Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

For some reason I just remembered 3D Ultra Pinball existed, I remember that game fondly, but that's probably because of rose tinted glasses, is there any way to get any of the 3D Ultra Pinball games on a modern PC? I kind of want to see if they've held up well. My guess is that they haven't, but I kind of want to give those games a go anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nurge posted:

Various interviews and streams recently have been pretty indicative of them wanting to finish the trilogy, and it's apparently pretty requested. I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere in this season or the next one.

Which makes me remember that they haven't done any of the Comet/Cyclone/Hurricane trio. All non-licensed and somewhat popular as far as I know. Have to assume we'll see some of them down the road.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I also wish there was a prayer of us getting the Premier/Gottlieb Street Fighter II or Super Mario Bros tables. Those are both bizarrely fun.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

A Meat posted:

For some reason I just remembered 3D Ultra Pinball existed, I remember that game fondly, but that's probably because of rose tinted glasses, is there any way to get any of the 3D Ultra Pinball games on a modern PC? I kind of want to see if they've held up well. My guess is that they haven't, but I kind of want to give those games a go anyways.

I have two of them on disc and they seem to run without serious issue on Windows Vista at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Meat posted:

I still have boxed / shrinkwrapped copies of Epic Pinball. The tables are pretty awful.

No I don't know why I have them, leave me alone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What was that horrible/magnificent primitive 3D adventure-themed dinosaur pinball game? I think the publisher was Sierra.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

I still have boxed / shrinkwrapped copies of Epic Pinball. The tables are pretty awful.

No I don't know why I have them, leave me alone.

When I was a kid, my dad maxed out the score on Epic Pinball Pot of Gold. The score didn't roll over, the game froze, and the processor melted down.

Worth it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Discendo Vox posted:

What was that horrible/magnificent primitive 3D adventure-themed dinosaur pinball game? I think the publisher was Sierra.

3-D Ultra Pinball: The Lost Continent. I was partial to 3-D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night myself.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Even though it's really "pinpuck," I really like Galactic Pinball for Virtual Boy. The tables are fun and have a variety of modes, many of them full of winks to Nintendo franchises. The 3D helps with the perspective of the table as well.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tato posted:

Even though it's really "pinpuck," I really like Galactic Pinball for Virtual Boy. The tables are fun and have a variety of modes, many of them full of winks to Nintendo franchises. The 3D helps with the perspective of the table as well.

Yeah, it's a fun game with good music and sound. (Seriously, the VB has a nice set of speakers on it and no one ever really mentions how great the sound is on it, probably because they hardly ever mention the VB.)

The exact workings of some of the tables are a mystery to me still, as I never had the manual and haven't bothered to look at it online yet. Also, my VB is starting to develop the common video problem and I need to fix it.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I dunno if anyone in the thread is Phoenix area but if so, I'm correct in saying the only pinball option in the entire metro valley area is castles and coasters? I was at Golfland a few years back and just as the pinside description I later saw had said, it was like 5 machines with only 1 in working condition. Has anyone been to The King in Scottsdale? They have a table or two maybe? I like the variety I saw at castles and coasters a few years back but I much prefer some beer mixed with my pinball.

A quick update to this old gem that only applies to like 3 people. Over the summer a few local publications mentioned a new barcade called The King opening in Scottsdale, in one of them the owner kinda said that wasn't exactly what they were going for. Their facebook page mentions pinball but I stopped there tonight for a beer and all they had was a busted addams family table. Huge bummer too cause it was right next to a shelf that holds your beer, which is all I really ask. Thanks, whoever mentioned the Tucson place, I had seen them on Pinside, I just don't get to Tucson, ever, used to drive down to the Rialto for shows but not so much anymore. I have some decent chunks of time off so maybe I'll go check it out in the next month, I'll bring back more crap pictures and news if I do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheMcD posted:

3-D Ultra Pinball: The Lost Continent. I was partial to 3-D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night myself.

I spent way too many hours of my life playing the first 3-D Ultra Pinball and Creep Night. I miss those games...are they available anywhere digitally these days?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Apropos of nothing, here's a cover of Black Knight 2000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDOO9iQONM
It's not perfect, but I'm happy that it exists.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tato posted:

Its pretty cool but you really wish you had analog control over the flippers, but you don't, its a purely digital boolean on/off.

Like you said, its more pinpuck, and that's kinda frustrating.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Werthog 95 posted:

Apropos of nothing, here's a cover of Black Knight 2000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDOO9iQONM
It's not perfect, but I'm happy that it exists.

holy moley, that was downright amazing. I've always wanted to hear a rendition of the Black Knight 2000 song done with real instruments.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its pretty cool but you really wish you had analog control over the flippers, but you don't, its a purely digital boolean on/off.

Like you said, its more pinpuck, and that's kinda frustrating.

That's how real flippers are, on or off. It's either an opto switch (light is interrupted) or a piece of copper making contact with another piece of copper.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

roffels posted:

That's how real flippers are, on or off. It's either an opto switch (light is interrupted) or a piece of copper making contact with another piece of copper.

Really? I'm pretty noobish when it comes to pinball, but isn't being able to control how hard you hit the ball like, a huge deal?

Even with copper connecting to copper, you can have analog. That's how remote control car throttles work, its just a copper brush against a copper contact, but based on the distance you can control the resistance and increase the flow. Or you could use time to hold it down longer, powering the motor longer, versus feathering it on and off. No?

I'm pretty sure in the virtual boy pinball that holding the paddle down does the same as tapping it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Uhhhhh.... no. Even as a little kid in the 70s I quickly figured out that it doesn't matter how hard or how fast you press the flipper buttons.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The pros can control flipper strength to a point by hitting the switch long enough to start the motion of the flipper and then cutting it off. It's extremely hard to do properly though. It also seems to work much better on old EM games than modern machines, but I'm not sure why that is. Different types of switches?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Uhhhhh.... no. Even as a little kid in the 70s I quickly figured out that it doesn't matter how hard or how fast you press the flipper buttons.

Welp. :downs:

Nurge posted:

The pros can control flipper strength to a point by hitting the switch long enough to start the motion of the flipper and then cutting it off. It's extremely hard to do properly though. It also seems to work much better on old EM games than modern machines, but I'm not sure why that is. Different types of switches?

So there's something there... but I'm no pro so I'm probably just way off.

I haven't played a ton of pinball, it never really appealed to me as a kid for some reason, I guess because I grew up with proper videogames and they always seemed 'cooler'. (NES/SNES)

There's a decent arcade in town now though and they've got lots of classic machines so I'm starting to get into it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nurge posted:

Do you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyKhPE921w

(The ability to do this is nigh-incomprehensible to me. :psyboom:)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's possible to tap pass with EMs and some older Bally SS, but I don't think you can do it with the 80s and onward machines. It's also really tricky to do. I felt like a real badass when I was finally able to pull off a tap pass on an classic Stern machine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

(The ability to do this is nigh-incomprehensible to me. :psyboom:)

Yeah, me too. I can't reliably pull off the pass where you bounce it off the bottom of the slingshot, in TPA or real life. Part of the problem is the price you pay for screwing up; it's pretty much an automatic drain.

EDIT: Its called a Post Pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ITbeGBdMA

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, me too. I can't reliably pull off the pass where you bounce it off the bottom of the slingshot, in TPA or real life. Part of the problem is the price you pay for screwing up; it's pretty much an automatic drain.

EDIT: Its called a Post Pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ITbeGBdMA

It depends greatly on the individual table. Even if you see it demonstrated on an Addams Family like in this video, you can't count on it working on every Addams Family - you'll still have to try it yourself to see if it works. This is the kind of thing you'll see tourney players do with their fuckaround time before their actual game starts, along with testing the sensitivity of the tilt bob.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iP8OMeNCyQ

This is probably my favorite flipper skill thing, although the one that's helped me the most is the dead bounce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDLSmRFYO0

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dead bounce has been the most useful/valuable for me, but that may be because my passing ability is erratic at best.

Anybody looking to get better at pinball, I highly recommend watching videos of people who are good. You'll see them do things as a matter of course that never occurred to you, and some of them can be incorporated into your skill set.

VVVV This right here is probably the best thing I've learned from watching the videos.

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 29, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Resisting the impulse to flip every time the ball gets near the flippers is definitely one of the most important skills to develop, and it's the first one I forget when I go too long without playing. Every time I get to visit PAPA I spend the first hour flailing before I remember how to play like I've been there before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm gonna go to the arcade after work and lose a few more quarters into some tables.

Are there any really great classic tables that you'd recommend to anybody? Its hard because you don't know what tables this arcade has, but they have a poo poo ton of good old stuff. I know they have attack from mars, addams family, pin bot, bride of pin bot, lord of the rings, terminator, multiple star trek tables, circus voltaire, metallica, guns n roses, tales of the arabian nights, etc. Any of those a must-play? Anything really cool I should keep my eye out for?

I've played some of them a little but I need to actually learn the tables' rules for once and play it properly. I've played tales of arabian nights in pinball arcade and it seems like a pretty cool table, and I actually understand how to play it now.

They also had a table that had a gimmick I hadn't seen before, but has probably been done a few times. The ball could travel all the way up the table, and then would get picked up and continue playing completely vertically on a second table where the scoreboard would usually go. The ball fell really fast because it was vertical, and then it would fall back down into the normal table.

The theme of the table was you were racing against like 4 people in a swamp or something, they each had a color name like 'Red something' 'Green something', etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm pretty good at dead bouncing and ramping the ball off a flipper to pass, but I don't think I've ever seen someone do a post pass and now my mind is sorta blown.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Zaphod42 posted:

They also had a table that had a gimmick I hadn't seen before, but has probably been done a few times. The ball could travel all the way up the table, and then would get picked up and continue playing completely vertically on a second table where the scoreboard would usually go. The ball fell really fast because it was vertical, and then it would fall back down into the normal table.

The theme of the table was you were racing against like 4 people in a swamp or something, they each had a color name like 'Red something' 'Green something', etc.
Banzai Run

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Depends a ton on the condition of the flippers and what kind of rubber they have on them. I can do it in TPA almost without fail, but it takes a couple drains to get to know a machine in real life before you get a feel for it. Superbands don't have enough bounce and I can't usually do it even with freshly rebuilt flippers. Black rubbers are perfect for it and unless the flippers are really tired I should be able to do it consistently even with lightning flippers. Red rubbers have too much bounce and I occasionally end up having to smack it up the playfield instead of catching it in a cradle, still worth trying most of the time. Games like BSD and the Elvira games will make you good at it since the ramps always feed back to the same flipper forcing you to eventually pass it over. Especially BSD, because you can't just smack it upfield and hope it lands on that flipper, no game punishes you for it more. Something like Taxi or Judge Dredd makes you lazy about it, because you can just use the ramps to pass the ball over the other flipper.

Not all games have the same amount of flipper control either. For example Data East solid state flippers give 50 volts for like 8 milliseconds then switch to 8 volts for the hold. Being on a timer gives a very different feel than something like a Williams who used a physical end of stroke switch even after switching to solid state flipper control. Virtual pinball obviously uses the same physics no matter what game they are making, but the one thing that drives me nuts is not being able to control the lower and upper flippers independently, that's a huge hindrance during multiball.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 29, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Depends a ton on the condition of the flippers and what kind of rubber they have on them. I can do it in TPA almost without fail, but it takes a couple drains to get to know a machine in real life before you get a feel for it. Superbands don't have enough bounce and I can't usually do it even with freshly rebuilt flippers. Black rubbers are perfect for it and unless the flippers are really tired I should be able to do it consistently even with lightning flippers. Red rubbers have too much bounce and I occasionally end up having to smack it up the playfield instead of catching it in a cradle, still worth trying most of the time. Games like BSD and the Elvira games will make you good at it since the ramps always feed back to the same flipper forcing you to eventually pass it over. Especially BSD, because you can't just smack it upfield and hope it lands on that flipper, no game punishes you for it more. Something like Taxi or Judge Dredd makes you lazy about it, because you can just use the ramps to pass the ball over the other flipper.

Not all games have the same amount of flipper control either. For example Data East solid state flippers give 50 volts for like 8 milliseconds then switch to 8 volts for the hold. Being on a timer gives a very different feel than something like a Williams who used a physical end of stroke switch even after switching to solid state flipper control. Virtual pinball obviously uses the same physics no matter what game they are making, but the one thing that drives me nuts is not being able to control the lower and upper flippers independently, that's a huge hindrance during multiball.

Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball actually support the multi-state flipper button, or whatever it's called, on platforms with analog buttons. I thought the PS3 version was glitched until I realized the upper flipper wasn't flipping because I wasn't pressing the button hard enough. Guess you're out of luck otherwise, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yep, that was it! Pretty cool table.

I've seen lots of virtual tables that had like a second table you could get teleported to or something, but I figured that was something you could only do with virtual tables and computers.

Do many physical tables have a second play field like that?

I guess you could do it with a screen embedded in the field like the star wars table, and then just play virtual pinball for a minute. But what about having a physical second table, are there many of those?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, that was it! Pretty cool table.

I've seen lots of virtual tables that had like a second table you could get teleported to or something, but I figured that was something you could only do with virtual tables and computers.

I guess you could do it with a screen embedded in the field like the star wars table, and then just play virtual pinball for a minute. But what about having a physical second table, are there many of those?

Black Hole?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Zaphod42 posted:

Banzai is the only game that has a backbox pinball table, but there's a bunch that have lower playfields (Black Hole, AC/DC, etc), and a bunch that have interactive backbox gimmicks (Cirque Voltaire, Terminator 3).

As neat as the upper backbox table is, it was supposedly a pain in the rear end to service, so that's probably why we never saw another one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Clouseau posted:

Banzai is the only game that has a backbox pinball table, but there's a bunch that have lower playfields (Black Hole, AC/DC, etc), and a bunch that have interactive backbox gimmicks (Cirque Voltaire, Terminator 3).

As neat as the upper backbox table is, it was supposedly a pain in the rear end to service, so that's probably why we never saw another one.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed. I like how it changes the ball physics completely, but it does seem like it would be a pain to maintain.

Just looked up the black hole table, that's also pretty nifty. It makes sense to put a second table below, but then how do you see it? With a giant window of glass, that's how :downs: If I ever catch that table somewhere I'll have to put a few quarters in.

Although that means you've got a huge section of your main playfield that's just empty, but there's usually a lot of space at the bottom before you get to the flippers/drain anyways, so I could see that playing pretty well.

They also mention black hole being unpopular with operators :cheeky:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Family Guy has a small working pinball machine inside of itself.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5219&picno=33600

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm gonna go to the arcade after work and lose a few more quarters into some tables.

Are there any really great classic tables that you'd recommend to anybody? Its hard because you don't know what tables this arcade has, but they have a poo poo ton of good old stuff. I know they have attack from mars, addams family, pin bot, bride of pin bot, lord of the rings, terminator, multiple star trek tables, circus voltaire, metallica, guns n roses, tales of the arabian nights, etc. Any of those a must-play? Anything really cool I should keep my eye out for?

You can't really go wrong with the top 20 tables from Pinside. https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

Anything in the top 10 of that is a "drop everything, I need to play that table right now" for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

canyoneer posted:

You can't really go wrong with the top 20 tables from Pinside. https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

Anything in the top 10 of that is a "drop everything, I need to play that table right now" for me.

Cool, thanks! From the look of things, the arcade I go to mostly used this list to determine what to buy :stare:

I've got a lot of tables I need to play.

They also sell some of their tables. I don't know the first thing about pinball operation, although I really like fiddling with electronics and I know my way around a multitool and a soldering iron. And used tables are way more affordable than I figured... but I also wouldn't know anything about how to tell if they're in good condition or about to fall apart.

I think the only thing really stopping me from buying a table at some point in the future is the thought of having to move the drat thing. I already have so much poo poo that I don't want to ever move again, ugh... I guess its a good thing there's a decent arcade so close by.

Plus I guess if you own a table you end up playing that one to death, and you want to play others. And then you get the desire to build a home arcade, and that's gonna quickly turn into :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Two other skills that you must know if you want to play a controlled game:

Live catch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlZS-0SAaw

Drop catch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMeWlVv63Yw