Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I love the debate on whether Teleglitch's graphical presentation is brilliant or total poo poo. I don't care for it personally, but I really admire how they doubled down on that style and committed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm fine with rough, pixelly graphics as a style decision, but I kinda think it doesn't even look good compared to other games in the same style. They could've put more effort into the UI, at least.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Necrodancer Update!

Pretty nice update. I've run into the shopkeeper's ghost a few times, it seems pretty non-threatening. It goes through walls and homes in on you, but it dies in one hit and you can hear it from a while away. Huge buff for those daggers too, I might actually consider picking them up now.

One thing I'm growing to appreciate about necrodancer is how you only need one hand to play. Makes it easy to drink coffee/beer while playing, depending on the hour.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm fine with rough, pixelly graphics as a style decision, but I kinda think it doesn't even look good compared to other games in the same style. They could've put more effort into the UI, at least.

The UI is actually the only part of it I like.

The in-game UI, I mean. The menus that you can't operate with the keyboard and have no graphical distinction between usable or not are a bit poo poo. But not as poo poo as the graphics.

The biggest problem I have is that it's impossible to tell what an item is without mousing over it and enemies are hard-to-differentiate blobs of pixels that bear zero resemblance to their portraits on the monster info screen. That and the fact that it combines the graphical resolution of an NES with the artistic variation of Quake II. And that the aiming line isn't actually accurate.

Ok, I have a bunch of problems with it.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Necrodancer Update!

Why lock the level editor away behind requiring you to beat the game?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
General Teleglitch Earlygame Tip: Don't try to knife enemies - they have inertia in their movements and use it against them by standing next to the void and sidestepping them before they reach you. They die, you conserve ammo, it works really well!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

Why lock the level editor away behind requiring you to beat the game?

If this is a big deal to you, just burn through the game as bard (who has no rhythm mechanic)

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

If this is a big deal to you, just burn through the game as bard (who has no rhythm mechanic)

Doesn't really bother me, just seems a little arbitrary to lock away a feature like that. The only reason I can think of is to stop you from spoiling yourself on late-game content by encountering it in the level editor first.

I hadn't picked up the game as I suck at rhythm games. I might give it a try if I pick it up in a sale.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

General Teleglitch Earlygame Tip: Don't try to knife enemies - they have inertia in their movements and use it against them by standing next to the void and sidestepping them before they reach you. They die, you conserve ammo, it works really well!

But also negates the occasional very helpful drop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just started playing but knifing seems pretty easy to me, you just have to angle it a bit towards the side the knife comes out, instead of just facing your enemies straight on.

Just on my second run of the game and I just discovered a secret room that leads to a much larger room where five giant robot dudes armed with Gatling guns rushed in. They immediately killed me, and I was doing so well before. Guess I know now that not even the secret rooms are safe.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I got around to doing a Dungeon of the Endless thread here. Have at it, fellow roguelike lovers. :getin:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

chiefnewo posted:

I hadn't picked up the game as I suck at rhythm games. I might give it a try if I pick it up in a sale.

I'm really bad at rhythm games. I've been stuck for days on mandatory rhythm minigames in other titles (Birth By Sleep comes to mind). I love Crypt of the Necrodancer and it didn't take me long to get the feel. It doesn't require perfect timing, rather it's more about keeping roughly to a beat so you don't have time to sit and think through situations nor twitch reflexes.

It's also a third off right now if that's enough of a sale for you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
99 Levels to Hell is cheap on Steam today. Is it any good?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
so i just got dungeon of the endless. really fuckin cool game but how do i play it, i keep dying

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

rediscover posted:

so i just got dungeon of the endless. really fuckin cool game but how do i play it, i keep dying

How do I play it, I keep dying: The Roguelikes thread

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

rediscover posted:

Swing on by over here and get the help you need. :)

A LOVELY LAD posted:

How do I play it, I keep dying: The Roguelikes thread

I figured this thread was for asking not asking how i died, but how i should die. :getin:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
with honor, obv

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

with honor, obv
drat, beat me to it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Thyrork posted:

I figured this thread was for asking not asking how i died, but how i should die. :getin:

By handling a cockatrice corpse without gloves.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Polymorph yourself into a female cockatrice, lay an egg, then eat it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Forget to put your cockatrice corpse in a container before dancing with a foocubus.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Thyrork posted:

The correct answer is "Like a champion".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Repeatedly."

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

madjackmcmad posted:

The correct answer is "Like a champion".

"Of old age" :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

By snu-snu.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite part of Teleglitch is when you open a door and there is a monster behind it that rushes towards you in a circle strafe instead of going straightforward and you can simply just step forward and the door closes behind you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bionic Dues is on sale for $2, and well worth it, in my opinion. The project is officially completed, to the point where the lead developer pretty much announced it, but the other main dev still adds features here and there, so IMO it's far from being a dead project.

https://indiegamestand.com/sale/

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

mr.capps posted:

My favorite part of Teleglitch is when you open a door and there is a monster behind it that rushes towards you in a circle strafe instead of going straightforward and you can simply just step forward and the door closes behind you.

Does it lock behind you? Please tell me it does.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

Does it lock behind you? Please tell me it does.

No, monsters can open doors, the manouver looks stylish but is actively harmful because it breaks your line of fire.

You know what I love in Teleglitch? When you open a secret area and, instead of containing items, it contains three bosses that you haven't even fought normally yet armed with miniguns.

I think I'm done with Teleglitch.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Thats the secret level 3 boss. I think you get a chance to turn back before entering the boss room and it always looks the same so you can recognize it and back out before you get trapped. Or load up your panzerfausts and heavy rifle and have an awesome time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Glimpse posted:

Thats the secret level 3 boss. I think you get a chance to turn back before entering the boss room and it always looks the same so you can recognize it and back out before you get trapped. Or load up your panzerfausts and heavy rifle and have an awesome time.

Yeah, I mentioned running into it above and easily spotted and avoided it the next time I played. And even if you somehow accidentally ended up fighting them again you can always run away.

I was just foolish thinking I could take them on then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If anyone doesn't have it, Humble Bundle is giving away Teleglitch for free right now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ That's why the thread has been discussing Teleglitch non stop for several pages.

mr.capps posted:

Yeah, I mentioned running into it above and easily spotted and avoided it the next time I played. And even if you somehow accidentally ended up fighting them again you can always run away.

...no you can't, the doors lock. Believe me, I tried to run away, since I only had one Panzerfaust AP and no ability to make more.

Apart from that, I just feel like I've hit a wall. I'm consistently dying on level 3 or 4 without feeling like I'm getting any better at it, making it any further, or unlocking any new lore/recipes/etc. And the game is full of enough niggling annoyances like the aiming line being wrong, or the graphics, or the lack of mid-level saves, that I'm not as willing to keep playing in the face of that as I might otherwise be.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If it locks it only locks after they showed up, because I took a few steps in on my most recent run to just double check if it was the same room.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

doctorfrog posted:

Bionic Dues is on sale for $2, and well worth it, in my opinion. The project is officially completed, to the point where the lead developer pretty much announced it, but the other main dev still adds features here and there, so IMO it's far from being a dead project.

https://indiegamestand.com/sale/

Counterpoint: god-awful music :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

spider wisdom posted:

You leave the music on in your games? :raise:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

spider wisdom posted:

it's also full of really grating, tone-deaf humor, and honestly it's kind of a lovely game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

"Full of?" Like, the bot death messages I guess. That's all I can recall, though. And I think the actual gameplay is pretty fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sproggiwood is hard :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

victrix posted:

Sproggiwood is hard :saddowns:

Besides selecting easy difficulty, here are some useful tips:

1) Invest as many coins into the HP increase, XP gain, and shop price decrease things first.

2) The best weapons to have are generally the X of Dancing Flames or the X of the Wisp King (since dancing flames shoots a ridiculous huge pillar of flame and the wisp king ones get you 2 HP back for every enemy you or an ally kills) If you can't afford these yet, Vampiric X (1 HP per kill) or Fire Whip X are generally good and cheap

3) This tip is broken down for each class:
Farmer: Go for pumpkin bomb as your first ability, then the pitchfork, and upgrade both until you can get cornucopia. After that, you'lll want to get the 4-way pitchfork throwing upgrade as your priority.
Warrior: Always get cleave first, nothing beats being able to hit all 8 surrounding squares at once. You'll also want to next get charge - it's very useful to get the drop on some enemies, and of course get dervish as soon as it's open.
Archer: Shoot Arrow is of course your first priority. Then you'll want to upgrade piercing shot all the way if possible, but don't forget to also do at least one instance of roll - it can be really helpful in certain situations, especially when you're boxed in by enemies.
Thief: You'll want to do Juke as your first level up thing, and then upgrading fire traps most likely. Don't forget to get backstab.
Vampire: Honestly I prefer to just have identity crisis as my auto equipped potion so I can swap in some better actions for it. But if you don't want to do that, it's usually best to get enthrall first, then drain life, then upgrade enthrall as much as possible while still getting Feeed right away when it unlocks. It's also particularly important to get your vampire good weapon and armor as soon as possible because he's stuck with mostly melee.
Wizard: Do magic missile first, then summon yeti, then teleport, then fireball. Choosing which of the first three to upgrade more is really up to you, but I'd prioritize yeti and magic missile over teleport

4) For armor you're going to find Armor of the Master Potter the most useful most likely, since you get free 3 or 4 hp healed for every pot you break with it. If you haven't found it or can't afford it yet, the armor of the Potter does the same but less hp which is still useful, and the Fireflare (pretty high chance to blast pillars of flame out in all directions when hit) and Stormguard armor (same deal as Fireflare, except with lightning attacks) are useful to have. The armors that teleport on hit can generally make melee fights hard to deal with, and the ones that just give a bunch of extra hp usually aren't worth it.

5) Always try to kill/close spawning entities first (spider nests or portal doors) in rooms with them, then focus on the creatures that came out later.

6) Always try to get a large slime, especially the dark blue/black ones that can respawn from puddles, into a hallway before you kill them. This usually means they'll only plop out 1 small slime on death which will be easier to deal with. Except for the acid slimes and the slimes whose death leaves an electrical slime area - you'll want to try to kill those in corners or centers of rooms so you can avoid needing to step through them, taking damage, to get to another room. (However if you're a wizard with teleport, an archer with roll, or a warrior with charge who can see an enemy on the other side of a pool of hurting slime, you're able to get past them without issue)

7) I find that if you can get the Key to the God's Hearts or whatever it's called, it's the best item to have equipped if you've also done the upgrade in town to ensure more prayer altars in dungeons. Being able to use each altar twice is usually much more helpful than harmful.