Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the south can go be the Holy Republic of America and the north can be the American Federation and we can each laugh at how the other raises their children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Give every southerner one chance at a 100% debt-free no strings attached free ride out, relocation and all.

If they refuse or protest, do not bicker. They will understand their folly when the skies ignite and the land burns

someone in the sci fi thread wrote that True Detective was a dear john letter to the deep south and it was what made me end up watching the show

pretty decent show but that quote just cracked me up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

syscall girl posted:

someone in the sci fi thread wrote that True Detective was a dear john letter to the deep south and it was what made me end up watching the show

pretty decent show but that quote just cracked me up

this is why i watch walking dead. i don't loving care about drat zombies, i just like to watch Dixie rot.

really hoping for some awesome tensions between the D.C. city boys and our Georgia/Texas crew

course for some reason i dont think eugene's gonna make it all the way

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
as a software developer living in the bay area, america is pretty great

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
its kinda weird that smallpox is the small to syphilis's great pox but nobody cares about ol siphy anymore, antibiotics are a helluva drug

also my money would be on the aforementioned sovietpox being located in some facility that lost power two decades ago and those superbugs are now floating dead in a slurry of refrigerant and rusty water

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

JFK took us far closer to nuclear war than any other president.
reagan came drat close in 1983: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

the south can go be the Holy Republic of America and the north can be the American Federation and we can each laugh at how the other raises their children

also democratic ppls republic of california

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

its kinda weird that smallpox is the small to syphilis's great pox but nobody cares about ol siphy anymore, antibiotics are a helluva drug

also my money would be on the aforementioned sovietpox being located in some facility that lost power two decades ago and those superbugs are now floating dead in a slurry of refrigerant and rusty water

don't worry about the antique STIs

they're making a comeback, antibiotic resistance isn't just for childhood diseases

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

don't worry about the antique STIs

they're making a comeback, antibiotic resistance isn't just for childhood diseases

loving finally, i've been holding on to this first edition for a while

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny 290 posted:

Give every southerner one chance at a 100% debt-free no strings attached free ride out, relocation and all.

If they refuse or protest, do not bicker. They will understand their folly when the skies ignite and the land burns

same except northern suburbs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

krieder-sherman-resurrection.jpg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Foo posted:

krieder-sherman-resurrection.jpg

you rang?

that second panel is a masterwork :allears:

and the artist's statement is, as always, excellent reading

...To my dismay I found that, having drawn the guy on the far right, I did not hate him; in fact, I kind of pitied and loved him. He doesn’t mean any harm. He’s just a big doofus. This is what always happens when I draw George Bush, who I also hate in real life. An occupational hazard. The nameless priest in Grahan Greene’s The Power and the Glory muses, “When you visualized a man or woman carefully, you could always begin to feel pity...”...

http://www.thepaincomics.com/weekly060315a.htm

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 11, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

awwwww yisssssss

anyway the second panel is great and it really stands alone imo

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

as a software developer living in the bay area, america is pretty great

i dunno it seems like bizarro world to me but maybe i follow too many west coast feminists on twitter

also i am starting to not hate texas, not sure what is happening to me

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

awwwww yisssssss

anyway the second panel is great and it really stands alone imo

the fourth is av material imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nixon being drunk off his rear end and busy covering up a burglary during the yom kippur war also was pretty close

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

I'd imagine at least ten times as many Americans died in military training accidents between 1950 and 1990 than have been killed by terrorism in the entire history of the United States

americans need an enemy. americans love to be scared and live in fear

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

graph posted:

americans need an enemy. americans love to be scared and live in fear

the other day Obama gave a speech about Ebola and he said

Are you loving kidding me posted:

America in the end is not defined by fear. That's not who we are. We don't just react based on our fears, we react based on facts and judgment.

:lol:

I was wondering though; if people didn't have wars, everyone in the world had food etc., climate change was actually being worked on - basically if the world just turned into a dumb giant hugbox would we all just get bored and go back to wars? Maybe it's just people get bored and we want to kill something or at least gently caress it up a bit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Broken Machine posted:

I was wondering though; if people didn't have wars, everyone in the world had food etc., climate change was actually being worked on - basically if the world just turned into a dumb giant hugbox would we all just get bored and go back to wars? Maybe it's just people get bored and we want to kill something or at least gently caress it up a bit

the only people who don't have food these days aren't making wars (outside of their own starving countries)

and yes, that's the fundamental flaw with most revolutionary systems - after a generation or two everyone forgets why we changed stuff and the old status quo reasserts itself

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i will at this time accept a namechange

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pinterest Mom posted:

ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
brb copyrighting "Ten Little Pindians" and "Driving While Pintoxicated"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Broken Machine posted:

nah, its about money

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

brb copyrighting "Ten Little Pindians" and "Driving While Pintoxicated"

nonononofasndofsnnonononoonononono

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rotor posted:

JFK took us far closer to nuclear war than any other president.

yet none of them came nearly as close as the US and allied armed forces did with their sheer incompetence regarding the handling of nuclear weapons.

we gave nato allies our old lovely weapons (which didn't have fancy features like a "hey do you actually want to arm this thing?" safety) with the instructions in english. eventually we decide to send an inspector around and the inspector goes over to find that not only did they keep the weapons on idling jets at the end of the runway (instead of secured under US lock and key until they were needed as was the "deal") but that they just kinda had improvised the procedures for loading/unloading the weapons onto the jets because the crews weren't fluent in english. unloading step 1: pull the arming wire.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

First mover advantage. If you're lucky/smart/good enough to get a following on a new service, first. You can turn that in to a career.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

she looks like she enjoys a good pinetration from time to time

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Shifty Pony posted:

yet none of them came nearly as close as the US and allied armed forces did with their sheer incompetence regarding the handling of nuclear weapons.

we gave nato allies our old lovely weapons (which didn't have fancy features like a "hey do you actually want to arm this thing?" safety) with the instructions in english. eventually we decide to send an inspector around and the inspector goes over to find that not only did they keep the weapons on idling jets at the end of the runway (instead of secured under US lock and key until they were needed as was the "deal") but that they just kinda had improvised the procedures for loading/unloading the weapons onto the jets because the crews weren't fluent in english. unloading step 1: pull the arming wire.

If it makes you feel any better British nuclear submarines currently run on Windows XP Nuclear Submarine Edition.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PokeJoe posted:

even on active duty the most dangerous thing for a soldier is himself

I bet second is his helicopters last mechanic

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

"Driving While Pintoxicated"

Don't pinterest and drive

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im dying squirtle

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

yet another cool remnant of the cold war. the director of the soviet biowarfare division confirmed they had a smallish stockpile of weaponized smallpox ready to go. The cool thing is that no one is really sure what happened to it.

the dissolved nobel prizes story makes me hopeful someone pulled the plug on the fridge

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
also let me know when uber reacts to surge protector

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

JawnV6 posted:

who will disrupt the disruptors?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ok so on the pinfluencer thing, this is something i have experience with.

they're just like the youtube stars and poo poo, "normal" people with gigantic audiences, and now they realize that if you're a brand and are like "hey wouldn't it be cool if you pinned Crest toothpaste? here's 5 tubes of it for free!" they can go "nah, give me $10,000 and I will" and the brand is like "hmmm, we can do $4000 and 10 tubes" and then boom there you go magic happens. now these pinfluencers are hiring people to handle that for them since there are all kinds of contracts about competing products and poo poo now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's great because the people who's "brand" is essentially themselves and their taste are now removing themselves from the equation, allowing the marketing, PR, and lawyers to sort things out. just like they do in all the traditional channels.

disruptive

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JawnV6 posted:

Thomas Schmidt, one of the developers of the app, told BuzzFeed that they've been in touch with Uber for the last two weeks about their product, and they don't seem to mind it one bit.

"Uber's actually been super cool about SurgeProtector," Schmidt stated in an email.

"In fact, we think SurgeProtector could actually increase demand as the people who use SurgeProtector to get out of surge are probably part of a contingent that wouldn't have called a surge-priced Uber anyway," Schmidt continued.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

infernal machines posted:

it's great because the people who's "brand" is essentially themselves and their taste are now removing themselves from the equation, allowing the marketing, PR, and lawyers to sort things out. just like they do in all the traditional channels.

disruptive

cash ruins everything around me

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

rotor posted:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm the 5-50% band

• Locked thread