Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel is The Godfather of superhero movies.

I agree with this, and I really don't understand why so many other people do not agree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I have thought of one plausible motivation for Jonathan Kent where he's not a huge dumbass: He was taking what he thought was a reasonable risk to save the dog and protect his son from a tornado.

I don't remember the exact timeline but this works as long as Jonathan doesn't know just how powerful Clark is. If I remember he knows that Clark can tow a school bus, is pretty knife resistant, really fast, and doesn't get hurt when bullies punch him, but you could say the same about a good size truck, and that would get wrecked in a tornado. I don't remember any scenes where they found out he's bulletproof, or could throw the truck a mile one handed. At that point it's at least plausible that he doesn't want to risk Clark being physically hurt.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I agree with this, and I really don't understand why so many other people do not agree with it.

Same.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

'Cause The Godfather is a great movie!

(what a lovely way to anser this comment haha!).

Superman is my favorite character and I am BUMMED out by MoS but I'm glad it works for other people. I'm curious to see the beginning
of other DC characters in Batman Guest-Starring Superman.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I have thought of one plausible motivation for Jonathan Kent where he's not a huge dumbass: He was taking what he thought was a reasonable risk to save the dog and protect his son from a tornado.

I don't remember the exact timeline but this works as long as Jonathan doesn't know just how powerful Clark is. If I remember he knows that Clark can tow a school bus, is pretty knife resistant, really fast, and doesn't get hurt when bullies punch him, but you could say the same about a good size truck, and that would get wrecked in a tornado. I don't remember any scenes where they found out he's bulletproof, or could throw the truck a mile one handed. At that point it's at least plausible that he doesn't want to risk Clark being physically hurt.

Yeah, I think this works. Pa isn't sure enough that Clark will be alright, so Pa's actions make sense. Clark thinks he should trust Pa totally, so Clark's actions also make sense at the time.

Both of their decisions were in fact wrong, but only on hindsight. They were acting with imperfect information at the time.

I, then, like the reading that Clark then learns a lesson about trusting humans' suggestions implicitly, as someone else suggested.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Superman: The Movie is actually the Godfather of superhero movies, and has the Mario Puzo screenplay credit to back it up (plus Marlon Brando as a character who is both God and a father).

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 8, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

That's kind of what I expected after seeing the previews. Good to know it's a safe skip.

On reflection, I will say that one thing Big Hero 6 does better than any other superhero movie is push the moral that revenge isn't the answer without making it seem contrived and cheesy.

There's a scene relating to it that I absolutely love and really redeems the movie. Early on, when Hiro meets Baymax for the first time, he cracks a joke that he looks like a giant marshmallow and then says, "No offense." Baymax dryly explains that as a robot, he cannot be offended.

Then at the end of the second act, Hiro does some dark stuff to Baymax's programming and when it gets undone, Baymax is indeed offended and feels betrayed. He doesn't outright say it and his voice is just as robotic as it ever was, but between reading between the lines and looking at his behavior, you can tell that he is furious at Hiro for what he did to him. It's just really well put together.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, Big Hero 6 was worth it just for the Hiro/Baymax relationship. It was really heartwarming. I don't think it's worth skipping. Not as good as, say, Wreck-It Ralph, but still great. At the very least go see it for the short, "Feast!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, Big Hero 6 was worth it just for the Hiro/Baymax relationship. It was really heartwarming. I don't think it's worth skipping. Not as good as, say, Wreck-It Ralph, but still great. At the very least go see it for the short, "Feast!"

"Feast!" was a letdown in the sense that it had nothing to do with a viking, pilgrim, Hawaiian dancer, Julius Caesar and Henry VIII going on a Snickers-based road trip together.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not gonna lie, the "Hairy baby!" line in the BH6 trailer cracks me the gently caress up, and now I call my cat a hairy baby. Is the scene still funny in the full movie?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

There's more to helping people than making them not-dead.

Just as there's additionally more to Clark's powers than just using them to save people from death.

If Jonathan makes such a big deal about Clark not using his powers openly and there is more to helping people than making them not-dead, why is Clark more useful than an older, more experienced and more mature Jon at the underpass during and after the tornado?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not gonna lie, the "Hairy baby!" line in the BH6 trailer cracks me the gently caress up, and now I call my cat a hairy baby. Is the scene still funny in the full movie?

Yes! That whole bit was pretty legit.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Xenomrph posted:

I always found it odd that the laugh lines shown in comedy movie trailers always get the biggest laughs from the audience, even compared to funnier bits in the same film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

If Jonathan makes such a big deal about Clark not using his powers openly and there is more to helping people than making them not-dead, why is Clark more useful than an older, more experienced and more mature Jon at the underpass during and after the tornado?

Kent wants to ensure his wife and child are safe before heading out to get the dog, because he loves them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But I think he loves that dog more.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its too bad Clark freaked out and ran away during class as a kid because of superhearing, the teacher was just about to give a lesson on how it is theorized that you can stop a tornado by running around it in reverse really fast.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe if Clark read a bit more comic books and a little less ancient Greek philosophy, he'd known what to do.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JediTalentAgent posted:

But I think he loves that dog more.

Every man loves his dog more than his wife and child. That dog didn't cost them all their dreams and ambitions.

Pa Kent coulda been someone, goddammit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pa Kent realized the dog was a better dad than he was.

"Should I have let all those people die?"

"Woof!"

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Best post/avatar ever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Kevin Costner is a dumb actor. The Postman sucked!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NienNunb posted:

Counterpoint: Kevin Costner is a great actor, Waterworld ruled.

Costner chat: For some reason he was at the opening of a German furniture store as a celebrity guest. The press, such as there was, asked him what the hell he was doing there, since that is such a low-profile thing to show up to for an award-winning American actor. He got really mad and told the reporter that if you think you're above such a thing you should get out of the business. It was kind of classy, but ruined by the way you could tell that Costner was thinking "I'm going to kill my agent for getting me here!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Edit: ^^ This guy knows what's up.

NienNunb posted:

I will fight anybody who dares speak ill of Waterworld. :colbert:

I hope Big Hero 6 does well enough that Disney makes more obscure Marvel movies. Yeah, we have the MCU, but where would the Power Pack fit in? Pet Avengers? Skrull Kill Krew? Squirrel Girl?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

NienNunb posted:

gently caress you, and gently caress this thread

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Counterpoint: Kevin Costner is a great actor, Waterworld ruled.

Costner chat: For some reason he was at the opening of a German furniture store as a celebrity guest. The press, such as there was, asked him what the hell he was doing there, since that is such a low-profile thing to show up to for an award-winning American actor. He got really mad and told the reporter that if you think you're above such a thing you should get out of the business. It was kind of classy, but ruined by the way you could tell that Costner was thinking "I'm going to kill my agent for getting me here!"

By Grabthar's hammer...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was Water world such a huge flop because for some reason the media decided the one aspect of the movie they would talk about was Kevin Costner drinks his own piss?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's mostly because it was a dumb loving movie with a ridiculous premise and mediocre acting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel is The Godfather of superhero movies.

I agree in the sense that Clark Kent is portrayed as a spineless rear end in a top hat who does nothing but what is asked/expected of him and gradually becomes a murderer drunk with power.

I disagree in the sense that The Godfather is a really good movie and Man of Steel is all ham-handed messianic imagery and overblown CGI.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

Was Water world such a huge flop because for some reason the media decided the one aspect of the movie they would talk about was Kevin Costner drinks his own piss?

I think the production cost really inflated due to poor planning and actor shenanigans and the movie itself is just not good enough to be a hit. If you take its reputation away and just look at the story and cinematography, you are left with a pretty forgettable scifi adventure movie that actually hit theaters a couple of years too late. Even if it didn't bomb, I doubt it would be in the publics mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterworld actually didn't lose any money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Waterworld actually didn't lose any money.

True. Eventually. It made a loss on domestic release but the studio recouped their costs via foreign box office and ancillary markets (video and cable sales, etc) and even turned a small profit on the whole deal. This Deadline article has a nice breakdown if anyone is interested in the numbers.
It still sounds like it was a complete nightmare for everyone involved in the production.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I hope Big Hero 6 does well enough that Disney makes more obscure Marvel movies. Yeah, we have the MCU, but where would the Power Pack fit in? Pet Avengers? Skrull Kill Krew? Squirrel Girl?

I hope all these can come together and Marvel generates an entire separate cinematic universe based around animated features.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
My hope is still that someone will take the current comic craze, remembers the success of the leaked Global Frequency pilot, and makes a HBO Planetary series.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

They also spent a ton of money making it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

e X posted:

My hope is still that someone will take the current comic craze, remembers the success of the leaked Global Frequency pilot, and makes a HBO Planetary series.

Gosh, Planetary would be brutally expensive to film. Every single episode is in a completely different style, on a completely different set of locations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

qntm posted:

Gosh, Planetary would be brutally expensive to film. Every single episode is in a completely different style, on a completely different set of locations.

Wasn't a problem for Star Trek and Stargate.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

qntm posted:

Eh, Game of Thrones is filmed all over the western hemisphere. And I am pretty sure that any half decent writer/director could turn Planetary into an absolute critical darling. The series is basically a critical analyses of the primary source of pop culture of the last decade, if you can't wring out an Emmy nomination of that you seriously failed your profession.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think it would be a fun and interesting to work on, but changing styles can be risky for a show.
It probably wouldn't be that expensive to do unless they insist on wildly different outdoor scenes. The powers the crew has are relatively cheap.

E ^ game of thrones is expensive, but it's popular enough to be worth it

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

I agree in the sense that Clark Kent is portrayed as a spineless rear end in a top hat who does nothing but what is asked/expected of him and gradually becomes a murderer drunk with power.

I disagree in the sense that The Godfather is a really good movie and Man of Steel is all ham-handed messianic imagery and overblown CGI.

It must be terrible to want to hate a movie so much that your interpretation of the movie reads this dumb. Seriously, so dumb. For real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qntm posted:

I think a bigger problem would be how the villains for the series are just a renamed and evil Fantastic Four.

• Locked thread