Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Homeworld : Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica :: Homeworld 2 : Season 4 of Battlestar Galactica

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Homeworld 1 : Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica :: Homeworld 2 : Season 4 of Battlestar Galactica

Ouch but true. I did like the improvements to interface which Homeworld 2 had compared with the first attack craft automatically in squadrons was something I preferred I also managed to struggle through more of the campaign. I completely missed cataclysm.

Really enjoying this lets play

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I remember spending about 4 hours salvaging every single one of the ion cannon frigates that made up the sphere.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Saint Celestine posted:

I remember spending about 4 hours salvaging every single one of the ion cannon frigates that made up the sphere.

Shhhhh. Haven't gotten there yet!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Saint Celestine posted:

I remember spending about 4 hours salvaging every single ship in the future

Souns like you needed more salvagers/carriers. At least I think Carriers can be a forward base for salvagers. Or did I miss a bit in the vids where it was mentioned that all salvage has to go back to the Mothership for repurposing?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Souns like you needed more salvagers/carriers. At least I think Carriers can be a forward base for salvagers. Or did I miss a bit in the vids where it was mentioned that all salvage has to go back to the Mothership for repurposing?
Salvage Corvettes will drag their prey back to the nearest ship that said prey can fit into. Fighters, Corvettes & Frigates can fit into Carriers. The exceptions are the Turanic Ion Array Frigate (which can't fit into a Carrier and has to go into the Mommyship's big side door) and "plot"-salvage like the one from lost mission (which always goes back to the Mommyship).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But mysteriously, retiring an ion array frigate will have it float into the little door like all the other frigates.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
A retired ship has no need to survive its final dock and can just go wherever, its fine.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dabir posted:

But mysteriously, retiring an ion array frigate will have it float into the little door like all the other frigates.

Ion Array Frigates go into port they want to.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

"Breather mission" heh.

I remember always wasting more in this level on bombers than I should, making the next level even harder.

On a side note, I wanted to ask if I was imagining a mission where the fleet decided to go after the Turanic raiders to a metal-covered planet back when I first played this game.
Apparently I didn't, I just owned a different version of the game for some reason.
Later I played the normal version and I always missed that mission.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now that would be an amazing thing to include in the HD version.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
That mission was on a pre order / bonus disk. It did not have the full game, just that single mission.

E: It was the first 4 missions of original hw + a new bonus mission.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 18, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Crash74 posted:

That mission was on a pre order / bonus disk. It did not have the full game, just that single mission.

It had the first 4 missions then the bonus mission then it ended afterwards.

It also had full Skirmish and Multiplayer modes, which I mainly played back in the day.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Did the multi player work with the release version of hw?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Did the multi player work with the release version of hw?

Yes it did! Alas, the servers are now dead, so we have to wait for Gearbox to get news ones for HW:HD to play against other people.

So, seeing at the lack of a majority response one way or the other, I've decided to do both regarding the next Skirmish Mission. One version will be cut and subtitled, the other will be Uncut and commentated. Given that it's almost 40 minutes long, I would like 2-3 people willing to chat. Who's up for that?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
I'd be up for it depending on when you want to do it and what timezone you're in (I'm British, so GMT - though I'm on holiday this week so I can be pretty flexible with times).

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'd be up for it, also depending on time zone and schedule.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm not doing much except resting in the near future, so I'd probably be down for talking about spaceships and homeworlds.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Depending on the time I would totally be down to talking about the Bananaship.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Alright, every one interested, Skype me at berry.jon.w and we can get this ball rolling.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Anything we can identify you with other than that? Cause when I searched for that I got something like 30 jon berrys But no berryjons.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zebrin posted:

Anything we can identify you with other than that? Cause when I searched for that I got something like 30 jon berrys But no berryjons.

The first entry should always be the one that matches the user ID, I think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zebrin posted:

Depending on the time I would totally be down to talking about the Bananaship.

Jokes on you, he'll skirmish with Sandwichship. :colbert:

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Oh no not the Toaster!

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

gently caress the Toaster. That thing is ugly... Though I do like some of the ship designs it's faction has.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This is a great mission in which to lose units you don't want to keep going forward.

And yes, my loss of those ships was deliberate.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
God drat those multi-beam frigates are finnicky. Like, I believe you when you say that you could keep them from killing each other if you tried, but it's dumb as hell that it's so hard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
And now, filler past, time to get back into the plot!

Also, it seemed like the "broken" missile cruiser was drifting away from the Mothership as it got pummeled by the bombers. Do weapons impart force/momentum on hit? Or was it just my imagination?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, looks like the Bentusi aren't going to be able to bring our case to the space UN after all.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PurpleXVI posted:

And now, filler past, time to get back into the plot!

Also, it seemed like the "broken" missile cruiser was drifting away from the Mothership as it got pummeled by the bombers. Do weapons impart force/momentum on hit? Or was it just my imagination?

Yep, weapons impart a small amount of force. It's not readily apparent most of the time, but ships that are not going anywhere make it obvious.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

berryjon posted:

This is a great mission in which to lose units you don't want to keep going forward.
---
And yes, my loss of those ships was deliberate.

Why would you lose them rather than retire them for the tasty tasty resources? Also, you could have done the attack move resourcer command for the bugged ship, but you already pointed that out. And there is a scuttle command you never tried for it. It is a pity it was bugged though.
By the by, you do know you can speed up the game by pressing "=" and slow it down by pressing "-" right? Or was that only in Cataclysm?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Noooo.....not the Multi-Beams!!! Why did you kill them off! :argh:

This mission was a pain in the rear end for me, since I took the long and safe path through the dust clouds, which were also riddled with mines. The orange background actually made it difficult for me to spot them so I had to turn off the skybox temporarily to be able to spot them and have my missile destroyers force attack them.

What was wrong with that missile destroyer to make you order your bombers to blow it up?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It had no engines.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Someone should have told those multibeam pilots not to drink on their way over to the station.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pretty sure those were not mines but Defender fighters in a unique formation.

And you could use strike crafts, you just have to carry them around in the Carrier. Heck, I bought the carrier along anyway for endless supply of repair corvettes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zebrin posted:

Why would you lose them rather than retire them for the tasty tasty resources? Also, you could have done the attack move resourcer command for the bugged ship, but you already pointed that out. And there is a scuttle command you never tried for it. It is a pity it was bugged though.

Oh, believe me, I tried that. The ship is bugged, and cannot move. It can't move, so it can't be retired. As for the Mutli-Beams, I did retire a few of them off screen last mission. And this isn't a perfect play-through game.

Zebrin posted:

By the by, you do know you can speed up the game by pressing "=" and slow it down by pressing "-" right? Or was that only in Cataclysm?

Only in Cataclysm!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

As pretty and gamebreaking giant streams of blue beams are now you can make a wall of assault frigates backed by support frigates like Sajuuk intended.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Something we haven't seen in the videos is the missile destroyer's z-attack, which dumps its entire missile load in a single volley (with an amusing cry of "Dump tubes! DUMP TUBES!" from the crew).

This is a spectacular alpha-strike - and since missiles in HW1 will track independently and chase another target if their first is destroyed, it will annihilate a strike craft wave or a mine wall in an instant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which didn't carry over to Cataclysm, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
As far as it stands, the attack on the station was a suicide mission. I wonder what's the crew supposed to be on the ships... And even if Homeworld had simulation of escape pods and gathering them to pick up crew, the nova would have toasted them :(

• Locked thread