Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is really just their tongue-in-cheek way of calling them "easy" and "hard" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nah we're all just fuckin terrible.

I can't get past floor 10 on Very Easy, I keep wiping but I think my party composition may be part of the cause and going melee heavy.

I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it to be honest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I really cannot overstate how great 1x Neuro Stunner and filling the rest of the room with KIP cannons is.

Just watch out for the jerks that explode on death, that's how I lose most of my heroes.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- The KIP cannon does disgusting amounts of damage if you can keep a modest amount of science stockpiled.

Actually, I've consistently found level 4 Tesla modules to be superior even to fully scienced KIP cannons. The Tesla's dps overtakes the KIP's when it's damaging just two enemies, let alone the dozens that the player can often deal with per wave.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
So when you reach the end of a storyline where one of the characters involved is then killed by the other, do we know if it's random or if one of the heroes is always guaranteed to die no matter what?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Really you want to build at least one industry generator and food generator per floor. Science isn't nearly as important unless you're going for KIP cannons, otherwise you can probably make do with upgraded smoking guns or tesla turrets.

Play as greedy as you can early, as dust is at a premium later on; it's best to have 1-2 wit heroes just to operate modules, as in general it's not worth building more than 3-4 modules per floor unless you're missing wit heroes or you're rolling in industry.

In the same vein, I don't think it's really worth upgrading the generators too much; unless you're lucky and get a bunch of science early, you need that science to actually get good turrets; generators are expensive to research and obviously percentage wise don't get as efficient the more you upgrade them (e.g. 3 -> 4 is a 33% increase, 5 -> 6 is a 20% increase) Since I'm pretty sure wit is a flat bonus, upgrading generators is a more terrible idea)

Upgrading heroes after a certain point isn't really worth it unless you're using the armory pod and need heroes to be max strength; even then it's dubious and I'd probably just go to 10. For non-armory runs I usually stop around 7-8 and save the rest for either score-boosting or for emergency heals during runs to the exit.

Generally you want at least one tanky hero and one fast hero at the least; tanky hero to hold checkpoints, and a fast hero to run the crystal. A repair hero is also nice.

Don't choose the bounty hunter (Sara) as one of your first heroes, she is awful until you level her up a bunch and get some gear (low health, low damage, the run fast special isn't really useful since the crystal holder can't use abilities).

On combat heroes that need to defend, you definitely want to grab the first aid kit device if you can, since it gives +10 health regen in powered rooms.

Try to kill the fatmen bosses as early as you can, since they get stronger as time goes by; they also buff monsters on the floor when at max strength, so you can leave them alone but I always get annoyed at slow repairs and heals so I usually just murder them all anyways. Sometimes they can spawn two in a room though, so watch out (most commonly when a rhino dude breaks open all the doors on the floor).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really cannot overstate how great 1x Neuro Stunner and filling the rest of the room with KIP cannons is.

Just watch out for the jerks that explode on death, that's how I lose most of my heroes.

Neuro Stunner + Tear Gas is pretty good at choking up the enemy too.

EDIT: Scroig is a Necrophage? Huh. Awfully friendly.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 3, 2014

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Speaking of the rhino dudes, how exactly do they work? By floor twelve, they seem to make it utterly impossible to actually progress through the level in at least a semi-orderly fashion; they eventually busted through so many doors that I couldn't actually finish the wave and had to make a dash for the newly rhino-revealed exit whilst a million notifications blared across the map, to say nothing of how things escalated when I picked up the crystal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hiveminded posted:

Speaking of the rhino dudes, how exactly do they work? By floor twelve, they seem to make it utterly impossible to actually progress through the level in at least a semi-orderly fashion; they eventually busted through so many doors that I couldn't actually finish the wave and had to make a dash for the newly rhino-revealed exit whilst a million notifications blared across the map, to say nothing of how things escalated when I picked up the crystal.

You get notified of the door they're heading towards, but the notification doesn't point to where they actually ARE. If you shoot them they die, but if they open a door you don't get resource generation.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Speedball posted:

You get notified of the door they're heading towards, but the notification doesn't point to where they actually ARE. If you shoot them they die, but if they open a door you don't get resource generation.

That's what I initially thought, but I had doors breaking down with no rhinos in sight, and without having picked up the crystal; it occurred to me that they might be breaking it down from the other side, but that seemed absurd and implausibly unfair.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Hiveminded posted:

That's what I initially thought, but I had doors breaking down with no rhinos in sight, and without having picked up the crystal; it occurred to me that they might be breaking it down from the other side, but that seemed absurd and implausibly unfair.

They can only break from directions that are already open. However, they can break doors down in fog of war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hiveminded posted:

Actually, I've consistently found level 4 Tesla modules to be superior even to fully scienced KIP cannons. The Tesla's dps overtakes the KIP's when it's damaging just two enemies, let alone the dozens that the player can often deal with per wave.

I guess I discarded Tesla as an option too early. Haven't gotten it researched on my current Drill dive yet.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

This game. :allears: It causes monsters to aggro onto the offending hero, as you'd expect.

Gaudia
Nov 4, 2011
That aggro ability is incredibly useful. Passive like on the scarf or active as some hero powers.

Stops mobs from running away to the next room and/or attack modules/crystal. Just make sure the hero you use it on can tank well.

The "monsters attack monsters" ability (I don't recall the name) Skroig has is incredibly useful for the same reasons as well. It really breaks giant blobs of mobs apart. Stops incoming damage so it gives you a lot of room to breathe as well.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
So far my scoreboard is pretty much:

Very Easy attempts: 1
Very Easy wins: 1
Easy attempts: 20
Easy wins: 0

I am absolutely loving this game and see it devouring many hours. If anyone is on the fence I would highly recommend you try it. :)

One thing, does anyone know what the 'Cryo Capsule' item does? It seems to function like the 'covered in dust and Dust' orbs where you trade industry for a chance at dust, but I've opened a bunch of them and it always just eats 20 industry for nothing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Usually gave me food when I opened it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Usually gives me food, once spawned a hero, can't remember any other results.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So uh, the elevator chatter between Golgy and Skroig sure is something. :stare:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

So uh, the elevator chatter between Golgy and Skroig sure is something. :stare:
It's my favourite interaction so far.

What sort of parties do you guys run? I tend to hit random at the moment to try out all the characters as I'm playing it but I haven't really found a set that I like to run, just a few individuals that I like.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Elise and another operator (professor, warden, Rakya) are my go-to starters. Elise is just so good as a chokepoint operator, especially with a tauntscarf.

Honorable mention to Max and Scroig, although not necessarily on the same team - I invariably prefer to have three operators and Max doesn't really excel there, he's a door-opener and mobile asset par excellence.

On another note, I'm not convinced tesla cannons hit multiple targets. Or is it only lv4 for some reason? Or did you mean the Claymore?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 3, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone unlock demon lady yet? She is awesome. She debuffs heroes in the same room with her, actively kills them with one of her abilities, but she has monster stats and fights better alone.

I think running too easy repeatedly to unlock a bunch of people then tackling easy is probably a worthwhile plan.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I've ended up up with a battlefield injector which I can sell for free, as in I doubleclick the item to sell it, but it doesn't disappear from my inventory.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Elise and another operator (professor, warden, Rakya) are my go-to starters. Elise is just so good as a chokepoint operator, especially with a tauntscarf.
I start with Rakya a fair bit because she seems to just chew poo poo up in defensive rooms later on when I need her to. I've been defaulting onto pairing her with not-Samus or Skroig but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Also I was doing some browsing on the Amplitude forums today when bored and I kinda hope they bring in the other vote characters from the earlier beta:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

victrix posted:

Anyone unlock demon lady yet? She is awesome. She debuffs heroes in the same room with her, actively kills them with one of her abilities, but she has monster stats and fights better alone.

I think running too easy repeatedly to unlock a bunch of people then tackling easy is probably a worthwhile plan.

She's really weird and I guess takes a bit to get going? Weak at first but pretty soon can just solo rooms. I grabbed her a bit late and she didn't really work well with the rest of the team so died alone.

Gork is pretty impressive once he gets some levels. He's slow as poo poo but being able to hold off the last room discovered monsters single-handily is pretty baller. He also has Soylent Green which really jacks up the food production.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't like the taunt items because it means the explody dudes that a lot of the time walk right past will always explode in the room, often with fatal consequences when 3-4 dudes go off at the same time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I don't take the chance even if I don't have a taunt item and there's a cluster of them. Also, they're one of the more hilarious uses for Skroig's (amazing) ability. :haw:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thank loving GOD, I finally finished a dungeon. I ended finishing with Hikensha/Rakya/Opbot/Josh.

Wasn't sure what to make of Josh but he made a good operator for one of my generators so I can't complain.

Hikensha/Opbot made for a good exploring force while everyone else defended key choke points and grinded out some crazy food for levelling up. Had 3 of my party at 15 by the end and over 400 industry.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I also just won on very easy and streamed awhile of it. Will upload it and put it on here for fence sitters to watch (buy the game. :ssh:). Its mildly narrated as i was replying to chat.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Thank loving GOD, I finally finished a dungeon. I ended finishing with Hikensha/Rakya/Opbot/Josh.

Wasn't sure what to make of Josh but he made a good operator for one of my generators so I can't complain.

Hikensha/Opbot made for a good exploring force while everyone else defended key choke points and grinded out some crazy food for levelling up. Had 3 of my party at 15 by the end and over 400 industry.

I tend to have four figures in industry at some point in the winning process. You can bludgeon through a lot of problems with that many minor modules.

I've not been especially fond of Hikensha on my short uses of her. What am I missing? Rakya and Josh are fantastic :allears: and Opbot's decent enough. He doubles as a pretty good chokepoint operator.

Josh's thing is that he has shitloads of wit, a built-in +wit to all heroes, and incidentally also that "boost all other heroes on map if not engaged" cooldown. His job is what you used him for: to bolster your economy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I tend to have four figures in industry at some point in the winning process. You can bludgeon through a lot of problems with that many minor modules.

I've not been especially fond of Hikensha on my short uses of her. What am I missing? Rakya and Josh are fantastic :allears: and Opbot's decent enough. He doubles as a pretty good chokepoint operator.

Josh's thing is that he has shitloads of wit, a built-in +wit to all heroes, and incidentally also that "boost all other heroes on map if not engaged" cooldown. His job is what you used him for: to bolster your economy.
I didn't actually pick my heroes. I rolled random at the start and started with Hikensha and Rakya. Hikensha is just a nice all-rounder statwise and just worked well for me as a general purpose melee person. The ability to self-buff in darkened rooms really helped with exploring and clearing spawning mobs quickly before my rooms started to get flooded if I had to keep multiple routes open.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Hikensha is useful as a science bot and mediocre operator, since she gets a +2 science per door talent at level 5, so you never really need to build sci gens ever.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Picked this game up last night because it looked cool and I've gotta say I'm very happy with my purchase. Only on floor 6 so far but I can see things getting much harder, especially the run to the elevator. Took me a few tries to realize that you can't just hunker down at the crystal when you pick it up and kill the horde, now I'm having a blast trying to figure out optimal routes and defenses and all that good stuff. If you are on the fence you should just get this game, its fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

When you grab the crystal, monsters don't spawn uninhabited rooms. Have a runner plug up a room to save yourself soe grief.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Speedball posted:

When you grab the crystal, monsters don't spawn uninhabited rooms. Have a runner plug up a room to save yourself soe grief.

This is another reason why you should get 4 people. I know they're pricey early on but it's worth it to have bodies blocking the exits. Don't rush them too early though or you might have a gimpy squad. This game has a delicate balance.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
When you pick up the crystal, it's best to depower all rooms except the ones going to exit as much as possible, then just high tail it out using faster people and turrets as cover on your way out. Leave slower people to sit in rooms you can't power closer to the exit, as otherwise they might get caught in mobs and left behind.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So, turns out the Sanitary Pod and achievement unlock at floor 12 of the drill, not floor 24. :effort:

Still gonna press on. See if I can actually GET to 24.

Also, I concede the point about taunting, as long as you're not in a room adjacent to the crystal, and sometimes even then; a lot of the time you'll only have one or two people in a room anyway. Frees up a gadget slot, too!

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I'm really enjoying this game, but I'm not fond of the inability to alter the game's keybinds. My mouse has a non-functional middle click and it's very hard trying to play w/out powering up rooms!

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Ezzer posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, but I'm not fond of the inability to alter the game's keybinds. My mouse has a non-functional middle click and it's very hard trying to play w/out powering up rooms!
I’m pretty sure you can control-click too? I remember seeing some alternative in the keybindings list at least.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Hactar posted:

I’m pretty sure you can control-click too? I remember seeing some alternative in the keybindings list at least.

I would kiss you right now if I could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also if you didn't already notice or know, you can power up rooms and series of rooms from the tac map. It's the fastest way to power and depower sections. You can even power a room instantly when you open a new door if you get enough dust.

Downside: You end up staring at the tac map a lot later on :(

• Locked thread