posted:

How much should I expect to pay for enough gear to get started riding?

Main use would be commuting in very hot weather and comfort is important.

Depends on what you're buying. I got stuck on wanting nice gear so I spent waaay more than I should have but I don't really regret it because the gear has saved me on multiple occasions and is still comfortable/durable/protective.
I think I spent about 1700 and that got me a Shoei helmet, Dainese textile jacket, pants and leather gloves, reflective vest and street boots.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

I don't really regret it because the gear has saved me on multiple occasions

Those mailboxes can really come out of nowhere :v:

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

Depends on what you're buying. I got stuck on wanting nice gear so I spent waaay more than I should have but I don't really regret it because the gear has saved me on multiple occasions and is still comfortable/durable/protective.
I think I spent about 1700 and that got me a Shoei helmet, Dainese textile jacket, pants and leather gloves, reflective vest and street boots.
Do you still wear the damaged pieces after crashing? I was under the impression that you should replace them. Does it depend?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

I don't think that's too much in general, I've spent more on what I wear. The risk when you're starting out is that you'll dump thousands on gear and then ride your bike around the block a couple times and discover it's not for you. If you commute every day I think it's reasonable to spend a lot on being comfortable/safe. All you're really adding with the extra money is comfort though, 1000 is plenty to get gear with all the safety features you'd want.

I spent around 700-800 when I first got my bike and then slowly upgraded to more comfortable/better suited/specialized gear as I decided I wasn't going to stop riding. I have way too much poo poo now but at least I use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

I spent around 700-800 when I first got my bike and then slowly upgraded to more comfortable/better suited/specialized gear as I decided I wasn't going to stop riding. I have way too much poo poo now but at least I use it.
I want to do exactly this.