Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don't forget the ever popular the-cover-doesn't-happen-in-the-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Don't forget the ever popular the-cover-doesn't-happen-in-the-issue.

Cover: Hulk Fighting the Avengers
Issue: Banner and Tony talk.

Is still my favorite.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is still my favorite.

The best is one of Millar's issues of Marvel Knights Spider-Man where the X-Men are on the god drat cover of the book and their actual appearance is just them, in civilian clothes, on a loving subway in the background of a superhero fight or some poo poo like that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

So I guess Spider-UK survives Spider-Verse and is done in by an incursion. Poor guy.

Maybe if he had a more creative name he would have fared better. Talk about Parker luck

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

Maybe if he had a more creative name he would have fared better. Talk about Parker luck

Shoulda been Spider-Chap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The recent X-Men cover with X-23 kissing young Cyclops was hilarious because so many people got mad, and then nothing happened.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

The recent X-Men cover with X-23 kissing young Cyclops was hilarious because so many people got mad, and then nothing happened.

I thought that was changed due to Cyclops going on space adventures with his space pirate dad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sad they didn't roll with that and didn't see Logan's reaction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just pick any of the thousands of existing panels of him gritting his teeth and pretend it's about that, you'll be in the ballpark.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Just pick any of the thousands of existing panels of him gritting his teeth and pretend it's about that, you'll be in the ballpark.

I'd like to think it would be funnier than that, with both Logan and older Scott totally weirded out by it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is still my favorite.

My personal favorite is one of Bendis' later Avengers issues with Storm in a "This Ends Now" pose. In the actual issue, Storm gets K.O.'d like immediately after showing up by some goons with shrinking powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shoulda been Spider-Chap.

Or Spider-Bloke.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

The New Avengers #30 cover looks so cool but I almost don't want to know what bad stuff happened to all those Captain Britains. :ohdear:

Also, poor Spider-Britain!

Nice touch getting Alan Davis to do it, too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
To be fair we KNOW the corp was pretty much destroyed, we just haven't SEEN it yet.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if the Captain Britains attempted something like what Hyperion, Thor, Starbrand and the Ex Nihilos are planning on doing and went to try and fight the cause of the incursions only to have it not really work out for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember how in the old Captain Britain comics, Roma and Saturnyne had a device that enabled them to completely erase an entire universe from the omniverse? That would probably come in handy for dealing with incursions...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder if the Captain Britains attempted something like what Hyperion, Thor, Starbrand and the Ex Nihilos are planning on doing and went to try and fight the cause of the incursions only to have it not really work out for them.
There was a Capt. Britain Corps. Academy recently wasn't there? Seems like a place to launch an incursion-fighting group from to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

They at least had the smarts to include a panel of Laura looking sad after he left. Then she shacks up with Angel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, I think my favorite part of that is that alternate/What If? Spider-Men always eat it, so they kept that theme going. I hope he shows up in the issue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how in one of the Civil War What Ifs? he gets killed and Gyrich pulls off his mask and goes "whos this?" and his flunky says "Some kid, who cares?".

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
Anyone reading the new Might Avengers? Issue #1 is pretty cool. I have no idea what's going on in Axis though...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Psychlone posted:

Anyone reading the new Might Avengers? Issue #1 is pretty cool. I have no idea what's going on in Axis though...

You clearly live in a much better world than I do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress this Axis poo poo, it's awful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

I like how in one of the Civil War What Ifs? he gets killed and Gyrich pulls off his mask and goes "whos this?" and his flunky says "Some kid, who cares?".

There's also the What If: Siege issue where Venom is kicking the poo poo out of Spider-Man and Osborn's like, "Wait, wait, wait. I just want to see something." *unmasks Spider-Man* "Huh. As you were."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't forget when this happened to the Flash.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It also happened to Spider-Man in 616, in one of the JMS era spin-offs (maybe the one Millar wrote, but I'm not sure). Electro puts him in the hospital and he's abducted from his room by the Vulture, who unmasks him and basically goes, "All these years, you've been beating me and all my friends... any you're nobody. Boy, this is depressing."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was Millar. Who woulda thought he could write some good Spider-Man comics?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Die Laughing posted:

That was Millar. Who woulda thought he could write some good Spider-Man comics?
Not me, and I still don't.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Or Spider-Bloke.

Or Spider-Manchester

Or Spider-(Isle of) Mann...he'd have a good excuse to have a spider motorcycle then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also the goofy scene in Ultimate Spider-Man where Black Cat takes off Peter's mask and flips out because he's like 15.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

They at least had the smarts to include a panel of Laura looking sad after he left. Then she shacks up with Angel.

loving Bendis. Why is she even in that book?

She should have stayed with the Avengers but nooooooo, all mutants MUST be in an X-Men book.

I miss Avengers Academy. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Men is an improvement from where she was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis saved her from the Avengers Arena/Undercover stuff.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

She should have stayed with the Avengers but nooooooo, all mutants MUST be in an X-Men book.

Scarlet Witch
Sunspot
Cannonball
Manifold
Daisy Johnson
Franklin Richards
Beast like half the time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gavok posted:

There's also the What If: Siege issue where Venom is kicking the poo poo out of Spider-Man and Osborn's like, "Wait, wait, wait. I just want to see something." *unmasks Spider-Man* "Huh. As you were."

I though Osborne knew Peter was Spider-man in recent years but didn't care. I don't know where I got that idea.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

twistedmentat posted:

I though Osborne knew Peter was Spider-man in recent years but didn't care. I don't know where I got that idea.

He did but there was the whole One More Day mess which made everyone forget that Spider-man was Peter.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

One More Day.

e: beaten like every alt-universe spidey

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Web Jew.0 posted:

Scarlet Witch
Sunspot
Cannonball
Manifold
Daisy Johnson
Franklin Richards
Beast like half the time

Sunspot is even leading the Avengers, and owns AIM.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

Oh very much the opposite. Osborn cares a great deal about the fact.

One of my favourite things that happened in Civil War was after Peter revealed his Identity and it cuts to how his different villains react. And most of them are like "huh>"

Otto (who is pumping iron at the time) is just baffled at how a teenager was able to repeatedly school him.

But the best is Norman. Who is watching the thing while under armed guard at a SHIELD facility. And he's apoplectic with rage, because "that's not how the game is supposed to work!"
Norman is a huge control freak, and valued knowing Peter's secret. It gives him another weapon to use against him. But the more people who know it, the less valuable it becomes.

After One More Day, Norman couldn't remember Peter's ID, but he knows that he's supposed to know the Identity. (which is something that is just likely to drive him even crazier.)
But I took it that if he ever did find out about the Identity, he'd get over not knowing about it really quickly.

Think of it this way. Imagine someone asked you who was the girl who played the Terminator in Sarah Connor Chronicles. And you can't quite remember the answer, but you can picture her. You'd be driven mad trying to remember it, but as soon as you are told the answer, then all the pressure goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is still my favorite.

To be fair, I found that talk to be a wonderful read.

• Locked thread