Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I always used 3 bolts 4 fires and 1 pulse. I went down to 3 bloodbraids though.

The sideboard tech is golgari charm, pyroclasm, engineered plague and toxic deluge and 2 each pyroblast and red elemental.

I just lose to burn, it's something I have accepted in life.

Clasm kills too many of your own dudes for my taste. I do think that the 4 bolt / 3 fire is right since you are much happier drawing multiples of bolt. I'm on 3 bloodbraids and 1 pluse too and of course charm and blasts in the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Clasm kills too many of your own dudes for my taste. I do think that the 4 bolt / 3 fire is right since you are much happier drawing multiples of bolt. I'm on 3 bloodbraids and 1 pluse too and of course charm and blasts in the board.

Clasm has powered me through too many decks to count. It's one of my go to cards on the sideboard. It kills bob and DRS but so do my other sweepers. It's also nice late game if you are playing d&t to Clasm then when they tap their moms drop a charm to sweep the pro red crap left. It's all personal though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Clasm has powered me through too many decks to count. It's one of my go to cards on the sideboard. It kills bob and DRS but so do my other sweepers. It's also nice late game if you are playing d&t to Clasm then when they tap their moms drop a charm to sweep the pro red crap left. It's all personal though.

I feel like D&T is one of our better matchups though so I bring in more hate against decks I don't feel as comfortable against MB.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

I feel like D&T is one of our better matchups though so I bring in more hate against decks I don't feel as comfortable against MB.

Any fair deck is one of our better matches. But making absolutely sure you are going to win is much better.

The only decks I have a really hard time with are Burn and Omnitell. Kitchen finks seems like good tech against burn and I may move my sideboard around to accommodate. I should probably take out the chains of Mephistopheles but god drat that card is funny and against Omnitell it's brutal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Any fair deck is one of our better matches. But making absolutely sure you are going to win is much better.

The only decks I have a really hard time with are Burn and Omnitell. Kitchen finks seems like good tech against burn and I may move my sideboard around to accommodate. I should probably take out the chains of Mephistopheles but god drat that card is funny and against Omnitell it's brutal.

If I had a Chains I would play it MB. It's so good vs anything blue.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

It's not that great since it's a one of. I mull for it if I have to have it. Dropping it turn 3 or 4 against Omnitell is pretty drat funny... They just kind of look at you because most of them have never seen a chains. Then it dawns on them and while they can still win most of them will scoop.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's not that great since it's a one of. I mull for it if I have to have it. Dropping it turn 3 or 4 against Omnitell is pretty drat funny... They just kind of look at you because most of them have never seen a chains. Then it dawns on them and while they can still win most of them will scoop.

Is Omnitell even a thing in the current meta? I haven't seen that deck in ages...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Is Omnitell even a thing in the current meta? I haven't seen that deck in ages...

Yeah it's not dead yet and people play to down here because it was so popular the decks are still around. The main meta down here is

All the loving delver
Stone blade variants with true name
Show and tell/Omnitell
Fish
Jund

Occasionally burn and infect will show up but not often. Miracles is kind of rare here. MUD still makes appearances.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm going with Sneak and Show with super secret fire // ice and sideboard inferno titan technology.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm very excited to Delver Cruise each and everyone of you out of contention.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

This was going to be my addition: main deck Chains and Red Blast(s?)

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You're a bad person.

Seriouspost: we should have a goon tournament after we all go 0-3 drop.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What's your sideboard looking like? In my testing. UR Delver's matchup against combo ain't that good and only the versions boarding in heavy permission (like, actual Flusterstorm) seem to get there consistently.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AgentSythe posted:

What's your sideboard looking like? In my testing. UR Delver's matchup against combo ain't that good and only the versions boarding in heavy permission (like, actual Flusterstorm) seem to get there consistently.

I want to reiterate what kind of terrible people you delver players are.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

No no no, I am not playing Delver. My friend is and I was his testing buddy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AgentSythe posted:

No no no, I am not playing Delver. My friend is and I was his testing buddy.

Uh huh. Your "friend" is playing delver. Yeah.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want to reiterate what kind of terrible people you delver players are.

RUG Delver Canadian Threshold is awesome. It's the UR hype train players that are terrible people.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah it's not dead yet and people play to down here because it was so popular the decks are still around. The main meta down here is

All the loving delver
Stone blade variants with true name
Show and tell/Omnitell
Fish
Jund

Occasionally burn and infect will show up but not often. Miracles is kind of rare here. MUD still makes appearances.

@ my LGS, it's really only been the top 3 decks there. Most of the Jund players I know have built some kind of Delver deck.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey if you want to beat Legacy Delver lists I've been having an EXTREMELY easy time with MUD Welder w/ maindeck Blood Moons

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

My cool secret tech is 2 electrickery.

As far as the combo matchup the 3 expected combo matches I'm ready for are Elves, Sneak and Show, and ANT. For Elves the removal suite and electrickery do a really nice job, Sneak and Show I have Ensnaring Bridge and Flusterstorm/REB to help in the counter wars. For ANT I don't run anything specific but I hope Force, Daze, and the Cages I run for Dredge + Flusterstorm are good enough to get there.

The combo matchup isn't terrible you just need to mulligan differently and expect your hand to do different things. It's going to be a rare hand that will be able to keep a combo deck off their wincon for 6+ turns, so you need to look for hands that have enough pressure that when you can delay your opponents combo by a few turns you'll be able to win.

It is not like the old RUG games where sometimes you could keep a fistful of permission and a wasteland and expect to waste, stifle, and force and have your opponent scrambling long enough to draw a Tarmogoyf that can get there. You need to be a lot more cognizant that you need a clock when you're trying to beat combo. At least that's my experience so far.

The rest of my board is pretty typical Lavamancer for creature strategies, Elemental for Death and Taxes, Shattering Spree for equipment, a Fire//Ice for utility, nothing crazy

Fully expect to lose to Enchantress, Some prison deck, and U/B Budget Wizards since I've prepared so well for the expected matchups

EDIT: I've been giving a lot of thought to dropping Shattering Spree for Smelt, since I rarely get two cards off Spree and Smelt is an instant but I'm not sure.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 5, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What if you had been playing U/R delver since before delver was even a card? Are you still complete scum?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wadjamaloo posted:

What if you had been playing U/R delver since before delver was even a card? Are you still complete scum?

No. But that person doesn't exist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just tested my BW brew against Storm, won 2 then lost one, I think he had a bad keep in the first game. I think I went a long way on being able to swing with efficient recastable guys like Gravecrawler and Bloodghast, and keeping card advantage with Bob. I sideboarded Runed Halo and a couple of Tidehollow Scullers in place of my creature removal, and forced a bunch of discard through Liliana OTV (discarding Gravecrawlers, Bloodghasts and Lingering Souls myself) which might be a bit double-edged against him, but the threat of her ultimate is pretty strong. Need some committed graveyard hate, which my colours can do. Should I perhaps have Eidolon or Rhetoric or Ethersworn Canonist for this match? I think I got lucky this time, and have plenty of cards I can side out, Teysa does very little.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No. But that person doesn't exist.
I played burn splash brainstorm, with sideboard daze, close enough. :colbert:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

No, then you just played a bad deck.

Wadjamaloo posted:

That's pretty much what UR Delver is.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Wadjamaloo posted:

Without the Delver that seems bad

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Fully expect to lose to Enchantress, Some prison deck, and U/B Budget Wizards since I've prepared so well for the expected matchups

Not that it is a good deck, but hoo boy does Solitary Confinement seem pretty bad for you. Of course, that means they have to resolve an enchantress effect AND another 3 mana spell before they die

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

This was going to be my addition: main deck Chains and Red Blast(s?)

You're a bad person.

Seriouspost: we should have a goon tournament after we all go 0-3 drop.

Hey I think I have a bye. So I'll be 1-3 dropping thank you.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Modern trip report: I was much less salty this week at the end of modern night after 4-0ing with this bad boy:

Round 1 vs Delver Cruise: Lost game one to a mull to 5 that would have been acceptable if I drew any creature, I did not. Game 2 I plopped down a turn 2 Wheel of Sun and Moon on the play against him which stranded a Treasure Cruise and Snaps in his hand, followed by me curving out. Game 3 he played t1 Delver which I snap Gut Shotted. On his turn 3 he did the best thing possible for me, which was bolt one of my dude with his Steam Vents and burn through two Serum Visions tapping his Islands looking for another Delver or Pyromancer. My turn 3 I got to play Choke and won from there since he couldn't find a land until it was too late.

Round 2 vs Affinity: Won game 1 thanks to a huge Dungrove Elder wearing a Rancor that he couldn't block profitably with an Etched Champion. Game 2 was super close, he spent the first half of the game almost poisoning me out with Inkmoth and two Signal Pest, but I topdecked an Oxidize to pop the Inkmoth the turn that it would have killed me. Unfortunately, he had pecked me down to 10 life in the process and had double Galvanic Blast in hand. Game 3 he had to mull to 5 and didn't hit his land or Mox Opal until turn 3, which is great for me. He was super close to getting back in the game with a Vault Skirge and Cranial Plating, but I Vines of Vastwooded his Skirge in response to the Plating equip which left him with not enough lifelink to let him survive the next turn.

Round 3 vs. Delver Cruise: Very similar to the first round except against a much less skilled/experienced opponent, he made a lot of weird plays like Probing before playing his Pyromancer while I was tapped out before he saw Gutshot from me and fetching for a tapped Steam Vents into a Choke even though he had basics left in his deck. I also stranded a bunch of Treasure Cruises in his hand thanks to a hungry Scavenging Ooze. I lost game 2 to a solid hand of 1 drop, 2 drop, 3 drop, pump spell, 3x forest but then proceeded to draw 7 additional Forests in a row :suicide:.

Round 4 vs. Pod: I was playing against a buddy so we split the prize money but played for the glory, he usually wrecks me when I play Stompy but rolls over to me when I play Merfolk so I was not optimistic about my chances. Game 1 was close but I was reasonably on curve and ran him down before he could start podding into good stuff. Game 2 was one of the most interesting games I think I've played against Pod, I had a double Rancor plus Torpor Orb opening hand and I started out with a decent amount of gas so I was forcing him to double block a bunch to stay in the game which I was able to follow up with a new creature plus double Rancor for a few turns, bringing him down to 5ish life in the process. I eventually slammed double Rancor'd Thrun onto the table and thought I had him dead, but he responded to that with Linvala and Courser of Kruphix. I attacked in knowing I would lose the Thrun because I had a Strangeroot Geist in hand and he was at 6, I also could have had any pump spell in hand to ruin his day but I didn't. We trade and he's left with a Birds of Paradise and Pod and I've got a 6/1 Trampler ready to go. He plays Siege Rhino and Voice on his turn, my turn he chumps with voice, makes a token, and pods away Rhino into Archangel of Thune at 2 life. Next turn I swing in with my 7/2 Trampler, he double blocks and we call a judge over to double check that the token would not survive the encounter if the Geist had been a 6/1 instead. I'm left with an empty board thanks to the three lands in a row and he topdecks Eternal Witness to bring back Archangel of Thune. Over the next few turns I draw a couple of lands and an Aspect of Hydra while his board turns into a sweet pile of value and he cracks in for a million. Game 3 I keep a hand of Dryad Militant, 2 Strangleroot Geist, Gut Shot, and 3 Forest and he mulls to 6. I Gut Shotted his t1 bird and proceeded to draw another Strangeroot Geist while he struggled on mana and removal.

I'm pretty happy with how well this deck ended up playing out, it's much better in the sweeper light meta we've got going on right now. Gut Shot was my favorite new addition to the deck, there's so few matchups that I'm sad to see one in my opening hand and Dismember is substantially worse with all the Remands running around lately. Dungrove Elder was also a new addition and I didn't end up missing the Treetop Villages as much as I thought I would in exchange for Elder always being a 3/3 or better and never having a land come in tapped. For next time I'm dropping an Aspect of Hydra for either a fourth Scavenging Ooze or third Dungrove Elder. I may also drop the Bow of Nylea, it's always hilariously good when it sticks, especially against Delver, but I'm hesitant to run it as more than a one of because seeing two in a game is miserable even if it means I saw it zero times in the 12 games I played yesterday. I'm also unenthused about having 22 lands in the deck; I know it's probably mathematically correct to have 22 in there if I want to reliably cast Thrun but it seems like I run into too much land more often than not. I should probably start keeping track if I want to seriously consider cutting down, but I'd say 50% of the time I end up with too much land, 40% of the time it's fine, and 10% of the time I get stuck on 1-3 lands. As far as the sideboard is concerned, I'm thinking of cutting Creeping Corrosion for another Wheel of Sun and Moon, there's only one regular Affinity player here and the matchup seems close enough to where the person who plays the tightest will probably win more often. I'm also on the fence about dropping Unravel/Deglamer for 2 more Oxidize, there are a few Bogles/aura hexproof decks running around that I've got limited game against that makes me want to keep something for enchantments in the board, but I'm not a big fan of Nature's Claim giving my opponent an extra turn or two and artifact hate is much more relevant locally. I've considered Gleeful Sabotage for the potential 2 for 1, but sorcery speed and tapping down my dudes doesn't seem like what I want to be doing. I'd also like to work a Sword of Fire and Ice in there somewhere, it's very slow but seems better with more hexproof guys, gives me marginally better mid to late game, and I'm unlikely to see artifact hate since it's my only artifact they'd ever see.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

still can't decide between miracles, ant, and D&T for GPNJ. I was thinking it was time to dust off ant again but some jerk had a high profile showing of it last weekend.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

My favorite deck for legacy is MUD Welder always

You are extremely cool. One guy here plays it and he too is cool

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chill la Chill posted:

still can't decide between miracles, ant, and D&T for GPNJ. I was thinking it was time to dust off ant again but some jerk had a high profile showing of it last weekend.

Do D&T with Containment Priest

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Remember to activate your Vial with the Priest out. Every time. Tilt your opponents so hard.

Welp. Apparently Zoo is splashing Treasure Cruise now. This isn't a format I want to live in.

Also, Zoo is still really bad.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 5, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Eh I doubt people will have them for trade and I never buy cards nowadays. It's more for my friend who is amazing with it. He can buy the priests if he wants to come.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Super Sick Tech: KHEEER RIiidge...? Nice meta deck, idiot.

The Angers got another Soul Sister and a 2nd Pridemate. I'm fine with that. :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lost G1 to 12 Post after he had no cards in hand and i had a Goyf and a Deathrite in play and 2 Bolts in hand. Then game 2 I Sieze him T1 and see show and tell, show and tell. 2 eldrazi and 3 lands. T2 I hymm him and it misses the second show and tell.... If I'm playing Jund I pretty much just lose to this deck, right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

^Geth's Verdict & Diabolic Edict?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Chill la Chill posted:

Well if that guy is around and wants to tell me what he thinks about Myr Battlesphere I'd be all ears

Also what kind of sideboard technology he's using because I'm on Chalices, Relic of Progenitus, Chaos Warps, singleton Time Sifter (lol), Phyrexian Revoker, 2 Additional Blood Moons to make the full 4, Steel Hellkite, Cavern of Souls

Big Anime Fan Here fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 9, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

^Geth's Verdict & Diabolic Edict?

I play Edict. Just couldn't draw it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Lost G1 to 12 Post after he had no cards in hand and i had a Goyf and a Deathrite in play and 2 Bolts in hand. Then game 2 I Sieze him T1 and see show and tell, show and tell. 2 eldrazi and 3 lands. T2 I hymm him and it misses the second show and tell.... If I'm playing Jund I pretty much just lose to this deck, right?

There are ways to win, you either stick Lilly turn 2 or hymn and thoughtseize the hell out of him. The other tech is confusion in the ranks but it doesn't work perfectly. Usually I will sideboard out my lightning bolts and fires and put in duress and CitR. The more hand disruption the better.

You can also board in surgical extraction, thoughtseize the show and tell and extract the poo poo out of it then rely on wasteland and Lilly to keep them down.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I'm pretty sure that for modern I'm just gonna play bogles until treasure cruise gets banned, and the. It's back to infect for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Split the Top 4 of Legacy this weekend (local event) and won my 2nd Dark Confidant; hooray.

Played a new (to me) take on BUG Delver with no hand disruption, and 4 Stifles 4 Treasure Cruises. It was awesome; I don't know why I ever took a break from BUG.

Crushed MUD despite attempting to Wasteland a Darksteel Citadel. "I'm just filling up my graveyard to Cruise!" Had to Force his Trinispheres, but he took a lot of damage off Ancient Tombs to not mount enough of a defense to stop a Delver.

Beat Miracles handily, with Stifle as MVP. I had a turn 1 Deathrite, he played a fetch and passed, I passed back, he played a second fetch, attempted to crack, I stifled, he attempted to crack the second in response, I exiled a land with Deathrite and stifled again. He never recovered.

Burn looked scary, but Goyfs race it very easily, and after boarding in Disfigures my Deathrite was on eat-goblins-and-swiftspears duty, and gained me a bunch of life.

IDs got me through the cut, and my one loss was to UR Delver. I did get to eat a Swiftspear and Lighting Bolt while saving my Goyf by Stifling the Prowess trigger; that was fun. He just had more Cruises than me, and drew Blood Moons in games 2 and 3. :(

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread