Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, the original complaint is that it took forever to heal at high tiers because you'd have to use the bandage and then wait, so lets hope the healing values are seriously buffed or all we'll be doing is using a bandage and waiting for a different reason lol

Id love it if a bandage healed a percentage of your total health instead of x amount of hitpoints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, the original complaint is that it took forever to heal at high tiers because you'd have to use the bandage and then wait, so lets hope the healing values are seriously buffed or all we'll be doing is using a bandage and waiting for a different reason lol

Actually, reading the thread about the new Dragon Age, they're specifically toning down healing in that game for balance reasons, and it makes sense. It's really difficult to balance around players with effectively infinite health, and can make late game encounters really loving swingy because enemy damage doesn't just have to scale with player HP, but with potential HP from healing as well. I mean, look at high end MMO fights were if the healer screws up for a moment poo poo just flies off the rails.

If the Starbound devs are smart about this, and I'm not saying they will be, they could use limited healing as a reason to make the monsters and damage in general not ridiculous anymore. Being able to reliably kill most monsters without them two-shotting you would be awesome. Having nail-biting fights right from the game's start and only getting a few pixels for not getting killed kinda blows.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's basically the Dark Souls method. Even the most mookish of enemies matter if every bit of damage can eat up your extremely limited healing options (healing options you can't just grind more of). The moment your healing is done via a consumable that method doesn't work because it just means you force the player to grind to have a sufficiently big stack of healing so the damage doesn't matter after all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Id love it if a bandage healed a percentage of your total health instead of x amount of hitpoints

Yeah, that would be nice. You could stagger their tiers out to keep them from becoming redundant quickly, like tier 1s heal 15% or whatever, skip a few, tier 4's heal 20% but with harder to gather materials, etc.

bobtheconqueror posted:

If the Starbound devs are smart about this, and I'm not saying they will be, they could use limited healing as a reason to make the monsters and damage in general not ridiculous anymore. Being able to reliably kill most monsters without them two-shotting you would be awesome. Having nail-biting fights right from the game's start and only getting a few pixels for not getting killed kinda blows.

Yeah that would be nice. Being able to down a thousand potions right after another is garbage, but limiting use through arbitrary time limits is even more so. Monsters should start to spike in lethality in the later tiers, maybe, to keep new players from getting stomped from the get-go, but to also gives people who've been playing for a while some sort of challenge.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, that would be nice. You could stagger their tiers out to keep them from becoming redundant quickly, like tier 1s heal 15% or whatever, skip a few, tier 4's heal 20% but with harder to gather materials, etc.

Yeah that would be nice. Being able to down a thousand potions right after another is garbage, but limiting use through arbitrary time limits is even more so. Monsters should start to spike in lethality in the later tiers, maybe, to keep new players from getting stomped from the get-go, but to also gives people who've been playing for a while some sort of challenge.

I think a good way to keep it balanced would be to have the cooldown of the 'potion' match the duration of the healing effect. So the higher you get, the less you can 'chug' them to trivialize loads of incoming damage, but if you continue to play smart you'll be good.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I basically think the general exploration should be pretty easy. The monsters on surface biomes outside of dungeons shouldn't be difficult in terms of stats. You get deeper underground to the caves or in actual dungeons, and things get harder. The most important thing being that the challenge scales with the reward, which would mean that higher tiers are certainly harder than lower ones.

I also don't have a problem with those random boss monsters being really difficult for their tier. Having a bit of random challenge is nice, and those guys were dropping cool weapons when I played last.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

That's basically the Dark Souls method. Even the most mookish of enemies matter if every bit of damage can eat up your extremely limited healing options (healing options you can't just grind more of). The moment your healing is done via a consumable that method doesn't work because it just means you force the player to grind to have a sufficiently big stack of healing so the damage doesn't matter after all.

You could have an in-between method where limited healing use makes damage management important, combined with some degree of scarcity in healing consumables (so that you have to work to get them, and want to conserve them anyway, dark souls also has this with its non-estus healing options) and quality levels which slowly lift the healing use cap.

So low tier healing is slower but more plentiful, but won't negate you taking a lot of damage (food would fill this niche handily) while faster healing is rarer, especially very fast, high tier healing.

Certainly you can grind your way through that sort of system but it can easily be made unappealing to do so, just as it is in Dark Souls because loving hell, nobody would grind humanity rather than just figuring out how to beat a section.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, I like those ideas. Having the potion (or whatever)'s effect last as long as the cooldown keeps you from being able to give yourself infinite health by assigning your use potion button to scroll wheel, while also just letting you go to town on the things. How long the effect/coowldown lasts is another matter but that's what beta testing's for, right?

Lethality of mobs tied to surface/dungeon is good idea too, but tying to planet and biome as well. Imagine rolling up on a planet and it's got a Death World designation where all the monsters are one tier higher, but so is all the treasure and ore.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Survival aspects can be a lot of fun, but only if the game is really built around it, centrally. Starbound is not a survival game, and slapping on a hunger bar didn't make it one. Glad to see it gone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hunger bar is gone so I will no longer hand to use a chair and dirt wall as a makeshift pause button? Nice.

Will the blood spitting bone birds with vastly more damage than temple guards spit glow in the dark blood now? Though the progress in not making it Doom 3 (chose your flashlight, OR your weapon if you liked those two handers. not both :haw:) levels of darkness the whole way through is good. Bandages cooldown before we even know if the changes to them helps at all when you die so fast though?

As for the one handed gun nerfs, do one handed guns not drain extra energy if you use two of them or something? Oh wait, being able to use a flashlight AND a weapon at the same time in the new dark dungeons that's broken.

Does this nerf mean a one handed gun will not be able to kill 2 to 2.5 even tier hope-you-have-the-best-gun-for-your-biome enemies if you never miss? And instead only 1.5 to 2 enemies?

I'm sorry, I'm still just really hoping the combat/survivability "progression" situation works out but so far... :saddowns: All the other stuff is cool but I'm just really, really :spergin: on "Killed in two hits by common enemies on arrival to a new biome, forever. That's your combat progress" design.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shoehead posted:

The higher tech ones should do this at the very least and every bed/chair in the game needs to as well. Or remove the HP boosts and just tone down damage so you aren't resting for 30 seconds because you got hit once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of my beefs was that the game seemed to be trying to have way too much poo poo going on at one time so i'm honestly glad that the hunger crap is gone. arbitrary survival stats that do nothing but hurt you when they run out and don't even have gameplay elements to really back them up in a meaningful way are stupid as hell.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Section Z posted:

Hunger bar is gone so I will no longer hand to use a chair and dirt wall as a makeshift pause button? Nice.

More than that, a forced pause button every so often.

The food buff is a good idea; you're no longer being punished for not farming but being rewarded for farming if you want.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

one of my beefs was that the game seemed to be trying to have way too much poo poo going on at one time so i'm honestly glad that the hunger crap is gone. arbitrary survival stats that do nothing but hurt you when they run out and don't even have gameplay elements to really back them up in a meaningful way are stupid as hell.

Yeah I'm glad it is gone and never liked it.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

one of my beefs was the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm really disappointed that it took a day for that to happen because i knew it would

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So where is this game in development? I stopped following it like... a year ago? I remember there was still so much to be added and there would be character wipes I didn't want to get involved until it was finished.

Is it considered released proper now? Is it content complete? Reading the last few pages of the thread seem to indicate big changes are still occurring. It also seems to indicate popular opinion has swung real hard against this game, what happened?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Big update is in the works, but there's no announced ETA for that yet.

If you stopped following the game a year ago that would have been just after the beta release. There's still a bunch of stuff left to do, but the update will significantly be more polished and more fun than when you last played, and what's currently on the stable steam release.

If you want to keep up with progress, I'd suggest looking at the website. That's probably the best place right now for information, there's daily updates on what everyone's been working on.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Alternately, it hasn't had a stable release in 7 months and nothing has changed since you have last played.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Popular opinion is still pro-Starbound, it's just that most of the people who actually care about this game right now ditched the thread a while back and they're just waiting for an update. Thread's occupied by people just talking about what they show us on the blog and making fun of the game for the time being.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The people talking about how bad the game is are just doing it for the "Post online about how much Starbound sucks while having 100+ hours logged in-game" achievement.

PS: starbound is terrible and ate my baby.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if the nightly that we have right now was pushed as stable people would swing to the other side.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you mean "would swing to the other side and start ACTUALLY calling it bad" or "would swing to the other side and would stop ironically calling it bad"? Because really I'd prefer both to this eye-rolling unfunny limbo we are trapped in now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I think they should add some forum-themed biome with mobs appropriate to each. The SA biome should even get the secret forum sub biome just to piss people off.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Do you mean "would swing to the other side and start ACTUALLY calling it bad" or "would swing to the other side and would stop ironically calling it bad"? Because really I'd prefer both to this eye-rolling unfunny limbo we are trapped in now.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Right now starbound is bad but I think with some updates it can become good. The problem is the last stable update was seven months ago. People say to switch it to nightly but the last time I did that my starter planet didn't have any vines or plant matter and I got bored trying to dig towards a cave system to find some, Also I died a lot because I couldn't make any bandages or a bow to get food.

If you can't understand why people are hating on the game because of it then I don't know what to tell you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The nightly I played last week was pretty decent outside of obviously incomplete and placeholder content.

It also was amusingly more stable on my computer than the last "stable" branch release.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

It also was amusingly more stable on my computer than the last "stable" branch release.

Why is that funny. Is starbound some kind of joke to you

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Nightly releases is a good way to test things, but a poor way to play the game since it wipes your save daily.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Man Whore posted:

People say to switch it to nightly but the last time I did that my starter planet didn't have any vines or plant matter and I got bored trying to dig towards a cave system to find some, Also I died a lot because I couldn't make any bandages or a bow to get food.
I think it puts you on the same starter planet everytime now, with plenty vegetation and a cave entrance to the left close by.
But like Ahundredbux said, your saves get wiped everyday.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm really disappointed that it took a day for that to happen because i knew it would

I know, right? I'm usually too late to the party to make those jokes.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I made a post! death to the hunger bar! (cos it was bad)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, did we not learn about this a week ago? :psyduck:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Popular opinion is still pro-Starbound.

lol

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, did we not learn about this a week ago? :psyduck:

Kinda, this is a long post about what is replacing it instead.

Its true! Both people posting positively and negatively are all a minority in the grand scheme of things. Its crazy but most people dont post on message boards.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Kinda, this is a long post about what is replacing it instead.

Its true! Both people posting positively and negatively are all a minority in the grand scheme of things. Its crazy but most people dont post on message boards.

Don't touch the poop, Norn

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Its too late for me. Save yourself!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Magmarashi posted:

TOUCH IT NORN, TOUCH THE POOP! JOIN ME IN THE DARK SIDE.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

So where is this game in development? I stopped following it like... a year ago? I remember there was still so much to be added and there would be character wipes I didn't want to get involved until it was finished.

Is it considered released proper now? Is it content complete? Reading the last few pages of the thread seem to indicate big changes are still occurring. It also seems to indicate popular opinion has swung real hard against this game, what happened?

Nerds are terrible. The development build of the game gets literal daily patches, and has for months now, and the dev-blog updates approximately every other day. They're holding off until releasing a new 'Stable' build until everything is working properly, because they don't want to break mods every few weeks.

In spite of this, large swathes of the internet will tell you the game is dead, abandoned, and the studio have run off with their money and haven't worked on it in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Meanwhile other games have actually done that recently, but focusing on that wouldn't be very useful for grinding their troll achievement now would it?

• Locked thread