Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolek
May 1, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

am i the only one getting totally triggered by everyone posting about the "black spaceman" as if he didnt have a name and had no characterization beyond being black?!?

Weird how everyone talked about whiteo Damon space dementia (Armageddon far superior movie btw) while ignoring black man who was stuck by himself on a lovely tin can for 23 years and didnt break down like some pussy bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Bolek posted:

Weird how everyone talked about whiteo Damon space dementia (Armageddon far superior movie btw) while ignoring black man who was stuck by himself on a lovely tin can for 23 years and didnt break down like some pussy bitch

now thats a good point

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

sandra bullock was good in that movie

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bolek posted:

The way Damon's character was described it seems more like he was super narcissistic and couldn't handle the failure of his mission. Even the killing everyone part makes sense then, since only he will remember his failure and he will be the adam of the new humans on top. His stupid monologue is typical too, since he doesn't expect anyone else to hear it, at the same time trying to justify everything.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Bolek posted:

this is really profound holy poo poo

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Under the Skin was a bit eeeeeeeeeeeeh. It was a tour guide of a dampest areas of Scotland and constant pictures of her naked.

Good movie I guess.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So total apples to oranges here but i'm basing the question off of the reason i could have either seen this or nightcrawler and picked nightcrawler, so has anyone else seen that as well because i need to base my opinions purely off what other people say so i really dont know how to feel right now

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Guardians of the galaxy was a good movie, and I hope there'll be sequel(s)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
theyre already makin one

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

people overestimate the whole power of love plot point basically it only comes into play at the end so that coop can navigare the tesseract

movie had lot of stupid writing but i was too busy looking at pretty things to care

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Bolek posted:

He knew his crew was coming back. M Damon had a good chance of being stranded forever.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
guys power of love totally has something to do with quantum entanglement , a combination of words i know

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Top City Homo posted:

guys power of love totally has something to do with quantum entanglement , a combination of words i know

tesseract hypercube strange attractors dark matter

also someone in cd posted an interview where nolan says he intentionally mixed the audio lovely so you cant hear the dialogue and theres retards actually defending it now going "no see the sound is intentionally poo poo so it's genios!"

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
what if matthew mccnnahuge had to go poopy in the hypercube? was there a toilet?

E: maybe there's a tesseract hypertoilet where he can see all the poops he has ever done, and maybe even influence past poops through gravity

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
when i was naughty as a child my parents often sent me to the hypercube

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The ending was fascinating because I got to see deus ex machina in its natural habitat.

I was trying to figure out who would've designed robots to be featureless slabs. Then I realized it was Kubrick.

The parts that showed spaceships doing spaceship stuff were pretty good.

They could have easily cut out about an hour of the tiring melodrama.

It was way too loud. Like painfully loud.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i forsee matt damon's death speech to become a meme with his voice dubbed over with an rear end in a top hat politician saying something pompous before decompression

like i could see mitt romney's 50% tax speech in there

also please space matt damon irl

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Top City Homo posted:

i forsee matt damon's death speech to become a meme with his voice dubbed over with an rear end in a top hat politician saying something pompous before decompression

like i could see mitt romney's 50% tax speech in there

also please space matt damon irl

didnt he reserve a seat on that richard branson spaceship that crashed? bad timing, god

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think Jupiter Ascending might be cool, but I have no solid evidence to back that up.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mange Mite posted:

didnt he reserve a seat on that richard branson spaceship that crashed? bad timing, god

inshallah

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bolek posted:

Romilly (the black spaceman) is pretty much the worst black stereotype in films, rarely seen these days: the kindly, wise black caretaker (slave) who tells fanciful stories to the younger whites he looks after.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The original script of Interstellar

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the black dude served no function but to get blown up, being black was incidental

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tricky D posted:

the black dude served no function but to get blown up, being black was incidental

if you think about it, no one served any function except the robots and meth-ew mcuntley

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it was pretty bad how the movie telegraphed that everyone besides coop and brand were goners cuz they were useless to the plot and had almost no personality

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Matt McConnelly did not wear a shirt with naked babes on them this is a concession to the feminazis of tumblr

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The Real Foogla posted:

The way Damon's character was described it seems more like he was super narcissistic and couldn't handle the failure of his mission. Even the killing everyone part makes sense then, since only he will remember his failure and he will be the adam of the new humans on top. His stupid monologue is typical too, since he doesn't expect anyone else to hear it, at the same time trying to justify everything.

Now we know what really happened to Jason Bourne :tinfoil:

e:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

So total apples to oranges here but i'm basing the question off of the reason i could have either seen this or nightcrawler and picked nightcrawler, so has anyone else seen that as well because i need to base my opinions purely off what other people say so i really dont know how to feel right now

You chose correctly, Nightcrawler is much better than this movie (no, really)

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 18, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You just know cougarmilfs wanna jump wormholes so they can go clubbing with their kids

"Hahaha I'm not actually his/her sister. I'm his mooom can you believe it!?"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i really want to see nightcrawler and birdman

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mulefisk posted:

what if matthew mccnnahuge had to go poopy in the hypercube? was there a toilet?

E: maybe there's a tesseract hypertoilet where he can see all the poops he has ever done, and maybe even influence past poops through gravity

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Dark Knight (with Heath Ledger's awesome Joker) was a real, true masterpiece. From the intense and well-placed musical score to the timing to all of the set pieces to fuckin Tiny Lister throwing the bomb detonator off of the jailbird ferry, it hit so many good notes. Not quite flawless, but imo his best film (certainly way, way better than Interstellar).

Dark Knight Rises, not so much.

I think it will be the one movie of Nolan's that holds up into, say, the 2020s, because his style of exposition-heavy dialogue where every character explicitly tells you what they stand for works best in a superhero mileu. Superheroes are basically theatrical, symbol-heavy archetypes and that naturally works with what Nolan does. (I haven't seen Memento though so that might hold up as his best too idk).

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I like to believe that he was in the tesseract for billions of years as time is meaningless in the cube

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Top City Homo posted:

if you think about it, no one served any function except the robots and meth-ew mcuntley

That 14 year boy played by Anne Hatheway had to tell the audience about the power of love

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Watermelon posted:

I like to believe that he was in the tesseract for billions of years as time is meaningless in the cube

it's not really him, its his greatx100-grandson out to finally bang his grandma

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tricky D posted:

That 14 year boy played by Anne Hatheway had to tell the audience about the power of love

it really was quantum entanglement for dummies.txt

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

babypolis posted:

i really want to see nightcrawler and birdman

Nightcrawler and Birdman are both amazing, and if you put them together they're still only a tenth as long as Christopher Nolan's sprawling 30 hour long love letter to a more talented, more dead, director. A striking paucity of mealy mouthed science worship- thinly veiled with True Love pablum to make it look like art- however, basically make those other two "movies" right wing christian propaganda by comparison, and I will much enjoy taking them down a notch on Facebook. At the end of the day? I'm siding with the guy who thinks crafting a story is not unlike submitting a paper to your physics professor and being ok with the C- grade you get.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

I think it will be the one movie of Nolan's that holds up into, say, the 2020s, because his style of exposition-heavy dialogue where every character explicitly tells you what they stand for works best in a superhero mileu. Superheroes are basically theatrical, symbol-heavy archetypes and that naturally works with what Nolan does. (I haven't seen Memento though so that might hold up as his best too idk).

Memento is pretty good, but I remember it being worse than Nolan's average in terms of the characters verbally explaining everything that is happening while it's happening.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Nightcrawler and Birdman are both amazing, and if you put them together they're still only a tenth as long as Christopher Nolan's sprawling 30 hour long love letter to a more talented, more dead, director. A striking paucity of mealy mouthed science worship- thinly veiled with True Love pablum to make it look like art- however, basically make those other two "movies" right wing christian propaganda by comparison, and I will much enjoy taking them down a notch on Facebook. At the end of the day? I'm siding with the guy who thinks crafting a story is not unlike submitting a paper to your physics professor and being ok with the C- grade you get.

source your quotes please

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Flesh Forge posted:

source your quotes please

I don't know their name, but just from reading it I would guess some sort of sexy heroic genius wrote that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Just wanted to jump onboard the "Nightcrawler is good" bandwagon.

• Locked thread