Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrBling posted:

RFID chip in the wrist. Triggers the music automatically when they run out.

Okay, Mr. Science, how does UT get the lights to go off every time, and get the GONGGGGG sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The wrestlers intimidate the sound guy, like how referees used to be 90 pound weaklings that fell to the ground at the drop of a hat to make the wrestlers look even bigger.

This was pretty much my train of thought when I was younger.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Red posted:

Okay, Mr. Science, how does UT get the lights to go off every time, and get the GONGGGGG sound?

Well The Undertaker is a wizard.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Or there is a area in between the Gorilla Position and the locker room and so when someone does a run in one of the many headset wearing WWE employees just tells the sound guy to hit their music. This is what I assumed when I was a kid at least.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The little doohickey in the boots is outdated. It'd be ideal if it didn't begin every theme with "Now, ENTERING THE TITANTROOOOOON!".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Well The Undertaker is a wizard.

I thought he was a cowboy zombie.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

sticklefifer posted:

I always figured the RFID was in their boots, but sometimes they wear their stealth boots instead. Otherwise it implies every sneak attack run-in without music has someone digging hunks of electronics out of their flesh. :gonk:

They're probably doing this anyway in fear of the day that Vince reveals his WWEChip killswitch and Raw is just the storyline of Metal Gear Solid 4.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Two unrelated questions:

1. Has Tyson Dux ever been given a serious look from WWE and why didn't he go anywhere?

2. Have any Japanese orgs ever been interested in CM Punk? Not so much now but maybe during his pre-WWE days?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

bobkatt013 posted:

Will there be a Punchsport Pagoda secret santa this year?

I asked Grody and he said he'd host it again. Pretty sure thread is coming soon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How many people flip flopped between WWF and WCW before they closed? Off the top of my head I know: Steiner Brothers, Ric Flair, Big Bossman and Jeff Jarrett (who I think did it twice?) and X-pac. What was their reasoning?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Two unrelated questions:

1. Has Tyson Dux ever been given a serious look from WWE and why didn't he go anywhere?

2. Have any Japanese orgs ever been interested in CM Punk? Not so much now but maybe during his pre-WWE days?

Punk did a Zero-One tour. And Dux has had dark matches, I imagine his size got in the way (he's semi retired now, although he recently wrestled Shinsuke Nakamura when NJPW came to Canada). He's only about 5'10 according to Wikipedia, which also lists Daniel Bryan at that height.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many people flip flopped between WWF and WCW before they closed? Off the top of my head I know: Steiner Brothers, Ric Flair, Big Bossman and Jeff Jarrett (who I think did it twice?) and X-pac. What was their reasoning?

Sid
Road Warriors (twice)
Luna Vachon
Davey Boy Smith (three times)
Goldust (twice)
Terry Funk, although he was in ECW for a few years

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Their reasoning was da monayyyyy

Well Flair left WCW cause he hated the new management and they basically ran him out of the company. Then in WWF his run with Hogan didn't go as well as planned, and he went back down south to Flair Country.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

EugeneJ posted:

Sid
Road Warriors (twice)
Luna Vachon
Davey Boy Smith (three times)
Goldust (twice)
Terry Funk, although he was in ECW for a few years

And Arn Anderson - he and Tully flipped to the WWF as the BrainBusters, but only Arn flopped back to NWA/WCW, Tully didn't make the jump back due to being caught white-nosed with in a positive cocaine test.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
When Owen Hart died was there any kind of tribute or comment about it on the following night's Nitro? was Bret still competing at the time?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chewy Bitems posted:

When Owen Hart died was there any kind of tribute or comment about it on the following night's Nitro? was Bret still competing at the time?

Tony acknowledged it and they showed a graphic, but apparently they were asked not to talk about it on air. Sting was scheduled to drop from the rafters but refused out of respect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
There was also a great Bret/name retracted match.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chewy Bitems posted:

Bret had actually been booked as a guest on Leno the night after Owen's death (he cancelled). Not sure if Nitro acknowledged it that night, but on a later episode Bret and Benoit did what was explicitly billed as an Owen tribute match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The first time he tried to get in, WCW had just merged and there weren't any spots. Later he worked for WWE for two years without a contract, but on the day they were going to sign him, Mark Jindrak busted his knee. Being small and soft-spoken probably didn't help. Check out his Art of Wrestling interview.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jerry Lawler personally prevented Tyson Dux from being signed by feuding with the Miz.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Red posted:

He was pretty much the perfect formula for the WWE to reach the Latino audience: Mask, charisma, promo ability, great worker, unique appeal, high value as an "attraction", and came from a Lucha background. They won't find another Mysterio for a while.

At a Smackdown taping here in San Diego, we got Eddie vs. Edge in a ladder match and Rey vs. Brock in a title match. Eddie, despite being the heel, was cheered like a face the whole time and a spontaneous chant of his name broke out after the match, even though he lost. If Rey would have won the title, the roof would have come off the loving building. Mexicans really, REALLY love their wrestlers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

(King) Haku didn't do a whole lot in the WWF besides being a fake king and tagging with Andre, and he went to go be Meng in WCW. I want to say he ended up having some sort of deal without a contract, where he was literally working on a handshake deal, and WCW put their hardcore title on him.

So he jumped to the WWF to work alongside heel Rikishi and fight Kane and Undertaker.

Edit: Wait, was Haku one of The Islanders? I only remember Tama.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

I asked Grody and he said he'd host it again. Pretty sure thread is coming soon.

Yeah I'm launching the thread after UFC 180.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Red posted:

Edit: Wait, was Haku one of The Islanders? I only remember Tama.

Yeah - he was pretty active in the mid-late 80's tag scene in the WWF. His team with Andre ended when Andre beat the tar out of him to turn face.

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 14, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i don't remember Haku's 2001-2002 WWF run at all

bartok
May 10, 2006

Spermgod posted:

i don't remember Haku's 2001-2002 WWF run at all

I remember him getting no response when he debuted during the Rumble. I think he also teamed with Rikishi and they were frequently jobbed out to the Brothers of Destruction.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also a great Bret/name retracted match.

I remember it sparked a huge rating boost for that nitro but of course they couldnt maintain it. God forbid they actually have wrestling on their show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got a couple

1: Are there any big video libraries of old promotions that the WWE still doesn't own yet?

2: I have been watching a few of the ECW Hardcore TVs. Most them are basically clip shows of previous shows. are the old ECW events from the early 90s available in their entirety at all or is it just the Hardcore TVs?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Memphis is the biggest one they're missing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BigRed0427 posted:

2: I have been watching a few of the ECW Hardcore TVs. Most them are basically clip shows of previous shows. are the old ECW events from the early 90s available in their entirety at all or is it just the Hardcore TVs?

A lot of them were available on VHS. WWE started uploading some to the Network but you'd have to... obtain the rest if you want them.

I think Cornette's been trying to figure out the rights situation with Lawler about the Memphis library since at this point his 30 year old tape collection is the Memphis masters as a lot of the original tapes were wiped or degraded.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 14, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
isn't half of WCCW under contention/owned by some random people who don't give a poo poo?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was gonna ask this in the Network thread after Big Show stepping on a table but:

Has Big Show ever not totally sucked in WWE? I remember kind of liking The Giant in WCW, but I feel like he's been a total wash in WWE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerishow and Showmiz were fun tag team runs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Big Show was funny imitating other wrestlers 14 years ago.

Big Show was a good opponent for Brock Lesnar after beating him once and then losing to him 500 times in a row.

Big Show was good last year when HHH was making fun of him and people wanted Show to knock him out.

See, lots of times!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was gonna ask this in the Network thread after Big Show stepping on a table but:

Has Big Show ever not totally sucked in WWE? I remember kind of liking The Giant in WCW, but I feel like he's been a total wash in WWE.

He had a really good feud with the Undertaker in 2008.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRafTer posted:

Jerry Lawler personally prevented Tyson Dux from being signed by feuding with the Miz.

I give this post *****

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Big Show was fun as ECW champ just demolishing everyone. And then there was the Mayweather feud.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah Mayweather feud was peak Show

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

epitasis posted:

oh yeah Mayweather feud was peak Show

That was really fun once WWE realized that in NO way should Floyd Mayweather be a face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Speaking of the WWE tape library; did they ever get the World Of Sport stuff? I seem to remember that they weretgoing after it.