Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

I don't know anything about programming. Isn't it at all possible to reverse engineer it from a game copy?

The problem with working with a game copy instead of the source code is: Working programs are actually machine-language translations made by a compiler from the programming language the source code was written in. (I'm vastly simplifying things here.) So if you only have the game copy, you could either try to look at the machine code inside to try and find out what it does, or you could try to use a compiler (or interpreter if you want to line for line, testing the code live etc.) to re-translate it back to a high level programming language for easier access.

Now you do know what happens when you translate something between two human languages back- and forth? Well, in this case some incredibly literal translators translate entire books worth of writing into another language, then later back again. Not neccessarily to the same language even, if the reverse engineers couldn't find out in which language the program was written in the first place. So either you have a hard-to-read lump of machine code, or a mess of a translation. Both of which come without any of the annotations the program was written in. (At this point my knowledge takes a nose dive, though. Can a programmer tell us if comments and the like can be translated into machine language by a compiler, or is it, like I assume, lost?)

So like I said, most likely case is everything the original programmers may have commented into the text ("this part does this" "this is just for shits and giggles, please ignore") is lost, making decyphering the code even harder.

In conclusion, reverse engineering a program is really loving hard.

Raygereio posted:

With the source assets gone, the only way to create higher-res textures would be to make them from scratch. You could rip the textures from the retail copy and blow those up to a higher resolution. But then all you would have succeeded in doing is make the original, tiny & blurry texture into a bigger & more blurry one.
As for removing the DRM, adapting the game to run properly on modern hardware, moving the multiplayer away from Sierra's defunct servers, etc. Without the source code the only option would be to grab the retail version's executable, attempt to decompile it and see if you reverse-engineer the code. However decompiling an executable doesn't get you nice, clean code a human could work with. Completely developing Cataclysm again from the ground up would be probably be quicker and easier.
In short: It would require more time & resources then Gearbox is likely willing to spend on the rerelease.

Honestly at this point the best we can hope for Cataclysm is a digital rerelease of the retail copy with a cracked executable and maybe improved sound & music.

This is practically what I wrote, just more concise. Which is why he could post it first, of course. gently caress. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Libluini posted:

Both of which come without any of the annotations the program was written in. (At this point my knowledge takes a nose dive, though. Can a programmer tell us if comments and the like can be translated into machine language by a compiler, or is it, like I assume, lost?)
Yeah, for C and C++ in general everything that makes code human-readable is stripped out in the compilation process.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

Which settles the question, at least as far as HL2 is concerned. Unlike HL1's subtlety and Cata's pulpy, unnerving mood, HL2 opted for conventionality. It worked for me, I loved the game as a teen and like it to this day, but it lost a lot of the atmosphere of the first two games. It probably sounds completely inane, but having Karan's face on the front of the box like that, for someone who had played 1 and Cata, felt really out of place.

Some of the cutscenes in HW2 suggest that the bad guy is human (or very close to it) as well. This opens the possibility that everyone actually belongs to the same species and the divisions between them come down to politics and culture. At least, this would explain how they managed to interrogate the captain of the first enemy ship they captured.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

murphyslaw posted:

It probably sounds completely inane, but having Karan's face on the front of the box like that, for someone who had played 1 and Cata, felt really out of place.
Back when the HW2 box art was first announced the community actually organized a competition to design better box art. Because let's face it, the real one is poo poo. And thanks to the magic of the internet, you can see some of the entries in the competition here!

Martian fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 2, 2014

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Martian posted:

Back when the HW2 box art was first announced the community actually organized a competition to design better box art. Because let's face it, the real one is poo poo. And thanks to the magic of the internet, you can see some of the entries in the competition here!

Was so hyped for hw2 until I saw the box art, just looking at it and thinking wtf this is some halfass bullshit. It is still one of the worst looking covers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A lot of ports of older games are actually just the original game wrapped up in a shiny emulator. If they're feeling ambitious they'll figure out how to hook into the renderers and upscale it into a resolution that doesn't look like rear end on modern monitors.

Occasionally you have something like Kingdom Hearts 1.5 where their answer to the question "We lost all our art assets, what do we do?" was "Remake everything from the ground up"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dalael posted:

I don't know anything about programming. Isn't it at all possible to reverse engineer it from a game copy?

It would effectively be like writing it from scratch.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Homeworld 1 runs ok on modern machines so I expect Cataclysm to do the same since it's the same engine. Also, how the gently caress do game developers lose source codes? You'd think they back that poo poo up somewhere. :psyduck:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Starhawk64 posted:

Homeworld 1 runs ok on modern machines so I expect Cataclysm to do the same since it's the same engine. Also, how the gently caress do game developers lose source codes? :psyduck:

They do it by being entirely different developers who are hated by the people who did both the previous and future development on the series.

Also, this was before cloud storage was a common thing.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Couldn't you just recreate Cataclysm in the Homeworld 1 engine? I don't remember much about Cataclysm so I don't know how much was different about it.

On other news, I've recently reinstalled H1 thanks to this thread. The game looks beautiful with all the graphic options enabled through command line parameters in the executable. And it's as hard as I remember. Specially since the battle are frantic, and once you've gotten the dogfight over there under control, a bunch of Ion Frigates have snuck upon your Mothership (and all the defenseless ships that were orbiting it are now debris). Also, the AI really hates Salvage Corvettes, I'm almost considering not going the salvaging route for how tedious it is micromanaging them and how frustrating it is to lose them all the time and having to rebuild them.

PS: Taiidan fleet > Kushan fleet

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Markovnikov posted:

Couldn't you just recreate Cataclysm in the Homeworld 1 engine? I don't remember much about Cataclysm so I don't know how much was different about it.
PS: Taiidan fleet > Kushan fleet
Well, two completely new factions, couple completely new mechanics, an entire different storyline's worth of missions... It's a standalone game on the HW engine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

None of the old ships kept their special abilities though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The basic engine is the same, and since they are possibly redoing that for the HW1 release along with implementing the additional QoL features from Cataclysm (selecting units in sensor view, time compression), it might make sense to just redo the cataclysm specific units in HD and rescript the campaign as it laid out in the original. Probably not something that will get done along with the HW1 release, but not requiring a complete stand-alone effort either.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's a well-known marketing theory that faces on boxes sell. Homeworld only really has one face; hence Dreadlock S'jet up there.

I imagine if the Homeworld re-release sells bucketloads, Gearbox will put more effort into tracking down Cataclysm.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Incidentally, berryjon, why aren't you using the advanced graphics options? They give better textures and some improved effects on things like engine trails.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I tired, but there were issues with my video cards and the recording software. After looking at things, I judged this the best compromise, and left it as is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

I tired, but there were issues with my video cards and the recording software. After looking at things, I judged this the best compromise, and left it as is.

Have you tried making a link to the .exe-file and adding dsound /heap 1073741824 /enableSSE /forceSSE under "target"? I forgot why exactly, but it works for Cataclysm and since Homeworld 1 works on essentially the same engine, it should work too. (And if it doesn't, you just delete the extra crap and nothing is lost.)

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013
Can we get a slightly higher-res capture, by any chance? It'd be nice to be able to read the text and such a bit easier.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Starhawk64 posted:

Homeworld 1 runs ok on modern machines so I expect Cataclysm to do the same since it's the same engine. Also, how the gently caress do game developers lose source codes? You'd think they back that poo poo up somewhere. :psyduck:

Because depending on the language, there's a very large difference between the size of your completed code base and the size of your final program. Especially if you start pruning extraneous libraries. It used to be that unless what you were making was super important you reclaimed that storage space once it went past End of Life, which was probably sometime around when Cataclysm released. Or the backups could have been lost, or misplaced, or destroyed by fire. There's lots of reasons why it could have happened.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

Have you tried making a link to the .exe-file and adding dsound /heap 1073741824 /enableSSE /forceSSE under "target"? I forgot why exactly, but it works for Cataclysm and since Homeworld 1 works on essentially the same engine, it should work too. (And if it doesn't, you just delete the extra crap and nothing is lost.)

No, and why would I want to?

macdjord posted:

Can we get a slightly higher-res capture, by any chance? It'd be nice to be able to read the text and such a bit easier.

I've tried on higher resolutions (the next size up is 1024x768, 16 bit_), but that makes the video size bloated, in addition to occasional stuttering in the gameplay when in conjunction with my recording software.

HW plays nice by itself, and I can run it all the way to 1280x800, 32bit if I was just enjoying it at home, but for the LP, I need to drop down the resolution.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just finished the final mission, man what a game, I don't think I've been so emotionally impacted by a video game before. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the rest of the missions without abusing the salvettes, like I did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

No, and why would I want to?

To avoid this, for example:

quote:

I've tried on higher resolutions (the next size up is 1024x768, 16 bit_), but that makes the video size bloated, in addition to occasional stuttering in the gameplay when in conjunction with my recording software.

HW plays nice by itself, and I can run it all the way to 1280x800, 32bit if I was just enjoying it at home, but for the LP, I need to drop down the resolution.

I've had similar problems in my first videos, then I found the solution I described above, now my videos are looking astonishingly good for a 14-year-old game. (Still boring as hell, but that's my fault. :v:)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If OpenGL rendering works for you it should produce a lovely portal swirling effect in hyperspace, I think it might make engine trails and ion beams look better too.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Gearbox talked a bit about Homeworld Remastered at Pax Aus, including some screenshots and a few seconds of the new intro cinematic. They estimate it'll come out "in a few months", probably february. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91EQH6XqLbM

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

GhostBoy posted:

Gearbox talked a bit about Homeworld Remastered at Pax Aus, including some screenshots and a few seconds of the new intro cinematic. They estimate it'll come out "in a few months", probably february. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91EQH6XqLbM

I was just about post this. I'm looking forward to it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I've had several interviews this week guys, so I may have to delay the update until Saturday.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

GhostBoy posted:

This is basicly the same stuff they showed a few months ago.. Was hoping to see some in game footage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crash74 posted:

This is basicly the same stuff they showed a few months ago.. Was hoping to see some in game footage.

They did show the cutscenes before but they hadn't ever shown any screenshots. It's still not really anything though, with how doctored screenshots are these days.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Today's mission is the other half of the Kadesh interlude. We are officially over halfway through the missions of this campaign.

Also, not a lot of commentary, because there really isn't much to say.

That Ship gets a closeup at about 11:25.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

You skipped some dialogue between Fleet Command and the Kadeshi Ambassador after the mission starts.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

berryjon posted:

Today's mission is the other half of the Kadesh interlude. We are officially over halfway through the missions of this campaign.

Also, not a lot of commentary, because there really isn't much to say.

That Ship gets a closeup at about 11:25.

The mothership is green, what kind of Kadesh wizardry is this?

Also, [url=http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kadeshi}This suggests[/url] that the Kadeshii are Hiigarans who got stranded there during the Exile, then developed a culture and a religion around living in the Great Garden - quite different than what the honorable LPer suggests

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 9, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
God I miss this game so much. Thanks for the videos. I haven't seen this in such a long time.

I can't wait to redo the campaign in the remastered edition. Right after that, multiplayer. Now that is going to be a blast.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

JcDent posted:

Also, This suggests that the Kadeshii are Hiigarans who got stranded there during the Exile, then developed a culture and a religion around living in the Great Garden - quite different than what the honorable LPer suggests

In fact the game explicitly says so at the end of this update... And actually - if you ask me - the fact that they managed to accomplish this with only the broken prison ship they were on only adds to the theory voiced earlier in the thread that Hiigarans simply are scary rear end dangerous motherfuckers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also you messed up your tags a bit. Inside the spoilers, but still.

Roman Reigns posted:

You skipped some dialogue between Fleet Command and the Kadeshi Ambassador after the mission starts.

More Fleet Command stopped talking to them to tell us what was happening

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 9, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Watching the Multi-Beams do their thing is a glorious sight to behold. It's too bad the Kadeshi were too fanatic to let us leave in peace. They turned out to be our cousins, and we flat out murdered them. This game runs on tragedy I tell ya. :smith:

Any reason you're not using support frigates? You'll lose less ships if you had some. Repair corvettes pale in comparison. Also, did the Kushan find some green paint lying around inside the Mothership, because it looks like the fleet got a new paint job. :raise:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

Watching the Multi-Beams do their thing is a glorious sight to behold. It's too bad the Kadeshi were too fanatic to let us leave in peace. They turned out to be our cousins, and we flat out murdered them. This game runs on tragedy I tell ya. :smith:

Any reason you're not using support frigates? You'll lose less ships if you had some. Repair corvettes pale in comparison. Also, did the Kushan find some green paint lying around inside the Mothership, because it looks like the fleet got a new paint job. :raise:

No Garden thumping cousin of mine is going to murder me. Besides, if videogame storytelling has taught me anything is that it's okay to destroy zealots as long as they aren't your zealots.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
A recently leaked dev doc showed their initial concept of the multi-beam frigate.

Sadly, this concept was too...organic in nature and did not mesh well with the Kharakian design of simplicity and robustness.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 9, 2014

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rick_Hunter posted:

A recently leaked dev doc showed their initial concept of the multi-beam frigate.

Sadly, this concept was too...organic in nature and did not mesh well with the Kharakian design of simplicity and robustness.

Speaking of which I really appreciate the game so far doesn't included something ridiculous like Tyranids or Zerg. I like both of them personally, but something like organic ships that somehow naturally generate internal pressure and an psychic hive link is something that I don't see fitting into a story about a bunch of scary refugees trying to find their way home.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Starhawk64 posted:

Probably close to the Frigate cap with all those multi-beam ships.

Also one thing I often do to reduce strike craft/salvager attrition is turn off auto-launch. Especially since I like bombers, having them launch in dribs and drabs is hazardous to their health.

Of course then the fucks dock with Support frigates, repair corvettes, and, worst, Resource collectors, which can't even REPAIR them. And it all goes...poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'll be phasing in a couple Support Frigates next mission. It's a nice breather and I can sort out my fleet composition a bit better than the specialized force to go through the Garden.

JcDent posted:

Also, This suggests that the Kadeshii are Hiigarans who got stranded there during the Exile, then developed a culture and a religion around living in the Great Garden - quite different than what the honorable LPer suggests

I said what I said knowing what the video was going to say - it was for the benefit of those who haven't played the game, or done their research.

• Locked thread