Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Someone apparently told Abbott that he may come within fifty metres of Putin at some time and he is backtracking like crazy hahahah you loving shitstain

Another broken promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
This didn't get much discussion - but one of NSW's prosecutors got into some trouble when she gave advice to her Son's GF to fake chest pains to help her get out of a drink driving charge.

ICAC started an inquiry looking to see if she perverted the course of justice.

She appealed this on the basis that ICAC had overstepped what they were allowed to do. If this appeal had been successful - it would have limited what ICAC could do in other cases.

Luckily her initial appeal has failed

Guardian posted:

Top NSW prosecutor Margaret Cunneen has lost her initial bid to shut down the Icac inquiry into allegations she perverted the course of justice.

Cunneen stood aside as NSW deputy senior crown prosecutor after Icac announced it was investigating claims she and her son Stephen Wyllie told his girlfriend, Sophia Tilley, to fake chest pains to avoid a breath test after a car crash in May.

In August, Cunneen faced a private hearing over the allegations.
On 29 October, Cunneen, her son and Tilley received a summons to attend a public inquiry into the matter, sparking their court bid to halt the proceedings.
Cunneen, who describes the accusations as “malicious”, argued Icac was acting beyond its jurisdiction and there was no suggestion the allegations involved her conduct as a crown prosecutor.
But Justice Clifton Hoeben rejected Cuneen’s arguments, saying it was appropriate for Icac to take a person’s status as a public official into account.

He also rejected Cunneen’s legal team’s submission that the conduct alleged against her, her son and Tilley went no higher than an interference with a police investigation.

If the factual basis of the accusations against the trio are made out, Hoeben said it could amount to perverting the course of justice or an attempt to pervert the course of justice.

Cunneen’s barrister launched an immediate appeal and in a brief hearing on the matter late Monday afternoon, Icac’s barrister Jeremy Kirk said the commission would hold off hosting the inquiry until the appeal is determined.

Subject to the outcome of the appeal, Kirk said the watchdog would want to hold its public hearings after the end of November.
“There is significant public interest in the prompt resolution of this matter,” he said.

Meanwhile, the young woman at the centre of the allegations, Tilley, appeared at Downing centre local court on unrelated traffic offences.

The court heard the 25-year-old had been caught driving at 100km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Easter long weekend.
Then in July, the property sales associate was caught running a red light on a Saturday morning in Paddington in Sydney’s east.
Magistrate Lisa Stapleton said Tilley had a “very poor” driving record, accruing five offences since renewing her L-plates last year.

“She has a limited history and it is very poor,” she said.
Tilley was fined $615 for running the red light and suspended from driving for two months from 14 December.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/10/margaret-cunneens-bid-to-block-icac-inquiry-dismissed

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zenithe posted:

Hey, you know what will help stimulate the economy?

Cutting the dole apparently

Hi rest of the world, lets show you how we know literally nothing about how economics work.

Well you see if all the poor people starve to death then our average gdp per capita increases.

It's sound science!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that there's a chart showing that of all stimulus measures public welfare for the poor is the absolute most effective at helping the economy grow, besides eating the rich.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

ewe2 posted:

New Matilda has just noticed that Noel Pearson's speech at the Whitlam memorial was version 2.

Here's the first one. Apparently no one else noticed. It's got footnotes and everything!

Why are New Matilda so snarky?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Freudian Slip posted:

Luckily her initial appeal has failed

Good. ICAC is the best thing in NSW right now.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

FB Messenger posted:

hey, you know hawk don't you?

he was on his way to tafe this morning and the cops were waiting for him at south bank train station, served him with a notice telling him to stay out of the G20 restricted zone (not the security zone around BCEC but the 10km radius zone) until next tuesday or he'd be locked up, all because he does military costumes for video game launches

Brisbane.

Stay the gently caress away.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

Brisbane.

Stay the gently caress away.

What the heck?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
we don't want Big Boss to jump in and start wrecking the joint.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Splode posted:

Why are New Matilda so snarky?
Because Pearson has gone from championing the Aborigine Australian to a conservative "cut their benefits" fool. Maybe the speech might kickstart his brain into thinking about all Aborigines rather than himself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Zenithe posted:

Hey, you know what will help stimulate the economy?

Cutting the dole apparently

Hi rest of the world, lets show you how we know literally nothing about how economics work.

Abbott's going to get laughed out of his own G20, right?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cleretic posted:

Abbott's going to get laughed out of his own G20, right?

Are you kidding, look at some of the other stuff we're going to do to improve the economy. Here are a couple of other commitments.

Our Tone posted:

cutting red tape
contributing to global trade liberalisation

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news Voters of Victoria, when it comes to housing, your representatives are hopelessly conflicted:

The top 20 property owners have 82 properties between them

Lucky for them prices are going through the roof:

Fortunately for us poors rents have stayed relatively flat:

Though on the other hand:

quote:

Victorian tenants’ limited rights include less stability and security in tenure due to shorter lease terms (6 to 12 months on average), lower rental vacancy rates favouring landlords during contractual negotiations, termination of leases for no reason, and requisite landlord permission for minor alterations and pet ownership.

The Bottom Line:

quote:

A wide range of practical policies are available to Victorian parliamentarians to lower housing and land costs, improving the lives of all Victorians. Sadly, the aforementioned recommendations are not in the financial interests of the political class and their ultimate constituents: concentrations of capital, especially the FIRE sector. The 30 per cent of Victorians living as public and private tenants are considered a scourge and treated with contempt.

Click through for the whole thing, and find out how many properties your local MP owns:
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/11/victorian-politicians-136-million-property-holdings/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Today was my first day at the hotel and when the manager was showing me the hotel rooms he opened each empty room with a bad Asian impression. "Ching Chong Ding Dong" and "Ching Chong Room Service". I had to laugh with him because he was the one who hired me but I feel so dirty.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Good news Voters of Victoria, when it comes to housing, your representatives are hopelessly conflicted:

The top 20 property owners have 82 properties between them

Lucky for them prices are going through the roof:

Fortunately for us poors rents have stayed relatively flat:

Though on the other hand:

The Bottom Line:

Click through for the whole thing, and find out how many properties your local MP owns:
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/11/victorian-politicians-136-million-property-holdings/

Wow this is a very interesting read. Thank you.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Shadeoses posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's a chart showing that of all stimulus measures public welfare for the poor is the absolute most effective at helping the economy grow, besides eating the rich.

You're assuming that they believe this will actually boost the economy and are not using it as an excuse to push their own ideology.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Anidav posted:

Today was my first day at the hotel...
Sure you might loose your job, but TT / ACA would eat from your hand if you have some horrid boss story. But then again you'd only make around $1000+ depending on how decent the story is.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

WebDog posted:

Sure you might loose your job, but TT / ACA would eat from your hand if you have some horrid boss story. But then again you'd only make around $1000+ depending on how decent the story is.

pretty sure ACA wouldn't give a single gently caress about a hotel manager being racist towards asians.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

pretty sure ACA wouldn't give a single gently caress about a hotel manager being racist towards asians.

Especially a hotel manager in QLD.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh...forgot he's in Queensland...
Well you'll have a hotel thread that will rival AngryBeeDance's bullshit at the end of it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM9Ereg2Zo

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Just a reminder to anyone masochistic to be watching qanda, that "Susan Greenfield" woman is a loving hack.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2013/apr/09/susan-greenfield-article-how-to-guide

http://www.badscience.net/2011/11/why-wont-professor-greenfield-publish-this-theory-in-a-scientific-journal/

http://www.theguardian.com/science/head-quarters/2014/oct/03/susan-greenfield-mind-change-technology-evidence

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So, quick write-up while it's still fresh, got along to the Bendigo AGM of the local Rural Australians For Refugees and we had a guest speaker from Foundation House (full name is Foundation for Survivors of Torture), one of the social workers who's dealt with an amazing variety of people, who wanted to talk about how to help convince the unconvinced. There's a great bunch of people there, and it was a great talk.

The trouble with convincing people about changing our attitude to refugees and asylum-seekers is that so few actually meet one and its easier to rely on the narrow picture the media paints. One person has a relative who doesn't get why she is involved and asked "what are you people going to do about ISIS?", which she counted as progress of a kind; at least that means RAR has some clout :D

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

People watch qanda still?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Matthew Beet posted:

I watch it through your bedroom window.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Matthew Beet posted:

Twitter always explodes whenever its on. Most are just idiot Labor and LNP rusted-on's then some like Senator Ludlam warn people that it's on and to spare them the ordeal.

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013
burke and wills - the uranium expedition

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bling bling bilal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 10, 2014

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Anidav posted:

Today was my first day at the hotel and when the manager was showing me the hotel rooms he opened each empty room with a bad Asian impression. "Ching Chong Ding Dong" and "Ching Chong Room Service". I had to laugh with him because he was the one who hired me but I feel so dirty.

Your new boss was testing you and now he thinks you're racist.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A whole lot of bad photos of Abbott coming out of APEC. Looks more like Gollum everyday.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amoeba102 posted:

A whole lot of bad photos of Abbott coming out of APEC. Looks more like Gollum everyday.

Especially when he does his lizard lips licking nervous tick. He did that at the Whitlam memorial, when the cameras focused on him when Anthony Whitlam was thanking Abbott for the State Memorial

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

You shouldn't laugh at things like that. It only encourages them.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Kommando posted:

You shouldn't laugh at things like that. It only encourages them.

Yeah, in those situations I play dumb. I had a boss at a hotel in Rockhampton ask me what i do when aboriginals come in. I told him I serve them, offer room rates, take a security deposit then tell them to check out at 10am and to enjoy their stay. He was referring to the aboriginals that camp on the river and he back tracked liked crazy and ended up saying more racist poo poo.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, if you don't feel comfortable with directly challenging their racism then playing it completely straight/dumb is the best option imo

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Hi all,

I did another article on general practice and why the co-payment is a bad idea.

It was published in the conversation here

https://theconversation.com/medicare-spending-on-general-practice-is-value-for-money-33948

Feel free to tell the tories in the comments to choke on their privilege

(Also if you want to share or tweet it - that would be great too)

Also my better half did another awesome infographic for you goons to share

Also if anyone else wants to chip in for Xylo's present you have till the end of the day to send the dosh to Beet as I am going shopping tomorrow!

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 11, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Barnaby Joyce? He's OK isn't he?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/barnaby-joyce/5881246

quote:

Barnaby Joyce

Tuesday 11 November 2014 7:44AM

The Trans Pacific Partnership is the next big trade deal to be negotiated once Australia and China shake hands on a bilateral Free Trade Agreement when President Xi Jinping arrives this week for the G20 summit.

The Trans Pacific Partnership is a proposed free trade deal for a dozen countries throughout the Asia Pacific and Tony Abbott has attended talks in Beijing with US president Barack Obama about the deal.

Cheap Chinese labour and the easing of restrictions on Chinese investment in Australia are cause for concern amongst some, even though both trade deals will deliver significant benefits to Australian exporters.
Highlight:

Using the occasion of Wayne Goss' death to declare Joh Bjelke-Petersen as the real game changer in Queensland.

When you hear a conservative (and it is always a conservative) rattle on about not politicising remembrance day (by doing stuff like turning your back on government ministers) please remember that it was today that NTATA announced our grovelling subservience to the Imperial United States:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-troops-finally-on-the-ground-in-iraq-20141111-11k3vu.html

quote:

The breakthrough coincides with the United States' plea for Australia to increase its commitment to Iraq and Remembrance Day, when Commonwealth nations pay tribute to members of the armed forces who have died in service.

Speaking of the enormous disappointment that is our glorious leader:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...110-11jtrj.html

quote:

Tony Abbott again softens tone against Vladimir Putin over downing of MH17

November 10, 2014 - 5:03PM Latika Bourke

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says he will seek an "assurance" from Vladimir Putin that his country will co-operate with investigations into the downing of MH17, in a further softening of his tone towards the Russian President. Speaking to reporters at the APEC summit in Beijng on Monday, Mr Abbott dramatically toned down his rhetoric and noted Russia's pledge to do what it could to bring the perpetrators to justice. "Good on Russia for saying that and I'll just be looking for an assurance from the President that what they said then – they meant and what they said then is still what they say now," he said.

This contrasts with an assertion in October that he would "shirtfront" Mr Putin over the deaths of 38 Australian citizens and residents who died in the atrocity. And the Prime Minister vowed at the weekend to have "robust" discussions with Mr Putin about MH17 at APEC this week. Mr Abbott's "shirtfront" threat prompted mockery from a Russian official in Canberra at the time it was issued. Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev also warned Mr Abbott that "politicians should choose their words carefully". The pair was headed for a showdown at the G20 in Brisbane but fears it would overshadow the economic summit mean a face-to-face encounter is more likely this week in Bejing.

But Mr Abbott on Monday said discussing the MH17 tragedy was not the top priority of the summits. "There's a big agenda here and conversations with the Russian President on a very important subject are only part and by no means the biggest part of the agenda that Australia is following here in Beijing and subsequently in Brisbane," he said.

You utter coward and liar NTATA. You said it. You said it when everyone knew it was monstrously loving stupid and counter productive. What an utter gutless wonder. I don't want any national leader to make threats to the person of another but if you cross the line you don't get to quietly step back. If there was a single 'journalist' in this country worth their pay someone would take this opportunity to ask how operation "Bring Them Home" is going. Yes that's right another item where Mr jelly backbone grabbed the megaphone and squawked but to no avail. This can't be that hard Aussie journos. Weak poo poo is weak poo poo.

Here's the lastest 'news' on OBTH, Dated 31 August.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/operation-bring-them-home-first-australian-mh17-funeral-this-week-20140830-10acxl.html

Joe Hockey's reaction?

Muppet Government.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-10/no-free-lunch-for-wwii-bomber-brothers-who-won-highest-honour/5880230

quote:

No free lunch for WWII bomber brothers who won France's highest honour

Two Western Australian World War II veterans who received honours for bravery have been invited to a lunch with the Australian and British prime ministers, but will have to pay their own way to Canberra and meet all expenses for the trip.

Tony Abbott: too stupid to even do Nationalism properly

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Let's set up a paypal for them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You should definitely get Xylo some red velvet Tim Tams, they are awesome.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Remembrance Day is a really good time to send soldiers into a warzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Palmersaurus posted:

Remembrance Day is a really good time to send soldiers into a warzone.

Always need more soldiers to remember obviously.

• Locked thread