Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

morallyobjected posted:

I appreciate the joke in German, but man does it seem a bit obtuse for this game.

Eh, I dunno about in Europe, but in America the meaning is about as well known as "si" from Spanish. It's common enough that I've got no qualms with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it absolutely hilarious how incredibly, but pointlessly, accurate the Team Plasma ship is. They managed to perfectly hit between buildings, never hitting any building.

For blatantly evil people, they sure are nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious how incredibly, but pointlessly, accurate the Team Plasma ship is. They managed to perfectly hit between buildings, never hitting any building.

For blatantly evil people, they sure are nice.

Hostile takeovers kinda suck if the place you're trying to claim gets ruined in the process.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Hostile takeovers kinda suck if the place you're trying to claim gets ruined in the process.

Besides, everyone knows that in Pokemon-land, people can only walk on certain roads and if you block those off then buddy the populace is just stuck (unless they all have HMs and can Fly out of town too). Plasma's just being smart about how to control the people.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The dumbest/best/craziest part of the game's story is here. :munch:

In any other game "SKY PIRATES WITH ICE CANNONS" and "DRAGON GENE SPLICING" would be enough crazy, but this isn't any other game. Oh the iceberg goes so much deeper...

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I love just how ridiculously and hilariously unsafe Drayden's gym is in this game. Not even a handle of anything for you to hold onto while the huge, fuckoff dragon statues are slamming into each other. If it wasn't for the fact that Skyla's is around then Opelucid Gym would totally be taking home some kind of reckless endangerment award. :allears:

Incidentally, I can't help but find myself wondering just how Drayden's team would have changed had Fairy types been introduced one gen earlier. Would his Druddigon be packing Poison Jab? Iron Tail on Haxorus? Pointless speculation I know but it's fun to think about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

I love just how ridiculously and hilariously unsafe Drayden's gym is in this game. Not even a handle of anything for you to hold onto while the huge, fuckoff dragon statues are slamming into each other. If it wasn't for the fact that Skyla's is around then Opelucid Gym would totally be taking home some kind of reckless endangerment award. :allears:

Personally, I don't think it beats Clair's Gym just straight up having lava in it that you had to cross via boulder.

To fully immerse yourself, get a Machoke with Strength and name him Chris.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
This whole game really is the most final fantasy of all the pokemon games. I miss the simpler times.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Simpler times were still pretty fuckin' stupid. Just not as over-the-top about it.

I'd honestly take Neo-Plasma over the likes of Aqua and Magma. At least they have some idea on what they're doing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I found Black/White 2 to be slightly tedious compared to Black/White and this was the point where I left to do a different game for a bit. It's funny, but I just couldn't invest myself at that point.
I did ultimately come back to finish the game, I couldn't keep my gang hanging. :unsmith:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 18, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Geostomp posted:

I guess after that, there's not too many places to go, so we have Ghetsis being a randomly evil cackling villain and whatever Lysandre's deal was.

They kind of buried the lead with Lysandre, his weird-rear end nonsensical plan is built on the fact that he wants the ultimate weapon. He wants to get his hands on a massive goddamn cannon that, depending on your version, either spews pure destruction or immortality. How did they have that idea, and then decide that Lysandre needed more than just 'I want that fuckin cannon'?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

StrifeHira posted:

Simpler times were still pretty fuckin' stupid. Just not as over-the-top about it.

I'd honestly take Neo-Plasma over the likes of Aqua and Magma. At least they have some idea on what they're doing.

Aqua and Magma were super dumb, it's true. I was thinking more of Rocket's "I just want to make money because I'm literally the mafia".

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I think the weird thing is that this gen takes its villains so seriously. I suppose Magma and Aqua were somewhat of a threat in-game, but nothing to the extent that they ran around in airships firing ice crystals. This just feels like they were trying to make a weird action movie.

In other words, I love it, and I love that cutscene because it is so bad. I'm glad I can now access it whenever I want.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ryushikaze posted:

Man, the outfits and stuff in the Pokestar studio are nifty. It would've been really nice to see the game let you keep them as alternate looks for the main character.

I also really like Sabrina's costume, though I've always been partial to her design, old and new.

Oh, while BW still has the best plot, Lysandre's stupidity doesn't come out of nowhere, it comes from Gundam. The man is pokemon Char Aznable, right down to the plan to depopulate everything to make life better for those who remain, his obsession with red, and his funnels when you fight him for the last time. A team flare grunt in Lumiose even makes the three times faster reference.
Huh, and I just thought it was middle-of-the-Roger-Moore-era Bond Villainy. All he needed was a henchman called Jaws.

Team Flare as a whole make me think of Futurists, what with their avant garde attitudes (or at least, the avant garde attitudes they think they have) and desire to smash up the past so it doesn't hold the future back.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."

StrifeHira posted:

The dumbest/best/craziest part of the game's story is here. :munch:

In any other game "SKY PIRATES WITH ICE CANNONS" and "DRAGON GENE SPLICING" would be enough crazy, but this isn't any other game. Oh the iceberg goes so much deeper...

I feel like you are seriously underselling how weird most JRPGs are. Sure, there's the token few political ones like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle that are somewhat grounded in reality (and when they depart from it, it's over-the-top because of the tonal shift). But most of them tend to open with the crazy Sky Pirates and Dragon Genes and then just run with it all game. Skies of Arcadia and Breath of Fire specifically use those tropes, but really anything from the Tales series or Disgaea series has equally action-movie-cliche badassery.

If anything, Pokemon is more grounded than normal for most JRPGs, despite its magibeast cockfight premise.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Aqua and Magma were super dumb, it's true. I was thinking more of Rocket's "I just want to make money because I'm literally the mafia".

Eh, even the Rockets were kinda a bunch of morons, if not in goals themselves then in execution of said goals. Sticking around at the scene of your crimes, "I'm guarding this poster, go away!", "OH NO! I DROPPED THE LIFT KEY.", "Booooossss come back we miss you we took a Radio Tower over to call you back boooooossss :cry:", etc.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I feel like you are seriously underselling how weird most JRPGs are. Sure, there's the token few political ones like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle that are somewhat grounded in reality (and when they depart from it, it's over-the-top because of the tonal shift). But most of them tend to open with the crazy Sky Pirates and Dragon Genes and then just run with it all game. Skies of Arcadia and Breath of Fire specifically use those tropes, but really anything from the Tales series or Disgaea series has equally action-movie-cliche badassery.

If anything, Pokemon is more grounded than normal for most JRPGs, despite its magibeast cockfight premise.

Tonal shift, then. Both of those former examples have it more ingrained into their games' stories and mechanics a tad better, latter two are one that parodies and pokes fun at the tropes and cliches of a ton of different things, and the other is, well, the Tales of series.

This meanwhile comes out of left field swinging a hockey stick and doesn't stop running until it throws it to the ground and starts shouting that it scored a touchdown (and then is tackled to the ground by security).

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Ryushikaze posted:

Man, the outfits and stuff in the Pokestar studio are nifty. It would've been really nice to see the game let you keep them as alternate looks for the main character.

I also really like Sabrina's costume, though I've always been partial to her design, old and new.

Oh, while BW still has the best plot, Lysandre's stupidity doesn't come out of nowhere, it comes from Gundam. The man is pokemon Char Aznable, right down to the plan to depopulate everything to make life better for those who remain, his obsession with red, and his funnels when you fight him for the last time. A team flare grunt in Lumiose even makes the three times faster reference.

I actually agree with you on the Pokestar studios front, if only because the default outfits for both player characters are super dumb. Plus, it'd give you more of a reason to do Pokestar studios than "Get fucktons of healing items really early in the game". I, for one, would love running around the game as the Sneasel Ninja. Just ratchet the game's silliness up to 11.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

StrifeHira posted:

Eh, even the Rockets were kinda a bunch of morons, if not in goals themselves then in execution of said goals. Sticking around at the scene of your crimes, "I'm guarding this poster, go away!", "OH NO! I DROPPED THE LIFT KEY.", "Booooossss come back we miss you we took a Radio Tower over to call you back boooooossss :cry:", etc.

Gotta admit, no matter how bad the Teams get, no one is more pathetic than Johto's Team Rocket and their master plan to beg somebody competent to come lead them again.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

VinnyDonuts posted:

because the default outfits for both player characters are super dumb.

I feel like this is the second major reason (after most of the game thus far being a boring slog) I haven't done as many drawings for this game as I did for Black. I hate Rosa and Hugh's designs and with Vinny I honestly forget his details every time I draw him and need to look up past drawings. I've flat out just stopped drawing his stupid visor. There's just a distinct lack of characters with fun designs I want to draw showing up regularly.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

aidoru posted:

I think the weird thing is that this gen takes its villains so seriously. I suppose Magma and Aqua were somewhat of a threat in-game, but nothing to the extent that they ran around in airships firing ice crystals. This just feels like they were trying to make a weird action movie.
That's kind of appropriate considering these games let you actually make weird action movies.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

aidoru posted:

In other words, I love it, and I love that cutscene because it is so bad. I'm glad I can now access it whenever I want.

On the other hand, I would have liked to see more of the villains actually attacking people. You see them going on and on about how powerful this latest cover legendary is, but they rarely do anything to prove how big of a threat the bad guys will be with it outside of maybe a cutscene and people acting worried. It's kind of hard to take villains that seriously if they don't cause any real damage or show real influence.

That said, it was pretty goofy here.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Chorocojo posted:

I feel like this is the second major reason (after most of the game thus far being a boring slog) I haven't done as many drawings for this game as I did for Black. I hate Rosa and Hugh's designs and with Vinny I honestly forget his details every time I draw him and need to look up past drawings. I've flat out just stopped drawing his stupid visor. There's just a distinct lack of characters with fun designs I want to draw showing up regularly.

On the other hand, we get Vinny's sketch drawings of pokemon, which are pretty rad.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
And I'm pretty sure that the next update will take us officially past the point where I stopped playing my copy. Looking forwards to the silliness that comes later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Gotta admit, no matter how bad the Teams get, no one is more pathetic than Johto's Team Rocket and their master plan to beg somebody competent to come lead them again.

Technically that makes it the best plan of all villain teams. They're aware that they aren't very good.
:downs: "We suck, we need someone to lead us!"
:downs::hf::downs:

Geostomp posted:

On the other hand, I would have liked to see more of the villains actually attacking people. You see them going on and on about how powerful this latest cover legendary is, but they rarely do anything to prove how big of a threat the bad guys will be with it outside of maybe a cutscene and people acting worried. It's kind of hard to take villains that seriously if they don't cause any real damage or show real influence.

That said, it was pretty goofy here.

Which teams have actually had catching the cover legendary as their main goal? :confused:
Team rocket didn't but was, before this ice assault, probably the most villainous team to the loser townfolk.
Team Flare also isn't actually after the cover legendary (was it always at the weapon or did they find their fossil somewhere?).
I'm not sure if I want to say that team Plasma B/W was after it either...I think it's complicated on that one.

I think it's amazing how a game series that isn't known for having good stories can actually have a story bad enough that it causes people to stop playing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Darth TNT posted:

I think it's amazing how a game series that isn't known for having good stories can actually have a story bad enough that it causes people to stop playing.

Well, there's a difference between lackluster writing and bad writing. It's just that some people think that Pokemon's excuses for a plot are best when they're laughably bad, as opposed to just kind of existing as an excuse to railroad the player into approaching the game in the "correct" order, and vice versa.

B2W2 has this odd problem where it toes both sides of the line, being railroady as gently caress and also being the most ludicrously stupid poo poo imaginable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The teams in Ruby/Sapphire were definitely after the respective cover legendary for their plans to dry up the seas and flood the world.

And I'd think Plasma hunting the other legendary in B/W counts, since the ultimate public plan was to use it to give N a sense of legitimacy to his demand for every trainer to release their 'mons after he became Champion.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Because I too would turn my pets out on the street if the Pope said owning animals was wrong. The details of that one are sort of... questionable. Though it beats Ghetsis building a giant mind control ray to brainwash everyone I suppose.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rangpur posted:

Because I too would turn my pets out on the street if the Pope said owning animals was wrong. The details of that one are sort of... questionable.

I think the intent was to have the Pope scare everyone into compliance by virtue of giant fuckoff dragon there.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

VinnyDonuts posted:

I actually agree with you on the Pokestar studios front, if only because the default outfits for both player characters are super dumb. Plus, it'd give you more of a reason to do Pokestar studios than "Get fucktons of healing items really early in the game". I, for one, would love running around the game as the Sneasel Ninja. Just ratchet the game's silliness up to 11.

What, not the Princess?

Chorocojo posted:

Rosa has a better design than Hugh, IMO, but apart from her hair buns, she is a bit bland, yes. Meanwhile, her Pokestar outfits, even her standard civilian schoolgirl one, has a better cut and color palette than her standard one.

Also, one thing this game did have that the series needs more of is previous gens gym leaders and elite four members showing up and being dorks/ tourists/ funny schmucks you can fight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the continuity from previous games. I think Pokemon could ride that rail forever if they wanted to, but there've really only been two continuity-based sequels right? Gold/Silver to Red/Blue/Green, since the first game is your postgame, and the obvious B2W2.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Ryushikaze posted:

What, not the Princess?

A close second, I assure you. Having a princess-off with you-know-who would be pretty much the greatest thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Glazius posted:

I do like the continuity from previous games. I think Pokemon could ride that rail forever if they wanted to, but there've really only been two continuity-based sequels right? Gold/Silver to Red/Blue/Green, since the first game is your postgame, and the obvious B2W2.

I think it's actually to their strength that they don't do that, but do have some faint links to the past. It retains a low barrier for entry (the target market is still children, after all), but still remains aware of and willing to embrace its past. The history doesn't get in the way and lose people who weren't there for it, but it's there and can be recognized.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I miss Gen 1 Team Rocket. I liked having an enemy focused on mafia-style thuggishness, like hostile takeovers, crooked gambling dens, poaching, and nonspecific crime sprees. The later teams have a bad habit of trying to jam a god into a Pokeball in the name of eco-terrorism or rage-quitting existence or whatever the gently caress Flare was trying. Giovanni also gets bonus points for not dressing like a tool, unlike every single other Evil Team Boss (Cyrus has an okay outfit too, but he tried to explode the universe or something, so screw him) Also Giovanni turning out to be the boss of the Viridian gym was the coolest thing when I was ten.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggiDee posted:

whatever the gently caress Flare was trying.

Kill everyone other then them and become immortal so they can rule over an eternally beautiful world. Also only the wealthy were allowed in Team Flare as you have to pay a fee of 5 Million Poke to join.

Apparently Lysandre hates poor people, because when he was doing the Philanthropist thing to make the world a better place the fact that the amount of aid he thought was enough to give out wasn't enough to stop requests for aid, which he proceeded to see not as insufficiency on his part, but solely greed on the underprivileged part.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Well, there's a difference between lackluster writing and bad writing. It's just that some people think that Pokemon's excuses for a plot are best when they're laughably bad, as opposed to just kind of existing as an excuse to railroad the player into approaching the game in the "correct" order, and vice versa.

B2W2 has this odd problem where it toes both sides of the line, being railroady as gently caress and also being the most ludicrously stupid poo poo imaginable.

And don't forget the pacing, which was bad even for Pokemon games.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kill everyone other then them and become immortal so they can rule over an eternally beautiful world. Also only the wealthy were allowed in Team Flare as you have to pay a fee of 5 Million Poke to join.

Apparently Lysandre hates poor people, because when he was doing the Philanthropist thing to make the world a better place the fact that the amount of aid he thought was enough to give out wasn't enough to stop requests for aid, which he proceeded to see not as insufficiency on his part, but solely greed on the underprivileged part.

So basically Lysandre is a dumbass?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

SaitoBatch posted:

So basically Lysandre is a dumbass?

Worse. He's a Libertarian.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say he is insane. As that was his main motivation for deciding that he should kill everyone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ablative posted:

Worse. He's a Libertarian.

But he also acts like the government in Libertarian tracts, what with his "If everybody can't have something, then NOBODY can have it! That way it's fair." spiel.

It's like they made a villain so that, no matter your political views, no matter your positions on using a giant bird monster to eat everyone's soul, you would be happier when he was dead.

And then they tried to act like he was ambiguous, because he was a douche in so many directions at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
In Y at least, Lysandra's motivation was that the world is running out of resources because there's too many humans/Pokemon, so they must all die so the chosen (rich) few can live, I can see where he's coming from, but blowing up humanity and pokemanity won't get people on your side.

• Locked thread