Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

So the democrat slate lit outside the polling station has a sample ballot looking lower half, with the sample ballot filled in for democrats.

Just had an elderly Eastern European immigrant woman walk up, slap down the lit at the clerk table, point at the bubble filled in for straight ticket dem, announce "Democrat!" and turn to go.

We got her set up right, but still

Sounds like you've been having a splendid morning with the electorate. Your in Indiana as well correct? Had any issues with proper IDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joementum posted:

Not sure whether the Sapient or StopCommonCore ballot line is more eye-rolly.

I had heard about Stop Common Core line but Sapient was a new one when I cast my ballot this morning.

http://sapientparty.com/

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Joementum posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is Sapient? A quick look at their website implies that they're for campaign reform.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Joementum posted:

StopCommonCore is just some bullshit to put Astorino's name on the ballot one more time. The Sapient people are loving crazy though

Phlairdon posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is Sapient? A quick look at their website implies that they're for campaign reform.

Here's a hint: they want a flat tax

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 4, 2014

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

StopCommonCore is just some bullshit to put Astorino's name on the ballot one more time. The Sapient people are loving crazy though

Are they just more fringe than right wing libertarian?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The one thing I've learned about NY Politics since moving here is that I want nothing to do with them, also ballot access lines are loving hilarious.

So I guess that's two things.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Phlairdon posted:

Are they just more fringe than right wing libertarian?

I thought so too but there's some clean environment stuff in their platform. It's hard to peg down.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RocktheCaulk posted:

For real? Wow that's amazing, she was up 9 points a few weeks ago. I can't be to surprised though, one of my grad school colleagues works on a lot of Republican campaigns and said her teams strategy was "Don't let her talk to the public or meet people".

Ah, the Dan Patrick Gambit.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Edmund Lava posted:

StopCommonCore is just some bullshit to put Astorino's name on the ballot one more time.

You could say the same about the Democrats and "Women's Equality" :rolleyes:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Sapient also advocates for the return of the line-item veto, weekend elections, replacing the electoral college with direct election of the president, federal referendum on all tax increases, and a whole boatload of lobbying reforms.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I voted absentee in Fairfax and the moment I put in the request the Republicans started begging me not to and the Democrats started sending me information on how to not gently caress it up. So that's pretty telling. How hosed is Virginia probably anyway?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

You could say the same about the Democrats and "Women's Equality" :rolleyes:

The wonderful world of fusion ballots. The only one that matters is Working Families Party. They always go with the Dems but managed to make some mischief in the past.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bill Clinton was at UCF last night, it was a pretty awesome rally that gave me a lot of hope for FL finally turning blue, however since then reality has set in. At least amendment 2 will probably pass.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

uncurable mlady posted:

Sapient also advocates for the return of the line-item veto, weekend elections, replacing the electoral college with direct election of the president, federal referendum on all tax increases, and a whole boatload of lobbying reforms.

What's their stance on Free Silver?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Spiffster posted:

Sounds like you've been having a splendid morning with the electorate. Your in Indiana as well correct? Had any issues with proper IDs?

Yep, down in Marion County. Not really much in the way of ID issues so far, a few changed addresses we had to get noted, one case where the guy's license had a middle initial and his voter registration didn't and one of the poll watchers tried to make something of it until the judges stepped in, but largely fine on that front.

Of course this is before the after work crush so we will see

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

What's their stance on Free Silver?

16:1 or we burn down the treasury.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Are party shirts (or candidate shirts) considered Electioneering?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you are working, yeah, you aren't supposed to be wearing them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

uncurable mlady posted:

Good, good, good, :stonk:, maybe-good.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Good, good, good, :stonk:, maybe-good.

The line-item veto is good? I always thought it made the executive branch too powerful.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

UnoriginalMind posted:

The line-item veto is good? I always thought it made the executive branch too powerful.

Also a good way to make sure poo poo doesn't get passed. Why change your vote for a favorable amendment went the Governor can take it out with little recourse.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pulling for Mary Burke in Wisconsin harder than I'm pulling for most anyone in my own state.

It is unacceptable to see the home of the Iron Brigade in the hands of the neo-confederates

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Dan Buhrdorf is on campus at UNL handing out fliers and running on 0% student loan interest. Is the Senate race in Lincoln enough of a lost cause that I can throw my vote to this guy?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Apparently the Gadsen Flag is acceptable though.
:negative:

I'm an election observer today. So far, the only people who have been refused are people who went to the wrong polling station.

Lots of provisional ballots though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I voted today. drat, it feels good to be a gangsta voter.

But gently caress Shannon Jones (R-Ohio, State Senator). No write-in option and no opposition (:negative:), so I left that poo poo blank.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Voting Scotch is always the right answer. :smug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you are in Cambridge, MA today you have the option of voting for Pirate Party candidate Noelani Kamelamela to be your Representative in the General Court.

He's running on a platform of ending government surveillance, ending the drug war, and establishing free municipal WiFi.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

Also a good way to make sure poo poo doesn't get passed. Why change your vote for a favorable amendment went the Governor can take it out with little recourse.

Eh, I was never a fan of using riders to push bills through. That's how we end up with attack ads like "Candidate X voted against [obvious good thing]!" and "Candidate Y voted for [obvious bad thing]!" when both refer to the same drat bill.

Their tax reform ideas are libertarian-style batshit, though.

Joementum posted:

If you are in Cambridge, MA today you have the option of voting for Pirate Party candidate Noelani Kamelamela to be your Representative in the General Court.

He's running on a platform of ending government surveillance, ending the drug war, and establishing free municipal WiFi.

Not in MA, but I'll gladly drink some scotch in his name, tonight. :cheers:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2014

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there a way to confirm that my absentee ballot arrived and was counted? I'm not seeing anything on my county's site. It's Carteret County in NC, by the way.

e: Found it via NC's BoE. It was accepted. :) Go, Hagan and Adame. :smith:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Miltank posted:

Dan Buhrdorf is on campus at UNL handing out fliers and running on 0% student loan interest. Is the Senate race in Lincoln enough of a lost cause that I can throw my vote to this guy?
Dave Domina is a sacrificial lamb. Really great guy, basically embodies the character of Nebraska, and is absolutely not going to win without a miracle.

So vote for whoever. I didn't see Buhrdorf on the ballot this morning but I probably didn't pay attention.

EDIT: The minimum wage increase is a wildcard in this election. It should draw out voters who are inclined to vote Democratic, which could make races like NE-2 go Democratic, but I don't think it'll be enough to push Domina into the Senate, or flip the Governor's seat.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 4, 2014

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

Pulling for Mary Burke in Wisconsin harder than I'm pulling for most anyone in my own state.

I can't believe how close it is. The polls actually show Walker winning by anywhere from 1 to 5 percent.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

Eh, I was never a fan of using riders to push bills through. That's how we end up with attack ads like "Candidate X voted against [obvious good thing]!" and "Candidate Y voted for [obvious bad thing]!" when both refer to the same drat bill.

Their tax reform ideas are libertarian-style batshit, though.

I'll concede it's distasteful, but it gets poo poo done. I'd rather the NYS legislature not become more of a eternal pissing match than it already is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

The one thing I've learned about NY Politics since moving here is that I want nothing to do with them, also ballot access lines are loving hilarious.

I've learned that NYC apparently has trilingual ballots.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

It is unacceptable to see the home of the Iron Brigade in the hands of the neo-confederates

Being from Wisconsin originally myself, keep up the good work. Walker is one of the scummiest politicians I've seen and I still can't believe that my home state voted for the guy (twice!)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The Libertarian Senate candidate in Illinois lists her occupation as "Innkeeper." As much as I think adventurers would stimulate our economy, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Edit:
Hey, their candidate for Secretary of State is a "Tower Climber." It's almost uncanny!

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SinetheGuy posted:

The Libertarian Senate candidate in Illinois lists her occupation as "Innkeeper." As much as I think adventurers would stimulate our economy, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Roll 1d20 to institute a flat tax.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Going to see Peter Hook play a bunch of Joy Division and New Order songs tonight, I guess that's an appropriate way to deal with the election results

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

How is it only noon?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sir Tonk posted:

Going to see Peter Hook play a bunch of Joy Division and New Order songs tonight, I guess that's an appropriate way to deal with the election results
This seems like the right soundtrack, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Phlairdon posted:

Being from Wisconsin originally myself, keep up the good work. Walker is one of the scummiest politicians I've seen and I still can't believe that my home state voted for the guy (twice!)

Plus he looks like a baby just about to go to sleep. Like, all the time with that loving face of his.

• Locked thread