Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

First Peggy Carter Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13W9gQ_1GA#t=118

Look pretty fuckin good to me.

Sort of like the 1940s version of Alias, then? Seems good to me. Who's in charge of running this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This weeks Gotham was awful and I have no idea if the creators want the audience to hate Barbara or what.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Arrow this week introduces their version of Brother Eye

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't we move past these offensive stereotypes?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

irlZaphod posted:

This weeks Gotham was awful and I have no idea if the creators want the audience to hate Barbara or what.

She is literally the dumbest person on TV.

Oh hey crazy mobsters want me and my boyfriend dead, but I got out of town so they can't get me. But I gotta go back, maybe I can reason with them, even though I have nothing to offer at all!

Even from a plot reasons it was dumb.

Lurdiak posted:

Can't we move past these offensive stereotypes?

Hot goth chick hackers?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Hot goth chick hackers?

I was making a Brother Voodoo joke, but you know what, yes, we really need to move past hot goth chick hackers.

gently caress you NCIS

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even Skye in AoS have been upgraded to "hacker who karates and shoot people". Maybe even more than that if it ever turns out she has super powers. Unless her superpower is hacking with her brain.

Coincidentally, Chris Hemsworth is playing a hacker in Michael Mann's new movie Blackhat. He's a hacker who is really buff and has military training.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

twistedmentat posted:

Hot goth chick hackers?

Felicity grew up just fine...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I was making a Brother Voodoo joke, but you know what, yes, we really need to move past hot goth chick hackers.

gently caress you NCIS

It's DOCTOR Voodoo now. He finished his PHD sometime during Dark Reign.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Felicity grew up just fine...

And we know at least where her choice in clothes comes from, like that dress she wore to Trivia Night in Central.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It's DOCTOR Voodoo now. He finished his PHD sometime during Dark Reign.

And we know at least where her choice in clothes comes from, like that dress she wore to Trivia Night in Central.

The Dark Reign Voodoo mini seemed to have him running a medical practice. Unfortunately that mini was the only real use of Voodoo as Sorceror Supreme

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Dark Reign Voodoo mini seemed to have him running a medical practice. Unfortunately that mini was the only real use of Voodoo as Sorceror Supreme

Dr Strange can't manage more then a miniseries every decade, Voodoo is z-list and an escapee from blaxploitation comics he got more then anybody expected.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

It took them three seasons but Arrow finally had the BOXING GLOVE ARROW tonight!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it took Flash six episodes to have Gorilla Grodd on screen.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Flash at least is getting right into things and not spending an entire season slightly ashamed of their source material.

For those who missed it

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 13, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Flash at least is getting right into things and not spending an entire season slightly ashamed of their source material.

For those who missed it

http://gfycat.com/HeftyEveryEarthworm

Entire season? What?! Season 1 of Arrow had Merlyn the Archer/Magician threaten the city with his Markovian Earthquake Machine while doing his best Ozymandias impression.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

For those who missed it

http://gfycat.com/HeftyEveryEarthworm

Haha that's actually a great way to do it. It's a thin line between good fan service and pandering but the CW DC shows walk that line very well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

For those who missed it

I'm so happy right now.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

Entire season? What?! Season 1 of Arrow had Merlyn the Archer/Magician threaten the city with his Markovian Earthquake Machine while doing his best Ozymandias impression.

Yeah I wouldn't say that Arrow was ever ashamed of the source material, it just took longer to establish the world. Flash has the bonus that Arrow has done the leg work in season 1 so it just starts crazy straight away.

Though then again Flash has shown god drat Gorilla Grodd on team, added Clancy Brown as a recurring villain and will have a Zoom punch out by end of the first season so it's going to surpass Arrow no matter what.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The MSJ posted:

Even Skye in AoS have been upgraded to "hacker who karates and shoot people". Maybe even more than that if it ever turns out she has super powers. Unless her superpower is hacking with her brain.

Speaking of which, Skye offhand mentioned having a hacker acquaintance named Micro who is really into crime scene photos. That made me grin.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another thing from the recent Agents of SHIELD episode for those who did not watch it is that they finally revealed what the symbols Coulson have been carving are about. It's possibly something from the comic books, the map of a city. Spoiler picture.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gavok posted:

Speaking of which, Skye offhand mentioned having a hacker acquaintance named Micro who is really into crime scene photos. That made me grin.

Yeah I wish Gotham would learn from AoS' "subtle" comic book references. Though it's not as bad as it was in the pilot with Kid Ivy...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah I wish Gotham would learn from AoS' "subtle" comic book references. Though it's not as bad as it was in the pilot with Kid Ivy...

At least they've stopped this bit:

"You look like a penguin"

Penguin: "STOP SAYING THAT ARRRRGGGHH"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Another thing from the recent Agents of SHIELD episode for those who did not watch it is that they finally revealed what the symbols Coulson have been carving are about. It's possibly something from the comic books, the map of a city. Spoiler picture.

Honestly, I don't think anyone who posts in BSS will be surprised that Coulson and Kraken are looking for Attilan. Nice that they're letting the show do the legwork to set up a movie, instead of waiting for a movie to do the legwork of making the show interesting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The MSJ posted:

Coincidentally, Chris Hemsworth is playing a hacker in Michael Mann's new movie Blackhat. He's a hacker who is really buff and has military training.

Skye doesn't really Karate people, she can shoot, but poo poo, you could teach anyone to be a decent shot given how much time she's been around people who are very proficient with guns.

Her skill fighting level is probably only like one or maybe two levels above YCMA self defense class. only time she has successfully CQC'd someone is when they were completely underestimating her.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I'm pretty convinced now that Skye is Quake and Kyle MacLachlan is Mr Hyde so she'll have earthquake powers eventually

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Dexo posted:

Skye doesn't really Karate people, she can shoot, but poo poo, you could teach anyone to be a decent shot given how much time she's been around people who are very proficient with guns.

Her skill fighting level is probably only like one or maybe two levels above YCMA self defense class. only time she has successfully CQC'd someone is when they were completely underestimating her.

She's also cold as poo poo now. I think I've said "drat Skye!" at least 3-4 times this season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I wouldn't say that Arrow was ever ashamed of the source material, it just took longer to establish the world. Flash has the bonus that Arrow has done the leg work in season 1 so it just starts crazy straight away.

Though then again Flash has shown god drat Gorilla Grodd on team, added Clancy Brown as a recurring villain and will have a Zoom punch out by end of the first season so it's going to surpass Arrow no matter what.

Zoom apparently is introed in the Christmas episode.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mikeraskol posted:

She's also cold as poo poo now. I think I've said "drat Skye!" at least 3-4 times this season.

Skye became a legitimately good character once they ditched the native newcomer and social activist bullcrap. All of the main characters significantly improved and I say, it's mostly because they decided to drop the incredible bland stereotypes we started out with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e X posted:

Skye became a legitimately good character once they ditched the native newcomer and social activist bullcrap. All of the main characters significantly improved and I say, it's mostly because they decided to drop the incredible bland stereotypes we started out with.

Hmmm so it's almost like the show developed and improved over time and maybe the endless bitching and whining about it were premature.

TNG would've never survived the Internet era.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

zoux posted:

Hmmm so it's almost like the show developed and improved over time and maybe the endless bitching and whining about it were premature.

The bitching and whining about the show being bad when it was bad was...premature?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We would have been better off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

The bitching and whining about the show being bad when it was bad was...premature?

People expect shows to be incredible from day one and don't give writers and actors time to develop. I guess premature was the wrong word, but the level of vitriol directed at the show and the way SHIELD bashing would infect any topic remotely related to comic book shows was way out of proportion.

Aphrodite posted:

We would have been better off.

But then no DS9 (another show that had a terrible first season).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

zoux posted:

People expect shows to be incredible from day one and don't give writers and actors time to develop. I guess premature was the wrong word, but the level of vitriol directed at the show and the way SHIELD bashing would infect any topic remotely related to comic book shows was way out of proportion.

Maybe it was out of proportion, I don't really know, but it's not like SHIELD had a rough first two or three episodes and then got into the groove. The vast majority of the first season was dire. People gave it a lot of chances.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mikeraskol posted:

The best was when Ward was showing all the different ways he tried to commit suicide with the last one being running headfirst into the wall.

"You should have run faster."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

AoS was super dull for a very long time, like most of Season 1. I think AoS got a heavier barrage of criticism (both fair and not) sent its way was because the audience who watched the show, I think, simply expected more from it, and wanted it to get there sooner than later (also, genre fans are nothing if not happy to complain). Clark Gregg, god bless him, held that show together with nearly nothing but goodwill. Whether because of budget, trying to figure out what buttons they could push now without ruining them for later (i.e., introducing Marvel characters/objects/locations), or whatever, the team, which while sort-of-plucky, rarely did interesting things and locked themselves inside that drat plane entirely too long (Agents of SEALED, amirite?). It wasn't until the creators basically threw everything out, it became engaging television, and good on them for doing so.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 13, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought they were hamstrung by the Cap 2 stuff.

I mean, I watched the first couple of episodes and was like, "Yeah, this is a total binge show, I'll wait until it comes out on Netflix".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

TNG would've never survived the Internet era.

Nope. They basically dropped the entire social activist/hacker angle from her character and turned her into what she should have been from day one: a rookie agent with a specialization in computers.

And how can criticizing a show when it is bad be premature? That is honestly, a pretty weird idea. It's not like the first couple of episodes are actually better in retrospective. If an episode was bad, I don't see what's wrong with saying it was bad, just because next weeks episode might be good. There is really no guarantee that any given show will improve at all. And Aos basically had a consecutive run of 16 bad episodes in row.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 13, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

But then no DS9 (another show that had a terrible first season).

I'm okay with that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There's a difference between having a new show be a tiny bit rough around the edges as everyone (including writers) find settle into the chemistry with each other and find the proper voices, and flat out boring story telling.

Regardless of the restrictions placed on AoS during the first season, the story telling was bland and all of the "vitriol" directed at the show was always about how bland it was, not that it was the worst show in TV history. The only exaggerated responses I've seen consistently are from people defending the first season, at least on this website.

I find it strange how the defensive people are so defensive about people wanting the like the show more and wishing it was better. Which it totally is now! Go figure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

ToastyPotato posted:

There's a difference between having a new show be a tiny bit rough around the edges as everyone (including writers) find settle into the chemistry with each other and find the proper voices, and flat out boring story telling.

Regardless of the restrictions placed on AoS during the first season, the story telling was bland and all of the "vitriol" directed at the show was always about how bland it was, not that it was the worst show in TV history. The only exaggerated responses I've seen consistently are from people defending the first season, at least on this website.

I find it strange how the defensive people are so defensive about people wanting the like the show more and wishing it was better. Which it totally is now! Go figure!

I'm also perplexed by the notion that somehow the show getting better justifies the weak start. Or even more bizarre, this weird idea that the show sucking at first and then getting better over time makes it better than if it was just good from the beginning. Like the show itself, not the story or characters, needed some kind of "arc".

Like everyone knows there's no unwritten rule that stories must be dull and terrible at the beginning, right? Shows like Flash and Sleepy Hollow should be more than enough proof of that.