Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I seriously think I need that Pitch Fork :stare::fh:

does anyone know if it's polyphonic cause that octave down basically nails a bass sound and if I get one, bout time to start a powerviolence 2 piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think you're the one who rec'd it, thanks again man. The weird thing about it is that it definitely takes a lot of dedication to learn but then you realize there are very few bad sounds to get out of it. I've been using it for strange spaghetti western fuzz tones with P90s and the way it sits over a dark mix is something special. It's lively, organic, responds to dynamics perfectly and can absolutely tear the ceiling off if you want it to.

I was so close to selling it (sorry you know who <333333) and I'm glad I held onto it and wrangled it in. Might be a keeper for a long time.

Well I'm glad, but I got the recommendation from someone else on this forum so it just keeps going in circles. I hate to tell you but the Maxon 808 I got from you just fits with my sound so perfectly, I'll never part with that or the Algal Bloom.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think I'll be okay with Electra Distortion Variant > Fuzz Face Variant but honestly there are so many other sounds I like (treble booster, TS-style mid bump, gated fuzz, etc.) that I don't think I'll ever have a setup where it's "okay these are my pedals this is my sound done deal DONE DEAL"

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Anybody have the Flashback Delay x4? I can't find one to test out.

I want to know if the delay lvl, feedback and delay time function pretty close to other delay pedals.
Basically I want to do that thing where it delays infinitely and I turn down the delay time to make a wharbling mess of sound.
None of the videos show the feedback all of the way up.

Any of the competing pedals better than this? (line 6, vox)

I do need the looper, I am not picky of specific delay stuff, I love the stereo out and exp pedal options.

E:x4

philkop fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 11, 2014

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I was going to say "I have one" and then from your further points I figured out you were talking about the X4. :downs:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I'm in the market for a loop pedal and really don't want to buy more than I need. I'd probably only ever use 1 or 2 consecutive loops and probably wouldn't prerecord them. The TC Ditto and the Digitech JamMan Solo can be had for roughly the same amount used, anyone have a preference between the two? Is there a third option I'm ignoring?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

himajinga posted:

I'm in the market for a loop pedal and really don't want to buy more than I need. I'd probably only ever use 1 or 2 consecutive loops and probably wouldn't prerecord them. The TC Ditto and the Digitech JamMan Solo can be had for roughly the same amount used, anyone have a preference between the two? Is there a third option I'm ignoring?

Join the Ditto crew :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

For what you want the ditto sounds perfect.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Awesome thanks guys.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

philkop posted:

Anybody have the Flashback Delay x4? I can't find one to test out.

I want to know if the delay lvl, feedback and delay time function pretty close to other delay pedals.
Basically I want to do that thing where it delays infinitely and I turn down the delay time to make a wharbling mess of sound.
None of the videos show the feedback all of the way up.

Any of the competing pedals better than this? (line 6, vox)

I do need the looper, I am not picky of specific delay stuff, I love the stereo out and exp pedal options.

E:x4

None of the flashback derived pedals do this. You can turn feedback up to infinite but they never self oscilate, nor does the pitch change when you change the delaytime. There are a few self oscilating toneprints but they sound weird.

The delaylab does it, the line 6s do it. Boss DD20 doesent, DD7 does.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I finally have a pedalboard big enough to fit a volume pedal and now I'm wondering how feasible it is to use it for volume and expression. Something like a Boss FV 500 has expression out, but if I was using it as an expression (like to control delay time on a Moog MF) I wouldn't want it controlling volume at the same time. I should be able to put it in a bypass loop and disable/enable volume control that way, right? I'm wondering if there's a way to do the same thing for the expression side, too (with an A/B box instead of a looper), but I guess that would depend on how the specific effect reacts to having a cable plugged into the expression jack all the time. Does some or all of this make sense?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
In my experience, having something plugged into the jack (physically) is what triggers the expression mode.

They make expression pedal sharing type things, where when the expression pedal isn't engaged for something it maintains the last voltage across it you had.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

havelock posted:

In my experience, having something plugged into the jack (physically) is what triggers the expression mode.

They make expression pedal sharing type things, where when the expression pedal isn't engaged for something it maintains the last voltage across it you had.

Thanks for the heads up; I should have known stuff like that existed already. Unless there's something out there way cheaper than the Mission Expressionator I'll probably just forget about that part. $200 is a lot to spend for the off-chance that I ever need to do volume changes without changing delay time or whatever (or I could just buy another delay so I have one that isn't controlled by the expression pedal :getin:)

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
(x-post from Guitar thread)

My weird little guitar trio is going to be recording an electric album, an almost all of the pieces are going to be recorded DI. We'll be playing most things live as a trio (three electric guitars), though I am sure we'll be doing plenty of punch-ins and a little overdubbing.

We want to use ABY boxes so that we can split our signal and send it to our amps, as well as DI, for monitoring/performance purposes. Basically, we want it to feel like we're just playing the piece as we normally do, but also be sending a clean signal into the DI/computer.

My question: is there a real reason to go with the (way) more expensive ABY boxes like the Radial Tonebone and whatnot, at least for our purposes?

We're not going to two amps, so bleed seems like way less of an issue. I'd love to just spend $40-50 each on some Morleys or whatever else people think is decent, but I don't want to gently caress up my recording by being cheap.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Thinking about picking up a PODHD500 (or X)

Looking to have a condensed rig (I have no pedals now so "recreating" sounds I already had is not an issue.) I play through a JC-120, so I am a prime candidate for a modeler. I've never used a modeler or multi fx unit before.

I can't seem to find any reviews or videos that don't showcase the god awful preset sounds, but I feel like there are some secrets to unlock within that black box. I have a few key things I was concerned with though.

Is the looper sufficient enough to replace my stupid simple ditto looper? (This has become a staple of my practice routine.)

Do I still retain enough of the dynamics of my guitar?

Oddly specific, but can you really get into some of the parameters of the foot pedal? I'd like to do some delay effects that use the pedal to control the time and repeats of the delay.

What do you guys think?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

To be completely honest with you I would avoid those and try to get an eleven rack. Everyone seems to dig those. I had a POD HD500 and every single sound I could get was very flat and soulless. The cleans lacked any liveliness and the dirt tones were what most people consider awful solid state distortion. It's okay for a practice modeler but after months of tweaking I never got close to anything I would record with. Really, really didn't like it :shrug: if someone was just starting guitar and wanted a wide variety of sounds to find their own it may be worth it but it's way too hard for me to recommend one.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Kilometers Davis posted:

To be completely honest with you I would avoid those and try to get an eleven rack. Everyone seems to dig those. I had a POD HD500 and every single sound I could get was very flat and soulless. The cleans lacked any liveliness and the dirt tones were what most people consider awful solid state distortion. It's okay for a practice modeler but after months of tweaking I never got close to anything I would record with. Really, really didn't like it :shrug: if someone was just starting guitar and wanted a wide variety of sounds to find their own it may be worth it but it's way too hard for me to recommend one.

I feel you man. Thanks for the input. I'm still kind of interested but I'll definitely play with one first. What kind of amp or speaker did you run it through?

I don't know if my ears are broke or I just don't mind "lovely tone" but I've actually had loads of fun even with my JC 120's distortion (which is known for being the worst of the worst.) Then again $500 for some crummy sounds I could have fun with doesn't sound too great.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I used to play with a guy who had a pod for a few years. I never, ever liked the sound. The couple times he wound up not using it and just going through an old Bassman were wonderful.

I'm a big fan of the JC 120. I like to warm it up with a tube pedal or sometimes a fuzz. The distortion in the amp sounds kind of Fields of the Nephilim, or like an HM-2. It also changes character a lot with a treble booster or a Distortion+ in front of it.

If I lost all my pedals and had to start over, I still wouldn't get into modeling stuff. I'd much rather have a few good pedals on a small board, especially if I wasn't going to use a tube amp. Cold digital + solid state amp just doesn't sound good to me.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

I used to play with a guy who had a pod for a few years. I never, ever liked the sound. The couple times he wound up not using it and just going through an old Bassman were wonderful.

I'm a big fan of the JC 120. I like to warm it up with a tube pedal or sometimes a fuzz. The distortion in the amp sounds kind of Fields of the Nephilim, or like an HM-2. It also changes character a lot with a treble booster or a Distortion+ in front of it.

If I lost all my pedals and had to start over, I still wouldn't get into modeling stuff. I'd much rather have a few good pedals on a small board, especially if I wasn't going to use a tube amp. Cold digital + solid state amp just doesn't sound good to me.

LION GUY!, honestly when I was writing my post I was hoping you'd come around. I remember you being the other JC guy.

Never heard of the Fields. Sounded kind of like My Bauhaus Valentine, a mix of two of my favorite bands. I'll have to check out more.

Thanks for the second blow. I really wanted to believe in the pod man. I'm sure we've all been there.

On a side note, way back in the day you suggested I try to AB with my JC-120 and a tube amp. That's pretty much my setup now and I really dig it. Thanks for the advice. I use the EB volume panner (I think you mentioned not liking it.)

I might as well leave my thoughts on Panner Pedal for anyone else interested.

I love the Ernie Ball Volume Panner. It does have some issues that I just kind of grew around. Dead center is a little less volume than the edges, but I got used to it pretty quick. Another issue is that there is some bleed through when 100% pushed either way. Another deal breaker for some.

Honestly I got used to both of these issues almost instantly and I get some crazy new dynamics in my playing. I set up my JC with a nice mid scooped clean sound with some mild reverb and set up my Carvin V16 (little blues box tube amp) to full crunch with way more mids. I can rock between the two mid chord for a really cool effec, but what I love to do is to bring in the amps to add emphasis. For example: I could strum a heavy drenched chord and start emphasizing some picked notes by brining in the JC. The picked notes linger on through the reverb for a really cool effect. Mid solo it is nice to bring in some tube warmth on the ballsier notes.

I'll just make a recording or vid tomorrow. This poo poo is hard to explain. I could just show you in a minute. But all in all, consider me a fan.
The pedal is rock solid, and on many occasions I have used it like a standard volume pedal, and also as an exspression pedal (via the TLR cable trick.)

philkop fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 18, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

philkop posted:

Thinking about picking up a PODHD500 (or X)

Looking to have a condensed rig (I have no pedals now so "recreating" sounds I already had is not an issue.) I play through a JC-120, so I am a prime candidate for a modeler. I've never used a modeler or multi fx unit before.

I can't seem to find any reviews or videos that don't showcase the god awful preset sounds, but I feel like there are some secrets to unlock within that black box. I have a few key things I was concerned with though.

Is the looper sufficient enough to replace my stupid simple ditto looper? (This has become a staple of my practice routine.)

Do I still retain enough of the dynamics of my guitar?

Oddly specific, but can you really get into some of the parameters of the foot pedal? I'd like to do some delay effects that use the pedal to control the time and repeats of the delay.

What do you guys think?

Im gonna give disagree with Kilometers Davis I think the line 6 amp modelling sounds fine. I tried it against guitar rig and amplitube and I think most of those products at that price range are about comparable in sound quality with maybe amplitube having the edge.

I've never tried one of the high end models like an eleven rack or axefx but I've used PODs for ages.

If the looper is anything like the M13s looper the looper is a baller looper.

You can use the foot pedal to control any parameter you want. I currently use one to control delay feedback and time simulatiously so I can push the pedal down for a noise freakout.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It's nothing too special, but I feel good about finally having a real pedalboard. First time soldering patch cables, too!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thanks in part to this thread, i've been bitten by the Joyo pedals bug, and i was wondering if anyone here has tried the D-Seed Delay. i'm primarily interested in it for the Analog and Reverse modes (i wanna make some shoegaze noises, basically) and the fact that you can save settings for two modes is a big plus but reports seem conflicted as to whether you can get those cool self-oscillating sounds from it that you can from other analog delays.

someone's also selling a Way Huge Aqua Puss on craigslist for $75 and i hear those are great but i don't exactly have the money right now and it doesn't have the reverse mode.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

massive spider posted:

Im gonna give disagree with Kilometers Davis I think the line 6 amp modelling sounds fine. I tried it against guitar rig and amplitube and I think most of those products at that price range are about comparable in sound quality with maybe amplitube having the edge.

I've never tried one of the high end models like an eleven rack or axefx but I've used PODs for ages.

If the looper is anything like the M13s looper the looper is a baller looper.

You can use the foot pedal to control any parameter you want. I currently use one to control delay feedback and time simulatiously so I can push the pedal down for a noise freakout.

Thanks for the other side to this.

I might pick one up through MF or SW since they have pretty liberal return policies. I'd really want to get into this thing before I make up my mind and test it in a band practice at the least.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I didn't want to make you say absolutely no just because I hated the thing. Sorry if I bummed you out! Please try it out first though, or at least listen to every demo in existence. I used mine mostly through really good Denon headphones and a few times through speakers.

Have you guys tried the Seymour Duncan 805? I'm looking to use it as a boost and the EQ controls seems ideal for dialing in a good tight modern gain sound. The closest I've been to that perfect setup was the Maxon OD808 but I didn't like the buffer on it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Recently picked up a big muff from a buddy who is down on his luck.
I don't have enough 1/4in cables at the moment to chain it together with my other pedals (my old roommate walked off with all but 2 of them).
Anyways, where do you usually put your fuzz on the chain?
I was thinking about doing wah, boss BD-2, the big muff, and then my microkorg's delay for a 'funk' kind of sound.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

64bit_Dophins posted:

Recently picked up a big muff from a buddy who is down on his luck.
I don't have enough 1/4in cables at the moment to chain it together with my other pedals (my old roommate walked off with all but 2 of them).
Anyways, where do you usually put your fuzz on the chain?
I was thinking about doing wah, boss BD-2, the big muff, and then my microkorg's delay for a 'funk' kind of sound.

people tend to put higher gain after the lower gain pedals in the chain. Butttttt, all pedals act differently so just try it out and see what works best for you!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can any of you figure out if the DC-plug on this pedal is center-positive or center-negative? There's no sticker on the back and I'm not exactly an electronics-wiz.

It's a devi ever Soda Meiser if that helps.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

A current Dwarfcraft-made one? They're all 9V tip-negative (do not use 18V). No idea on the ones Devi actually made, but I'd expect the same.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So I just bought a Blue Box and apparently it runs on 9V AC. Any idea how I get it to play nice with my other power supplies?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Schpyder posted:

A current Dwarfcraft-made one? They're all 9V tip-negative (do not use 18V). No idea on the ones Devi actually made, but I'd expect the same.

I can't find a picture of the pedal that looks exactly like the one I have, so it's probably not part of a big production-run. Doesn't look like the one on the Dwarfcraft website either.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Pondex posted:

Can any of you figure out if the DC-plug on this pedal is center-positive or center-negative? There's no sticker on the back and I'm not exactly an electronics-wiz.

You could tweet the picture to @dwarfcraft. Aen's a helpful dude.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Turkey Farts posted:

You could tweet the picture to @dwarfcraft. Aen's a helpful dude.

That's not a bad idea, thanks.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

So I just bought a Blue Box and apparently it runs on 9V AC. Any idea how I get it to play nice with my other power supplies?

Are you sure? Mine uses the 1/8" connector instead of a normal Boss-style, but I've run it just fine off a 1-Spot or similar.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

All devi pedals have been boss style negative tip

Declan MacManus posted:

Bad news is nope. While you can to try and run DC through it and it may work your most likely going to gently caress it up. Most ac pedals have transformers first thing and putting DC current through it is going to kill either the supply or the transformer(which will kill the entire pedal). Just drop the twenty on a dedicated power supply (I think boss still sells one that works well) and keep it around even if you get rid of the pedal because you will probably run into another pedal where the designer thought that ac current is a good idea.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

But then again I have run a blue box off of a onespot :o:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I run an ElevenRack through my Jet City's effects return to utilize the tube power amp.

Unfortunately I'm running Ubuntu and need Windows7/8 to run the software to load patches. Even with my mild tweaking of stock patches, I've come across a few good useable sounds.

I've yet to have a band night to see how it really sounds. Running a V30 orange 1x12 and a WGS retro30 2x12 (Real V30 still cuts better btw).

I'm thinking about getting a Carvin TS100 power amp to rackmount with it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I didn't want to make you say absolutely no just because I hated the thing. Sorry if I bummed you out! Please try it out first though, or at least listen to every demo in existence. I used mine mostly through really good Denon headphones and a few times through speakers.

Yep, the mileage always varies.

I've heard some really cool things about being to run this with "4 cables." This would allow me (based on the patch) to either go through my JC's preamp (maybe for some modulation type effects.) or to bypass the JC Preamp completely if I want to try the amp modeling stuff.

Tone is really the only thing I am concerned with at this point. But I will probably pick one up to try and just return it if I don't dig it.

Might be a few checks from now but I'll be sure to come back with a review.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I picked up a DIgitech CM2 recently for about £50 and I think its one of the best overdrives I've ever used.

Its basically a bad monkey, only running at 18v internally and with less "blanket over the amp" than the BM can have. Its super versitile and can get pretty marshall-like in the custom mode.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Honestly I've really taken to my SUPER beat up vintage, japanese made Boss DS-1. I don't know if the older ones are really that much better than the new ones, but I manage to get some very marshally tones with a Maxon OD808->DS-1->Princeton Reverb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been thinking about getting a looper to mess around with and improve practice/make noisy messes. Am I right in my understanding that the Ditto X2 kind of the standard choice these days?