Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Cavenagh posted:

Cottage Pie

Chicken & Mushroom Risotto, Pumpkin Puree, Peas, Crispy Chicken Skin

Broccoflower Cheese

Casserole of Brats, Beans and Tomato.

Everything you posted looks incredible, and you are awesome...But, seconding the request for the recipe for the broccoli cauliflower business.

IslamoNazi posted:

Some Capy soup

D'awww

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Look, you made it on Thrillist, you're like famous now or something, congrats ;) http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/spiced-pumpkin-bourbon-recipe-by-spache-the-spatula

hope your blog can handle the bump in traffic!
Hah thanks, yeah that's actually where the AIDS comment came from... I think the food editor there follows my blog. She's posted a few things of mine, including this, yesterday:

It's delicious, despite what many people on their FB seem to think :argh: (gently caress, I need to be a whole lot better about handling internet hate, haha. I think I'm probably 100% too defensive, and take things 100% too seriously. First step is admitting it?)

I also made this:

It's my take on the Belgian carbonade flamande (with pumpkin porter and butternut squash). I fried the fries in a mixture of duck fat and veg oil, though I would have used all of the former if I had it.

And I made these last-minute zombie cookie for Halloween. I found the knives and eyes at the grocery store. The base is green velvet, then I made some quick royal icing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

sharkattack posted:

I also made this:

It's my take on the Belgian carbonade flamande (with pumpkin porter and butternut squash). I fried the fries in a mixture of duck fat and veg oil, though I would have used all of the former if I had it.

Ugh, I'm on the cusp of buying a deep fryer that I have no room for in my tiny kitchen and you people are going to push me over the edge.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tacier posted:

Ugh, I'm on the cusp of buying a deep fryer that I have no room for in my tiny kitchen and you people are going to push me over the edge.

Do like the big kids do and get a large pot (preferably cast iron) and a frying thermometer

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Tacier posted:

Steve Yun posted:

Do like the big kids do and get a large pot (preferably cast iron) and a frying thermometer
I've owned a mini deep fryer for like 7 years, and never once used it (no real reason why other than I own too many appliances and forget)...just used pot + thermometer, but HOOOOLY crap the mini deep fryer is the best thing ever: no fiddling with burners for oil temp regulation, you can fry more at once, it's adorable, less oil splatter (like none...), and just crazy easy to use.

Point is, I have no room for it either, but it's awesome and I would recommend, so doooo it. Peer pressure!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Dutch oven, dutch oven, dutch oven. That is all.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

IslamoNazi posted:

Some Capy soup

Where do you stick the thermometer to check if they're done

Right between the nozzin and the cuddlepooch obviously.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Albacore tuna sauteed on leek with a creme fraiche / pinot grigio sauce

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bosko posted:

All I wanted was green beans. Roasted for 40 minutes with garlic, thyme, rosemary, olive oil, salt/pepper

At what temperature did you roast these at to get them like that after 40 minutes? I had them at 150C and came back after half an hour to find they were probably over done with a couple that were burnt

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
My attempt at Ramen. Broth a little thick for sure, but drat it was quite tasty.

Blurry, but pork belly, a piggy leg, leeks, and green onions from the local asian market.

Boiled all that poo poo, plus some ginger, garlic, onions (god I hate onion, but there are few things I'll use them in) etc. for some time.

Ready to go. Mine is the one without the green onions (oh yeah, I hate them)

And here it is. Homemade noodles as well. Like I said, too thick of a broth, but it really was quite good. Astringent is the word that comes to mind? Probably just too sodiemy. (ignore my filthy floor, we're filthy.)

Pretty sure I'll buy noodles next time. They were good, but not what I was looking for.

OlyMike fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 9, 2014

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

RIP my diet.

Edit: oh god I used too much cookie dough and now I have enormous cinnamon roll sized cookies.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 9, 2014

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Tacier posted:

RIP my diet.

Edit: oh god I used too much cookie dough and now I have enormous cinnamon roll sized cookies.

Hahah, Awesome!
No those look about right---I used a 3 and 1/2 ounce ball of dough to make 'em. They are unreasonably large, and fully ridiculous :3:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Tacier posted:

RIP my diet.

Did they envelope the candy from the bottom?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Did they envelope the candy from the bottom?

The cookies are missing their tops in the before photo. You put a second disc of dough on top of the candy and pinch the edges shut.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I made Michael Rhulman's version of quiche lorraine (sp?) + spinach starting at 1:30 AM on a friday night for saturday brunch. Was good. Really good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gumbo and cornbread on a cold day.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

That is beautiful food.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

Nice job

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Casu Marzu posted:

Amazing... Do you have a recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tacier posted:

That is beautiful food.

:3: Thanks.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Amazing... Do you have a recipe?

4 ounces vegetable oil
4 ounces all-purpose flour
2 lb chicken bits
2 quarts water or stock
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced green peppers
4 minced garlic cloves
1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomato
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and browned
1 tablespoon file powder or 1/2 lb okra, sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process. (Or cook on the stove, whichever way you prefer)

Once the roux is done, carefully remove it from the oven and set over medium-high heat. Gently add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and cook, moving constantly for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent.

Add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves and stir to combine. Gradually add the stock while whisking continually and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and decrease the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 minutes. Pull the chicken, cool and shred.

Add the okra if using when the broth comes to a simmer or later in the cooking process depending how you like your okra.

When thickened to the consistency you like, turn off the heat, add the chicken and sausage and stir to combine. Add the file powder if using while stirring constantly. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve over rice.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process. (Or cook on the stove, whichever way you prefer)

I had never heard of baking a roux until just now. Apparently I don't cook Southern food enough. I should change that, because your gumbo looks delicious!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ayem posted:

I had never heard of baking a roux until just now. Apparently I don't cook Southern food enough. I should change that, because your gumbo looks delicious!

It works great if you have extra time. There's also a microwave method out there that works pretty well, I hear.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Absolutely stunning :worship:

paraquat posted:

a plate of pierogi, still had a batch in the freezer, they heat remarkably well..will definitely make them again

franco posted:

(and your pierogi look just as great a second time around - I really need to try them sometime soon)

Quite a while ago, but I finally got around to these. A bit of a fiddle on but they are so drat good - thanks so much for the recipe (it made a hell of a lot more than the 15 the recipe states but that's what freezers are for...)! :)

I also made rather unpretty Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa

Ultra-quick and easy and the salsa is heavenly (used all the leftovers the next day with chicken instead of the shrimp) :taco:

Jose posted:

At what temperature did you roast these at to get them like that after 40 minutes? I had them at 150C and came back after half an hour to find they were probably over done with a couple that were burnt

When I tried it I went at...about 170C I think? And 40 minutes was just perfect - crisping but no burning - they looked pretty much like OP's. You got a crazy over-hot oven? :iiam:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

franco posted:

Quite a while ago, but I finally got around to these. A bit of a fiddle on but they are so drat good - thanks so much for the recipe (it made a hell of a lot more than the 15 the recipe states but that's what freezers are for...)! :)

I also made rather unpretty Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa

Ultra-quick and easy and the salsa is heavenly (used all the leftovers the next day with chicken instead of the shrimp) :taco:

they look GREAT!
and trust me, they are even better from the freezer (because it takes so little time that way, haha, must make a new batch now!)
also love your tacos...your posts make me hungry

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sharkattack posted:

And I made these last-minute zombie cookie for Halloween. I found the knives and eyes at the grocery store. The base is green velvet, then I made some quick royal icing.

Those are awesome, love it. :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lovely pic this morning. Griddled cornbread, baked beans, crispy eggs, smoked pork shoulder.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
wanted breakfast, had NY strip, please critique

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steak not smothered in runny egg yolks, 1/10 would not eat

(looks terrific)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ayem posted:

My mom does the oven and sometimes microwave method, I like the stovetop method. I don't find that either really affects the flavor in the end though other than the flour / oil used.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

bread

mussels

beef stew over mashed potatoes, with some overly creamed spinach- though too much cream isn't a bad problem to have

franco
Jan 3, 2003

paraquat posted:

they look GREAT!
and trust me, they are even better from the freezer (because it takes so little time that way, haha, must make a new batch now!)
also love your tacos...your posts make me hungry

Thanks! :shobon:

I'm not part of the "OMG BACON IS LIFE!!!111" crew, but you are absolutely right about the bacon fat being the key - it was all I could do to not keep picking at the filling as I was assembling. I have a friend with whom I back and forth recipes and she liked the look of this one - I got a slew of messages the next day including "15 PIEROGIS MY rear end! I'M GOING TO BE HERE UNTIL THURSDAY MAKING THESE!" and "jesus this is torture" :laugh:. I DID warn her (haven't heard her count yet - I ended up with about 40)!

That is a beautiful loaf :drat:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Apple sharlotka for breakfast.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I need the recipe for this. It is just glorious.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Casu Marzu posted:

You and I aren't flatware-buddies anymore but I still see your pictures on my old china pattern and in my head I'm like, "drat, InEscape, you did good, I don't even remember you making that."

aka nice sharlotka

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kitiara posted:

I need the recipe for this. It is just glorious.

InEscape posted:

You and I aren't flatware-buddies anymore but I still see your pictures on my old china pattern and in my head I'm like, "drat, InEscape, you did good, I don't even remember you making that."

aka nice sharlotka

:3: thanks guys.

I always thought the same: "I don't remember making this?" :confuoot:

Smitten Kitchen posted:

Butter or nonstick spray, for greasing pan
6 large, tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
3 large eggs
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
Ground cinnamon, to finish
Powdered sugar, also to finish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan. Peel, halve and core your apples, then chop them into medium-sized chunks. (I cut each half into four “strips” then sliced them fairly thinly — about 1/4-inch — in the other direction.) Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs. Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.

Pour over apples in pan, using a spoon or spatula to spread the batter so that it covers all exposed apples. (Updated to clarify: Spread the batter and press it down into the apple pile. The top of the batter should end up level with the top of the apples.) Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out free of batter. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on rack, then flip out onto another rack, peel off the parchment paper, and flip it back onto a serving platter. Dust lightly with ground cinnamon.

Serve warm or cooled, dusted with powdered sugar. Alex’s family eats it plain, but imagine it would be delicious with a dollop of barely sweetened whipped or sour cream.

I ended up using like 8 apples, cooking it for like 75 minutes, and mixing the batter through a bit more thoroughly.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

I ended up using like 8 apples, cooking it for like 75 minutes, and mixing the batter through a bit more thoroughly.

Oh. My.

I think I will make this for Saturday breakfast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I made California maki rolls!

These are actually my second batch of sushi rolls ever, my first were earlier today (spam musubi rolls, also awesome). Why did nobody tell me making maki rolls is hideously easy? It's probably more annoying to make hamburgers for dinner. Now to hone my technique (lesson #1: wait for the rice to cool or you burn your hands and get ugly misshapen lumpy rolls).

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 13, 2014

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
If you get the rice right every single time, it's easy. I have a problem that there's no short grain, low gluten rice where i live, so it's kinda hard to get it right (or at all even).

Those rolls look gorgeous.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Thanks! I think I put too much sugar in the vinegar mix but the effort -> outcome was so low I didn't even care. Looking forward to having homemade sushi rolls for lunch at work (never paying six bucks for grocery store sushi again).

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I didn't get a chance to take pictures (my husband was so hungry, he practically leaped into the roasting pan), but I made a gorgeous roast chicken last night, with roasted yams and baby yellow potatoes, and a salad. It was delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Thanks! I think I put too much sugar in the vinegar mix but the effort -> outcome was so low I didn't even care. Looking forward to having homemade sushi rolls for lunch at work (never paying six bucks for grocery store sushi again).

Yup, grocery store sushi is INedible (except for the one big chain grocery store around here that has a bunch of japanese folders on display making the stuff and that tosses everything that doesn't get sold before the day is over...I'm not kidding...but they are waaaay overpriced)
And yes, the maki thing is easier than expected,

Your sushi look great, btw, lovely filling to rice ratio...maybe sharpen your knife before cutting next time? (although the tearing might be caused by your rice being too warm...oh well, that's not a taste thing anyway, sushi on young grasshopper! :-P

• Locked thread