Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's the basis of a pretty funny language joke later on but god knows if A1 won't arse it up somehow.

You meant Director Ito, producer Kawashima (and Chief Producer Iwakami), and the scriptwriters at Seven Days. A1 handles the animation production, not the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Whoever. My faith in this particular troupe of individuals is about on par as Toei in terms of Sailor Moon Crystal.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Uhh Asuna's mother showed up making me have to skip through half the episode to avoid that annoying bitch... Thankfully the second half had the fight against Zekken.

edit: added spoiler tags

Myurton fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Asuna's mom ruled, the pithy responses, sighs, and smirks were just a spot-on reaction to a dumb kid obsessed about her video games.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Aaaaaah, Hayashibara Megumi, what are you doing here?

And apparently I can't get away from Yuuki Aoi. :(
Cool fight, though.

I'm convinced that, at some point, she simply stopped giving a poo poo. I really liked the Mardock Scramble movies and everything but, at some point between the first and second movie, it feels as if Hayashibara just lost her pizazz. Which is kind of a bummer, since a few of the other actors from her generation (Hiyama, Kikuko Inoue, Koyasu, Miki, Midorikawa, Morikawa, Megumi Ogata are the ones that come to mind) still bring out the funsies.

Also, Aoi Yuuki is super fun to listen to. Quit being mad, bro. :colbert:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

Also, Aoi Yuuki is super fun to listen to. Quit being mad, bro. :colbert:

She's so shrieky. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They certainly aren't skimping on new OP animations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Asuna's mom ruled, the pithy responses, sighs, and smirks were just a spot-on reaction to a dumb kid obsessed about her video games.

Hits a little close to home for me, sounds exactly like my dad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This is probably the most interesting the show's been for me since the end of SAO. I would probably sympathize with Asuna's mom regarding bad life choices if she hadn't tried to marry off her comatose daughter to a psychopath.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

This is probably the most interesting the show's been for me since the end of SAO. I would probably sympathize with Asuna's mom regarding bad life choices if she hadn't tried to marry off her comatose daughter to a psychopath.

Didn't Sugou/Oberon/DIO had one helluva poker face/PR? Like, the one odd thing he had going on as part of his public facade is that he was a 20-something using 'boku'? Maybe I should get back to checking the books, because the few things I remember about Sugou is that he wanted Asuna for himself and that he was voiced by Takehito Koyasu.

darkgray posted:

Don't you think she's kind of cute? :iamafag:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I gotta say that I do enjoy the way they alter the opening credits as the story progresses. Swapping in the Sleeping Knights (Yuuki's guild, I presume) for Kirito & Company was amusing.

The whole "Mom disapproves of Kirito" thing was fairly predictable but also realistic. You can see how, having nearly lost her daughter to SAO, Asuna's mom would be pretty down on the whole VRMMO thing. I'm hoping they do something clever with that angle rather than the usual "Protagonist gains the courage to stand up to their overbearing parent" thing.

C'mon, show, surprise me!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Didn't Sugou/Oberon/DIO had one helluva poker face/PR? Like, the one odd thing he had going on as part of his public facade is that he was a 20-something using 'boku'? Maybe I should get back to checking the books, because the few things I remember about Sugou is that he wanted Asuna for himself and that he was voiced by Takehito Koyasu.

You should be suspicious of anyone who wants to marry your underaged comatose daughter. That Suguo was a crazy guy shouldn't really have come as a surprise.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

U-DO Burger posted:

You should be suspicious of anyone who wants to marry your underaged comatose daughter. That Suguo was a crazy guy shouldn't really have come as a surprise.

She was already arranged to be married to that dude before SAO, Also she technically wasn't going to be comatose when they wed(unless I'm misremembering something). He wasn't going to marry her until after he rewrote her memories and personality to love him.

I mean they aren't good parents by any stretch, but you really can't blame them for that dude turning out to be a creepy rapist dude. The Dad had apparently known him for a while. And he had shown no proclivity for being batshit insane.

Now you think that that whole experience would make them kinda realize that hey, maybe we should let her pick, but yeaaah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

An opening that not only isn't focused on Kirito, but doesn't have Kirito at all.

I am now seriously interested in what this arc has in store.

Admittedly, this episode alone was really enjoyable. Asuna's mum...is kind of horrible, but at the same time does raise good points. That said, with Asuna's words, it does feel like she's trying to force the life she couldn't have on her daughter, which isn't particularly nice. She also sounds completely uncaring about the hell Asuna went through, she only seems to care about how she lost two years of school due to it.

In fact, her good points are kind of totally lost because she's an awful person.

The fight with Zekken/Yuuki was really good, though I wish we had gotten an explanation of that 4x Pain or whatever it was. But then again, the anime never explains anything game-related, so I'm not surprised. I seriously hope it will show the 11-hit combo at some point though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And remember everyone, according to Kirito has she been in SAO during the incident she would've had the Dual Wielding skill instead of him and been the hero.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Would been a more fun series if she had, I'm thinking.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This episode shows off what I think is a genuine strength of the series, which is the worldbuilding and exploring some of the consequences of this virtual reality-focused lifestyle. You can't say that Asuna's mom is totally wrong here; the fact that Asuna already lost 2 years of her life to SAO and is still dumping her time into playing online is a bit concerning. Although Asuna's mom is also the stereotypical super strict and uncaring rich Japanese parent. This episode includes that throwaway line that she's mad about having been born in a poor family and overcompensating but it isn't particularly well elaborated on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Blaze Dragon posted:

The fight with Zekken/Yuuki was really good, though I wish we had gotten an explanation of that 4x Pain or whatever it was. But then again, the anime never explains anything game-related, so I'm not surprised. I seriously hope it will show the 11-hit combo at some point though.

Ep 19: After Asuna is surprised that Yuuki can see Quadruple Pain, Yuuki does her 11-hit sword skill. Asuna even mentions it after she is about to be hit by the 11th attack, remarking that she is fine losing to it.

LN explanation of Original Sword Skills that the anime skipped in Ep 18: They basically took SAO's Sword Skills and dumped them into ALO. Sword Skills automatically moved a player at the system's fastest speed and with perfect motion, so they were really powerful. However, the company behind ALO decided to go one step further and allowed players to create their own custom super moves. Registering an OSS is easy; it's like recording a macro. But it's easier said than done as single hit slashes and thrusts would usually get registered as one of the pre-existing skills. You would have to create a combo, and you would have to do it perfectly. You couldn't have an off-balance center of gravity, you would have to move at almost full speed, etc. Basically, you had to be able to perform the skill as fast and accurately as a normal sword skill. Which meant lots and lots of practice which most people couldn't be bothered to do. It could take months to develop a 5-hit combo perfectly. So an 11-hit combo is pretty unheard of which is why everybody is trying to win it (you can sell copies of your OSS to people).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, they didn't make it obvious that even Asuna's 5 hit combo was rare. As the Highest before the 11-hit one was Salamander's 8 hit combo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

She was already arranged to be married to that dude before SAO, Also she technically wasn't going to be comatose when they wed(unless I'm misremembering something). He wasn't going to marry her until after he rewrote her memories and personality to love him.

I mean they aren't good parents by any stretch, but you really can't blame them for that dude turning out to be a creepy rapist dude. The Dad had apparently known him for a while. And he had shown no proclivity for being batshit insane.

Now you think that that whole experience would make them kinda realize that hey, maybe we should let her pick, but yeaaah.
Honestly, if Asuna's Mom didn't absolve herself of all the blame she might have just the smallest bit of a point.

darkgray posted:

Madoka is the Best Titan (She voices Diane in Seven Deadly Sins) and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 16, 2014

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, I missed Hayashibara Megumi even when I was on the look out for her since she played as someone so against her normal types. drat that was cold enough to kill a penguin. Even if mom was right, doing what she did is no way to go about it and would fail to convince anybody but someone like herself which was half the point.

Houko Kuwashima got wasted on some exposition dumping, what a shame.

If we could get some Kotono Mitsuishi we can start cooking with gas.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
While Mom's concerns about playing games are kinda valid, her bit about 'You won't learn anything if you don't use your hands' sounds like someone 20 years ago bemoaning their child typing up her homework on the computer instead of writing with a pen the proper way.

Any and all points she may have are utterly erased by trying to setup more marriages after the psycho rape dude escapade though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wonder if they only think Kirito is the guy who saved everyone and not an upcoming mechanical interface genius.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Azubah posted:

I wonder if they only think Kirito is the guy who saved everyone and not an upcoming mechanical interface genius.

No one knows that Kirito saved everyone outside of the few who were at the Final Heathcliff battle, and his friends.

She also doesn't know that Kirito was the dude who literally saved her from rapey dude(should probably look up his name eventually).

She is only saying that because she doesn't want Asuna to be involved with anyone from the SAO survivor school. Because they are poors and unworthy of Asuna's family status.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're not poor, they're rich in the value of life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't that they are poor, really. Rather, attending that school carries a stigma. It is for the people who had trouble re-acclimating to normal life after sao. By definition it means they used to play a mmo and missed several years of school, to say nothing of their possible lingering mental problems. Having that on your education record could potentially really hurt your chances at getting into a good school or job.

I never really understood that whole 'get good grades and get into a good college but only so you can land a husband thing', though. Why is the college education of someone who doesn't intend to use it in any way relevant to potential suitors? Is it just because it sounds nice to say that they attended a particular university?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 17, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

I never really understood that whole 'get good grades and get into a good college but only so you can land a husband thing', though. Why is the college education of someone who doesn't intend to use it in any way relevant to potential suitors? Is it just because it sounds nice to say that they attended a particular university?
Assortative mating. It groups members of the same social class together, and serves as a signal to those with similar but non-identical educational pedigrees.

It's basically "proof you are not a poor or mentally defective," much like the purpose a bachelor's serves in the US job market these days.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't that they are poor, really. Rather, attending that school carries a stigma. It is for the people who had trouble re-acclimating to normal life after sao. By definition it means they used to play a mmo and missed several years of school, to say nothing of their possible lingering mental problems. Having that on your education record could potentially really hurt your chances at getting into a good school or job.

The "poors" was more of a joke, but yeah, No one from that school is worthy of Asuna's status.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Asuna is bad and so are her parents.

Also Dengeki Bunko is surprisingly fun and it's cool to hit buttons when using Kirito's dual wielding.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

This episode really did redeem the previous ten episodes of Kirito-centric expo dumping and poo poo.

This stupid show... Of course they decide to cut like stuff like Shino holding off Shinkawa with the model gun, and being introduced to Agil. And Kirito actually trying to explain the cave scene to Asuna. in favor of spending half the screentime on buttshots.

Mother's Rosario is when I started thinking "hey these books are actually getting pretty good". I don't think they can screw this arc up too much.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
I've been avoiding this arc because I read a translation of Mother's Rosario, and remember it being nothing but horrible Japanese parenting and the author knowing even less about how disease works than he does about computers. But based on all these glowing reviews I might give it a try after all...

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
To play devil's advocate here, I'll say that I like it, but it's not really that great. At least not yet.

It's miles above Gun Gale, and light years above Fairy Dance, but those two didn't exactly set any high bars.

Obviously the best part is that we get very little of Gary Stu. Although we do get enough of him for me to keep wishing he'd fall into a manhole and die. (Oh what's that, we're gonna backpedal on how even Kirito couldn't defeat Zekken by hinting he was holding back? Because she's a girl you say?) And it brings back a little bit of the old Asuna, before she became the self-insert's waifu, so that's also a plus.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 19, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

post posted:

Kirito actually trying to explain the cave scene to Asuna.
Oh, that explains it. I thought it was really weird the author passed up that opportunity for cheap laughs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sophism posted:

To play devil's advocate here, I'll say that I like it, but it's not really that great. At least not yet.

It's miles above Gun Gale, and light years above Fairy Dance, but those two didn't exactly set any high bars.

Obviously the best part is that we get very little of Gary Stu. Although we do get enough of him for me to keep wishing he'd fall into a manhole and die. (Oh what's that, we're gonna backpedal on how not even Kirito couldn't defeat Zekken by hinting he was holding back? Because she's a girl you say?) And it brings back a little bit of the old Asuna, before she became the self-insert's waifu, so that's also a plus.

Eh, Kirito said that he wouldn't have been able to beat her even if he was 100% her being a female had nothing to do with it. Also that she would have been the one to get Dual Blades in SAO. There was no back pedal, Asuna thought so but both he and Lizebeth put that to rest.

Asuna managed to do something that no one else had, which was force Yuuki to use the 11 hit combo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fairy Dance was drat good compared to Gun Gale. ALO had a poo poo load of fighting compared to GGO's Cave rear end Talk Online. ALO was dumb as hell, but it seem to to embrace and run with it.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Gun Gale was a better story but the problem is that the animation team that turned it into a show made it poo poo, all for the purposes of stuffing more fanservice in to it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Thunk posted:

I've been avoiding this arc because I read a translation of Mother's Rosario, and remember it being nothing but horrible Japanese parenting and the author knowing even less about how disease works than he does about computers. But based on all these glowing reviews I might give it a try after all...

I might be misremembering but I don't think he was that wildly off about how (Book Spoilers, kinda gives the whole game away) Blood Transmitted HIV works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

I might be misremembering but I don't think he was that wildly off about how (Book Spoilers, kinda gives the whole game away) Blood Transmitted HIV works.

Didn't he say (massive spoiler) Yuuki got HIV from a transfusion then somehow spread it to her parents and brother? That's what I remember from the translation I read. I'll admit I don't know anything about it myself, but I'm not sure how that's possible. Best we stop this discussion now, though, before the spoilers get too thick.

• Locked thread