Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

I just explained this whole sequence of events - post your missed connection, Saskatoon, flat flat flat - to my GF and she had 2 responses:
1. We can host some Dorkroomers, but the pay will be in meals cooked from recipes in the Julia Child cookbook (butter! more butter! seriously, good stuff).
2. "I gotta get a membership"

EDIT: How many of the non-Canagoons even know where Saskatoon is? For that matter, how many of you Eastern Bastards (may you ever freeze in the dark) know where 'Stoon is?

I've been to Snypekatoon so don't even attempt to tell me it doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And I've been to the horrible, horrible hell that is Hamilton. At least here on the prairies we can blame the climate and weather for our troubles (I will not be defending the blandy mcblandness of the average Saskatchewan-born's tastes); in Hamilton it always comes down to the you-can-use-it-to-develop-film quality of the water in Lake Onterrible.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

I just explained this whole sequence of events - post your missed connection, Saskatoon, flat flat flat - to my GF and she had 2 responses:
1. We can host some Dorkroomers, but the pay will be in meals cooked from recipes in the Julia Child cookbook (butter! more butter! seriously, good stuff).
2. "I gotta get a membership"

EDIT: How many of the non-Canagoons even know where Saskatoon is? For that matter, how many of you Eastern Bastards (may you ever freeze in the dark) know where 'Stoon is?

How long is this offer good for? Because in a few years, I wanna visit Tisdale, SK and I'd cook you dinners for lodging! :q:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The answer is conditional on your response to this question: Is the reason you want to visit Tisdale the fact that its motto is "The Land of Rape and Honey"?

This question comes from my GF, who just now tried and failed to get an account - something wrong with the credit card system I guess.

Not that your response *really* matters, because the motto of the whole drat (flat) province used to be "The Land of Rape and Honey". Seriously, I've been through Tisdale, it's right there on the sign at the edge of town.

To partly answer your question: we'll be here for at least the next 6 months, possibly a year or two longer. Long-term plans are not something I can do. But if we're still here, yes, absolutely a fellow X-700 lovin' fool can crash on our (surprisingly comfortable) couch.

EDIT: I'm reading the wiki entry for Tisdale and it mentions the shootout just outside of town in 1920. I stopped at that "Point of Interest" on a Sunday Drive a few years ago. Most "Point of Interest" highway markers here boil down to "There was a school here", but the one just outside Tisdale is bad-rear end. Setting fire to the hay-bale a train-robber was hiding inside is part of the story.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 28, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

This question comes from my GF, who just now tried and failed to get an account - something wrong with the credit card system I guess.

If she gets an account just for this I'll give her a Piss Christ av if she wants.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Saskatoon sounds like something a Bigfoot would spit into

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Let's compromise and have Dorkcon2015 at a legion hall in Moose Jaw.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

a legion hall in Moose Jaw.

leave your mother out of this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does Moose Jaw have any of:

a) Mountains
b) Docks on the water
c) Benches
d) Trees
e) Urban decay
f) Bugs

Otherwise when people show up they won't have anything to take pictures of.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

xzzy posted:

a) Mountains
b) Docks on the water
c) Benches
d) Trees
e) Urban decay
f) Bugs

you forgot homeless and tits

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

you forgot homeless and tits

Every place has those.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

a) Mountains
b) Docks on the water
c) Benches
d) Trees
e) Urban decay
f) Bugs

a) No. Hilariously no.
b) Probably. There's a small river running through town, somebody probably ties a rowboat to a dock on it every once in a while.
c) Yes. Of course!
d) Yes. Surprisingly, because this is southern Saskatchewan we're talking about, where trees are notable by their general absence.
e) Only a little in-town, but Saskatchewan includes many, many ghost towns abandonded in the 1970's and 1980's. Plus Rural Decay in the form of abandoned farmhouses and old granaries and other agricultural facilities since taken over by corporate Ag.
f) In the summer, the mosquitoes will carry you away and dessicate your corpse if you're not careful.

Relatively few homeless, in this province most homeless people either die of exposure in winter, move to Victoria, or get jobs in uranium mines in the north.

The Legion Hall has a mural on the side, would that attract any Dorkroom goons?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork posted:

The Legion Hall has a mural on the side, would that attract any Dorkroom goons?

I bet they have a meat draw as well.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Dread Head posted:

dont know what that is but im in

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Whitezombi posted:

You guys don't have this? Most legion halls here do a raffle with a prize of like thirty pounds of various good quality meats.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

CreppyMonkey posted:

You guys don't have this? Most legion halls here do a raffle with a prize of like thirty pounds of various good quality meats.

I don't think so. Mostly legion halls here are filled with old dudes chugging $1 8oz draughts of Old Milwaukee.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

CreppyMonkey posted:

nah we just go to the grocery store and buy meat

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Whitezombi posted:

nah we just go to the grocery store and buy meat

how bourgeois

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Lots of footy/cricket/bowls clubs get into it too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_raffle

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That was a real encounter. I was walking back to my car and for whatever reason felt compelled to comment on the dog. I wish you had said something. It's funny that you remember what I look like. If you are still in town, say hello, and I'll buy you a drink.

Was just in town briefly with family to visit my sister. I'll be passing back through and spending Saturday night, but probably too late to hang out :saddowns:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dread Head posted:

They probably have a Steak Pit one day of the week (most likely Saturday). More-or-less what it sounds like.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

want to win me a tray of meat that has been sitting in a room full of drunk people at room temperature for 8 hours

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

want to win me a tray of meat that has been sitting in a room full of drunk people at room temperature for 8 hours

Text me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw Nightcrawler today, swap the video cameras for DSLR's and it's basically a Dorkroom biography.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

Saw Nightcrawler today, swap the video cameras for DSLR's and it's basically a Dorkroom biography.

So which of us looks like Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, or Bill Paxton?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

spog posted:

So which of us looks like Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, or Bill Paxton?

Bill Paxton is in it?
Off to the movies I go!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

i look like Rene Russo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

We are all Jake Gyllenhaal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

soundmonkey

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
shortbus

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poo poo yeah that's way better

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

The answer is conditional on your response to this question: Is the reason you want to visit Tisdale the fact that its motto is "The Land of Rape and Honey"?

Not that your response *really* matters, because the motto of the whole drat (flat) province used to be "The Land of Rape and Honey". Seriously, I've been through Tisdale, it's right there on the sign at the edge of town.

To partly answer your question: we'll be here for at least the next 6 months, possibly a year or two longer. Long-term plans are not something I can do. But if we're still here, yes, absolutely a fellow X-700 lovin' fool can crash on our (surprisingly comfortable) couch.

EDIT: I'm reading the wiki entry for Tisdale and it mentions the shootout just outside of town in 1920. I stopped at that "Point of Interest" on a Sunday Drive a few years ago. Most "Point of Interest" highway markers here boil down to "There was a school here", but the one just outside Tisdale is bad-rear end. Setting fire to the hay-bale a train-robber was hiding inside is part of the story.

Sorry, I forgot all about my post. I want to visit Tisdale because it's my last name. And it's the land of rape and honey. I'd most likely have a wife and kid in tow so I'd find a hotel room anyway, but I'd still totally cook you some Southern cookings.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
If any of you come to melbourne, australia you can stay in my house. I'm like 45minute from the CBD by tram, which is pretty close. Also I'm a nurse as of two hours ago so I can look at your haemorrhoids and poo poo. Let me know!

EDIT: I don't want to look at your haemorrhoids unless they're epic. Thanks

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the dorkroom will have its very own goatse :3:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
eagerly awaiting the first pictures of someone's houseguest sleeping

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

pseudonordic posted:

Sorry, I forgot all about my post. I want to visit Tisdale because it's my last name. And it's the land of rape and honey. I'd most likely have a wife and kid in tow so I'd find a hotel room anyway, but I'd still totally cook you some Southern cookings.
This sounds excellent. Many amusing pictures to be taken! Don't come in February unless you want your family to hate you and/or die of exposure. Actually, that applies to any time between December 1 and May 1. And the shoulders - November and May - are not generally very pretty, either.

This is from the nearby town of Star City (a sad, sad lying shadow of its namesake in Kazakhstan) in March. Don't come in March unless you really, really like frostbite.
SD 050 Star City by Execudork, on Flickr

July. Come in July, you can laugh at us Saskatcheweeners when we complain about the heat, and we can laugh at your puzzlement over the sunset happening at 9:30pm.
This is pretty representative of Saskatchewan in late June. It's a bit drier in July and August.
SD 063 23 Highway 14 by Execudork, on Flickr

Helmacron posted:

If any of you come to melbourne, australia you can stay in my house. I'm like 45minute from the CBD by tram, which is pretty close. Also I'm a nurse as of two hours ago so I can look at your haemorrhoids and poo poo. Let me know!

EDIT: I don't want to look at your haemorrhoids unless they're epic. Thanks
I have no haemorrhoids. Can I still come to visit if / when I get to Melbourne?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Don't worry, I'm sure that after your 20 hour flight and 45 minute tram ride you'll have something to show him.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

xzzy posted:

a) Mountains
b) Docks on the water
c) Benches
d) Trees
e) Urban decay
f) Bugs

Here's a random Flickr guy who does Sask/Alberta prairie photography and is not terrible: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bonedad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Oh and if you want to visit Calgary you have like 5 dorkroomers to choose from! It's the Portland of the North*

*not really at all