Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It doesn't look like Third Eye runs events anymore. Which is a shame because they are a very clean and organized quality place. I'll remove them from my list.

Please don't go to Dream Wizards though, as long as they make money they will never improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Deckit posted:

Third Eye Comics doesn't host MTG stuff, they only sell the product. At least the one in Annapolis.

There are two shops right near each other in Glen Burnie that run weekly Modern nights, as well as two FNMs. One for Standard and one for Modern. Squabbles and Games and Stuff are the names.

Both are pretty established but Squabbles has an unfriendly player base the two times I went.
OK, those are the two places I went to last time. I remember preferring Games and Stuff, but Squabbles has a Wednesday night Modern. I seem to recall someone talking about a FNM at a bar somewhere in Baltimore, is that still a thing?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AgentSythe posted:

Paging What a Judas to this thread.

Dream Wizards is a store just a bit to the south. I live in DC and that's about as far north as I get. If you want to come down this way, Curio Cavern in Springfield has weekly modern and legacy events with some really skilled players. I know the legacy and especially vintage scene south of Baltimore is very robust, and this thread has a bunch of posters from there so they can chime in as well.

Hey, you rang? Get with the name change, buddy!

Dream Wizards is terrible. Stay away. Go anywhere else. You'd be better off challenging opponents in a dirty rest stop bathroom.

Good Baltimore places to look into:

Games and Stuff
Brewport Games
Squabbles
Titan Games

There are a couple other reasonable places, but these are the ones I frequent or have heard the best things about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Games and stuff is fantastic. I usually go there to play x-wing but their magic events and employees are great. They have great players too. They have 15-card proxy vintage tournaments monthly with great prize support but those are $20 entry.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Games and stuff is fantastic. I usually go there to play x-wing but their magic events and employees are great. They have great players too. They have 15-card proxy vintage tournaments monthly with great prize support but those are $20 entry.

$25 entry, but they add another 25% in store credit to the prize. I go to these most of the time.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Dream Wizards is the hottest garbage in case everyone else's opinion hasn't convinced anyone. I played at Beyond Comics and Novel Books in Gaithersburg, MD when I lived there, small crowds with flatter prize payouts that encourages enjoyable evenings of wizard poker. Skilled players too, but it's not the place to go if you want to walk away with a box for winning FNM.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

AgentSythe posted:

Paging What a Judas to this thread.

Dream Wizards is a store just a bit to the south. I live in DC and that's about as far north as I get. If you want to come down this way, Curio Cavern in Springfield has weekly modern and legacy events with some really skilled players. I know the legacy and especially vintage scene south of Baltimore is very robust, and this thread has a bunch of posters from there so they can chime in as well.

Some content: a quick reminder that lotus petals provide two mana for casting a Dig Through Time. Fair magic card.

Curio Cavern is really good. On top of there being a lot of good players and support for eternal formats, everyone is really friendly except for a couple of dumpy girls who are mean when you beat them in draft for some reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Curio Cavern is mostly boring dudes with a few sweet characters like Luis, Mikey, and Chris (and formerly Gearheart) to keep the amusement up. There seems to be too many of the grinder types that frequent the cavern nowadays.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The staff is really good and I like them

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I have never been to Dream Wizards but always see PTQs and IQs and stuff so that's why I mentioned but if the posters in this thread say it's bad then don't go there. I also like Curio Cavern and can vouch for everyone I've played being really nice and cool

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's amazing to me that Dream Wizards pushes on, I've never heard a good thing about them, every experience I've had has been bad. Even people in the Judging community will warn each other about that place.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 3, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Thing that happened at Dream Wizards: high school age head judge for TCG Standard States last month gave away the "Champion" playmat to the person I beat in the first round of the top 8, and didn't notice until after the guy had already left. Offered the finalists the Judge playmat as a consolation.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Thing that happened at Dream Wizards: high school age head judge for TCG Standard States last month gave away the "Champion" playmat to the person I beat in the first round of the top 8, and didn't notice until after the guy had already left. Offered the finalists the Judge playmat as a consolation.

This does not surprise me.

Ahahahahaha.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Second draft of my brew, partly justifying my trying to acquire Bobs/Skrillex, hoping the extra cards will make it more consistent. I'm starting to rethink the Zombies though, Gravecrawler is not so easily exploited as Bloodghast, but both it and Messenger work with the deck's aims, and Messenger and Mutavault should help me cast Gravecrawlers from the graveyard. I could possibly switch the 'Crawlers for Bloodsoaked Champion, and possibly bring in Falkenrath Aristocrat to do some heavy hitting.

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
2 Mutavault
1 Plains
2 Polluted Delta
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
4 Thoughtseize
3 Victim of Night

//Creatures
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodghast
4 Dark Confidant
2 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
1 Painter's Servant
3 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
2 Viscera Seer

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Trying to make a new deck for modern tonight. What hoses delver and Burn the worst?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Trying to make a new deck for modern tonight. What hoses delver and Burn the worst?

Norin Soul Sisters. 100% serious post, I'm 18/2 against UR Delver and 2/0 against Burn.

If not that, a good RUx control deck with Pyroclasm/Anger of the Gods, Spell Snare/Pierce, Batterskull, etc. My RUG deck has pretty good game against both. I can post lists for either if you're interested.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Snacksmaniac posted:

Some deck with Tarmogoyf and Obstinant Baloth probably

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Norin Soul Sisters. 100% serious post, I'm 18/2 against UR Delver and 2/0 against Burn.

\

My Norin deck that I loaned out last week took first and it was super untuned.
I do like the Baloth deck idea though. Thanks for the ideas guys.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

My Norin deck that I loaned out last week took first and it was super untuned.
I do like the Baloth deck idea though. Thanks for the ideas guys.

I saw a guy streaming a version of Norin last night with 3 maindeck Blasting Stations! They were pretty mediocre, but still! I'd love to figure out how to do the whole streaming thing so I could make you goons look at my ugly mug while I stream some Norin nonsense. I'm still not really happy with it. It's missing something... I'll probably add some blue for Serum Visions and Thought Scour, and I guess Treasure Cruise. I hear that's a good card. :v:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Streaming is easy to set up, if you are being serious I can help you out with setting it up. Streaming MTGO takes a pretty beefy comp though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

suicidesteve posted:

I saw a guy streaming a version of Norin last night with 3 maindeck Blasting Stations! They were pretty mediocre, but still! I'd love to figure out how to do the whole streaming thing so I could make you goons look at my ugly mug while I stream some Norin nonsense. I'm still not really happy with it. It's missing something... I'll probably add some blue for Serum Visions and Thought Scour, and I guess Treasure Cruise. I hear that's a good card. :v:
Having a facecam isn't mandatory, and it'd be great if you left it out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

neetengie posted:

Having a facecam isn't mandatory, and it'd be great if you left it out.

I'm not that ugly. My wife thinks I'm handsome anyway, although she married me so her judgment is highly suspect.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Streaming is easy to set up, if you are being serious I can help you out with setting it up. Streaming MTGO takes a pretty beefy comp though.

I was half serious, but I doubt my laptop could handle it. It can barely play Starcraft 2 on high, so MTGO seems like it's out of the question. Thanks anyway, though. I might take you up on it one day.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

If not that, a good RUx control deck with Pyroclasm/Anger of the Gods, Spell Snare/Pierce, Batterskull, etc. My RUG deck has pretty good game against both. I can post lists for either if you're interested.

Hmm... I have everything to make that deck and it's funny. Can I shove proc into it somewhere from my old martyr proc deck or does it not fit?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hmm... I have everything to make that deck and it's funny. Can I shove proc into it somewhere from my old martyr proc deck or does it not fit?

I've seen it as a fun-of. Why not!? Also a possible card: Return to the Ranks.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Won some cash with rug thanks to baloth so thanks guys.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Legacy people - what are your thoughts on this Mono Green 12-post deck? It went 3-1 online in a legacy daily.

It looks surprisingly cheap to put together in paper as well (other than a 1-of Tabernacle in the sideboard) - although it doesn't run Candelabras which seems incorrect to me?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Won some cash with rug thanks to baloth so thanks guys.
gib list gib gib

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

neetengie posted:

gib list gib gib

I just played the second place list from last scg modern Sunday and jammed three baloths in the board. Will post it later.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Mondrian posted:

Legacy people - what are your thoughts on this Mono Green 12-post deck? It went 3-1 online in a legacy daily.

It looks surprisingly cheap to put together in paper as well (other than a 1-of Tabernacle in the sideboard) - although it doesn't run Candelabras which seems incorrect to me?

The 12-post lists I've seen all do run Candelabras, but in paper they instantly turn it from a budget list to a non-budget list so if the deck works without it, might as well save the money.

The list is obviously weak to any non-basic land hate, but thankfully there's a lot less of that going around than there used to be.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mondrian posted:

This deck has been floating around for a while. It's fine. The deck du jour can't do poo poo about a recurring Glacial Chasm. You wouldn't want Candelabras in this list since you can't do Repeal shenanigans if you're not in blue. Idk, it has the same problems that Turbo Eldrazi does except you don't have any reliable selection other than the tops. You probably want a Tabernacle since it fucks up UR Delver real bad and is a good out to TES or something making like 16 goblins turn 1.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mondrian posted:

I don't think this deck is where you want to be in Legacy right now. It's not as fast as the truly fast decks and there is very little room to outplay your opponent. So much of the field has great ways to disrupt you, meanwhile you've got a Pithing Needle. Pffbt.

It's probably pretty good on MODO where half your matches on any given day are going to be Burn and Delver but I certainly wouldn't be sleeving it up for GPNJ. That said if its between this Legacy deck and no Legacy deck, this poo poo wins every time and it should be fine playing your local store, just you know be prepared to really earn your wins and take some losses where you didn't have much you could do.

That reminds me, who is going to GPNJ?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 4, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I'll be there slinging reanimator.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'll be there playing UWR Delver, unless something convinces me otherwise between now and then.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Seems like I should be there playing.... something. I'll figure it out on my way there. I'm going to ask every single person I play if they have stairs in their house.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'll be there with Jund.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'll be there if I can pick a God drat deck.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
My favorite deck for legacy is MUD Welder always

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

I'll be there with Jund.

Hi five fellow Jund player.

Good luck to everyone going to the GP. Ours is after Thanksgiving.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hi five fellow Jund player.

Good luck to everyone going to the GP. Ours is after Thanksgiving.

Have you changed your build to deal with Delver? I've gone up to 4 Bolt/3 Punishing Fire, moved the Library and the Maelstrom Pulse to the SB and I'm also SB'ing 2x Kitchen Finks for the Burn Cruise deck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Have you changed your build to deal with Delver? I've gone up to 4 Bolt/3 Punishing Fire, moved the Library and the Maelstrom Pulse to the SB and I'm also SB'ing 2x Kitchen Finks for the Burn Cruise deck...

I always used 3 bolts 4 fires and 1 pulse. I went down to 3 bloodbraids though.

The sideboard tech is golgari charm, pyroclasm, engineered plague and toxic deluge and 2 each pyroblast and red elemental.

I just lose to burn, it's something I have accepted in life.

• Locked thread