Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eyespy posted:

After reading through the rules I liken it to the love child of Malifaux and Warmachine, if said child was fed too much sugar. It forgoes a lot of the things that I had begin to take for granted in wargaming; There are no deployment zones. Model activation alternates between players, but there are no turns, just a queue of models with the length of queue varying with game size. This can mean you can have a model on the table that never activates, if you keep focusing on other units.

Note that the super fast model has some has both a charge (move before attacking) and a feint (move after charging) which makes it more insane.

The game is interesting, and I've had one good game and one "bad" game. It really comes down to what you face against and when scenarios you flip. Cerci Speed Corps are a bunch of racers who get VP for completing an objective without going through their deck, and it can feel like you are playing solitaire at times because it is all victory point based. You really need to think ahead and get used to the queue to avoid it. You also need a hella-lot of terrain since ranged attacks have infinite range.

Each faction is very unique, which is a plus. I kind of like the fluff/background... though the cheesecake is a bit bad on some models. Also, I created Anthony, Pollux, and Castor! Too bad they are in the "school girls with short skirts" faction.

I created a parent thread a while back that goes over more detail: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648293&highlight=

LordAba fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Discovered my area has a huge Warzone Resurrection following, so starting that game ASAP.

:dance:

Time to get GRIMDARK.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Eyespy posted:

After reading through the rules I liken it to the love child of Malifaux and Warmachine, if said child was fed too much sugar. It forgoes a lot of the things that I had begin to take for granted in wargaming; There are no deployment zones. Model activation alternates between players, but there are no turns, just a queue of models with the length of queue varying with game size. This can mean you can have a model on the table that never activates, if you keep focusing on other units.

There's a card mechanic with a suit focus, much like Malifaux, but with 6 suits. Each card has a major suit worth two Esper (spell points), and a minor suit worth one, as well as each model having 'held Esper' (non-transferable spell points). You need to have enough suited Esper in your hand(and/or Held Esper) to use an Ability, and then you draw a number of cards based on your stats to activate a Press, which is similar to a Warmachine Boost or Critical effect that adds to the initial action. The defender then has their five card hand + cards from their defense stat + Held Esper to try and get off a defense.

Its a very fast game as well, with every single model having two movement scores, one for the move before the action, one for the move after. The fastest model is 16-11 when fully buffed. That's a 16" move, an action, then an 11" move, on a 3'x3' board (more common move stats tend to be 6-8). Plus there are charges, pushes and pulls, and even an ability canned Tow which allows you to drag Objects around the board. Objects can include friendly and enemy models, objectives, terrain, all kinds of things.

Its not all great, the fluff is frankly excruciatingly bad and the sculpts (in particular the early ones) have terminal anime face and lack distinguishing features, unless you count boobs and butts, which are prominent.

I think the rules are very solid, and it makes a fun change from grimdark, plus how often do you get to break out the pastel paints?

Better than I could have said. Several sculpts look like they shrunk form their intended size, and scale isn't always consistent. One Shot, for example, does not justify the 80 mm base she comes on.

To be clear, this is not likely the next big tournament game, but it is a fun diversion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Apologies for the thread necro, but I just recently picked up Song of Blades and Heroes on a whim (a PDF version is on DriveThruRPG for $8), as I wanted a "generic fantasy" skirmish game that wasn't quite so setting-specific as Mordheim or whatnot. I did search the forums but there weren't too many posts about it, so I just wanted to see if any other goons have played it (or any of the other Ganesha Games products) and what their thoughts were. :)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I like it. Its has it's oddities / idioms, but it's a reasonably simple system that can be easily adapted. I do remember being a little irritated by some of it and thinking "A second edition / iteration could clean this up nicely".

Wasn't SoBaH used as the basis for one of the Osprey rule systems?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Apologies for the thread necro, but I just recently picked up Song of Blades and Heroes on a whim (a PDF version is on DriveThruRPG for $8), as I wanted a "generic fantasy" skirmish game that wasn't quite so setting-specific as Mordheim or whatnot. I did search the forums but there weren't too many posts about it, so I just wanted to see if any other goons have played it (or any of the other Ganesha Games products) and what their thoughts were. :)

The great thing about SBH is its universality. You can pretty much make anything you want with it, so if you have some random minis you can come up with what they are, particularly with the expansions.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've only played it once but it's good fun; I like the "push your luck" orders mechanic, where as I recall leaders/combined orders let you get around it a bit so you can create actual supporting heroes, rather than absolutely needing a combat monster leader.

If you only try for 2 orders you can't have your turn abruptly end, as I recall.

Bob Smith fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 26, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anyone had much experience with In Her Majesty's Name? It looks like a pretty fun Victorian gang-skirmish, which seems to be a pretty frequent setting these days.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

Has anyone had much experience with In Her Majesty's Name? It looks like a pretty fun Victorian gang-skirmish, which seems to be a pretty frequent setting these days.

I bought it since it related to a game I'm writing (a fantasy/horror/Wuxia skirmish game set in turn of the century China) thematically. It's a good game but overall I like Empire of the Dead more, however the games are essentially cross compatible so I encourage you to check both of them out.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I haven't played it; but I have all three books for IHMN. I like the customisability in IHMN and the Osprey Wargames have a very cheap buy in, all three books have cost me £30 in total.

Empire of the dead does interest me though and I'd like to hear more about it.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 27, 2014

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
It';s worth mentioning that every once in a while Amazon seems to do price reductions on the Osprey rules, especially the supplements. I got the heroic mythology one (Gods and Monsters?) for 99p.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

No Pun Intended posted:

I haven't played it; but I have all three books for IHMN. I like the customisability in IHMN and the Osprey Wargames have a very cheap buy in, all three books have cost me £30 in total.

Empire of the dead does interest me though and I'd like to hear more about it.

EotD feels much more like you took a not-Historicals game and added heavy historical themes to it. It honestly feels like something the Warhammer Historicals guys would have cooked up. It's a very European wargame however, and it definitely has that "cheese and stupidity are moderated by gentlemanly conduct" feel to it that plagues a lot of small scale brit games. I just have the book and two starters (the insane asylum guys and the gentlemanly evildoers) so I haven't really tested to see if you can cheese it out really hard but I sure feels like you can. It's sort of like a happy medium between Necromunda and Malifaux, where it has less abstraction and CCG in Mini's Form feelings like Mali but it's much more informed by recent games than Necromunda. The book isn't really worth it TBH, it's a nice tome and all but it's something like 30 pounds Brit and 45ish dollars US which is far from terrible but puts it like 10 dollars out of my range for a game I might just read and not play.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

moths posted:

I've played it once, and it was quite enjoyable. The rules are very straightforward, but like A Song of Blades and Heroes there's a lot of depth to customisation.

I mostly remember from the game I played my geisha assassin got into a ridiculously long fight with a couple of London bobbies as neither side could hit anything, while my pirate captain took on Holmes, Watson and a few more police and killed them all in melee with some very lucky rolls.

From what I remember it's mostly d10+modifier versus a static target number, and shooting is very, very difficult to do.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think I've pretty much sown up the slots of my wargaming bar one focusing a little more on the heroic, individual side of things. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on SAGA; but the idea of a battle-board really puts me off. Instead I have been reviewing 'A Song of Blades and Heroes' by Ganesha games and it seems to be perfect but I'm not sure if it's TOO light.

Does anyone in this thread have experience playing it?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I think I've pretty much sown up the slots of my wargaming bar one focusing a little more on the heroic, individual side of things. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on SAGA; but the idea of a battle-board really puts me off. Instead I have been reviewing 'A Song of Blades and Heroes' by Ganesha games and it seems to be perfect but I'm not sure if it's TOO light.

Does anyone in this thread have experience playing it?

About half-a-page up.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gosh, I'm sorry! I read that a while ago but forgot it was in this thread! Apologies.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I played my first solo game of Songs of Blades and Heroes this morning, and I was suitably impressed, I've never had a game play so smoothly and with this alacrity there is a very real possibility of a campaign against my regular opponent, instead of the usual we-do-it-once-and-get-bored killer. I used a scenario with all the rules, morale, VP and so on and it still wrapped up in under 45 minutes.

quote:

The Red Orc tribe mustered it's goons (Bugbear, Minotaur, Bear Warrior) and leaders (Warchief, Shaman) and set out to raid a local smithy, where rumours of a hidden diamond chalice would allow them to hire many mercenaries for their upcoming campaign. Little did they know, this chalice was an Elven artifact and that they too were on the prowl for it (Hero, Wizard and a retinue of three warriors).

The first half of the game was manouvering, the elves were able to constantly get the one-up over the orc force with their superior quality and within a few turns had uncovered all three treasure holes and found the chalice. The minotaur warrior denied a flank attack from some thin gits by savagely ripping them apart, but that couldn't reverse the fortune of the Elf Wizard and Hero spit-roasting everything on the other half of the board. Eventually it came down to the Wizard chopping at the knocked-down but extremely resilient warchief, and the Shaman causing the Elf hero to flee from the board. While this commotion was going on, a rather sensible warrior had grabbed the chalice and legged it back to Elfistan

I was struck by how powerful the elves quality seems, I only passed initiative to the orcs once or twice the whole time, and insane with the Hero rule. I would really like to try this out in a non-fantasy setting too, does anyone have any familiarity with how Songs of Shadows and Dust plays? If it's the same game but with different stat-lines I'll just jerry rig it into SoBH but otherwise may pick it up later today.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I was struck by how powerful the elves quality seems, I only passed initiative to the orcs once or twice the whole time, and insane with the Hero rule. I would really like to try this out in a non-fantasy setting too, does anyone have any familiarity with how Songs of Shadows and Dust plays? If it's the same game but with different stat-lines I'll just jerry rig it into SoBH but otherwise may pick it up later today.

I have Shadows & Dust, but haven't played it. Many of the "Song of" rulesets are pretty similar, just with a bit of chrome , some different powers and away you go. Which is not a bad thing - do the minimal changes necessary. S&D, from memory, has some campaign material and interesting bits like throwing roof tiles at people. Interesting and different in setting. The electronic copies of the rules are pretty cheap, so getting it from wargamevault might be a good compromise.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
ARENA REX: Gladiator Combat in a Mythic Age

Red Republic Games has successfully kickstarted their arena-based skirmish game, and the first wave of award fulfillments has gone out, with a webstore coming soon, so I figured It's a good time to put a post into this thread about it. The most recent version of the rules (outside of the rule book they're currently sending out to backers) is available for free on their forums, along with paper standees and stat cards for every character: http://redrepublicgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17651

Players control between 3-5 models per side (larger and smaller games are of course possible, just less common), in an alternating, you-go-I-go fashion. Each character has the ability to move for free once per activation, and then they can gain a fatigue (Fatigue Up) to move again, make an attack, or perform any additional special action that character may perform. If you have fatigued up, you may, during that same activation, become exhausted (Fatigue up again, from a fatigued state) to perform another action, in the same way as the first.

During each player's turn, they get to remove one fatigue from their roster, but only from fatigued models - exhausted models stay exhausted for the time being. After doing this, they may activate any other non-fatigued model. If at any point all of a player's models are fatigued or exhausted, that player instead takes a clear turn, removing a point of fatigue from every model (exhausted to fatigue, fatigue to ready), and an additional one fatigue from any one model.

Attacks are resolved by rolling the attacker's ATK stat in D6es, agaisnt the defender's DEF stat, also in D6es. 4+ is a success (dice are more fun than flipping coins). Compare the results: if the attacker has more successes, then you get to move down that many boxes on your attack tree. This is a little hard to explain without pointing at the cards, so I'll give you better, a link to a youtube explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeE7Xs7CM9k

During the course of a game, through attacks and special abilities, players will gain Favor Dice. these can be used (up to two per turn) to add to attacks or defense. The great thing about favor dice, is that successes on favor dice count doubled. You may also spend favor dice (again up to a maximum of two) on your clear turns to gain special bonuses, some of which are Ludus (Gladiator schools - used as the term for factions) and some of which are generic.

Terrain is a huge consideration: You can toss enemies into obstacles for more successes, into hazards for more damage, into pits for instea-defeat, and into beasts for.. a mauling.

There's a lot of rules stuff to go over, and I will probably add to this post when I get home from work, but, I got excited when my shipping email arrived and wanted to put this out there. The nice thing is that the majority of the rules are exception-based. Each model has it's special rules on it's stat card, which is also it's health counter.

A Little bit of fluff:

The four Ludus' each have their own flavor, gladiator pool, and Ludus benefits. Though you can mix and match gladiators from differente Ludus as you see fit, in order to have access to a given Ludus' benefits, you will need to have at least 75% of your gladiators from that school.

Ludus Magnus: Rome Rome Rome, the Romeyest Rome to ever Rome. These are the celebrities and big shots, kind of like the WWE of the game. There's the peoples' favorite, Hermes, whom you can't even attack without spending favor, and there's Heels like Otho, Who is unable to use Favor dice at all. Many of their advantages revolve around favor and individual excellence.

Legio XIII: The Lost Legion, rome-influenced Britons, with some druidic stuff thrown in for good measure (Remember this is NOT a historical game, there are mythical things involved). This functions a lot with teamwork and board control - they benefit from you pushing your enemies into your friends. They also have most of the direct support abilities (one of the guys heals allies, another can prevent movement).

Blood Brothers: Imagine if Vikings and Skraelings (Their word for the First Nations people they encountered in America) decided to cohabitate, form a workable, functioning society rather than fight with each other, and did so around the time of Marcus Aurelius. These guys are fast, and have a lot of ability to activate when they shouldn't. This is a school of skirmishers, they hit hard and fast, but without a lot of staying power.

Morituri: Egyptian themed, but definitely from the period of roman rule. They don't have as many movement or survivability shenanegans as other Ludus, but are hard hitting and each of them has a speical ability activated on death, which can be a game changer. There are other ways to trigger these abilities, as well, such as your ludus benefit. Also a whip wielding battlefield controller who can ride a sweet giant scorpion.

I should also note that the minis are gorgeous: http://www.arenarex.com/#!sculpt-gallery/c21zn

I'll be editing this to fill in some more later on~

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Are there any games that currently have a playerbase that depict large-scale combined-arms forces? Something like Epic 40K used to be, where you may have little squads of infantry skirmishing between the feet of giant war engines. For some reason I find it more engaging to my imagination if the battle is occurring on a large scale than on a squad-based skirmish scale, even if the mechanics are very similar. I am thinking it'd have to be a fantasy or sci/fi game to include the breadth of troop options I'd really like to see. Any games like this currently on the market?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Biggest one is probaby Dystopian Wars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dropzone Commander is also pretty amazing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kylaer posted:

Are there any games that currently have a playerbase that depict large-scale combined-arms forces? Something like Epic 40K used to be, where you may have little squads of infantry skirmishing between the feet of giant war engines. For some reason I find it more engaging to my imagination if the battle is occurring on a large scale than on a squad-based skirmish scale, even if the mechanics are very similar. I am thinking it'd have to be a fantasy or sci/fi game to include the breadth of troop options I'd really like to see. Any games like this currently on the market?

Your best bet is probably spaceship games where you have huge cruisers and stations and then lots of little fighters and such. Obviously BFG and Manowar are good for this but not really "supported" outside of fan communities. You have all the Spartan games stuff but while the games are OK their rules are some of the least proofread and worst put together things I've seen on the professionally published market. DZC has allready been mentioned but another thing in similar vein would be Battletech where you can have mech, tanks and troops all fighting in the same conflicts (see also the Jovian Chronicles game).

Full Thrust can do pretty much anything however so give that a look.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
As others have said you can certainly do it with Battletech and 40k (though most of this is not currently supported by GW). Spartan games just released their 10mm Company/army scale ruleset for their Firestorm Armada universe (probably just another re-skin of Dystopian wars) and I think they plan a 28mm skirmish game to go along with it. After playing some Firestorm armada I kept finding stuff I didn't like about it so I can't honestly recommend it.

My regular gaming partner/opponent and I are just creating our own by using Full Thrust for Space and OGRE for large scale ground combat. We don't play any skirmish scale games (that are sci-fi anyway) so we aren't bothering with it.

To make this work we just made our own universe to play in, and stole everything that wasn't nailed down from various media sources to fill in some fluff. So the Narn (from Bablyon 5) and fighting the Kzin (From Larry Niven's Known Space Universe) and Neo-Zeon (From Gundam) over Stargates (From Stargate but also in space). Of course this only works because of prior arrangement with my opponent, but its totally awesome.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Kylaer posted:

Dystopian Wars, and Armored Clash
You can also play Dystopian Legions if you want 28mm skirmish level
  • Steampunk / Victorian Sci-fi
  • Aircraft
  • Naval Fleets
  • Infanty regiments
  • Tanks
  • Walkers
  • tape-measure gameplay

Firestorm Armad and Planetfall
There is a 28mm Skrimish level for this in development, no rules have been posted but they have shown figures and a tank. Image
  • Sci-fi
  • Space Fleets
    • Fighters
    • Bombers
    • Frigates
    • Destroyers
    • Cruisers
    • Battleships
    • Dreadnoughts
  • Infantry
  • Tanks
  • Light Attack Vehicles
  • Mecha
  • tape-measure gameplay

Dropzone Commander
  • Sci-fi
  • Aircraft
  • Tanks
  • Infantry
  • Mecha
  • tape-measure gameplay

Battletech
There is also a PC emulator for this called MegaMek
  • Sci-Fi
  • Hardcore / detailed
  • Mechs
  • Infantry
  • Aircraft
  • Tanks
  • LAVs
  • Space combat (optional rules)
  • Hex-based gameplay

Battletech Alpha Strike
This is a single book addon to Battletech that changes the rules, with this you dont need the base Battletech rules.
  • Sci-Fi
  • Skirmish - Fast play
  • Mechs
  • Infantry
  • Aircraft
  • Tanks
  • LAVs
  • Space combat (optional rules)
  • tape-measure gameplay

Hope this helps, I can't think of any others right now. I have played / Collect and like all of these listed games.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

Firestorm Armad and Planetfall
There is a 28mm Skrimish level for this in development, no rules have been posted but they have shown figures and a tank. Image

They actually released the two player starter box and two allied boxes for Planetfall a month ago, and announced the next batch this week.

Wait 28mm as well? :stare:

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So here's an odd request. I saw that there's a Hell Dorado figure called Ashoka from the Lost Faction. He's a badass looking gatorman.

I'm wondering if anyone actually had this guy, or has it in person and can give me details about the relative size of him? I was wanting to put him with some of my Hordes Gatormen, but I don't know if Ashoka is super tiny, or too big, or what. The Hell Dorado website has pretty much nothing as far as information.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You have all the Spartan games stuff but while the games are OK their rules are some of the least proofread and worst put together things I've seen on the professionally published market.

The second editions of Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars have cleaned up the rulebooks, thankfully. FSA2.0's rulebook is a huge step forward, with colour-coding, a logical layout and an index. I've not read DW2.0's book but I'm informed it's a huge improvement on v1.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Full Thrust can do pretty much anything however so give that a look.

Yeah, FT's an old great for a reason! Always check it out if you want to try space gaming, the mechanics are simple and very easy to play around with without breaking anything.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thanks, all. I looked at Dystopian Wars and the scale seems to be just what I'm looking for, I'll have to read the rules and look into whether anyone plays it locally. Not a huge fan of the steampunk aesthetic but that's not a dealbreaker.

I remember reading about Dropzone Commander when it was new, I'll look into that as well, I know there is at least a small local playerbase because I got an email from a local store talking about demo days for it.

Space games could be fun, but for some reason the most appealing thing in my mind is the idea of a ground war (possibly with air support) involving clashing infantry maneuvering to take advantage of terrain, lumbering war machines who don't care overmuch about terrain, and long-range artillery support for whom terrain is something that happens to other people. Really I just want epic-scale 40K to still be a supported game and have a playerbase, I've read those rules and they seem pretty solid, but that game's pretty well dead now.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 1, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Kylaer posted:

Thanks, all. I looked at Dystopian Wars and the scale seems to be just what I'm looking for, I'll have to read the rules and look into whether anyone plays it locally. Not a huge fan of the steampunk aesthetic but that's not a dealbreaker.

I remember reading about Dropzone Commander when it was new, I'll look into that as well, I know there is at least a small local playerbase because I got an email from a local store talking about demo days for it.

Space games could be fun, but for some reason the most appealing thing in my mind is the idea of a ground war (possibly with air support) involving clashing infantry maneuvering to take advantage of terrain, lumbering war machines who don't care overmuch about terrain, and long-range artillery support for whom terrain is something that happens to other people. Really I just want epic-scale 40K to still be a supported game and have a playerbase, I've read those rules and they seem pretty solid, but that game's pretty well dead now.

Be sure to check out Planetfall then.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 1, 2014

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

jodai posted:

This is Umbra Turris. It is a table top wargame similar to Mordheim. There seems to be more customizability since your warband doesn't have a lot of restrictions beyond alignment. I've been on a generic miniatures war game kick lately and this is the most in-depth, full-fledged system I've found. It lends itself to campaigns and it feels a lot like building an rpg party. It's free and in English or Polish and there's also some cards you would have to print out.

I found this rules system after checking out some really cool minis(These pumpkin guys). They're not particularly cheap or anything but they look nice.

I also mentioned that I've been on a generic miniatures kick and Skulldred has been lots of fun for quick skirmishes. The system is still being worked on and the designer actually has version 3 being tested(The link is version 2.05). As it is, the system is pretty easy to completely unbalance but with a few houserules(specifically limiting armor and combat stats), it can be a nice tabletop diversion if your group is getting burnt out on whatever they play at the moment.

I posted this TG Steals and Deals thread a while ago but I thought I'd throw it up in here too. I was looking for something about generic miniature systems but I have a bunch of different versions of A Song of Blades and Heros. I love the core system and I have Fear and Faith, which adds some interesting elements of horror and Flying Lead, which allows some for modern and futuristic fire fights. The designer also released Power Legion, which is a generic super hero skirmish game that uses a lot of the same ideas as SoBH but expands to include more die sizes to indicate power differences. I also have Osprey Games' A Fistful of Kung Fu, which introduces a really cool hero/sidekick/minion thing into force building and allows heroes to spend chi points to do lots of different stuff. Inspired by Big Trouble in Little China and wuxia films and it shows in play. There's also Battlesworn, which plays very differently from the other games in that movement is not measured at all and bidding is a big part of the game. I haven't been able to get a game in for this one but it looks really different although as fast and fun as the other games.

My absolute favorite Ganesha Game is Mighty Monsters. The simplicity of the core system lends itself very well to fast paced kaiju battles and the damage system makes the battle feel very cinematic.

I think Ganesha Games in general lend themself to scenario, campaign play and solo play, too. It is simple and can be broken pretty easily if that's what you want to do but I think it's designed more for people who want a quick game with whatever is lying around. I would definitely suggest trying out one of the many varieties of game based off the SoBH system, it's a very cheap buy in as has been mentioned. $8 pdf or $14 for a softcover book, miniatures(Reaper Bones are perfect for these games) and you'll have to get three measuring sticks(I made mine out of chopsticks).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Be sure to check out Planetfall then.

:woop: Jackpot! Going to look up the rules, hope they're good!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kylaer posted:

OGRE is very good. It has giant tanks that can go up against entire armies of infantry, GEVs, tanks and artillery. It also has infantry, GEVs, tanks, and artillery, with variants of each. The giant cyber tanks come in several flavours from the babby original ones that are barely up gunned super heavy tanks to the Mk VIs that are just too small for the enemy response to be spamming nukes regardless of cost or collateral damage until it goes away. There's a stealth one, a fast raider one, a couple of foreign designs. You don't have squads of infantry skirmishing between the feet of giant war engines, but you do have squads of infantry squishing beneath the tracks of giant war engines. Don't get disheartened, infantry can be pretty good if you use them right and it's not like ogres can't ram and crush vehicles as well. It doesn't really have air units for fluff reasons - the closest you get are GEVs, basically fighter hovercraft, and treetop-skimming hypersonic nuclear cruise missiles that turn an entire hex into a molten crater.

Oh, that's a thing, it uses hexes unless you're using the miniatures game.

It's a fun game, easy to learn, fast to play and definitely a classic.

Most units just have movement and combat values, while bigger things (ogres, superheavy tanks if you're using the optional rule to consider them baby baby ogres) have a little record sheet and take damage to weapons, tread units and so on separately.

There are currently three versions: a $3 reprint of the original game with a single paper map and chits but none of the expansion content included in the other editions, the $10-15 PDF of the miniatures rules (basically the whole ruleset with measuring instead of hexes), or the 28 lb Designer's Edition which comes with a bunch of maps (the "classic" radioactive wasteland, and four more colourful and populated maps you can combine in various ways) and flat-packed ogres that you build like one of those Pirates of the Spanish Man ships, only three times thicker. And chits.

The DE is a solid, complete game, but you can buy expansion counter sheets from various people. The BoardGameGeek promo sheets have some nice new terrain elements, an Ogre Ninja, and Godzilla. One of the other expansions has the Vatican forces, whose AI cybertanks are Catholic and take communion. None of them are necessary.

The official miniatures are 6mm and IIRC a bit of an expensive pain to get hold of. I've seen some nice stuff done using 3mm, with modified 6mm tanks as the ogres.

There's also a GURPS supplement for roleplaying as an ogre.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll second the recommendation for OGRE here. It's in a slightly odd place, though.

OGRE is more of a board game than a "proper" 6mm/10mm tactical one. The game is built around one specific scenario (one OGRE versus a map full of enemies) and is very good at that scenario. The mechanics, deployment systems etc are all designed to run that scenario quickly, efficiently, and with a maximum of fun. Playing a meeting engagement or a pick-up game is slightly out of OGRE's comfort zone.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
MonPoc is also pretty fun as far as big and little dudes running around cities blowin poo poo up.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a quick rules Q for anyone who is familiar with the SoBH ruleset. Ambush is a rule which gives +1C when attacking from being 'totally hidden, not just in cover' - however the rules then go on to state that a model is either partially in cover (eligible for cover bonus) or not a valid target (i.e. not in LoS) - with that in mind, how can something ever ambush? A model most be within LoS of the target, and that means they're no longer totally hidden and don't get the ambush bonus...

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Loxbourne posted:

I'll second the recommendation for OGRE here. It's in a slightly odd place, though.

OGRE is more of a board game than a "proper" 6mm/10mm tactical one. The game is built around one specific scenario (one OGRE versus a map full of enemies) and is very good at that scenario. The mechanics, deployment systems etc are all designed to run that scenario quickly, efficiently, and with a maximum of fun. Playing a meeting engagement or a pick-up game is slightly out of OGRE's comfort zone.

All of the above is true, but definitely buy the 3 dollar version. I mean, a perfectly-balanced wargame for 3 bucks that fits in your pack!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I have a quick rules Q for anyone who is familiar with the SoBH ruleset. Ambush is a rule which gives +1C when attacking from being 'totally hidden, not just in cover' - however the rules then go on to state that a model is either partially in cover (eligible for cover bonus) or not a valid target (i.e. not in LoS) - with that in mind, how can something ever ambush? A model most be within LoS of the target, and that means they're no longer totally hidden and don't get the ambush bonus...

The melee ambusher _starts_ their turn out of LoS and then rushes in and attacks within one turn.

However, the ranged attack ambush is a bit strange as you point out because it describes them as being totally in cover and cover is protective not LoS.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Right! So it's based on start of turn, not start of action! Cheers for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm looking to scratch an itch from an idea I have in my mind. My ideal game right now:

Giant robots/mecha
Interchangeable wysiwyg parts
50mmish scale (for the fun of painting)
Warmachine-like location damage
Low mini count
Arena battle
Easy to learn rules

Anyone know a game like this?