Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/18/video-shows-disabled-brisbane-man-punched-queensland-police

footage of brave queensland cops repeatedly punching a restrained double amputee in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
In case you have missed it, there is a show starting on SBS tonight called First Contact which looks to be mandatory viewing. Taking a bunch of racist white Australians and getting them to live with and spend time with some indigenous Australians to hopefully get them to develop a tiny bit of human empathy.

I'm predicting it now though, it will be much like Go Back To Where You Came From, in that the people who really need to watch a show like this won't, and the white people on the show their growth will be limited to "Well the ones we saw are the good ones, not like all the other aboriginals I have to deal with in the city!"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Those On My Left posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/18/video-shows-disabled-brisbane-man-punched-queensland-police

footage of brave queensland cops repeatedly punching a restrained double amputee in the head

To be fair, if he had just gotten up and gone along quietly like he should have he wouldn't have gotten that beating.

Support our troops, ban halal food.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

After a comprehensive and independent review of the incident it has been determined that members of Queensland Police used appropriate force at all times in their dealings with members of the public.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Those On My Left posted:

probably going to regret putting that on my facebook wall but oh well.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Imagine what would happen if the people punching a restrained double amputee in the head repeatedly were visibly Muslim.

Mosques burnt down all across the country.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
OK That footage is hosed up. Will the cops end up in gaol?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

After a comprehensive and independent review of the incident it has been determined that members of Queensland Police used appropriate force at all times in their dealings with members of the public.

'Police shoot and kill Queensland man after tracing hoax calls'

That's pretty harsh for a few hoax calls.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

:downsrim:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Don't get your hopes up.

I am still waiting to see how this story concludes: http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/four-to-stand-trial-over-ballina-cell-block-bashin/2421662/

Also, regarding that video and the Guardian article, spread it as far as you can. FB it, tweet it, tweet it directly at the QLD police force and their CMC.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GoldStandardConure posted:

In case you have missed it, there is a show starting on SBS tonight called First Contact which looks to be mandatory viewing. Taking a bunch of racist white Australians and getting them to live with and spend time with some indigenous Australians to hopefully get them to develop a tiny bit of human empathy.

I'm predicting it now though, it will be much like Go Back To Where You Came From, in that the people who really need to watch a show like this won't, and the white people on the show their growth will be limited to "Well the ones we saw are the good ones, not like all the other aboriginals I have to deal with in the city!"

Thanks for the reminder, I just heard Hack talking about this a lot last night, so I gotta try and remember to actually turn the TV on today.

From the Hack story at least, it sounds like they didn't pick really stubborn super-racist people for it. Just people who had more "average" views, so still pretty racist but not because they were like, trying hard at it or anything. The one participant they interviewed sounded like she really did have her views changed, particularly when she mentioned the disadvantages facing young children. Almost like a future Auspoller in the making.

But I'm just as pessimistic about who's going to watch it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Amethyst posted:

ughhh well there was a news story a few days ago about Queensland Police officers being caught speeding in their patrol cars, and how it was mega unfair that they should be held to the same exacting standards that they enforce on the rest of the community.

I mean, you think if you were rolling around in a police car you wouldn't be speeding but :shrug:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Those On My Left posted:

What the actual gently caress?

------

Halims Indian Taj good for goons? Saturday at 6? order before 7.
there are watering holes nearby.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amethyst posted:

quote:

Queensland police say they are aware of the incident and are looking into the circumstances, but could not say whether an ethical standards investigation had been launched.

This. At every step of the process. First they will have trouble identifying the officer involved. If you can provide definitive proof of their identity then they will insist that any disciplinary action must take place after the pending criminal charges so as not to prejudice them. If you are still hanging around leaning on them after all this has gone down they'll actually refer the matter to someone inside the police command and then let you know that 'appropriate actions were taken'. If you inquire as to what these were they will obfuscate. If you want to devote a bunch of your free time and a not inconsiderable amount of resources to fighting for a result go for it.

I did exactly that for the occupy Melbourne violent assault that also went viral. The nett result was the proceedings took so long the body I originally complained to (Office of Police Integrity) got replaced by the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission who effectively sent me a final cease and desist document which specifically stated that I had no further recourse. There has been no action (to my knowledge) taken against the officer involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNTexzIqE00

The original footage has been taken down. I attempted to follow it up via ministers and MPs but they refer me to the IBAC finding.

Haven't seen this linked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4SiCiA5YE

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 18, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

That was weird.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:psyduck:

Are the US and China taking part in this propaganda too, Bolty old boy?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

"Warmist" is the stupidest loving word ever jfc

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

No wonder he's so loving dumb if he thinks that's how the scientific method works.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I can't find a way to make the ten times more likely number work either.

Like even if you accept it as a valid way of doing things. He apparently can't do maths.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Australian journalists 10x more likely to ask foreign politicians "How are you finding Australia" than domestic ones. Anti-Australia groupthink?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

:psyduck:

Even ignoring his lovely statistics, it should only be a little over 5 times more likely. Or did he just use the Cameron counts 1/9 = ~10% and 1/1 = 100% therefore 10 times more likely. He should have just gone full Bolt and only used the Abbott counts to claim that Aus journalists were infinity times more likely to ask about climate change.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

This just in, all journos more likely to ask climate change questions to the leader who doesn't "believe" in it (and who thinks that science is a thing you believe in the first place) than to the world leaders who acknowledge it as a real issue in need of action. Duh.

How he got from 2/23 and 5/11 to 10 times is anyone's guess. 5/11 becomes 10/22, and 10 is 5 times more than 2 therefore 10??? :pseudo:

Going back to uni to get a hard science degree and looking for employment in it after 15 years in lovely IT seems like an increasingly stupid idea.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bolt has already been told he was dumb and has corrected it.

Clearly this is a sad day for free speech, that someone can't make up bullshit to pursue their own biased agenda and not be called on it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Attention: Bolt does not do maths. He does clickbait. It's hilarious that he's using a domestic issue to attack journalists whose only angle on the whole G20 has been domestic issues courtesy of the loving PM whose only angle on the whole G20 was only ever going to be domestic issues because oh noes they won't shut up about a domestic issue we don't like. So he does some clickbait to reassure his fans that Libs are still victims even when they're just dickheads with no idea what to with their winning lottery ticket.

gently caress Bolt, he does this. Move on with your lives.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wot?

Julie Bishop's secret sign language: who was the Foreign Minister communicating with ahead of Xi Jinping's speech to Parliament?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...118-11ovgq.html

quote:

Watching from afar it looked like Julie Bishop had kicked off a game of charades in the House of Representatives to pass the time until Chinese President Xi Jinping started speaking.

But what on earth was the Foreign Minister signalling ahead of the landmark address on Monday?

Was it a movie, a book or a TV show?

At one moment, she seemed to form an animal's head with her fingers and thumb, with her little finger raised as if to suggest the ear of a rabbit or the horn of a bull.
At another, she clenched her fists loosely and joined them together in front of her chest in a gesture faintly redolent of a flight attendant demonstrating how to do up a seatbelt.
At another point she fixed someone in her line of vision with a warmer variation of her famous "death stare" and underlined her message by pointing her finger at her interlocutor.

Exactly who among the dignitaries Ms Bishop was addressing was unclear to Fairfax Media photographer Alex Ellinghausen, who took these photos.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce and Seven Network Chairman Kerry Stokes appeared to be in her eyeline.

When Fairfax Media contacted Ms Bishop's office for an explanation, her staff solved that mystery without ending our intrigue about what exactly she was on about.
Ms Bishop's spokeswoman said she was communicating with the US Ambassador John Berry, in a "secret sign language" the pair share.

"They both know the messages being conveyed. No one else does – or will," her spokeswoman said.
One theory doing the rounds in Canberra was that Ms Bishop had been joking with Mr Berry about the etiquette around getting off a plane.
The two were spotted joking at the G20 about what to do with one's elbows.
In an age of phone hacking and email interception, it must be handy to have a way to communicate with the envoy of the world's most powerful nation in private, even in plain sight.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

*you*

*love heart*

*my nether regions*

*small penis*

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yeah the last one is deffo about a tiny cock.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Maybe she was talking to Sir Coq? He was there I think.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Matthew Beet posted:

Maybe she was talking to Sir Coq? He was there I think.

Media Beet up.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

VICPOL-MEGAPOST

Splitsville.

quote:

Victorian state election: Abortion issue throws Buninyong campaign into disarray

The Coalition campaign in a key marginal seat has been thrown into turmoil after the Nationals candidate moved to withdraw preferences for her Liberal colleague over his views on rolling back abortion reforms.

The seat of Buninyong, which takes in parts of Ballarat, is a three-cornered contest with the Nationals' Sonia Smith and the Liberals' Ben Taylor trying to unseat Labor's Geoff Howard, who has just a 1.6 per cent lead.

Traditionally, the Coalition partners preference each other ahead of other parties.

But Ms Smith has told Fairfax Media that she would not preference Mr Taylor on how-to-vote cards, which could be the difference in what is shaping up as a close battle.

Ms Smith said she felt "sick" after an Australian Christian Lobby candidates' forum on Friday night, in which she felt Mr Taylor revealed views to roll back abortion laws.

She said Mr Taylor had not clearly revealed his views on this issue, focusing on sticking to party lines on other topics.
"He has just been a salesman for the party," she said. "These views need to be brought to light. For me it was very disturbing, even though it was a Christian view, but not everyone agrees with that view."

Ms Smith said she would leave it up to voters to decide who to preference and would not commit to saying voters should preference Labor over Mr Taylor.

But in a blow to Ms Smith, the Nationals said preferences were a matter for the party's president and state director. The Liberal Party referred Fairfax Media to the Nationals' statement.

Ms Smith, a former Liberal Party member, described the situation as a "dilemma", however. Given the marginal nature of the seat it could throw Mr Taylor's campaign into turmoil.

The Liberal Party has spent a huge amount of time and resources in the seat hoping it can counteract losses in Melbourne.

It is understood that the Nationals have put few resources into winning the seat, with resources devoted to other campaigns ahead of Buninyong.

"I can't live with myself, that we are going to put someone in who is going to be as divisive on that issue," Ms Smith said. "I am seeking to win. I should make that point. It is a serious issue, he should be running for Family First."

Mr Taylor wouldn't comment on preferences and the impact it could have on his campaign.

When asked if he planned to campaign within the Coalition to roll back abortion laws, he refused to answer, saying only: "One thing is very clear: the Premier has made it clear he will not change the laws in place."

Early this month, Unipollwatch reported that Ms Smith had some informal discussions with the Greens in the past.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/v...117-11ogtd.html

Well this seems above board:

quote:

The Napthine government paid elite private school Scotch College $5.4 million for a thin strip of land, taken for a road-widening project, that was previously valued at just over $1 million by the state's Valuer-General.
The payment was made by VicRoads in October last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/v...116-11nr17.html

and a 14th November polling update.

that I only just saw because I'm doing a poo poo job of keeping up to date on it.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 18, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ is Victoria really going to shove Naptime back into the driver's seat

alt joke answer: murder everyone over 55

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus christ is Victoria really going to shove Naptime back into the driver's seat

Where are you getting that from :confused:

If the liberals were to win this it would be a bigger surprise than bracks defeating kennet.

Half-Term Ted and No-Wins Napthine

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I was reading the first column and preferred premiere. :v:

I still stand by my second point though

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

First column is the 2010 election results. Second is polling last month, third and rest is all the latest polling.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I was reading the first column and preferred premiere. :v:

I still stand by my second point though

Anyone over 55+ who doesn't live in Melbourne.

edit: (sorry cartoon)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Murder everyone who isn't a 25-39 year old female.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Murder my are self

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Murder lots of them though, just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yesssss, safe again!

• Locked thread