Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#35. Bridgin' It

Mmmmm

quote:

Whatup
???: Really? Sleeping Late is your way of spending the holiday? I wouldn't have guessed that, Vinny!

???: Oops! My colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye."
*click*
. . . Girls are weird.

Grum grum . . .

Hugh, aren't you supposed to be off looking for Team Plasma or something? They're not gonna just show up if you stand here.

Music: Zinzolin
. . . nope. No.

my curious trainers."

Nope! I'm done here!

You're not really convincing me there, guy.

. . . Fuckin' really?

No. Stop.

NO. But whatever.

Hugh, do—

Music: Battle! Team Plasma (Black2/White2 Ver.)

Choro Notes: Look we get to fight another Sage! Remember how he was originally found in the Cold Storage in Black/White? Guess what!

Choro Notes: All of his monsters are Ice-type.

Choro Notes: Basically, there is no way I am losing this fight.

Seething annoyance.

This is like a cartoon. You guys are cartoon villains. Shout about how you'll "Get us next time!"

SEE, RIGHT THERE.

Guhhhhhhhhhhh

- - -

Choro Notes: Route 12 is almost entirely un-eventful.

Choro Notes: In Black2, Heracross can appear. In White2 you get Pinsir, instead.

Choro Notes: Village Bridge has changed a little! The cool music thing still happens though. I'm not recording a new video for it though so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQbb3_6RlY

I dig this. I dig the sights here.

. . . it smells like Patrat.

You're sure those're musicians?

'Ey I'm walkin' 'ere.

No.

You'd think people would get the hint when I walk around with a living bear trap and a fetid pile of livin' sludge.

Choro Notes: The sandwich lady is now in a little building. You can no longer play that weird lil server "game".

Ehhh . . .

- - -

Choro Notes: The place she was located before is now a Tennis court! For some reason!

Choro Notes: Similarly, the north side of town has a basketball court! Again, for some reason!

Yeah. YEAH. I FEEL THIS GUY.

Choro Notes: There is a barely noticeable door here.

Who ever heard of a goofy ghost? I've met ghosts. They aren't really goofy.

- - -

Ah.

- - -

Great.

- - -

Choro Notes: Route 11 is also short and not really eventful.

Wait a second.

. . .

. . .

. . . nnnnoooooooope. Nope nope nope nope.

Nope!

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I will be really glad when a substantial thing happens in this game. Oh my god it is such a slog and then it blindsides you with batshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's exactly how I reacted to the musketeers, too. I think they're actually still there in my game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well at least we're at Opelucid. Time again, as always, to have the entire villain's plot happen in one go and then on to the eighth badge like nothing happened.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Uh, I think you started type there is no way I can lose this battle, and then decide to put am, but kept the c in there.

Anyhow, it's interesting that you're not catching the Musketeers. Are you ever gonna go back and get them, or does Vinny not care for them?

Tonlim
Jan 4, 2014
Zinzolin is the worst team sub-commander. Sure, most of the others were one-dimensional and forgettable, but at least they didn't bore you with quasi-philosophical bullshit every time you came across them.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Tonlim posted:

Zinzolin is the worst team sub-commander. Sure, most of the others were one-dimensional and forgettable, but at least they didn't bore you with quasi-philosophical bullshit every time you came across them.

At least Cyrus was entertaining.
I still wonder if his grunts had any idea what he was planning.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Silegna posted:

At least Cyrus was entertaining.

They didn't. They were just pawns swept up in his vague nonsense about "making the world better" without questioning what that meant. Cyrus did't exactly advertise that his plan was to erase them all from existence and start the world over.

As deluded as Plasma grunts are/were, at least they know the gist of the big plan or at least the cover story Ghetsis cooked up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silegna posted:

Galactic Grunt posted:

"Our intentions are great! Too great for me to even understand! I'll fight blindly to defend them."

They knew nothing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Geostomp posted:

They didn't. They were just pawns swept up in his vague nonsense about "making the world better" without questioning what that meant. Cyrus did't exactly advertise that his plan was to erase them all from existence and start the world over.

As deluded as Plasma grunts are/were, at least they know the gist of the big plan or at least the cover story Ghetsis cooked up.

Pretty sure only Ghetsis (or Dennis) and the Sages knew his true goals, everyone else, N included only knew his cover story.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Judge Tesla posted:

Pretty sure only Ghetsis (or Dennis) and the Sages knew his true goals, everyone else, N included only knew his cover story.

Well, there's levels of cover story going on there. The lowest-level of grunts (and the figurehead, N) were fed the first story, a load of crap about liberating pokemon from abusive trainers and blah blah PETA analogy. The Sages that aren't still on Ghetsis's side in B2W2 along with a few higher-level grunts (namely the ones in N's castle in B/W endgame) are told that the first story is a sham, and the idea is instead to centralize the world's pokemon into a single group - themselves - whereupon they can either mass-release them or use them to obtain power.

And only Ghetsis himself (and maybe Zinzolin, given that he's apparently still following Ghetsis's poo poo) knows that what Ghetsis really wanted was to keep all the pokemon in the world, ever, for himself and himself alone, gently caress everyone else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MonsterEnvy posted:

Galactic Grunt posted:

"Our intentions are great! Too great for me to even understand! I'll fight blindly to defend them."
They knew nothing.
:allears: Team Galactic was my favorite villain team. So many funny comic relief grunts.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Cyrus being the villain he is in a Pokemon game still surprises me.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah. He seems more like a Shin Megami Tensei villain, in that he is basically Hikawa, leader of the Reason of Silence in SMT 3.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's pretty funny how he goes, "yeah, I made it all up, tee hee" after his speech in Platinum though.

Also his battle music is good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tonlim posted:

"I want to win because I want to see what happens if I win" is about the worst motivation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

"I want to win because I want to see what happens if I win" is about the worst motivation.

You can tell because he wants the opposite of the best motivation.

"Fred, what we want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what you and your viewers have: civilization."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ghetsis is kind of surprising as well given that he's basically a sham priest/abusive father whose main tactic is aimed at attacking the very premise just to exploit any moral issues that would arise from these lighthearted cockfights.

After them, Lysandre just doesn't really compare. "I want to kill everything because I don't like ugliness/foolishness!" Is not going to be at all deep or sympathetic no matter how you try to spin it, Gamefreak.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Geostomp posted:

After them, Lysandre just doesn't really compare. "I want to kill everything because I don't like ugliness/foolishness!" Is not going to be at all deep or sympathetic no matter how you try to spin it, Gamefreak.

I thought the plot of X/Y was stupid until I realized that Lysandre is just a really rich Redditor.

Now it's stupid but accurate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The second half of the plot, where you fight poverty, crime and supervillains in Paris, that's fun.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Mors Rattus posted:

The second half of the plot, where you fight poverty, crime and supervillains in Paris, that's fun.

Well it WAS more or less a Toku protagonist's origin story, guest starring David Tennant. Quite a fun change of pace compared to the main game.

Back on point, I never did ever find out what the singing "ghost" lady's deal was. Every time the thought crossed my mind I was always doing something more important in the game.

Like trading Magnemites.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

StrifeHira posted:

Back on point, I never did ever find out what the singing "ghost" lady's deal was. Every time the thought crossed my mind I was always doing something more important in the game.

I showed you her point. She is the source of the mysterious sound the girl on the bridge was hearing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Geostomp posted:

Ghetsis is kind of surprising as well given that he's basically a sham priest/abusive father whose main tactic is aimed at attacking the very premise just to exploit any moral issues that would arise from these lighthearted cockfights.

Yeah the Team Flare story felt like watching an episode of Thundercats and out of nowhere Moo-rah starts quoting Shylock.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Chorocojo posted:

I showed you her point. She is the source of the mysterious sound the girl on the bridge was hearing.

That... that's all? Wow. :geno:

At the very least you could get a potion thrown at you or something...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
A little joke isn't good enough for you, for all the other random stuff the game does?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

StrifeHira posted:

That... that's all? Wow. :geno:

At the very least you could get a potion thrown at you or something...

You do. She gives you a handful of Sitrus Berries.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
We're coming up to actually being able to check out the Marine Tube proper which is nice, at least. I also remain a bit of a sap for the Yancy stuff

And hey, Heracross! Still the best Pokemon, my ace in the hole, and the only reason I have ever won Pokemon battles against other people

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I just recorded the beginning of the plot cliff-fall and it's still as dumb as remember it. I'll work on an update and have it up some point relatively soon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dabir posted:

That's exactly how I reacted to the musketeers, too. I think they're actually still there in my game.

I think you mean muskedeers. Easy mistake, could happen to anyone really.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Man, the outfits and stuff in the Pokestar studio are nifty. It would've been really nice to see the game let you keep them as alternate looks for the main character.

I also really like Sabrina's costume, though I've always been partial to her design, old and new.

Oh, while BW still has the best plot, Lysandre's stupidity doesn't come out of nowhere, it comes from Gundam. The man is pokemon Char Aznable, right down to the plan to depopulate everything to make life better for those who remain, his obsession with red, and his funnels when you fight him for the last time. A team flare grunt in Lumiose even makes the three times faster reference.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#36. And Then Things Took a Turn

Music: Opelucid City - Black Version
Choro Notes: Opelucid still has the same gimmick it did in Black/White. Future-y tech city in Black2, Old-fashioned city in White2.

Oh, it's you.

Is he the one who wrestles dragons?

Then y—

Yes. Yes I'm here for that.

Her of all people.

- = =

Choro Notes: There is legit not much changed in Opelucid.

but was he really the hero?"
Who knows?

Choro Notes: At some point in the last two years, possibly as the result of a stupid loving drill castle erupting from the planet's crust, there was a landslide that destroyed the only cool Victory Road in the series. As such, Route 10 is completely blocked off.

- - -

recognized as the hero . . ."
Why am I hearing a lot more about this N guy all of a sudden?

but I wonder where they are now.
Are they passing along their ancient knowledge to someone?"
Choro Notes: Oh, right, we are supposed to be telling a story or something in this game. Let's get all this out there now. Suddenly.

Choro Notes: Iris says to head to Route 9 mostly so you don't forget it's there.

visited Opelucid City . . ."
Choro Notes: :I

Choro Notes: The only encounter change on Route 9 is now Muk can appear.

Choro Notes: In addition, the Challenge Cave has caved in.

Choro Notes: As for the Tubeline Bridge . . .

many people it can hold!"
So just add me to the count. That's all, right?

. . . what?

Choro Notes: There's also a Hidden Grotto out here. The rare monster is Bouffalant with the Soundproof ability.

- - -

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . .

quote:

???: Hi . . . Is this Vinny?
: It's always Vinny.
???: . . . Really? Battles? You do those often, Vinny?
: Uhhhh, anyone who goes outside does. It's crazy outside.
???: Can we do that when we have a chance to? Battle?
: Well. I mean. Yes. Probably!
???: . . . Oops! MY colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye."
. . . what just happened there?

- - -

Choro Notes: Shopping Mall Nine's still here. Still doing what it do.

Choro Notes: Aside from being multiple shops, you can buy the Giga Impact and Hyper Beam TMs here, as well as change Rotom's form in the backroom.

- - -

So basically what I'm thinking, is keep up with this until I hit the wall and then they'll leave me alone and I can focus on my craft.

Yeah I know, I know. Hydrate.

You are a man of convictions, Clyde. I will give you that.

They ain't look like any dragon I've ever seen.

Choro Notes: The way this gym works is pretty simple. Beat this guy and you'll have an option between the next guy you fight.

Choro Notes: Every trainer in here has a Fraxure and then maybe a Druddigon or an Axew.

Choro Notes: Basically this!

Choro Notes: The other trainer ALSO uses a Druddigon, however instead of Rough Skin it has Sheer Force as its ability, and it's holding a Dragon Gem instead of the Rocky Helmet. Offense, you see.

Choro Notes: Simple enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oXSgKVnMc
Choro Notes: It's an impressive-y looking gym but there is little-to-no challenge at all. The version from Black/White was a pain in the rear end but at the same time you had to actually figure it out and do thinky things. I feel like that's a prevalent thing throughout Black2's gyms. "Don't worry about a challenge. Just fight everyone."

Mr. Mayor.

?!

Music: Battle! Unova Gym Leader

Choro Notes: Regardless of your version, Drayden is the gym leader in both Black2 and White2.

Choro Notes: Here's the thing about dragons. They resist the elemental types (Fire, Electric, Water & Grass) but are weak to other Dragon-type attacks as well as Ice-type attacks. Thankfully, I specifically got an Ice-type move earlier!

Choro Notes: Jawnie's other benefit is she's a Steel-type! Which is the only type that resists Dragon-type moves! Well hold on.

Choro Notes: All of Drayden's monsters except one have a move that is basically a counter to Steel-types. They learned their from Black/White.

I like the Ice Punch because she has to spin around and you get that windup, yeah. Little J throwin' mad ice at things.

Choro Notes: In Challenge Mode, this Druddigon gets a Sitrus Berry (which it already used). It also has Rock Slide instead of Slash.

Well.

Simple enough.

Choro Notes: This guy's unique to Challenge mode! He's nasty! The main reason being:

Choro Notes: Yeah! It's packing Fire Blast as a surprise for Steel and Ice-types!

This isn't working . . .

Choro Notes: Poison, thankfully, still works decently on Dragons.

Choro Notes: However, Altaria can get obnoxious with Sing and then just pelting you with Dragon Pulses.

Choro Notes: There's really not too much strategy to this fight if you go the route of "use neutrally effective things". They're basically built for ruining a steel-type team but other than that.

Choro Notes: This guy though, this guy is a pain. Flygon are strange because they're Ground/Dragons with Levitate so that removes just Earthquaking the day away from your possible tactics.

Choro Notes: But it's also very quick and can use Earth Power at you! It's kinda rude! The only difference between this Flygon in challenge mode is it's four levels higher.

Choro Notes: I'm basically just slamming it with an Aqua Tail/Aqua Jet combo. Flygon takes neutral damage from Water-type moves thanks to its Ground-type weaknesses.

I'm constantly amazed at how strong that fish is.

gently caress rocks

Choro Notes: Haxorus is still Drayden's signature! In Challenge Mode it switches Assurance for Shadow Claw and Slash for X-Scissor. You may notice, however, that none of these are effective against Steel-types so.

Solved that problem.

Just get one more good hit in.

Choro Notes: Another strange quirk shows up here.

Choro Notes: In lieu of using an ineffective move, the Haxorus will just repeatedly use Dragon Dance to boost its stats. The thing is, the Haxorus has Dragon Tail and could force a switch.

Done and done.

Yo your beard is like my hair. Unruly and awesome.

I'm grateful we didn't have to actually wrestle. You are friggin' jacked.

to meet our challenges together."

Yo why the hell is there a badge AFTER a badge called the Legend Badge?

Choro Notes: Like I said, Dragon Tail hits then forces the opponent to switch. The move goes last, however.

Ah, yeah, right. Yo honest, I don't really care but let's do it, sure.

- - -

Yeah, got it.

"It was two years ago when the two dragon Pokémon were awakened.

also came into existence in that era.
family for generations: the DNA Splicers.
Wait wait wait. Wait. Hold the gently caress on. Your family discovered DNA generations ago?

Ok, wait a loving second. Hold the loving phone. Ancient people knew about DNA? Have scientists or historians studied these?

WELL APPARENTLY THEY ARE ANCIENT TOOLS THAT CAN SPLICE DNA.

. . . You know? Something. Just somethin' is making me lean towards it being an ice dragon. I have just a hunch.

are both overwhelmingly powerful.

I think that was like a sonic boom. But for stupidity. We broke the stupid barrier. Lord only knows what you have unleashed upon us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_W8AYRGG0

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 17, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's interesting how villains in Pokemon games have upped the stakes between games, like they are all trying to one up each other, from Team Rocket taking over an office building and radio stations, Magma and Aqua trying to flood/scorch the world, Galactic trying to blow up reality (which kinda tops everything forever) and Plasma trying to take Pokemon away from trainers, but the flying Ice Galleon of Doom is just goofy in comparison.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I've seen that cutscene 8 times at this point from editing, etc. I still laugh almost the entire way through at how silly it is.

EDIT: Just watched it a ninth time. Still giggling.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
There are some incorrect screenshots in that update. One after 'just add me to the count', one before 'Shopping Mall Nine's still here', and one before 'DNA splicers' are the ones I noticed.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_W8AYRGG0

And then we gather up a bunch of Fire and/or Steel pokemon and kick their rear end in about ten seconds.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 17, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well...the plot certainly...went downhill, as you said Choro.

I just hope the next update goes for maximum silliness and has Drayden suplex the giant ice crystal blocking the way. There's no other way to cap off a giant flying sailing ship with a cannon that shoots ice crystals showing up out of nowhere.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

It's interesting how villains in Pokemon games have upped the stakes between games, like they are all trying to one up each other, from Team Rocket taking over an office building and radio stations, Magma and Aqua trying to flood/scorch the world, Galactic trying to blow up reality (which kinda tops everything forever) and Plasma trying to take Pokemon away from trainers, but the flying Ice Galleon of Doom is just goofy in comparison.

Gen IV did go kind of overboard when it comes to escalation with Legendaries based on fundamental properties of reality, the evil team dedicated to wiping out the universe, and making the creator deity a potential capture. Black and White made the right call by making the threat less cosmic and more personal by questioning the very premise of the game. I guess after that, there's not too many places to go, so we have Ghetsis being a randomly evil cackling villain and whatever Lysandre's deal was.

I guess they could go straight up Poke-war for Gen VII, but that might be a little darker than they'd like to take the series.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Geostomp posted:

Gen IV did go kind of overboard when it comes to escalation with Legendaries based on fundamental properties of reality, the evil team dedicated to wiping out the universe, and making the creator deity a potential capture. Black and White made the right call by making the threat less cosmic and more personal by questioning the very premise of the game. I guess after that, there's not too many places to go, so we have Ghetsis being a randomly evil cackling villain and whatever Lysandre's deal was.

I guess they could go straight up Poke-war for Gen VII, but that might be a little darker than they'd like to take the series.

Gen VI did have Poke-war in plot dumps, and Pokemon Conquest is a thing that exists.

How convenient that Kyurem comes up just before the arrival of a giant ice-shooting ship...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dragons, DNA, next this they'll reveal that this is a prequel to Dragon's Quarter.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chorocojo posted:

family for generations: the DNA Splicers.
Wait wait wait. Wait. Hold the gently caress on. Your family discovered DNA generations ago?

That should be this picture:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I appreciate the joke in German, but man does it seem a bit obtuse for this game.

• Locked thread