Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

king money in rural flyover is like 4th percentile in the valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sf is diverse? 70% men is diverse?

sv is diverse?

lmfao

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
"hmm, this town is proud to have been a sundown town, let's use that legacy to attract tech companies"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
SF - we have homeless people of every race!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tech is literally the least diverse thing please dont use it as a chip in favor of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

king money in rural flyover is like 40th percentile in the valley
no it's not, it's "you sit in the same lovely traffic as everyone else and shop and eat at the same 10 terrible places as everyone else but your car and house are slightly nicer than average" money

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
yeah you drive an audi a4 instead of a camry but still live 45 minutes away from work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its particularly funny because big cities have staggeringly undiverse shopping options because the only people that can afford to open stores are megachains

if your commute is poo poo thats you'r own fuckin idiot fault

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

no it's not, it's "you sit in the same lovely traffic as everyone else and shop and eat at the same 10 terrible places as everyone else but your car and house are slightly nicer than average" money

no we're talking about after you got a few figures in the bank and you're not working with or otherwise having to deal with the plebe rat race any more

you don't go to work, you WFH or fly out for jobs

beautiful smoky ozark mountaintop is 10k an acre for the actual plot, and the poo poo acreage you buy up by the hundreds to create a protective barrier ring is usually between 500 and 1k an acre, lower im bulk.

you go down to the nearest town, wherever the mail says you live, buy them a stoplight or repave the school parking lot, boom you are now a feudal lord

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bloody posted:

its particularly funny because big cities have staggeringly undiverse shopping options because the only people that can afford to open stores are megachains

says the man who has apparently never set foot in an actual city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i live in the middle of downtown boston, debatably an actual city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

omg look a macys and an h&m and a walgreens, how diverse and local!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

omg there's a gap and a banana republic too! and did you hear they're opening a uniqlo???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, i guess if you just ignore every non chain local owned store then there are only huge chains to shop at in the city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

large cities suck rear end, i yearn for small to medium sized cities. too bad there's no jobs in them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

infernal machines posted:

yes, i guess if you just ignore every non chain local owned store then there are only huge chains to shop at in the city

my liquor store is in chinatown and it sucks rear end

very authentic though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

omg there's a gap and a banana republic too! and did you hear they're opening a uniqlo???

except uniqlo is great

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

except uniqlo is great

for idiots

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think I could happily live anywhere where there wasn't a good asian market right nearby

I need my korean bbq sauce

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
"yeah san francisco is just a white washed town, no good food, just fast food and big boxes stores everywhere"

- someone who has literally never been to san francisco

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

large cities suck rear end, i yearn for small to medium sized cities. too bad there's no jobs in them

wow you must really like to gently caress retirees picked up at the applebee's bar

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

i live in the middle of downtown boston, debatably an actual city

Bloody posted:

omg look a macys and an h&m and a walgreens, how diverse and local!

Bloody posted:

If this is all your city has going for it then sorry but your city sucks idiot

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

for idiots

zounds i am undone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

yeah id much rather stay in sf and pay a billion dollars in cost of living than move somewhere nicer thats vastly more affordable *faaaaart*

Haha yeah let's go live in Charlottesville, Virginia instead!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Trashman posted:

it truely does

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

t.o.'s chinatown is pretty sw8

don't get me wrong, national chains exist here. if you really want to you can go to the mall and shop at them.

but it's trivially easy to do 100% of your shopping without ever setting foot in one. hell, i don't even need to leave the neighbourhood except to buy clothes, and that's just because i'm picky

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

"yeah san francisco is just a white washed town, no good food, just fast food and big boxes stores everywhere"

- someone who has literally never been to san francisco

this could also be someone who went to union square, the wharf then rode the stupid hop on/hop off bus all day

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i hear buffalo, ny is the best city for business in america!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trashman posted:

your city's a sucker.

my city's a creep

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
did you know the buffalo is opening it's first "gastropub" in late 2015?

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

Luckily San Francisco is a small city of under a million. Lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

costs 10x as much to live there as pittsburgh, a city i would rather live in

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

buffalo has the world's saddest downtown, I had coffee at a timho's that closed at 6:30

they do have an outpost of dinosaur bbq tho

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
yeah i've been to pittsburgh, it is a shithole and no matter how much tori insanely raves about it, it's a bad bad place full of bad bad people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Luckily San Francisco is a small city of under a million. Lol

new orleans has half the population and twice the area with locals who successfully fight to have chain businesses removed

also unlike SF you can actually buy food after midnight there

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i went to ub and lived in buffalo for years, the place is the saddest place. the subway line doesn't go up into the white parts of the city, but other than that it is p. good. well i mean the last line runs at 7pm on weekdays and not at all on weekends. some of my friends still live there and it's just the saddest thing.

they post about tech incubators and how they're trying to attract start ups and the pics from the event are a bunch of white haired people in full suit and tie with black dress shoes sitting around a boardroom table with crystal jugs of water and a projector that just says "INNOVATE" on it. and he'll be like "buffalo is getting it's first craft beer bar next year! happy to have reviewed the menu and yes it DOES have wings on it!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

new orleans has half the population and twice the area with locals who successfully fight to have chain businesses removed

plus, a police force that really knows how to prioritize

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

yeah i've been to pittsburgh, it is a shithole and no matter how much tori insanely raves about it, it's a bad bad place full of bad bad people

It's actually a good good place full of good good people.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

all yosposters move to Pittsburgh, we will rent a big nerd house

jonny can be the arbiter of our internal justice, like in the wolf among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Oh yeah, NO is a lot smaller than Pittsburgh.

• Locked thread