Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Holy poo poo

First Contact: SBS program creates a frenzy on social media after viewers react to controversial show

The premiere of the controversial program First Contact on SBS last night has prompted a social media frenzy.

The show takes six non-Indigenous people who have never had contact with Aboriginal Australians and places them in Indigenous communities for the first time.

Accompanied by Ray Martin, the group spend 28 days immersed in Aboriginal culture as cameras capture their reactions.

"Over the next 28 days you and I are going on an amazing journey around this country of ours," Martin told the group of participants.

"You are going to see it in a different light. You're going to get a sense of what it must be like to be an Aboriginal Australian. But let me tell you it's not going to be an easy journey.

"You're going to be shocked, you're going to be confronted.

"I think it's going to be a real emotional rollercoaster."

Sandy, a 41-year-old mortgage broker told Martin at the beginning of the show that white people had better genes.

"If they are spending dole cheques on booze, don't give them their dole cheques," she said.

"When it comes to brains, white people have a better gene, a better make up.

"If you're out there and you're looking at f**king kangaroos jumping past and snakes and goannas, build a fire, how much more can you learn?

"If you think it's racist – I don't f**king care."

On her first night with Aboriginal hosts she said: "I'm not staying. I can't, I can't. I know what happens on those mattresses, and they all sleep on them with all their sweat and all their partying and all their boozing and their yahooing and I ain't sleeping on it. It's dirty."

Sandy quit the show half-way through.

Jasmine, 33, a mother of four who receives welfare payments to help support her family, said she did not believe Aboriginal people should be entitled to more welfare than white Australians.

"Because they've got the actual title as an Aboriginal - that entitles them to more say like welfare, like housing, free housing, free loans, so they get a lot more.

"I reckon the Aboriginal people get four times more than the amount we get."

On her first night with an Aboriginal family where her hosts put on a BBQ Jasmine said: "I was thinking that traditional Aboriginal people would be eating like bugs ... not like steak, and chops and salad and chicken."

Other contestants included supermarket worker Bo-Dene, 25, food nutrition student, Alice, 31, law enforcement officer, Trent, 28, and part-time photographer, Marcus, 23.

The second episode in the three-part series airs on Wednesday night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-19/sbs-program-first-contact-sparks-social-media-frenzy/5901890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is it that I call Centrelink and they tell me my wait time is over 900 minutes. What kind of call centre allows for such long waiting times? Is it true or do they put it there to tell you to gently caress off due to budget cuts?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Amethyst posted:

What do the ALP stand to lose by not supporting the FOFA modifications? I seriously don't understand why they are supporting it at all

They stand to lose corporate donors.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Palmersaurus posted:

Holy poo poo

First Contact: SBS program creates a frenzy on social media after viewers react to controversial show

The premiere of the controversial program First Contact on SBS last night has prompted a social media frenzy.

The show takes six non-Indigenous people who have never had contact with Aboriginal Australians and places them in Indigenous communities for the first time.

Accompanied by Ray Martin, the group spend 28 days immersed in Aboriginal culture as cameras capture their reactions.

"Over the next 28 days you and I are going on an amazing journey around this country of ours," Martin told the group of participants.

"You are going to see it in a different light. You're going to get a sense of what it must be like to be an Aboriginal Australian. But let me tell you it's not going to be an easy journey.

"You're going to be shocked, you're going to be confronted.

"I think it's going to be a real emotional rollercoaster."

Sandy, a 41-year-old mortgage broker told Martin at the beginning of the show that white people had better genes.

"If they are spending dole cheques on booze, don't give them their dole cheques," she said.

"When it comes to brains, white people have a better gene, a better make up.

"If you're out there and you're looking at f**king kangaroos jumping past and snakes and goannas, build a fire, how much more can you learn?

"If you think it's racist – I don't f**king care."

On her first night with Aboriginal hosts she said: "I'm not staying. I can't, I can't. I know what happens on those mattresses, and they all sleep on them with all their sweat and all their partying and all their boozing and their yahooing and I ain't sleeping on it. It's dirty."

Sandy quit the show half-way through.

Jasmine, 33, a mother of four who receives welfare payments to help support her family, said she did not believe Aboriginal people should be entitled to more welfare than white Australians.

"Because they've got the actual title as an Aboriginal - that entitles them to more say like welfare, like housing, free housing, free loans, so they get a lot more.

"I reckon the Aboriginal people get four times more than the amount we get."

On her first night with an Aboriginal family where her hosts put on a BBQ Jasmine said: "I was thinking that traditional Aboriginal people would be eating like bugs ... not like steak, and chops and salad and chicken."

Other contestants included supermarket worker Bo-Dene, 25, food nutrition student, Alice, 31, law enforcement officer, Trent, 28, and part-time photographer, Marcus, 23.

The second episode in the three-part series airs on Wednesday night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-19/sbs-program-first-contact-sparks-social-media-frenzy/5901890

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That show sounds really cool and interesting but there is no way in loving hell I am watching it

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Penny Wong voting to gently caress over so many people probably isn't new but I know it's probably against her true beliefs. Politics must be tough for some people.

Poor fuckin penny wong

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's about ten thousand times more cringe inducing than the UK office

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Looking for some advice from someone with knowledge of bargaining agreements (BCR?). Our workplace has begun negotiations for our new EBA. In our current EBA there is a provision regarding shift work, it defines shift work as only taking place if it is for 5 consecutive days.

Our workplace doesn't normally run shifts at all, but last year I did 3 days of night work and because of the EBA only got paid normal rates. Is this a typical EBA provision for shift work? Is there an industry standard?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

Poor fuckin penny wong

Pretty much. I can't help but feel no sympathy whatsoever for someone that fucks over the poor and underprivileged in the interest of maintaining their preselection with the Labor party. I guess I'm just a starry eyed lefty who doesn't get the real world and probably doesn't even have a job.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love the "white people have superior genes" argument when it's made by loving idiots. It only actually applies in any meaningful way to disease resistance, and that's only because Europe had a whole bunch of ridiculous plagues and outbreaks of influenza, combined with the fact that Europe is racially diverse, being mixed with Mongols, North Africans, Semites, Arabs and even Indians.

So yeah, if you want to use the biological resilience of European genes, as directly caused by racial mixing, as a reason to be a white supremacist, then sure go ahead. I hope you enjoy inbreeding and dying from genetic disease.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah Wong probably sleeps well at night. Oh well gently caress the ALP.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Why is it that I call Centrelink and they tell me my wait time is over 900 minutes. What kind of call centre allows for such long waiting times? Is it true or do they put it there to tell you to gently caress off due to budget cuts?

Something has either gone really wrong with their systems or they're being swamped by far higher than expected calls due to events, budgets cuts don't help.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Endman posted:

I love the "white people have superior genes" argument when it's made by loving idiots. It only actually applies in any meaningful way to disease resistance, and that's only because Europe had a whole bunch of ridiculous plagues and outbreaks of influenza, combined with the fact that Europe is racially diverse, being mixed with Mongols, North Africans, Semites, Arabs and even Indians.

So yeah, if you want to use the biological resilience of European genes, as directly caused by racial mixing, as a reason to be a white supremacist, then sure go ahead. I hope you enjoy inbreeding and dying from genetic disease.

Lactase supremacy.

Although the ability to enjoy dairy is kind of beaten by the fact that merely walking outdoors without covering myself in chemicals can result in burning my skin off.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I should also mention that Europeans have a massively overdeveloped cognitive-dissonance cortex that leads them to believe in really stupid poo poo despite all evidence to the contrary. Like the legitimacy of imperial colonialism as a civilising force.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Lactase supremacy.

Although the ability to enjoy dairy is kind of beaten by the fact that merely walking outdoors without covering myself in chemicals can result in burning my skin off.

I get my milky white skin from my milky white beverages. Or because my ancestors had a thing for literally stealing the food from the mouths of babes. Hell, my white contemporaries are figuratively still doing it with the defunding of the poor and orphans.

Australians: We're loving terrible.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

I should also mention that Europeans have a massively overdeveloped cognitive-dissonance cortex that leads them to believe in really stupid poo poo despite all evidence to the contrary. Like the legitimacy of imperial colonialism as a civilising force.

Europeans were hardly the only colonists.

Endman
May 18, 2010

open24hours posted:

Europeans were hardly the only colonists.

Yes, but I haven't encountered anything like the Fabians outside of Europe :v:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Speaking as a family carer for someone on the DSP I'm not really surprised or upset with the proposed plans for reassessment; the previous system was quite absurd compared to the very rigorous new system which has been around since I think 2010-ish. The whole portability issue is also a bit of a non-event since mostly people on the DSP simply cannot afford overseas holidays of any kind, although obviously I am speaking from my own personal experience of DSP recipients and generalising somewhat.

Overall though the legislation can't escape its origins as an attack on the disabled and the general LNP push towards the homogenisation and degradation of welfare. This from a government who went to the last election committed to the NDIS and who went into the 2010 election promising a massive mental health reform package. This from a social services minister who announces massive cuts to the unemployed, disabled, elderly and other vulnerable members of society days before major Christian holidays, a religion he purports to be a fervent believer and follower of.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

hot carling academy
Jul 20, 2008

Anidav posted:

It's been like that for ages, surprising what a lack of funding and staff can do. For most it'd be quicker to physically go in to your nearest office and wait there instead. Efficiency!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hooman posted:

I get my milky white skin from my milky white beverages. Or because my ancestors had a thing for literally stealing the food from the mouths of babes. Hell, my white contemporaries are figuratively still doing it with the defunding of the poor and orphans.

Australians: We're loving terrible.

Auspol December: We're loving terrible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Current state of the Senate: Coalition have lost every motion to stop the disallowance motion to reexamine the FoFA regulations. It's been a total farce: Cormann arguing that no one would want to cancel a contract with a financial advisor (among many, many other silly things), Abetz screeching that the baby would be thrown out with the bathwater and what the crossbenches need is a breather (some projection right there), and Macdonald just talking poo poo for so long my brain shut down and deleted it.

When we finally got off the topic, the first speech was from Bridget McKenzie Vic Nats (who has a massive office here in bendigo that everyone avoids) attacking a union official for corruption and linking it all to Daniel Andrews. A party political attack ad under privilege because clearly the Nats can't afford proper TV ads or something.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

az posted:

When I was a child I wanted to live in australia because all I knew about it was kangaraoos, cool nature stuff and the great barrier reef. I don't tell that to anyone anymore.

FWIW we're trying to destroy the reef and nature stuff as quickly as possible.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

cpaf posted:

Speaking as a family carer for someone on the DSP I'm not really surprised or upset with the proposed plans for reassessment; the previous system was quite absurd compared to the very rigorous new system which has been around since I think 2010-ish. The whole portability issue is also a bit of a non-event since mostly people on the DSP simply cannot afford overseas holidays of any kind, although obviously I am speaking from my own personal experience of DSP recipients and generalising somewhat.

Overall though the legislation can't escape its origins as an attack on the disabled and the general LNP push towards the homogenisation and degradation of welfare. This from a government who went to the last election committed to the NDIS and who went into the 2010 election promising a massive mental health reform package. This from a social services minister who announces massive cuts to the unemployed, disabled, elderly and other vulnerable members of society days before major Christian holidays, a religion he purports to be a fervent believer and follower of.

The portability stuff seems like a bizarre change. Presumably it's in place to prevent people from getting on the DSP and then leaving for a cheaper country (and continuing to receive the DSP), but you already can't do that at 6 weeks limit. As you say, most people on the DSP can't afford overseas trips anyway. I have to wonder why they even bothered.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Murodese posted:

The portability stuff seems like a bizarre change. Presumably it's in place to prevent people from getting on the DSP and then leaving for a cheaper country (and continuing to receive the DSP), but you already can't do that at 6 weeks limit. As you say, most people on the DSP can't afford overseas trips anyway. I have to wonder why they even bothered.
You aren't really truly without hope until you have had your face rubbed in it (see also Mutual Obligation Activity).

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hot carling academy posted:

It's been like that for ages, surprising what a lack of funding and staff can do. For most it'd be quicker to physically go in to your nearest office and wait there instead. Efficiency!

The lack of funding and staff has actually resulted in many of the centrelink services only being possible online. Regardless as to whether the process can be done entirely via their web portal. All going in physically achieves is a referral to their website. Which in many cases results in a referral to call centrelink. As what they required had to be vetted by a person anyway.

It can be a maddening time consuming experience that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Pred1ct posted:

Looking for some advice from someone with knowledge of bargaining agreements (BCR?). Our workplace has begun negotiations for our new EBA. In our current EBA there is a provision regarding shift work, it defines shift work as only taking place if it is for 5 consecutive days.

Our workplace doesn't normally run shifts at all, but last year I did 3 days of night work and because of the EBA only got paid normal rates. Is this a typical EBA provision for shift work? Is there an industry standard?

Don't know much but I'd hope they can't legally get away with paying flat rate for nightshift if you're a full-time employee. I don't know how industry standards or awards help any more as they may be able to sign them away in the name of 'flexibility'.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ironically, this. It is far quicker to go into a Centrelink office and wait there. If they tell you to do it over the phone/on the net, tell them that you'd much prefer to deal with it in person. Also mention that there's a 900 minute (15 HOUR) waiting period on the phone and you don't have a computer because you sold it off for food.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why does The Aus always make a point of mentioning that SBS is "more efficient" than the ABC? I figure they do it purely as another way to make the ABC sound like a liberal moneypit but is there anything more to it that I'm missing?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why does The Aus always make a point of mentioning that SBS is "more efficient" than the ABC? I figure they do it purely as another way to make the ABC sound like a liberal moneypit but is there anything more to it that I'm missing?
SBS advertise and so aren't inherently lefty scum with no redeeming features what-so-ever.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
First Contact racist 'just up and left", says Martin

Pauline Hanson returns to One Nation

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Haha no, I've been waiting in this Centrelink office since 10am Brisbane time :suicide:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Turnbull at some press conference talked for about 3 minutes to explain how when abbott said no cuts to the abc or sbs he didnt mean no cuts to the abc or sbs.

Also welcome back pauline hanson! A golden age of australian politics.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Haha no, I've been waiting in this Centrelink office since 10am Brisbane time :suicide:

Which office is it? If it's Toowong that's crazy, I'm usually in and out in an hour the few times I've had to go in (namely applying for Austudy and submitting documents for the claim).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Have you ever considered writing your memoirs and turning them into a hilariously dark comedy for the ABC where you receive terrible advice from people from the internet and your life turns into a hilarious spiral of job exploitation, racism and Queensland?

I mean, you should be pitching this, if the ABC ever get enough funds to produce any new content.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

katlington posted:

Turnbull at some press conference talked for about 3 minutes to explain how when abbott said no cuts to the abc or sbs he didnt mean no cuts to the abc or sbs.

Also welcome back pauline hanson! A golden age of australian politics.

Is it because anyone who has ever met a Tory should know they are lying vermin fit only for death?

Also Pauline Hanson would provide a contrasting and compassionate voice compared to the bipartisan death cult that now holds sway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Which office is it? If it's Toowong that's crazy, I'm usually in and out in an hour the few times I've had to go in (namely applying for Austudy and submitting documents for the claim).

Mitchelton.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is it because anyone who has ever met a Tory should know they are lying vermin fit only for death?

Also Pauline Hanson would provide a contrasting and compassionate voice compared to the bipartisan death cult that now holds sway.

ABC, 2011: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-22/abbott-defends-broken-promise/2805876 posted:

"But when a government goes to an election saying there will be no carbon tax and then decides a couple of months later that there must be a carbon tax, it has to seek a mandate from the people, otherwise the Australian public are entitled to feel totally ripped off," he said.

"There should be no tax collection without an election, and if this Prime Minister tries to sneak this bad tax based on a lie through a parliament with no mandate, the Australian public are going to feel very ripped off and angry.

"She knew exactly what she was doing and you can't make that kind of a categoric (sic) statement six days out from an election and then as soon as the election's over, to save your own skin, do the opposite.

"It's this lie which is destroying the government."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In an age where traditional media organisations are facing new challenges, the existence of a public broadcaster as a direct competitor is unconscionable.

• Locked thread