Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

ME3 is embarrassingly easy.

but fun as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zoran posted:

Yeah, I think the hardest fight in the entire series is the battle against those two assassins you meet outside Chora's Den on your first visit there, when you're only level ~6 and have no good gear or abilities.

Yeah, the thing with ME1 was the silly difficulty curve, with the first string of fights being the hardest merely due to not being able to do anything with abilities, and then things start easing up after you leave the Citadel and never stops, until the game becomes an absolute cakewalk toward the end. ME3 was fairly easy from beginning to end. In contrast, ME2 had parts that I thought were difficult on my first time, and still remained a fun challenge on Insanity after I got better at the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

but fun as gently caress.

Not really, no.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Yeah, the thing with ME1 was the silly difficulty curve, with the first string of fights being the hardest merely due to not being able to do anything with abilities, and then things start easing up after you leave the Citadel and never stops, until the game becomes an absolute cakewalk toward the end. ME3 was fairly easy from beginning to end. In contrast, ME2 had parts that I thought were difficult on my first time, and still remained a fun challenge on Insanity after I got better at the game.

Horizon still manages to sometimes gently caress my poo poo up (unless I cheese it with the Arc Projector, of course).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

I found ME3 to be somewhat tougher at the start, but that was just because I was still trying the old ME2 strategy of bunkering down behind cover, popping up to take pot shots, then ducking back down after nearly dying. Once I adjusted to actually having to pay attention to what enemies are on the field, it got a lot easier. Especially thanks to heavy melee and the fact that my powers actually worked on enemies instead of just slightly staggering them if they had the slightest bit of protection.

sassassin posted:

Not really, no.

ME3 had far and away the best designed combat of the series, but I do agree that the single player was a little too easy. ME2 is pretty dull in comparison and the less said about ME1's combat, the better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Everything in ME3 was the best of the franchise except the story, which was many orders of magnitude worse than the others.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Not really, no.

:qq:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Geostomp posted:

ME3 had far and away the best designed combat of the series, but I do agree that the single player was a little too easy. ME2 is pretty dull in comparison and the less said about ME1's combat, the better.

What difficulty did you play them all on?

ME2, to me, has the odd property of the combat being bleh as hell on low difficulty but when you crank it up to Insanity, that poo poo gets fun because ammo management matters, proper weapon choice matters, power use matters. None of that is true on lower difficulties, really.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hard or insanity are the best way to play the games, even if it gets a tad too challenging for you at times.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME2's main problem on high difficulties is the sheer amount of time you spend waiting for meters to recharge. ME3's weight mechanic that allowed power-based classes to underequip weapons for a cooldown bonus was really good, while also being extremely simple.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

Everything in ME3 was the best of the franchise except the story, which was many orders of magnitude worse than the others.
ME3's story wasn't even that bad until it turned into a giant pile of poo poo at the end. The worst you could say about it was they didn't have much cogent explanation for why you were doing things and too many maguffins (the Crucible! the Catalyst!) and how you conveniently ran into all your old buddies...

Ok the story was terrible, but I had fun playing it at the time and in the moment didn't much care it was stupid.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alain Post posted:

ME2's main problem on high difficulties is the sheer amount of time you spend waiting for meters to recharge. ME3's weight mechanic that allowed power-based classes to underequip weapons for a cooldown bonus was really good, while also being extremely simple.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Especially if you take tech armor and let it break instead of managing it. Waiting for that recharge is foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The Mattock was an excellent thing to use while waiting for power cooldowns though, so it worked out. Or pre-Firepower, I GUESS the Vindicator was okay.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you get Citadel and you pick up the Lancer, it's basically game-breaking when you upgrade it. Unlimited ammo if you're not a COMPLETE retard? OK!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Alain Post posted:

agree

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MA-Horus posted:

If you get Citadel and you pick up the Lancer, it's basically game-breaking when you upgrade it. Unlimited ammo if you're not a COMPLETE retard? OK!

I was SO PUMPED to get a no heat-clip weapon again.

SO AWESOME.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MA-Horus posted:

that gun became my #1 immediately after I got it, gently caress using clips, I want to keep throwing projectiles for as long as I want, and it's drat accurate as well

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just started ME2 again as a Vanguard and I can confirm it's 1) Harder than ME3 but only because 2) In ME3 the Vanguards kicked waaaay more rear end than in 2. Biotic Charge doesn't even cause damage and I can't blow up my shields after rushing. It's hard to come back to this after playing a ME3 Vanguard. Also gently caress that global cool down system, I didn't realize how annoying it was until I had to go through it again after playing ME3.

So basically don't play ME2 after ME3.

E: Also ME3 wasn't that easy on Hard+ if you were playing rather aggressively, and that last big fight, just before beaming into the Crucible, where you have to fight waves of enemies before firing some missile is still a high point of my gaming career.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alain Post posted:

Once you've got a few levels the base cooldown length is so low as an adept the difference between normal cooldowns and a +100% penalty is practically nonexistent. The value of a heavier weapon far outweighed the extra 0.4s you'd get to work with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geostomp posted:

ME3 had far and away the best designed combat of the series

In terms of weapon selection and the ability to roll, and select enemy types (all cerberus) I would agree.

In terms of actual encounter design (airdropping waves of targets while you sit in place, yawn), the 'all powers work all the time' factor without different layers of protection, and the just general crushing easiness that high level rpg-style combat brings (even without an import), I disagree.

Even the multiplayer is just a 'bunker down and spam explosions' boring mess at higher difficulties.

Furism posted:

is still a high point of my gaming career.

Post the spreadsheet you keep of your top 20.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

sassassin posted:

Post the spreadsheet you keep of your top 20.

I just think that they made a good job of putting pressure on the player on that final fight, what with all the Brutes and Banshees. :colbert:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

sassassin posted:

In terms of actual encounter design (airdropping waves of targets while you sit in place, yawn), the 'all powers work all the time' factor without different layers of protection, and the just general crushing easiness that high level rpg-style combat brings (even without an import), I disagree.

Even the multiplayer is just a 'bunker down and spam explosions' boring mess at higher difficulties.

ME2 also had similar poo poo encounter design what with the enemy closets of mercs and fly-ins of collector troops. Having powers basically whiff thanks to coloured health bars is about as fun as fighting immunity spamming enemies in ME1. ME2's only actual difficulty is beating back the waves of enemies before you get flushed out of cover because Shepard isn't nearly agile or durable enough to get away or move around in any meaningful capacity.

Actually, multiplayer is great because you get a whole bunch of fun and varied characters including ones that are great at hitting things with their fists/feet/claws/heads/bayonets/hammers/swords. Of course if you're going to 'bunker down' and play it like ME2 I can see why you're not going to have fun shooting space mans since ME2 made it inherently unfun.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Also ME3 had me sniping dudes with shields through the view holes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BigPaddy posted:

Also ME3 had me sniping dudes with shields through the view holes.
"Mailslot, rear end in a top hat!" I still yell that in both SP/MP when I headpop a guardian from across the map.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

El Mido posted:

ME2's only actual difficulty is beating back the waves of enemies before you get flushed out of cover because Shepard isn't nearly agile or durable enough to get away or move around in any meaningful capacity.

That's not true if you're actually playing most classes effectively. Did you never play as Vanguard or Sentinel? You never stay in cover with those classes for more than a couple seconds, and Infiltrator stays pretty mobile with Cloak. Adept and Engineer need to stay in cover, but you're using powers for crowd control so mobility isn't as important, and you should be controlling the fight enough that you aren't taking tons of damage.

If you hunker down behind cover and plink away its pretty much your dumb choice to play that way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sentinel is fun, but also pretty trivial, just for different reasons than the other classes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

El Mido posted:

ME2 also had similar poo poo encounter design what with the enemy closets of mercs and fly-ins of collector troops. Having powers basically whiff thanks to coloured health bars is about as fun as fighting immunity spamming enemies in ME1. ME2's only actual difficulty is beating back the waves of enemies before you get flushed out of cover because Shepard isn't nearly agile or durable enough to get away or move around in any meaningful capacity.

ME1 had the best encounters and it all went downhill from there. LotSB is the point where Bioware stopped pretending to try.

Shepard's lack of mobility and needing to choose what powers are appropriate for a situation is the challenge of the gameplay. Unstoppable, mobile, everything works Shepard doesn't make the game better, it just makes it far easier.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

You shut your mouth, shadow broker was awesome.

"remember when you could slap omni-gel on everything?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

El Mido posted:

Actually, multiplayer is great because you get a whole bunch of fun and varied characters including ones that are great at hitting things with their fists/feet/claws/heads/bayonets/hammers/swords. Of course if you're going to 'bunker down' and play it like ME2 I can see why you're not going to have fun shooting space mans since ME2 made it inherently unfun.

Is there an actual defence of the mode in here or is it just more 'you're doing it wrong, stop complaining and have fun!'

When I played it the only accepted effective method for clearing stages above silver difficulty was to bed down in a certain room and embrace the shooting gallery. Did it introduce more varied/important objectives at any point?

I don't find different close combat animations much of a game changer tbh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME1 was bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MA-Horus posted:

You shut your mouth, shadow broker was awesome.

"remember when you could slap omni-gel on everything?"

lol I get that reference.

Every enemy in that mission was blatantly either airdropped or just filed in from a door at the far end of the room once you had entered. It was tedious as hell.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yes but we had Liara awkardly trying to explain what Azure meant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alain Post posted:

ME1 was bad.

ME1 was what?

Also please don't sign your posts here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MA-Horus posted:

Yes but we had Liara awkardly trying to explain what Azure meant.

It was the worst part of ME2 (firewalker doesn't count) but ME2 was a good game so I'm not kicking your baby too hard don't worry.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

ME1 had the best encounters and it all went downhill from there. LotSB is the point where Bioware stopped pretending to try.

Shepard's lack of mobility and needing to choose what powers are appropriate for a situation is the challenge of the gameplay. Unstoppable, mobile, everything works Shepard doesn't make the game better, it just makes it far easier.

On the other hand: Button - awesome!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

As stupid as it was, ME1 certainly conveyed the Krogan were hard as gently caress to kill.

I'VE BEEN SHOOTING AT YOU NON-STOP FOR A MINUTE AND A HALF WHILE YOU SQUIRM ON THE GROUND AND YOU'RE STILL ALIVE HOLY poo poo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Alain Post posted:

ME1 was bad.

ME1 was awesome, especially playing as an adept. It also had the best atmosphere and soundtrack of the series, I hope the next ME game is similar in that regard.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doctor Reynolds posted:

As stupid as it was, ME1 certainly conveyed the Krogan were hard as gently caress to kill.

I'VE BEEN SHOOTING AT YOU NON-STOP FOR A MINUTE AND A HALF WHILE YOU SQUIRM ON THE GROUND AND YOU'RE STILL ALIVE HOLY poo poo

that's the truth. Quick, a krogan! Use a power to prevent him from popping Immunit----gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Is there an actual defence of the mode in here or is it just more 'you're doing it wrong, stop complaining and have fun!'

When I played it the only accepted effective method for clearing stages above silver difficulty was to bed down in a certain room and embrace the shooting gallery. Did it introduce more varied/important objectives at any point?

Only credit-farming pubbies did that (sounds like you're referring to White/Geth/Gold farming). A team of good players who communicate and know what they gently caress they're doing made the multiplayer way more fun and Platinum especially forced you to think outside of "bunker down" since that's a good way to get wiped on most maps.

hectik
Dec 20, 2009
The infiltrator time slowdown effect in ME2 ruined the sniping for me. It was neat at first, but it made it easy to the point of being boring. And this is coming from a guy that loves sniping.

Mustang posted:

ME1 was awesome, especially playing as an adept.

During my second play through, I thought, "I wonder how effective non singularity adept powers are when you actually bother to put a decent amount of points into them?", and started filling up Liara's lift ability. When it was nearly maxed, I had her use it on a charging Krogan on some low gravity planet (Virmire, maybe). My jaw dropped as he went sailing past us far into the distance. Stationary targets reached ridiculous heights. Went adept next play through.

Also, running an all explosive round shotgun squad owned pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

With enough Lift you can Lift a Geth armature. Or whatever those big things you were supposed to fight in the Mako were. It was the best part of ME1, and one of the only things I had fun with.

ME3Multiplayer on the other hand is the best part of the franchise.

• Locked thread