Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
For everyone wondering why MM3DS took four years to make, check out this thread over on NeoGAF for side-by-side comparison screens between the 3DS version and the N64. It basically looks like a whole new game, really. The Chateau Romani pictures are particularity striking. Majora's Mask was almost worth playing for the sheer spectacle alone and this is looking to be the definitive version. The soundtrack was also gorgeous and I really hope they keep it intact.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ChaosArgate posted:

The GBA stuff ran in a backassed compatibility mode that disabled everything except the system call to bring the system out of GBA mode

So Smash Bros.?

Got some questions on system transfers and SD cards and junk.

1. should I do a system transfer then swap SD cards?
2. do we know if there's an upper limit on the size of micro SDs for the New 3DS?
3. any particular brands I should be wary of?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Seagull posted:

So Smash Bros.?

Got some questions on system transfers and SD cards and junk.

1. should I do a system transfer then swap SD cards?
2. do we know if there's an upper limit on the size of micro SDs for the New 3DS?
3. any particular brands I should be wary of?

1. During the system transfer it'll tell you when to swap SD cards.
2. There's a good description here. http://www.slashgear.com/new-nintendo-3ds-limits-detailed-wifi-backup-pc-only-no-sdxc-29343412/
3. No idea, I just stick with SanDisk most of the time ha.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I wonder if New 3DS will finally usher in proper GBA ports as new system exclusives.
It'd be a pretty good reason to encourage people to make the switch without pissing off too many.

I would legitimately upgrade only for a virtual console with GBA and/or SNES titles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
x

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 17, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Elite Forces is a good game.

Now that the EU wait for Shovel Knight is over (and the game already beaten because yeah that was not long), I'll just sit here and hope for Azure Striker Gunvolt and/or Shantae and the Pirate's Curse every week.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Don't get tied up over Shantae, that game is pretty lousy.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

RyokoTK posted:

Don't get tied up over Shantae, that game is pretty lousy.

As a counterpoint, that game is pretty awesome.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Seagull posted:

So Smash Bros.?
Nah, those functions and stuff are disabled to Smash can run amazingly. GBA ambassador games disable all that stuff and they still run like poo poo. They don't stack up to other VC games at all--

1. There's a ton of motion blur.
2. There's no restore points.
3. The system is unable to go into sleep mode.
4. The screen is very dark.

Some of the games are fairly unplayable, in my opinion. Like they don't run slowly or anything they just kinda look terrible and I can't stand playing them. There's no way Nintendo could ever get away with selling those games as they are.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
What are the odds on Gamestop letting me do a system transfer at the counter during the process of me trading in my 3DSXL for a New 3DS XL in a few months? :suicide:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

deadly_pudding posted:

What are the odds on Gamestop letting me do a system transfer at the counter during the process of me trading in my 3DSXL for a New 3DS XL in a few months? :suicide:

When I asked to do this while upgrading from original 3DS to an XL they said no. Plus it wouldn't have worked anyway, as it requires an internet connection to do.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So far from walking around today I have 5 street pass people in my ds. I've got a level of fire emblem open so I can't load up the plaza to see what's happening. I took a look and found that there are some street pass relay hubs on my way home. Is it worth spending a minute or two standing around each on my way home? Do people carry their ds's around a lot? is there a point really? If it helps for fire emblem stuff, great.

edit: apparently I need to enable it within fire emblem! I don't know if I've done that. How often does the ds do a streetpass 'ping'? I can't imagine the wifi is on all the time.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 10, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've heard some locations are pretty good about letting you do transfers in-store, but the SD card shenanigans might complicate the process.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've heard some locations are pretty good about letting you do transfers in-store, but the SD card shenanigans might complicate the process.

This and having to deal with whatever lovely mall wifi they might have. After seeing how long it took to transfer to my XL, I was glad I didn't have to spend over an hour hanging out at Gamestop.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kelp Plankton posted:

When I asked to do this while upgrading from original 3DS to an XL they said no. Plus it wouldn't have worked anyway, as it requires an internet connection to do.

I'll just ask next time I'm at the mall. Worse comes to worse, I have to set aside an extra $80 or whatever to pay for the console, then trade in the old one after I finish the transfer to use my store credit on other stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get New 3DS the same general time frame as Monster Hunter 4.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll just ask next time I'm at the mall. Worse comes to worse, I have to set aside an extra $80 or whatever to pay for the console, then trade in the old one after I finish the transfer to use my store credit on other stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get New 3DS the same general time frame as Monster Hunter 4.

Yeah I have a good feeling we'll see a Nu3DS+MH4 bundle and I will buy the gently caress out of it

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One more PAL promo for prospective new 3DS owners: register a new 3DS/XL/2DS and either Smash 3DS or Pokemon OR/AS with Club Nintendo, get a free digital game! Choices include Kirby Triple Deluxe, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Monster Hunter, Pokemon Art Academy and Yoshi's New Island. Details here.

Long shot but if any dudes in here have a spare EU 3DS code I can use I'll PayPal you the cost of a beer.

I dunno - is £18.99 a little steep? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/club-nint...=item35df76cb5a

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 10, 2014

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Haquer posted:

Yeah I have a good feeling we'll see a Nu3DS+MH4 bundle and I will buy the gently caress out of it

They had one in Japan.

There've already been others in both 3DS and 3DSXL formats, too.

I could've gotten the new one, but I opted for the red Smash Bros. New LL instead.
(It was just released on the 9th in Japan, and it should be here hopefully by the end of the week, yay.)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So there aren't any technical reasons why the 3DS can't run GBA well right? Especially if the development is in-house, I'd imagine we'd get a pretty good emulated experience, just as Sony did with their PS1 emulator on PSP.

Was the current lovely implementation done in this manner simply because :effort:?

As others said, I admttedly would totally upgrade to a New3DS if it ran GBA and SNES VC and I just bought an XL a few months back. Then I would probably buy the 4DS or whatever we get as the real successor as well. Nintendo knows me too well..

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KingSlime posted:

So there aren't any technical reasons why the 3DS can't run GBA well right? Especially if the development is in-house, I'd imagine we'd get a pretty good emulated experience, just as Sony did with their PS1 emulator on PSP.

Was the current lovely implementation done in this manner simply because :effort:?

I don't think anyone here is a developer for Nintendo who can answer this for you.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

KingSlime posted:

Iwata sat in front of two buttons. One said "good emulation" and one said "lovely emulation." I think we all know which button he pressed :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I was wrong.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They had the GBA emulator perfected but they couldn't package any roms into it because the website they got them from requested they delete them after 24 hours.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It's tough man. Everyone was like "Iwata! We can make good emulators!" But he just pointed to the button.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I guess what I meant by my question is that a 3DS has enough horsepower to theoretically run GBA and SNES emus competently, right?

I suppose we'll get an answer to this as the homebrew scene continues to mature.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

redreader posted:

So far from walking around today I have 5 street pass people in my ds. I've got a level of fire emblem open so I can't load up the plaza to see what's happening. I took a look and found that there are some street pass relay hubs on my way home. Is it worth spending a minute or two standing around each on my way home? Do people carry their ds's around a lot? is there a point really? If it helps for fire emblem stuff, great.

edit: apparently I need to enable it within fire emblem! I don't know if I've done that. How often does the ds do a streetpass 'ping'? I can't imagine the wifi is on all the time.

did you read any of the replies when you were talking about this yesterday???

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe but I think the dstwo is the only flashcard that really does snes emulation and it has a built-in cpu to help

im not a flashcard expert though

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

KingSlime posted:

I guess what I meant by my question is that a 3DS has enough horsepower to theoretically run GBA and SNES emus competently, right?

Depends on your definition of competently. Some of the less demanding games? Sure, but people don't want to just play Super Mario World 1. Emulation is mostly done on the CPU and, as it turns out the 3DS, between its operating system and the Streetpass stuff, doesn't seem to have enough juice to do a whole lot.

And, yes, the only flash cart with playable SNES/GBA emulation requires a built-in CPU of its own making. Of course we are talking the old DS, but still, I imagine the VC will expand with the Nu3DS. It's free money.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KingSlime posted:

I suppose we'll get an answer to this as the homebrew scene continues to mature.

They'll run about as well as N64 titles on Wii. Basically, they'll work, but not as well as Nintendo would like them to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh well it's kind of redundant anyways. My Note 2 + a Gameklip + a PS3 controller = a gaming nostalgia heaven that Nintendo could only dream of delivering via their subpar hardware/services.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

Oh well it's kind of redundant anyways. My Note 2 + a Gameklip + a PS3 controller = a gaming nostalgia heaven that Nintendo could only dream of delivering via their subpar hardware/services.

And all that for only around $660, what a deal!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

redreader posted:

My roommate and I just went to our local hobunk town's Starbucks the other day with our DS's and loaded up. She got 10, I got 6. :wtf: Also, she gets me like 3-4 times a day, and one of our apartment complex neighbors that I almost never get. I'll never understand how this poo poo works.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KingSlime posted:

You have to really be trying hard to out-nerd a thread about a goddamn gameboy but by god you've loving done it. Congratulations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

greatn posted:

And all that for only around $660, what a deal!

It definitely is! Smartphones are versatile devices that let you do all sorts of things, like call people, browse internet websites, and yes even play classic games. Pretty cool huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You have to really be trying hard to out-nerd a thread about a goddamn gameboy but by god you've loving done it. Congratulations.

What's your point?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KingSlime posted:

It definitely is! Smartphones are versatile devices that let you do all sorts of things, like call people, browse internet websites, and yes even play classic games. Pretty cool huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

What's your point?

Smartphones have been commonplace for half a goddamn decade and you come into a thread like you discovered the Wu Tang Secret of playing games on your phone. People don't game on goddamn smart phones because the experience loving sucks if you're using the touch screen controls, and carting a drat controller and mounting hardware makes your phone about as portable as a SNES in the first place so that's no better. Also you could buy like 7 super nintendos for the price you'd pay to do that. Nobody in their right mind considers a smartphone emulator a proper replacement for an actual game system.

EDIT: Smartphones are great things which is why pretty much everyone already owns one. They're just not great for playing games on with the exception of games that were specifically designed for smartphones, such as the incredibly popular Angry Birds and etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't know, I think my GameKlip is kinda slick and pretty portable. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but I am saying your opinion is an opinion. Check out this cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjBWDhm9xU

Also forum posts shouldn't upset you this much.

EDIT: Finally your edit is wrong about smartphones sucking for gaming, here is another video showing how awesome classic games can be on a phone with a controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYHSxpckmu0

We can go back to talking about 3DS now if you'd like.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 11, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's lame. You are lame.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

elf help book posted:

That's lame. You are lame.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

You carry around a PS3 controller wearing a diaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Carrying around a smartphone and controller sounds cumbersome so my question is how to carry them around. As in, what kind of pants?

elf help book posted:

You carry around a PS3 controller wearing a diaper.

oh

• Locked thread