Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Touché.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Red Crown posted:

Or maybe that it's a grand conspiracy and that the West is meddling in Ukraine so that we can put pressure on Russia

The Kremlin would have the people believe it's all our fault because we engineered the overthrow of the legitimate government and replaced the Moscow favorite with fascists and Bandera-ists and don't you see they had to think of the children Russophones.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
My favorite part of that "satellite" image is that if you scale it, the Boeing 777-300ER is just a skosh longer than the runway of the airport in that view...but for the hell of it, let's call it even. The B777-300ER is 242 feet long. The primary runway at Donetsk International Airport is 13,123'

Using 240' and 13,000' for simplicity, and assuming that MH17 was cruising at a standard altitude of 33,000 feet, to achieve visual proportions like that, the "satellite's" camera would have had to be positioned roughly 600 feet above MH17. (which gives it an impressive field of view, if nothing else!)

Quite aside from any image analysis of whether the livery says "Boeing" or seeing if its composite images from a video game, the geometry of the image makes it literally impossible for this to be satellite footage. There's no room for interpretation there whatsoever. It's 100% impossible, with no room for argument.

And yet people will still believe it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CarterUSM posted:

Putin will have his friend and "American military expert" Steven Seagal analyze the satellite image and definitively confirm that it was the Ukrainian Air Force that did 9/11 too.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Man, this whole Western conspiracy to overthrow the legitimate government of Ukraine makes me mad enough to launch a naval exercise.

Image purports to be a Sovremmenny-I destroyer launching a P-270 Moskit, AKA SS-N-22 Sunburn, during an exercise off Kamchatka this year. I don't know about the time/place, but that sure looks like the right missile.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wow thats gotta suck for anyone on the deck.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A good opinion piece on the eternal dumpster fire that is Canadian Procurement.

Tories’ love for the military is all hat, no cattle

Highlight:

quote:

For reasons that defy logic and the Conservatives’ own repeated promises, the F-35 Lightning II sole-source program is still twitching, requiring only a jolt of electricity from cabinet’s operations committee to set it staggering once again onto the political stage. The latest is a leaked Pentagon slide, entitled Canadian Aircraft Options Current Status, indicating a plan for Canada to buy four of the planes imminently. “Congressional notification letter being staffed through the F-35 Joint Program Office,” reads the Oct. 27 slide, citing timing of mid-November.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Agean90 posted:

Wow thats gotta suck for anyone on the deck.

Upper decks are usually out of bounds during missile shoots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ruse posted:

http://m.break.com/video/idiot-nearly-launched-by-missile-646547

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

CarterUSM posted:

My favorite part of that "satellite" image is that if you scale it, the Boeing 777-300ER is just a skosh longer than the runway of the airport in that view...but for the hell of it, let's call it even. The B777-300ER is 242 feet long. The primary runway at Donetsk International Airport is 13,123'

Using 240' and 13,000' for simplicity, and assuming that MH17 was cruising at a standard altitude of 33,000 feet, to achieve visual proportions like that, the "satellite's" camera would have had to be positioned roughly 600 feet above MH17. (which gives it an impressive field of view, if nothing else!)

Quite aside from any image analysis of whether the livery says "Boeing" or seeing if its composite images from a video game, the geometry of the image makes it literally impossible for this to be satellite footage. There's no room for interpretation there whatsoever. It's 100% impossible, with no room for argument.

That was an extremely clever bit of math, and reverse-engineering the problem in order to check your answer was a very satisfying experience. It is, as you say, a convincing proof; it may not convince everyone, for any number of reasons, but it may perhaps convince some.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

The video is too grainy to tell, but my heart tells me that the name on the stern is "COWPENS" :v:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

If dashcam videos have taught me anything, it's that Russians are not known for either giving a poo poo or valuing human lives.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Don Gato posted:

If dashcam videos have taught me anything, it's that armored vehicles spook from the bushes in Russia and dash across the road about as frequently as white-tail in the USA

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Nebakenezzer posted:

A good opinion piece on the eternal dumpster fire that is Canadian Procurement.

Tories’ love for the military is all hat, no cattle

Highlight:

Am I reading the wiki page right, and Canadian Air Force only has 77 older CF-18 fighters in active duty? That seems like a very small number if you consider that Canada's territory is huge and Finland for example has ~60 F-18s. Most of the small Scandinavian countries have around 50-60 modern fighters.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OhYeah posted:

Am I reading the wiki page right, and Canadian Air Force only has 77 older CF-18 fighters in active duty? That seems like a very small number if you consider that Canada's territory is huge and Finland for example has ~60 F-18s. Most of the small Scandinavian countries have around 50-60 modern fighters.

Yes, add to that there are only 2 bases for the CF-18s too, one in northern Alberta and the other in Quebec. It's a lot of border to potentially cover from those two spots.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

priznat posted:

Yes, add to that there are only 2 bases for the CF-18s too, one in northern Alberta and the other in Quebec. It's a lot of border to potentially cover from those two spots.

What's the deal then? I mean it's not like Canada is a very poor, developing country. Might just as well have USAF bases in Canada and call it a day.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
It's almost like America is the only actual functional military in the world or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

OhYeah posted:

What's the deal then? I mean it's not like Canada is a very poor, developing country. Might just as well have USAF bases in Canada and call it a day.

That's a huuuuuuge topic but a lot of it is due to being right next to the US and getting a bit of a free ride as far as defense is concerned.

Public thinking on the military in Canada oscillates wildly between "why do we need one?" To "peacekeeping tradition!" To "ARE TROOPS" (where we are now after the events of the past week). When the military isn't being ignored completely, that is.

Previous govts have let the rust out continue without much hullabaloo but the current govt is especially infuriating because they talk tough on defense while gutting support for veterans and making some really terrible procurement decisions (F-35 circus, allowing the cyclone fiasco to continue, big issues with the ship building contracts).

This is all from my observation from an interested outsider, I definitely don't have any special knowledge on it. But I can't even recall the last govt that hasn't hosed over the military in Canada. Probably before my time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RavenKrows posted:

It's almost like America is the only actual functional military in the world or something.
Plenty of western militaries are functional. They just function on a exponentially smaller scale.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

This is all from my observation from an interested outsider, I definitely don't have any special knowledge on it. But I can't even recall the last govt that hasn't hosed over the military in Canada. Probably before my time.

I know that Canada had Leopard 1s as Trudeau made some sort of trade deal with Germany and the Leopards were a side benefit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

evil_bunnY posted:

Plenty of western militaries are functional. They just function on a exponentially smaller scale.

A scale so small that only if they're combined can they function for a matter of days. Singly, no, as a general rule.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know that Canada had Leopard 1s as Trudeau made some sort of trade deal with Germany and the Leopards were a side benefit.

Probably was ordering a new Porsche pimpmobile and the tanks were throw ins.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OhYeah posted:

The Swedish air force operated almost 300 Viggens well into the 90's, but well, "neutral" and all that, so not exactly comparable. These days we're supposed to have 100 Gripen C/D on paper but I'm pretty sure not all of those are actually in service. For the next generation we're supposed to get 70 Gripen E; originally it was 60 but they added 10 more recently because of the old Russian arch-nemesis starting to rattle sabres like it's 1699. A lot of old school people (and quite a few new school ones as well) are very upset about both that and the lack of dispersed basing and are talking a lot about The Good Old Days.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TheFluff posted:

The Swedish air force operated almost 300 Viggens well into the 90's, but well, "neutral" and all that, so not exactly comparable. These days we're supposed to have 100 Gripen C/D on paper but I'm pretty sure not all of those are actually in service. For the next generation we're supposed to get 70 Gripen E; originally it was 60 but they added 10 more recently because of the old Russian arch-nemesis starting to rattle sabres like it's 1699. A lot of old school people (and quite a few new school ones as well) are very upset about both that and the lack of dispersed basing and are talking a lot about The Good Old Days.

And Sweden has less square kilometers than Saskatchewan.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Russian propaganda is pretty bad. I bet that no American President would be able to pull anything similar, like convincing his own public opinion that a foreign country owns weapons of mass destruction to invade it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well, for all his ineptitude and dishonesty, Bush never pretended the bombs falling on Baghdad were anyone's but the USA's.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Red Crown posted:

The video is too grainy to tell, but my heart tells me that the name on the stern is "COWPENS" :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cowpens_(CG-63)

EDIT: Oh god everything after the first paragraph in the "Command History" section :stare:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Every single part of the story with the captain shutting himself in his cabin is amazing (and hilarious). :stonklol:

e: so the captain locks himself in his cabin for months on end, meanwhile loving the chief engineer who is running the ship for him. Nobody decides this is sufficiently out of the ordinary to mention to anyone.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mortabis posted:

Every single part of the story with the captain shutting himself in his cabin is amazing (and hilarious). :stonklol:

e: so the captain locks himself in his cabin for months on end, meanwhile loving the chief engineer who is running the ship for him. Nobody decides this is sufficiently out of the ordinary to mention to anyone.

I don't know if you've ever spent time on a ship at sea, but after a while your relationship with the outside world and shore based authority gets a bit detached.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

FrozenVent posted:

I don't know if you've ever spent time on a ship at sea, but after a while your relationship with the outside world and shore based authority gets a bit detached.

Other than one week on a cruise ship more than 10 years ago, nope.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/captain-navy-cross-for-finishing-deployment/

Relevant :haw:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Russian propaganda is pretty bad. I bet that no American President would be able to pull anything similar, like convincing his own public opinion that a foreign country owns weapons of mass destruction to invade it.

Yeah, those are pretty comparable..... Like sometimes I laugh when Americans think that a particular operation is about some vague concept like "freedom" but if you showed an American that piece of poo poo image of the Flanker Russian state media has been passing around, they'd pretty quickly realize how loving bullshit it is.

Cippalippus posted:

Nazism wasn't fundamentally evil, it still had a (wicked) ethos behind it. What really made nazism worrying is that it took power in Germany and not in the usual third world shithole, meaning that they had the ideology and the means to pursue it.

Keep on keepin' on, buddy! You managed to defend nazism and insult less powerful nations all in one go, there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't wait for someone to pick this up, run with it, and not notice that the original author's name is "Maxx Butthurt."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kilonum posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cowpens_(CG-63)

EDIT: Oh god everything after the first paragraph in the "Command History" section :stare:

I...what

Was this some sort of failed reality TV show

e: the XO that was removed from command was the fourth Cowpens senior officer to be removed in 2014

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 17, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nah, a drama airing on TBS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't wait for someone to pick this up, run with it, and not notice that the original author's name is "Maxx Butthurt."

I would have figured most folks who post here would know it's the military news version of The Onion but perhaps that's a big ask.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alaan posted:

Nah, a drama airing on TBS.

It'll be like a cross between The Last Ship and F Troop.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine at this point getting assigned to the Cowpens as an officer is the surest sign it's time to look for civilian work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Alaan posted:

I'd imagine at this point getting assigned to the Cowpens as an officer is the surest sign it's time to look for civilian work.

As a JO you wouldn't have a lot of choice. It is interesting to see the new line officers of this generation being so prone to public fuckups, though. ...not that it always hasn't been 'a thing,' it's just easier to get the word out about it now, whereas before it was just handled internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

So not capable of any form of extended campaign including logistically, financially and manpower? I'd give you France but they ran out of munitions bombing Libya.