Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Torquemadras posted:

With all the more or less obvious retconning going on in JoJo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a villain with actual retconning powers at some point.

Made in Heaven? It literally rewrites the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

So what is the next crucial plot element that will be forgotten in part 8.

Josuke having sex with the blind girl.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Torquemadras posted:

With all the more or less obvious retconning going on in JoJo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a villain with actual retconning powers at some point. I have absolutely no idea how that would work, but the concept itself is JoJo as poo poo.

There was a retcon power in Bleach. It was hilariously dumb and broken.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Made in Heaven? It literally rewrites the universe.

Nah... Made in Heaven explicitly repeats the same things, so that everybody instinctively remembers the last cycle. The true rewriting only happens when Pucci is killed, and that's not really retconning.

Maybe really a King Crimson-like Stand that keeps the result, but changes the reason? As in, it focusses on a certain kind of result - like a broken window or something -, and when the user wants to, the chain of events that caused it suddenly and violently changes: instead of a rock, now someone's hand broke the window, and the guy suddenly realizes his hand is cut up. Instead of King Crimson's visions of the immediate future, it would be a constant view on every possible past, and picking the one that suits the user most.

...well, gently caress. Now I'm making up Stands too because there aren't any chapters left for me to read. So this is what that's like.

I did not want to know

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Basically every final fight in JoJo's since Stardust Crusaders has had dudes who gently caress with time in one way or another. I think the only reason the alternate version of The World showed up in Steel Ball Run was to keep the tradition alive.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think it's kinda funny that Gyro's so badass he threw away his Stand and still was able to steal the show from Johnny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually forgot that Gyro had a Stand until I looked at the wiki page recently.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

amuayse posted:

I think it's kinda funny that Gyro's so badass he threw away his Stand and still was able to steal the show from Johnny.

Johnny did upstage John Wilkes Booth by a mile, though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Basically every final fight in JoJo's since Stardust Crusaders has had dudes who gently caress with time in one way or another. I think the only reason the alternate version of The World showed up in Steel Ball Run was to keep the tradition alive.

Nah, Steel Ball Run had the dude that turned back time as well.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RatHat posted:

Nah, Steel Ball Run had the dude that turned back time as well.

Yeah, but that was like midway through.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You're forgetting d4c

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know this is treading on old territory here but I really, really hope SC part 2 uses Voodoo Kindgom for something. Like an insert song or a special ED.

Gotta have a taste of tha remedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uua_GIQsbqg

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Voodoo Kingdom was used in the awful Phantom Blood movie, I think. Hell, I'm pretty sure it might have been Dio's theme.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm still hoping for Sono Chi no Sadame in the final fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Voodoo Kingdom was used in the awful Phantom Blood movie, I think. Hell, I'm pretty sure it might have been Dio's theme.

Yep. Which is why I hope they bring it back because it deserves to be rescued from the heap of shame. The single was released after the movie, so judging based on that and the lyrics I'm pretty sure it was written for the sole purpose of being Dio's theme.

Waffleman_ posted:

But yeah this is probably what's going to happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I also hope Stone Ocean somehow gets What A Wonderful World for the last episode.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

You're forgetting d4c

D4C goes between dimensions, it doesn't affect time. Not that a ton of main villains didn't use quantum mechanics bullshit, too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

While Sono Chi no Sadame would be a rad song to use, I honestly think Stand Proud would make that final fight all the more metal... or maybe they should go all out and use the only instrumental that HE, DIO can get behind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You could tell Funny Valentine was lying because no matter what dimension you might try to escape to, the universe always has three constants: Time, Gravity, and dead Zeppelis.

:smith:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was thinking about Part 5, and why the final battle is kinda dumb. A lot of people bring up that the battle was the race to the arrow, which is true, but that's why it's underwhelming, in my opinion. Most Jojo fights involve the protagonist of the fight finding a loophole in an opponent's seemingly invincible Stand and exploiting it in a genius way. In Part 5, no one really finds a way to get through King Crimson's power, they just learn how to determine when its power occurs through seeing blood instantly drip. What ends up defeating Diavolo is Giorno reaching the mcguffin and negating King Crimson's power. To be fair, I have no earthly idea what loophole you can find in King Crimson, but giving Gold Experience the power to just negate King Crimson is still a bit unsatisfying.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

D4C goes between dimensions, it doesn't affect time. Not that a ton of main villains didn't use quantum mechanics bullshit, too.

It takes him to alternate timelines. I mean, it's a stretch, but you can still say it plays into the theme of time manipulation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Butt Ghost posted:

I was thinking about Part 5, and why the final battle is kinda dumb. A lot of people bring up that the battle was the race to the arrow, which is true, but that's why it's underwhelming, in my opinion. Most Jojo fights involve the protagonist of the fight finding a loophole in an opponent's seemingly invincible Stand and exploiting it in a genius way. In Part 5, no one really finds a way to get through King Crimson's power, they just learn how to determine when its power occurs through seeing blood instantly drip. What ends up defeating Diavolo is Giorno reaching the mcguffin and negating King Crimson's power. To be fair, I have no earthly idea what loophole you can find in King Crimson, but giving Gold Experience the power to just negate King Crimson is still a bit unsatisfying.

Giorno isn't really a JoJo, and Dio was excellent at total asspulls.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Are there any stands in the series other than GER that could straight up beat King Crimson? There are several stands that could win a fight instantly if they could somehow get past Epitaph and just get in a hit (Heaven's Door, Cheap Trick, Killer Queen, Planet Waves), a few with strong enough defensive capabilities to survive King Crimson's attacks (Green Green Grass of Home, 20th Century Boy, Chocolate Disco), and several gambler stands that could possibly weaken Diavolo enough for someone else to finish him. Maybe a hugely destructive stand like Green Day or Purple Haze could hit King Crimson in such a wide area that he couldn't evade the attack even when he could see it coming with Epitaph and tried to erase it. And then there's the eternal question of whether or not King Crimson could see into The World/SP's frozen time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Star Platinum

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it goes between alternate timelines

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Soulcleaver posted:

Are there any stands in the series other than GER that could straight up beat King Crimson? There are several stands that could win a fight instantly if they could somehow get past Epitaph and just get in a hit (Heaven's Door, Cheap Trick, Killer Queen, Planet Waves), a few with strong enough defensive capabilities to survive King Crimson's attacks (Green Green Grass of Home, 20th Century Boy, Chocolate Disco), and several gambler stands that could possibly weaken Diavolo enough for someone else to finish him. Maybe a hugely destructive stand like Green Day or Purple Haze could hit King Crimson in such a wide area that he couldn't evade the attack even when he could see it coming with Epitaph and tried to erase it. And then there's the eternal question of whether or not King Crimson could see into The World/SP's frozen time.

A stand that had a large enough area of attack, such that even with forewarning and 10 seconds of time skip it would land, could easily beat KC. Weather Report, Purple Haze, and The World (assuming Diavolo/KC is frozen.

The real gently caress matchup I'd want to see is King Crimson vs D4C Love Train. Both are such utterly bullshit defense stands, Joseph-level trickery would be the only way to victory.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

amuayse posted:

Well, he gets another one right before he dies, called Ball Breaker. I think that makes him the only person outside of part 6 (for obvious reasons) to have 2 completely different Stands.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulcleaver posted:

And then there's the eternal question of whether or not King Crimson could see into The World/SP's frozen time.

Only Jotaro can enter DIO's World.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

Well, he gets another one right before he dies, called Ball Breaker. I think that makes him the only person outside of part 6 (for obvious reasons) to have 2 completely different Stands.

Dio had two completely different Stands at once (Hermit Purple and The World), as did Rohan, briefly (Heaven's Door and Cheap Trick).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silver2195 posted:

Dio had two completely different Stands at once (Hermit Purple and The World), as did Rohan, briefly (Heaven's Door and Cheap Trick).

DIO had two stands because he had two bodies at once basically, and Cheap Trick is kind of like a Stand virus, I dunno if it counts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DIO had two stands because he had two bodies at once basically, and Cheap Trick is kind of like a Stand virus, I dunno if it counts.

Or just one stand that let him imitate the stand of any Joestar. My baseless theory is cooler than yours.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm reading through Part 7, Wekapipo also uses Steel Balls. Just dropping by to let you know that this will Be The poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or just one stand that let him imitate the stand of any Joestar. My baseless theory is cooler than yours.

Sure. Point is, DIO is cool as gently caress.

VV It was actually JoJo A-Go!Go!

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 2, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not baseless. The Jojo A-Go!Go! databook says it's the stand of Jonathan, and the Over Heaven novel says that it's also called Hermit Purple.

EDIT: The Jorge Joestar novel also called it The Passion, and said its power was to see the past and future of the user's blood relatives. The novel isn't canon though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 2, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Only Jotaro can enter DIO's World.

Pucci could see and act while time was stopped, sort of, maybe? He definitely had some weird thing going on that let him dodge the harpoon Jotaro threw at him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Pucci could see and act while time was stopped, sort of, maybe? He definitely had some weird thing going on that let him dodge the harpoon Jotaro threw at him.

Made in Heaven was supposed to be what DIO planned to turn The World into, right? And it was made partially by being fused with DIO's bone. Maybe it had some of the passive benefits of The World, like moving through stopped time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Butt Ghost posted:

In Part 5, no one really finds a way to get through King Crimson's power, they just learn how to determine when its power occurs through seeing blood instantly drip. What ends up defeating Diavolo is Giorno reaching the mcguffin and negating King Crimson's power.

what about the part where trish + mista manage to hold off diavolo for a bit?

I don't really see what's so lame about giorno getting anti king crimson power that isn't equally as lame as johnny getting infinite dimension killlaser power, or jotaro learning how to freeze time almost as good as dio in a fraction of the time, or koichi getting literally the only power that can stop sheer heart attack and having his stand evolve into something completely different from the last one, or joseph having infinite bullshit power in order to have the chain reaction of events that leads to him beating cars. At least with GER it's at the very end of the fight instead of at the start of halfway through that they get the "if I hit you with this I win" powerup

every major villain has either lost to some major nonsense, or they murdered all the protagonists

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sleepy Owl posted:

I think the thing was Pucci was Jotaro's time stop did not last long enough. The only reason Pucci did not slaughter them all was because Jotaro's time stop could screw him as he would not be able to move. Jotaro's problem was that his time stop does not last very long and it takes a few seconds before he can do it again if he stopped time at a moment that Pucci was too far away for him to beat down. Pucci beat them by forcing Jotaro to choose between saving Jolyne and killing him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

what about the part where trish + mista manage to hold off diavolo for a bit?

I don't really see what's so lame about giorno getting anti king crimson power that isn't equally as lame as johnny getting infinite dimension killlaser power, or jotaro learning how to freeze time almost as good as dio in a fraction of the time, or koichi getting literally the only power that can stop sheer heart attack and having his stand evolve into something completely different from the last one, or joseph having infinite bullshit power in order to have the chain reaction of events that leads to him beating cars. At least with GER it's at the very end of the fight instead of at the start of halfway through that they get the "if I hit you with this I win" powerup

every major villain has either lost to some major nonsense, or they murdered all the protagonists

Hey, Koichi and Johnny got bullshit new powers as culmination of their character arcs which made it more dramatically appropriate and awesome when they deus ex machina'd a victory. So for those two at least the situation was entirely different to the climax of part 5. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Beating Diavolo was going to be easy except Polnareff can't stop loving up

• Locked thread