Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.0

Hey, does the idea of "NATO vs Communists in SPACE" appeal to you? Do you like watching huge ships blow each other up with scores of guns? Then Project Ironclads just got updated* for the latest incarnation of Starsector!

*warning: may be imbalanced due to recent shift, and certainly missing features from past versions of the mod because the author has to rewrite everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ironclads is pretty good low-tech scifi, and predated the current release in its idea of civilian and military grade hardware.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Have any of the 'build an empire from nothing' mods been ported yet? I'm bored of vanilla and am looking for a mod that allows me to basically build my own faction and conquer all the others, mount and blade style.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In Starsector+, how do I get the pirates to start stocking the highest end pirate-exclusive ships? I've been wrecking everything I can catch except Templars (because gently caress those guys) but the best that shows up is stuff like Barbarians (very rarely). I'm basing out of Umbra in Askonia, since they have a Pirate 'military' vendor (which implies this is where the top end stuff will spawn).

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8010.0

http://vimeo.com/111677099

SCY, Another highly worth playing faction mod, done by a professional animator, just updated

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 13, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8010.0

http://vimeo.com/111677099

SCY, Another highly worth playing faction mod, done by a professional animator, just updated

Holy poo poo you can shoot the bits off.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo you can shoot the bits off.
This game is the best (and by that I mean that the modders are).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been looking at the Templar faction mod and it's just really, really dumb. They have everything, passive shields, huge mobility from their actives, massive aoe's that poo poo on fighters and huge flux capacities that let them spam all their weapons and never worry. I mean how is that faction even remotely balanced for fun? What are their weaknesses?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't played it, but based on what SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND has said in the past they're not really meant to be balanced but to be something for the player to challenge themselves against.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I haven't played it, but based on what SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND has said in the past they're not really meant to be balanced but to be something for the player to challenge themselves against.

Pretty much. Fight against them, don't play them. Valkyries or whatever they're called fall into the same category. Challenge mode!

I remember one mod had some ancient artifact ships that were half the screen and just guns hull and armour. Were super fun to fight against because they were a sort of boss fight. The other faction in it were akin to zerg - tons of unshielded ships covered in biomass with suicide bombers and the like. Both required someone specialized loadouts on your ships to deal with.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Demiurge4 posted:

Been looking at the Templar faction mod and it's just really, really dumb. They have everything, passive shields, huge mobility from their actives, massive aoe's that poo poo on fighters and huge flux capacities that let them spam all their weapons and never worry. I mean how is that faction even remotely balanced for fun? What are their weaknesses?

All the non-total conversion mods are ludicrously unbalanced. Usually the mod missiles are especially bad, generally being as good or better than vanilla missiles but with 5-10 times the ammo.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

That's pretty much the design goal. Super powerful ships that defy vanilla mechanics, specifically designed to deter high-tech kiting and other typical endgame tactics. Templar designed weaknesses are as follows, though:
- Contour shields never negate damage, as normal shields do. At best they remove 95% of incoming damage at 0% flux, then it drops linearly with flux level. This means that once a Templar ship has been stripped of armor, it will take chip damage at low flux and potentially die even with full strength lattice shields. Templar ships will end up taking more damage to armor overall than a ship with normal shields.
- After a Priwen Burst, shields go offline. The stronger the burst was, the longer the resulting vulnerability period. Outfitting a fleet with emp resistance lessens the likelyhood of your weapons being brought offline by the Priwen, letting you punish.
- Templar ships have ludicrous logistical demands. A lone Paladin loses ~9 supplies a day by just existing, even if it hasn't been in combat. This makes it likely that you will always have numerical superiority when fighting the Templars, and always be outnumbered if you are using Templar ships. This doesn't really matter though, because the ships are basically designed to fight against overwhelming odds and win (hence the passive shields/active burst mechanic)
- Their ships don't get a 0-flux speed boost

Apart from that, yes, they are extremely powerful. They are also really fun to fly and to fight against if you're at a point where you can trivialize fights against vanilla content.

DatonKallandor posted:

All the non-total conversion mods are ludicrously unbalanced.

Right now, vanilla is more unbalanced than faction mods. :haw:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got my hands on an Infernus. This thing is insanely fun-- six medium and three large projectile mounts means it can tear up pretty much anything near it very quickly.

I ended up going with three storm needlers and six heavy maulers and I can now suddenly poo poo on Templar ships easily :getin:

Of course all my light weapon slots are a mix of random stuff because good luck trying to get that many of a single weapon as a pirate-aligned player.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DatonKallandor posted:

All the non-total conversion mods are ludicrously unbalanced. Usually the mod missiles are especially bad, generally being as good or better than vanilla missiles but with 5-10 times the ammo.

The other issue is that most vanilla missiles are designed as situational or secondary weapons rather than something that you could just fire at the enemy until they died. Pilums can apply steady pressure from long range but are easily avoided or simply absorbed by shields if the target is otherwise unoccupied, Harpoons are powerful finishers but do gently caress-all to shields and are easily destroyed by PD, Reapers can land crippling blows on even the heaviest ships but need an exposed target and a good setup run to actually hit, most of them have harshly limited ammunition that necessitated waiting for the right moment to capitalize on them, etc.

Then you get mod missiles like the ones we saw in that video that drove unerringly at their targets before plowing through their shields and obliterating them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well it only took me 4 hours of struggling, tinkering and cursing as I learned everything over again and I've got one ship, one weapon, a new faction that sets initial reputations and a star system with one planet and no market to load and be playable. It begins

Big thanks to Shadowyards, as I spent most of that time digging around in its guts to figure poo poo out. Setting up NetBeans is a great help for bug fixing. I may have no more than a basic idea about how java works but I can use common sense and the errors the compiler spits out to track things down and somehow make it work.

I'm sure thats just about the complete assbackwards way to code but fuckit. :unsmith:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Well it only took me 4 hours of struggling, tinkering and cursing as I learned everything over again and I've got one ship, one weapon, a new faction that sets initial reputations and a star system with one planet and no market to load and be playable. It begins

Big thanks to Shadowyards, as I spent most of that time digging around in its guts to figure poo poo out. Setting up NetBeans is a great help for bug fixing. I may have no more than a basic idea about how java works but I can use common sense and the errors the compiler spits out to track things down and somehow make it work.

I'm sure thats just about the complete assbackwards way to code but fuckit. :unsmith:

Welcome to the assbackwards coding club, Arrath! :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I'm glad my work was of help, if only as a reference; that's a large part of why I tried to get a 0.65 version out as quickly as I could. It could probably stand to be commented better/at all, though. E: Though a lot of that is the work of others as well. I'm a somewhat lousy coder.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Welcome to the assbackwards coding club, Arrath! :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I'm glad my work was of help, if only as a reference; that's a large part of why I tried to get a 0.65 version out as quickly as I could. It could probably stand to be commented better/at all, though. E: Though a lot of that is the work of others as well. I'm a somewhat lousy coder.

Thanks! It really has been a great help. I tinkered with this back before the campaign (drat it was a while ago) and the changes are interesting to wrap my head around. Importing old csv's doesn't work when columns have been added.

Reference is just like wholesale copying with renamed variables, right? :v: Followed by sledgehammering until it compiles.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 15, 2014

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
What benefits are there to installing a packet sniffer on one of the comm stations? Does it just give more accurate information about price updates and trade fleet movement? Thinking about slapping one down on the hegemony's comm station in my Tri-Tachyon game.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Thanks! It really has been a great help. I tinkered with this back before the campaign (drat it was a while ago) and the changes are interesting to wrap my head around. Importing old csv's doesn't work when columns have been added.

Reference is just like wholesale copying with renamed variables, right? :v: Followed by sledgehammering until it compiles.

It's a viable methodology, yeah. Smash code until code stop moving around. Then coding complete. Grunting optional.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Right now, vanilla is more unbalanced than faction mods. :haw:

Did someone say "dominator with 3 harpoon pods oneshotting every other ship in the game"??

I really don't know how that missle pod buff got in, it makes even venture cruisers instagib machines.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Did someone say "dominator with 3 harpoon pods oneshotting every other ship in the game"??

I really don't know how that missle pod buff got in, it makes even venture cruisers instagib machines.

Try the Archer in SS+. 3x Medium missiles with Fast Racks. :gibs:

MShadowy posted:

It's a viable methodology, yeah. Smash code until code stop moving around. Then coding complete. Grunting optional.

Perfect. Suits me just fine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
CRUSHIN CODE :black101:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Lipton Iced Soup posted:

What benefits are there to installing a packet sniffer on one of the comm stations? Does it just give more accurate information about price updates and trade fleet movement? Thinking about slapping one down on the hegemony's comm station in my Tri-Tachyon game.

That's correct. More accurate, sooner, and sometimes you get bulletins that you wouldn't have otherwise. Not every faction-controlled price update or market instability makes it to the public notice board, and having a sniffer can also tell you things like 'imminent food shortage at X.'

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Aren't you given the same effect when you reach some high level of positive faction?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Has the developer mentioned what kind of money sinks he's gonna be throwing in? Buying your own space stations, stuff on planets, some form of empire building maybe?

It's obviously not gonna be ships if they stay as cheap as they are now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Been having a problem lately where my game refuses to load savegames because it says they might have been using different mods, even though the mods are exactly the same (same versions etc). Anyone else experienced this before? It looks to me like the game is running out of memory, which seems utterly absurd since I'm running on Win8 64bit with 8 GB RAM. Here's from the log, an example with SS+, Mayorate, Interstellar Imperium and Shadowyards:

code:
169712 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.peekElement(PathTracker.java:131)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.getPath(PathTracker.java:169)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.getCurrentReferenceKey(ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.java:41)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.readItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.addCurrentElementToCollection(CollectionConverter.java:79)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.unmarshal(CollectionConverter.java:61)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.readItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.addCurrentElementToCollection(CollectionConverter.java:79)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:72)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCollection(CollectionConverter.java:66)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.unmarshal(CollectionConverter.java:61)
	at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2014

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ah, heap space again. While I'm not an expert, the general experience the mod squad has had with Starsector indicates that it does not really do dynamic memory allocation well/at all. Instead it grabs a chunk of memory space on startup, and this might not be enough if you have a lot of mods installed, especially given that the campaign has gotten significantly more advanced, and hence memory demanding.

Given that it's not recognizing the mods it's probable that the save might be corrupt--if so, it likely occurred when the game was saving due to memory shortages--but regardless the solution is to increase the amount of RAM Starsector grabs on start up.

To increase the heap space allocation, open up the the bat/command/sh file with a text editor (preferably Notepad++ for Windows), and look for a section containing "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m"--unless you're still using 0.65a and not 0.65.1a, in which case you should probably update. If you don't feel like doing so, it will have "-Xms512m -Xmx1024m" instead, which is and has been woefully inadequate for a while now. Anyway, just increase the heap space the game can grab; "-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m" is probably a decent starting point.

Fortunately it seems that we might be getting some improvements to how the game handles saving that should reduce the necessity of this, and incidentally make saving and loading faster.

E:

Nektu posted:

That behaviour comes from the underlying Java runtime - the game can do nothing about it.

Gotcha. Was tempted to say "Java" but it occurred to me that I didn't know that with certainty, so I ended up going with the program rather than the language.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 15, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

MShadowy posted:

Ah, heap space again. While I'm not an expert, the general experience the mod squad has had with Starsector indicates that it does not really do dynamic memory allocation well/at all. Instead it grabs a chunk of memory space on startup, and this might not be enough if you have a lot of mods installed, especially given that the campaign has gotten significantly more advanced, and hence memory demanding.
That behaviour comes from the underlying Java runtime - the game can do nothing about it.

MShadowy posted:

To increase the heap space allocation, open up the the bat/command/sh file with a text editor (preferably Notepad++ for Windows), and look for a section containing "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m"--unless you're still using 0.65a and not 0.65.1a, in which case you should probably update. If you don't feel like doing so, it will have "-Xms512m -Xmx1024m" instead, which is and has been woefully inadequate for a while now. Anyway, just increase the heap space the game can grab; "-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m" is probably a decent starting point.
If you use starfarer.exe (ie the launcher), make those changes in the file "vmparams".

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Starsector had a tendency to blow up save files as well and this appeared to have impact on how much memory the game needed as well for some reason.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If I buy this, can I install it on my PC in my room, and on my Macbook down in the living room with the same license?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Philthy posted:

If I buy this, can I install it on my PC in my room, and on my Macbook down in the living room with the same license?

Yep, I've had this on my PC and at 2 different laptops.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Another lovely thing regarding the heapspace: the java runtime environment that is bundeled with the game is a 32 bit version that cannot use more than 2GB of memory.

If your game does not start after you increased the -xmx setting, replace the jre folder in the games directory with a 64 bit jre (or just change the bat to use a preinstalled java runtime).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Who in their right mind ships a JRE with their product instead of just telling the customer to get it from the source?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:toot: I finally figured out how to add a market using that must-be-compiled addMarketplace method that SHI uses.

Turns out netbeans* throws the uncompiled java files into the jar along with the bytecode class files and the game was defaulting to using the uncompiled ones from the jar and jaino was throwing a fit. :doh:

*It is highly likely I'm just using the wrong options to build the project. E: Oh right I took out the *.java exclude while I was trying to troubleshoot the jaino hissyfit. I can't seem to get it to work again, odd.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 15, 2014

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the help guys! I'm using the 64-bit JRE with 2048/2048 in the vmparams now and I can load the saves that weren't loading.

By the way has anybody here used the Galatia music mod? I tried using it but it instantly crashes the game; I looked into the mod files and log and there really wasn't any thing that looked like it would cause the crash.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
On the topic of vmparams, I currently have mine set to 512/5g. Should I make them equal for best performance or is it fine to leave it as is?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

NightfallGemini posted:

On the topic of vmparams, I currently have mine set to 512/5g. Should I make them equal for best performance or is it fine to leave it as is?
Its fine. Making them equal just means that the JVM will grap all those 5GB the moment it starts up. With the current setting it grabs 512MB and extends as needed.

dis astranagant posted:

Who in their right mind ships a JRE with their product instead of just telling the customer to get it from the source?
Someone who got his first thousand of "I BOUGHT YOUR GAME AND IT DOESNT EVEN START :argh:" mails.

OctaMurk posted:

By the way has anybody here used the Galatia music mod? I tried using it but it instantly crashes the game; I looked into the mod files and log and there really wasn't any thing that looked like it would cause the crash.
Are you sure that there isnt some kind of stacktrace at the very end of that log?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 16, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I wonder where/how the new vanilla game determines where ships and weapons pop up. I'm kinda wondering where I'd have to go to have a chance at a conquest/aurora.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mindblast posted:

I wonder where/how the new vanilla game determines where ships and weapons pop up. I'm kinda wondering where I'd have to go to have a chance at a conquest/aurora.

Auroras can spawn in the military market on Achaman or whatever the Tri-Tach station in Magec is called. Not sure if they can spawn anywhere else, but I doubt it.

No idea on a Conquest. I've never even seen one in the campaign in a fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Ah nice, thanks! It's looks and hardpoints suggest it's a mid liner so you'd suspect it would be Sindrian Diktat would have a few. I'll keep eyeballing them.