Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
"What? Mental Illness IS real! :cry: " haha, yeah loving right.

Look, there are kids in Africa starving right now, do you think they're 'depressed'?

No, they live with it. Cause that's what life is all about, sucking it up.

wah wah wah, I'm sad, wah wah wah, the internet is down, gently caress off and get a job.

I wonder what the founding fathers would say if they knew that Americans were so bored with their amazing lives they have to make up invisible head-problems to make themselves feel special.

Man up, get off Tumblr, and, gee, I dunno, try being a member of society?

loving losers these days I swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ground floor

soprofol
Nov 2, 2014
im a gay fag

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008
epic 'shops OP. can't wait to see what the peanut gallery has to say

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

It pleases me to see an opinion I've held for years validated by the meme form.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I think the op may have mental problems.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
it must suck a lot to be a clinically depressed ugandan teen

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
It says something about the state of things when people can't deal with being sad.

Depression is a code word for crybaby

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

fist4jesus posted:

I think the op may have mental problems.

Technically, nobody does

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Race Hate Kramer posted:

"What? Mental Illness IS real! :cry: " haha, yeah loving right.

Look, there are kids in Africa starving right now, do you think they're 'depressed'?

No, they live with it. Cause that's what life is all about, sucking it up.

wah wah wah, I'm sad, wah wah wah, the internet is down, gently caress off and get a job.

I wonder what the founding fathers would say if they knew that Americans were so bored with their amazing lives they have to make up invisible head-problems to make themselves feel special.

Man up, get off Tumblr, and, gee, I dunno, try being a member of society?

loving losers these days I swear to god

Your body thetans are making you say that.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
mental illness is the ultimate first-world problem. said it before, saying it again

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Trees and Squids posted:

it must suck a lot to be a clinically depressed ugandan teen

"Stop eating a grasshopper wrapped in a leaf all the time and try to get out the hut, Hakimbe!"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

the highest suicide rates are in shithole slavic countries, not the first world

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Let's go back to lobotomies. I hear it worked out great for that kennedy daughter

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Torka posted:

You were looking at what they charge to make it look like a suicide.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

ThisGuy posted:

Let's go back to lobotomies. I hear it worked out great for that kennedy daughter

Treating them was a bad step to begin with, they really shouldn't have anymore coddling.

But I do think they should bring back lobotomies. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a good film

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
or electro-shock

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Baba Ganoush posted:

Treating them was a bad step to begin with, they really shouldn't have anymore coddling.

But I do think they should bring back lobotomies. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a good film

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see what future neuroscience has to say about mental illness. I feel like we're all pigeons in a Skinner box pecking at the wrong things

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Gay Roads posted:

or electro-shock

they never stopped using this

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Gay Roads posted:

or electro-shock

Did you listen to that radiolab about using direct currents for learning and mental clarity? Interesting stuff

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Torka posted:

cool

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Torka posted:

That's just good common sense.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Depress my rear end in a top hat with your penis.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Torka posted:

frankly I think that's hilarious and epic

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Race Hate Kramer posted:

It actually works.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Race Hate Kramer posted:

it's rarer now but it actually works for severe treatment-resistant depression (for 4-6 months then it wears off and you have to do it again and also you have severe short term memory problems during the treatment which takes multiple sessions over a couple weeks)

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Torka posted:

it's rarer now but it actually works for severe treatment-resistant depression (for 4-6 months then it wears off and you have to do it again and also you have severe short term memory problems during the treatment which takes multiple sessions over a couple weeks)

Isn't that high voltage stuff though? The radio lab episode and the weirdo life hack people on reddit seem to think low voltage through specific regions of the brain do more with fewer side effects.

Bummer there hasn't been more research.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Weird how shocking your brain cures sad brains for awhile. You'd think it would mess up the hormone regulation in a bad way.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ThisGuy posted:

Isn't that high voltage stuff though? The radio lab episode and the weirdo life hack people on reddit seem to think low voltage through specific regions of the brain do more with fewer side effects.

Bummer there hasn't been more research.

that's DBS which is much much newer than ECT and unlikely to be what people here were thinking of when they brought up electric shock treatment

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I completely agree with the OP. srs.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Torka posted:

that's DBS which is much much newer than ECT and unlikely to be what people itt were thinking of when they brought up electric shock treatment

To be fair, that era of mental health treatment was hellish. It's emblematic of everything wrong with health care. Like scientific racism for your mind

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ThisGuy posted:

To be fair, that era of mental health treatment was hellish. It's emblematic of everything wrong with health care. Like scientific racism for your mind

ECT is a standard treatment that's still in fairly common use today, the idea that it's a discredited relic of the past like lobotomies is not correct

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
mental illness is all in your head

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
SSRI's own OP

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
how mentally ill you gotta be to get disability; like if you had really bad aspergers and crippling social anxiety would the gov't pay you to play WoW?

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Torka posted:

ECT is a standard treatment that's still in fairly common use today, the idea that it's a relic of the past like lobotomies is not correct

I'm just thinking of several cases dating back to the late 60's and 70's where electroshock therapy was used in a way not in the patients interests.

Should it be used to treat hysterics as well?

E: these dumb bitches want to vote and have rights again. Let's shock the poo poo out of them

ThisGuy fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 10, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Race Hate Kramer posted:

I dunno op they look p sad on tv. Doesnt seem like youve thought this through very well imo.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ThisGuy posted:

I'm just thinking of several cases dating back to the late 60's and 70's where electroshock therapy was used in a way not in the patients interests.

Should it be used to treat hysterics as well?

the two main differences between now and then is that now it's only used as a last resort after numerous medications and therapy etc. have failed to work over a long time period, and they put you under general anaesthetic before doing it so that you don't tear muscles or break bones

hysteria is not a diagnosis anymore, it's mainly used for major depression and obviously only with permission

Torka fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Torka posted:

the two main differences between now and then is that now it's only used as a last resort after numerous medications and therapy etc. have failed to work over a long time period, and they put you under general anaesthetic before doing it so that you don't tear muscles or break bones

Well it certainly sounds humane then. I'd like to see metaananlyic studies showing marked improvement in the workplace

E: Otherwise you'd be open for a medical malpractice suit.

ThisGuy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread