Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Nyaa posted:

We're off to see the lord, The Wonderful lord of tower,
We hear he is a bore of a lord, if ever a lord there was,
If ever, oh ever a lord there was, The lord of tower is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because,
Because of the wonderful things he does,
We're off to see the lord, The Wonderful lord of tower,
do do do do do do do do do do do~

SING A SONG TOGETHER! JOIN IN!
: 4

You're excellent

edit: Also, update coming today, just a lot of numbers to crunch/art to do. Hold fast!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

(We’re getting a lot of characters now, and in the interest of reducing confusion, I’ll clearly mark which Wave I’m focusing on from now on. Also, some of you (Wave 3 dudes) may have noticed some confusion with Tsyni’s action vs. what I wrote. I’m a dork and totally misread it! Tsyni graciously retconned his action to fit in, and I think we’re all good!)

-[Wave Four]-
“The Fourth Wave has ended the threat of the Goblin Shaman (seems much less dangerous now, doesn’t he?) in an admirably quick manner, and now spend some time scouring the floor for treasure. This many Waves into the game, however, they’re likely to find the completed floors rather bare - without the tower resetting itself, many of the items that would otherwise be found have simply already been taken. Nevertheless, there’s no harm in trying, and that’s just what they’re doing.”

“The Mimic Amo and his partner Xyz’ck Mark Two (or simply ‘Mark’, apparently) are taking a their own route and systematically scouring the area, lifting fallen pillars and peering underneath and sifting through mud. Unsuccesfully, I might add. Ah, Cookie is trying something a little subtler than the brute force method - our mancers confirm he’s trying some form of divination. Perhaps he’ll have more luck”

---
Cookie felt around the area with his astral form, finding it much larger than he had expected. He expected the wide field around them was mere illusion, but that seemed not to be the case - it felt as real as the city they had just left behind the gate. He pushed the matter from his mind to better focus. Sadly, no magical resonance made itself known to him in the locality, though something mighty unusual lay below them. Snapping back to his body, he pointed at the rotund dragon. “You there, Dig!”

---
“It looks like he found SOMETHING, because Longwei is digging furiously. Even Amo and Mark are turning towards the task. I don’t think anyone’s actually done this, so far. Most Seekers are concerned only with passing through the first floor, rather than performing archaeology… W-what in the world?”

“They’ve uncovered some sort of giant.. goblinoid skeleton. How peculiar! It seems well and truly dead, though. I was half expecting it to come to life and strike at them, haha. One of the many mysteries of the tower, I suppose!”

-[Wave Three]-
“It looks like two of our Seekers have decided to discontinue their adventure - no doubt afraid of Adam, who for all the world appears to be in this for himself. Dormund and Ron have yielded to the tower, taking nothing with them but their lives and their stories.” (Dropping some dead weight - that being said, feel free to make other characters if you wish!)

“To recap, Adam hypnotized Bud into jumping, Chauncey somehow teleported(?) ([/i]3 Rounds till Talent Recharges[/i]) Giovanni to the bottom, and Tikkiti tries to steal the button. Currently, Tikkiti is STILL trying to steal the button, this time exerting his Talent to do so… and failing miserably. ([/i]4 Rounds till Talent Recharges[/i]) Give up, my rodent friend!”

“Chauncey takes a glance down through the hole, locking his gaze on the stunned, falling figure of Bud, and tries to leap out heroically to save him. Ouch, that looks like it smarted - an awkward leap sees him strike his head on the wall and clatter to the floor. At least he's not falling! (Chauncey takes 2 damage and a -10 to rolls next turn due to smacking his head - he’s stunned) Bud doesn’t look like he’s doing much better - he’s trying to clear his head, but he still looks out of control!”

“By contrast, there’s Adam. Peering over the edge, he calmly unfolds his grisly parachute and begins devouring choice bits of it. (Adam heals 4 HP) Revolting, but pragmatic - if they wish to save their ally, Giovanni will need to activate the gate, drawing Adam through with it. Tikkiti looks a little nervous to be stuck here with the beast.”

“Giovanni, for his part, works his powerful topological magic to raise the gate from below the waters, linking it to the edge with a stone bridge. Well done, but there could be unforseen problems - the pool was small enough, now nearly a quarter of its area has been raised out of water, later Waves will have a much tougher time sticking the landing!”

-[Wave Two]-
“Wave Two continues their baffling trek through the Maze, marching lockstep in the hopes of all being ‘first’ at the same time. Koko still looks terrified, as though haunted by a vengeful ghost, but first Joe then the others join in with a nonsense song to calm her nerves. Once or twice, Roscoe whines and tries to redirect them, but is seemingly ignored. Apparently, ignoring him was the right choice - they’re through!”

---
Walking into an open stone amphitheatre open to a dark sky (with the tower looming over them ominously), they proceeded to the centre where a pure blue flame burned above the dais. Still walking lockstep, they all made sure to reach the centre at the same time. The voice spoke into/through them:

”YOU HAVE PASSED THE MAZE ADMIRABLY - ALL OF YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT ONCE, AND SO ALL SHALL RECEIVE MY BLESSING.”

All four fell to their knees as they felt power pour into them, uncaring of their mortal frames. The fire licked out at them, tracing along their bodies in crazed mazes of energy. (Teamwork! You win a priiiiize. The prize is you take 1 damage and you’re feeling sore and your nose is bleeding! Also there’s a better one - you ALL gain +1 to Accuracy, and crit on 19-20! Also whenever you use an Ability, mazes of blue fire flare along your limbs.)

There was a rumbling.

”...YOU HAVE ALSO ALL COME LAST. RETURN THEE TO DUST.”

The same energies that invigorated them a moment ago now redouble and score painfully into their bodies. Gazing down at themselves, deep maze-like scars cover their entire bodies. (Your health is cut by half. That value is now your maximum - you cannot exceed it.)

---
“The Lord of the Tower doesn’t mess around with technicalities, apparently!”

-[Wave One]-
“Having missed out on the Artifact, Miyagi shrugs, and with a casual wave to the Giantess strides through the Anvil Door.”

-~~~-
“How exciting - this is the first time anybody has reached this floor! We are beyond the veil, people! Those of you who purchased advanced tickets have preferential seating on the now-opened seventh-floor seating. Otherwise, you may go purchased them now. I suggest you go sooner rather than later - I have a good feeling about these Waves!”

“Anyhow, let’s see what we can determine. The Topseekers have found themselves in what appears to be a desert night, standing on a plane of sandstone. A shallow step pyramid stands before them, and on its peak is curled a curious creature.”

“As it sees them approach, it rumbles to its feet as though stiff. Wow, much larger than it appears - I’d wager it’s got a good two metres or so on Character. Still, it’s not attacking, just yet. It waits till they get closer before it begins to talk.”

---
Miyagi approached the Sphinx slowly, though it seemed to be in no particular mood. It sat on the steps as they neared it, swishing its tail back and forth gently. As with many creatures of such a type, it bore the body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the face of a beautiful woman. This one also happened to have the armour of a titan, but that was beside the point. He noticed, as she gazed at him, that she had she had beautiful liquid eyes - one ochre with the pupil of a snake, and one violet with the pupil of a goat.

Suddenly, she held out a great paw, and the group froze.

“I am the Sphinx,” she said, in a voice like a man and a woman speaking at once, “and as is my nature I have questions for thee. No mere riddles, from me - I assure you I will not ask about the being with a differing quantity of limbs through different periods of the day. No, my questions are subtler. Three you answer, and I will allow thee passage to the next floor.”

“I require a volunteer. One of you may speak. Speak - and name also another of your group in your speaking. This, I require before you pass me by.”

“Or,” she ventures, extending her claws, “we may do battle, and you can claim my treasure. Words or Blood, shall it be.”

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 25, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Roscoe
Health - 19/19 (38-1)/2
Armor - 12
Accuracy - +2
Crit on 19-20

Roscoe's fur is a bit of a mess now, with streaks of blue-gray running through where the tower's energies touched him. But hey, he's alive, and so is everyone else! Hooray for the pack! Hooray for friends!

Huzzah! Wave 2 is the best. Does my reduced HP round up or down?

Edit: Rounded up.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 20, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Health - 18.5???/18.5 (38-1)/2

Haha, round up!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

The dragon's discovery was curious indeed. If the interior of the tower was nothing more than a convincing illusion, as the wizard imagined it to be, then why did the enchanter bother to hide such an obscure thing in such an obscure place? It was a question he simply couldn't answer, so he moved on.

He had almost made his way to the portal when he was struck by a wave of creativity. While the skeleton could not reveal the tower's secrets, it could certainly aide in protecting him from its hidden dangers. A skeletal servant could help keep enemies at bay, allowing the wizard to blast his opponents with magic unpunished. A giant skeleton could even help him get to hard to reach places. The possibilities were endless, and appealing.

Cookie took a small red crayon from his pocket and drew his sigil on the giant's skull, then cast his spell to animate the strange remains. The wizard certainly wasn't an expert in the field of necromancy. Partly because the craft was the magical equivalent of a full-face tattoo, partly because he got kicked out of wizarding school for failing that class. He held his breath and crossed his fingers as magic surged through the giant's bones...

Health: 20 - Armor: 11 - Accuracy: +1
(Improvised necromancy, 1d20+3=16, http://orokos.com/roll/233375)

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Sevin Cazzuale : Health: 26 Armor: 12 Accuracy: +2 Crit. Range: 19-20
Inventory: Shaman Staff (3 charges), Green Shield (3 charges)

"I shall volunteer myself. The other person I name is Mr. Miyagi."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Name - Mr. Pat Miyagi
Health - 42
Armor - 16
Accuracy - +1
Skills - Stealth, Jump, Acrobatics

Miyagi is clearly disturbed at seeing such an odd beast, and was unsure how to react. Then another of his wave spoke first:

Obscil posted:

"Who? Ooh wait that's me. I'm fine with that, then."

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Longwei
Health: 18
Armor: 13
Accuracy: +1
Skills: Interior decorating, resisting poison, digging
Abilities: Nature's sting, breath of the Titan Arum, amorphous algae assault
Talent: Might of the morass.

The initial excitement Longwei felt upon feeling something new beneath his feet quickly gave way as he realized that it... was a large thing. A large, unpleasant looking, and most likely completely inedible thing. Staring at it, Longwei felt a sort of personal crisis bubble up from a deep, rarely used portion of his brain. Perhaps this thing was a more important part of life than just digging and eating. Perhaps, in order to scale to the top of this tower and prove his worth, Longwei would have to consider aspects of life outside of his rather limited perspective. Maybe he could grow, and change, and become a more proper draconic entity.

Longwei considered all of this as he waddled off a few feet, and idly began to dig a divot yet again. He hoped it would be comfortable!

(Digging: 19 + 5 + 3 = 27)

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Obscil posted:

"A brave one indeed, so anxious to joust with words. So be it. My first question is an easy one."

She covers both eyes.

"WHAT IS THE APPEARANCE OF MY LEFT EYE?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Giovanni
Race: Human
Class: Arcane Geometer
Health: 17
Armor: 14
Talent Recharge: 1

A hint of smugness crept onto Giovanni's face as his calculations proved flawless once more. Were the conditions different, he might have even stopped to admire his work for a minute. Regrettably, he had not a second to waste. Giovanni quickly sauntered over to the gate, but did not activate it. He still had some time before his companions were due to flatten themselves, and he intended to make use of that.

Giovanni's knowledge concerning the tower had increased substantially since he had arrived. However, he had only studied the individual floors themselves. This was the first time he was allowed a closer look at how they were actually knit together. Giovanni prepared his spells and instruments once more, and started to map the inner coordinates and reference points of the portal. This, he hoped, ought to prove illuminating.

Non-Euclidean evocation: 1d20+5+2: :siren:27:siren:

Giovanni's smile widened. The experiment showed great promise! He theorized that there might even be a way for him to directly affect the portal, if he just changed this parameter here...

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 20, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I really love how this game has expanded beyond its initial premise.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

dog kisser posted:

"A brave one indeed, so anxious to joust with words. So be it. My first question is an easy one."

She covers both eyes.

Wow. This is pretty bullshit. loving sphinxes. I guess Sevin gonna get a bullshit question then he'll respond by bullshitting.

"Your left eye has a haunting beauty to it and it glimmers like a tranquil pool in the sunlight."

Diplomacy roll : 11

Obscil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Name - Xyz'ck-MK.2 "Mark"
Health - 22
Armor - 14
Accuracy - +1

The unearthed corpse worried Mark, but not as much as the necromantic invocation being said right now. Internal sensors flared and panic hormones flooded Marks brain. Mark sprinted over halfway towards the shimmering gate and hunched down low. It watched the spell unfold ready I either spring back to help, or forward to touch the gate and escape.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 20, 2014

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Tikkiti. Health: 34. Armor: 14. Accuracy +1.
Inventory: Shaman Bow. Shaman Arrow (x2). Smoky Potion.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Stealing: 1d20+5+2 = 26
Rolled 19

dog kisser posted:

Tikkiti wastes no further time, jumping over the blanket, grabbing a fruit and eating it in mid air. Show off! (Bonus to Crit Range! Your next roll of 15+ becomes a critical.)

MineMineMineMineMineMineMineMine!! MINE!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Kyyp posted:

Tikkiti. Health: 34. Armor: 14. Accuracy +1.
Inventory: Shaman Bow. Shaman Arrow (x2). Smoky Potion.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Stealing: 1d20+5+2 = 26
Rolled 19

MineMineMineMineMineMineMineMine!! MINE!

goddamn you kyyp

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Name - Adam
Health - 17 Armor - 14 Accuracy - +1
Skills - Anatomy, Hypnosis, Athletics
Bonus Talent - Super Speed

Adam continues to stare at the frenetic little rat. Perhaps they are kindred spirits, after all, he has seen Tikkiti in the shadows, consuming flesh.

Adam pets the rat's fur thoughtfully as it continues to claw at the button.

First things first, to face the challenges ahead Adam must undo some of the damage the fruit wrought on his system. Fruit is an unnatural source of nourishment. The flesh is best.

Adam sits down to meditate.

rallies his internal healing processes to undo the damage done to him by the dark fruits(anatomy) 1d20+2+5 = 27 (natural 20)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Amo the Shy
Health- 19 Armor - 11Accuracy - +1
Skills -
Appraisal, Devour, Interpretive dance.
Abilities -
Allure, Chameleon, Adhesive Slime.
Talent - Just Rewards.

Jumbling around on the back of Mark as it withdraws to the halfway point, Amo splats down to the ground grumbling "No meat no shiny" He begins dejectedly walking towards the gate his arms dragging along the ground.

Boohoo nothing to eat and nothing fancy to adorn Amo with! He's outta here! Skelebones are booooring!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Bud K.:
Health
- 24 Armor - 13 Acurracy - 1 [+2]
Skills: Tactical Pants, Slice Dice and Sever, SICK POSE
Talent: Sharper Image [3 turns]
Inventory: Blue Strawberry (B5), Blue Burr Acorn (C6)

The ground was getting closer and closer. Bud smiled. "Home... going home!" A sudden look of panicked recognition crosses his face. "Wait, where's the Red Velvet Pancake Puppies®? I can't smell any Red Velvet Pancake Puppies®!"

"What happened to my home?"

Bud's mental defenses have fallen and all he has left is his love of hometown cooking. Is his Homesickness enough to break the spell? 1d20+2=21

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Jumbling around on the back of Mark as it withdraws to the halfway point, Amo splats down to the ground grumbling "No meat no shiny" He begins dejectedly walking towards the gate his arms dragging along the ground.

Boohoo nothing to eat and nothing fancy to adorn Amo with! He's outta here! Skelebones are booooring!

Mark pats Amo and hisses, "It okay. Nexsssst Floor." Mark tap Amo and quickly signs "I was going to grab a bone but the wizard was too quick and tried to raise a giant. We can return to the pit when he fails to take a prize

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

Mark pats Amo and hisses, "It okay. Nexsssst Floor." Mark tap Amo and quickly signs "I was going to grab a bone but the wizard was too quick and tried to raise a giant. We can return to the pit when he fails to take a prize

Amo rattles his lid sighing and drops face first into the mud raising his hand and signing Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine bubbles start to raise in the mud as Amo sighs, undigested chunks of meat and blood occasionally springing out as each bubble pops.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Koko
Health: 22/22
Armor: 11
Accuracy: +2

Koko finally lets go. Then she lies down for a while.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Name: Sharperer Joe
Health:10/10
Armor: 13
Accuracy: +3 (Crit at 19-20, blue flame)
Skills: Climbing, Escape Artist, Bending Body
Water Rapier: Can shoot a bolt of water

"Ooookay, so for future reference, the best way to do that floor is to have one stay behind and the rest walk in at the same time."

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music Theory posted:

Name - Chauncey
Race - Human
Class - Explorer
Health - 15 (-2)
Armor - 13
Accuracy - +1

Skills - Athletics, Brawling, Acrobatics

Abilities - Fisticuffs, Dodge, Identify (Determines properties of the target)

Talent - Rescue: Somehow moves something to or away from Chauncey. An example would be throwing a person to a distant platform, or magnetically attracting a rare artifact from a distant era.

Motto - "Look, a rare statuette from the Wyrm Rebellion Era!"

AI Action - First, get any artifacts. Failing that or if there are none, rescue someone dramatically, or even undramatically. If none of these apply, investigate the surrounding area or punch something.

Mystery - Dashing, Britannia, pith helmet, Cunningly, Archeologist

FLOOR: 3, THE FALLING ROOM

Inventory:
  • Spear
  • Climbing Claws (+2 to climbing, +1 to melee accuracy)

"Sorry, my queen! I have been gobsmacked by a lifting device and I need to sit down for a while..."

Chauncey says this to the wall on his left, then sits down against it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Music Theory posted:

"Sorry, my queen! I have been gobsmacked by a lifting device and I need to sit down for a while..."

Chauncey says this to the wall on his left, then sits down against it.

You do realize that you fell of the edge, right?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Theantero posted:

You do realize that you fell of the edge, right?

yeah about that - he talked to me on IRC about it and I said it was cool to change stuff. Basically I misread tsynis action which caused him to act differently which caused etc.

I would normally just ignore it and move on, but given the situation it's not a big deal to just tweak my post

Green Intern posted:

I really love how this game has expanded beyond its initial premise.

All due to you guys - I have the floors all laid out in writing already, but every time you guys do something unexpected (ie: every update) I need to expand on what I have already!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 21, 2014

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

dog kisser posted:

All due to you guys - I have the floors all laid out in writing already, but every time you guys do something unexpected (ie: every update) I need to expand on what I have already!

Please tell me the first tower had always been built on top of an old goblin graveyard, but really it's a prop placed by old man Towerlord to spook away topseekers from wrecking up his tower.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

Please tell me the first tower had always been built on top of an old goblin graveyard, but really it's a prop placed by old man Towerlord to spook away topseekers from wrecking up his tower.

W-what!? How did you guess!?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

This is gonna get real awkward when we get up to the Giantess with the skeleton of her creepy necromanced baby walking after us. :v:

Surprise! :stonklol:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

dog kisser posted:

W-what!? How did you guess!?

It was a clever scheme and you would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling adventurers and thier mimic too!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

dog kisser posted:

She covers both eyes.

"Hm. Your left or my left?"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"Hm. Your left or my left?"

A brief smile flickers across what you can see of her face behind her paws.

"My left. It was not meant to be a trick!"

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"In that case, your left eye, much like the right, is beautiful and must flow wonderfully behind cover."

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

-[Wave One]-
“The Sphinx has asked her question, and she awaits her answer. The Royal Lipreaders confirm that she asked what colour her eyes were. Seems like a simple question, but for the life of me I can’t remember, and with the variety of scrying fields I have set up here I can’t seem to get a good shot of them. Something sneaky happening up there for sure. Regardless, Sevin volunteered, and he gave his answer. Let’s see what she has to say!”

---
The Sphinx took her paws down from her face, revealing eyes of ochre and violet. She shook her had sadly. “Flattery will get you less than nowhere with me. All I ask is a simple question and I get not even an attempt at a true answer. Now see what you have made me do?”

With that she lay a paw flat on the sand beside her, then drew it up with a plucking motion, drawing forth a thin spire of glass. With a flick, she sent it flying like an arrow to pierce Miyagi through the thigh. (Miyagi takes 8+2 damage. -5 to movement related Skills until end of floor) “Don’t try to remove it. In my displeasure I would have it shatter, and you wouldn’t enjoy that. Now, I have another question. Miyagi, pierced by my spear, you may volunteer and choose another as collateral, or pass the choice to another.”

She stretched like an oversized cat, grinning too wide. “Or we may fight. These claws of mine haven’t tasted blood in an age or more.”

---
“Oh wow, that cat doesn’t mess around! Miyagi doesn’t seem to be bleeding out, but that glass spear seems to be all that’s preventing it. I can’t imagine the pain he must be in… but on with the show!”

-[Wave Three]-
“The Third Wave is another nailbiter! If Giovanni passes through the gate, everyone will make it through safely. If he dallies too much longer, Bud will almost certainly smash to paste on the rocks below! Speaking of the fellow, he seems to have shook himself out of his hypnosis, but what an unpleasant sight has greeted him upon waking! Good luck, Bud, you have only moments to save yourself! (Bud you woke up! You have one round to sort things out - or trust in Giovanni, though of course you don’t know that they’re trying to rescue you)

“Back in the Room (which has still not fallen, so it seems silly to call it the Falling Room!), Chauncey has laid himself against a wall, following his disastrous leap. May as well take the rest while you can, I suppose. (Two Rounds till Talent Recharges) Seeing his chance at respite, Adam takes the time to centre himself and call upon his prodigious control over his bodily functions for healing. (Adam heals 10 HP) And finally, with no one in any position to gainsay him, Tikkiti devotes his full attention to prying the button from the wall. Miraculously, he succeeds! He stiffens for a moment, waiting for the room to explode (or perhaps, implode?) but no such thing happens. He peers through the hole the removal of the button has created at the clouds beyond, then pockets the heavy metal disk.” (Congratulations! It’s a plain metal disk with an arrow on it you kleptomaniac. Also Three Rounds until Talent Recharges)

“Oh my, Giovanni is trying some sort of topomancy on the portal. I’m not so sure that’s a good ide-

---
Giovanni looked up at Bud falling to his death, quickly calculated terminal velocity vs. the apparent distance he still had to cover, and judged he had mere seconds to study the portal. Plenty of time, for what he was attempting. Going into a mathematical trance, he extended a probing grid of force into and around the portal, sensing the way the intersecting lines bent and shifted as the played on the surface of the gateway. Holding the positions of each point in his mind was an arduous task, but he had trained himself for this - calculations such as this were child’s play to a trained Geometer.

Finally, he determined several things.

First, this gateway was not translocatory, no mere path between two points. It bore similarities to the spell he used to break into the tower, but many magnitudes more complex. While its full fractal nature was beyond him as of yet, it was plain as day that it was transdimensional. Ergo, the portals between floors were not bringing them to different points on an alternate plane, but rather alternate planes altogether! The different floors were definitively each separate universes.

Combined with his research from earlier, he was building a more complete concept of the nature of the tower. He suspected strongly that the tower was a fixed point in space throughout multiple universes, with many entrances in many worlds but only one summit. That would certainly explain why there seemed to be more treasure coming out than Seekers could possibly be bringing in - it was coming from other Seekers in other worlds, trying and seeking and dying! He made a note of it with an underlined question mark.

Finally, in regards to the portal itself - he didn’t need to understand it completely to know that it could be manipulated. He conceived of it in his mind as a window frame that led to ‘outdoors’ no matter what angle he looked at it from. He didn’t know how to build one, but he could certainly… pick it up and move it. Make it bigger? He ached to do further tests, but this Bud situation was getting critical. Either he passed through (losing his chance to examine it further), he moved the portal aperture to Bud’s location (at least gaining SOME practical knowledge)... or he could drat the torpedoes, let Bud fall to his death and see what he could REALLY do with the portal. He could learn so much more.

Maybe he could even skip the next floor entirely...

---
“I never know what that guy’s doing, but one of our Staff Geometers just gasped and started bleeding from his nose before passing out, so it must be something exciting!”

-[Wave Two]-
“By comparison, Wave Two is fairly relaxed, insofar as that is possible for them. They all lived through the Maze, but at some cost - getting hit by both the Blessing AND the Curse is a new one, for sure! They all seem to be content to just relax for now, but they’d better get moving - I don’t know what will happen if they’re still in the Maze when the next Wave passes through, but I’m sure at this point they’re not too fond of experimenting! All they have to do is touch the fire and they're off to the Concept Forge..."

-[Wave Four]-
“Back with the Mudgoblins, Wave Four has just found a bizarrely giant goblin skeleton buried in the earth below the field. It’s not doing anything, but our mancers are all abuzz out here - something about how the stone pillars that were strewn about seemingly at random seem to in hindsight have been some sort of binding spell. Neat!”

“From our files, Cookie is more of a conjurer or evoker than a necromancer, but he’s trying his hand at it anyhow. I can’t blame him - the allure of a giant skeleton minion is pretty tempting! Er, in the tower I mean, not in day to day life. Though on the other ha- oh, beg pardon, something’s happening. Having drawn his sigil on the skeleton’s head with a Bloodwax pencil, he tried to bring it to it’s feet. It worked, sortof. The great beast snapped to attention, pushing two skeletal arms out of the loam to try to pull its torso out of its earthen prison - then gave up, after a few moments of trying. Flopping back to the earth, the sigil on its forehead blackens to ash and blows away. Oh well! Amo and Mark look disappointed (er, I think they do?) but begin stalking back towards the hole - perhaps they’ve got a better idea?”

“Longwei, for his part, has no interest. He simply digs another hole, slathers smashed up goblin on his hide, and settles in for a nice rest. (Longwei heals 4 HP and is cute!)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Bud K.:
Health
- 24 Armor - 13 Acurracy - 1 [+2]
Skills: Tactical Pants, Slice Dice and Sever, SICK POSE
Talent: Sharper Image [2 turns]
Inventory: Blue Strawberry (B5), Blue Burr Acorn (C6)

"Bazinga!" No time think, no time to search for a more appropriate catchphrase, only time for Tactics. Bud unzips his pants and pulls them off as quickly as he can. He'd practiced for this moment. He knew the drill. In only a few seconds he's holding his pants above his head, catching the wind and both slowing and directing his fall.

Tactical Pants maneuver: parachute! 1d20+5+2=16

He's wearing tighty-whities in case you're wondering.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So I think your "Well" is actually a prison cell for a giant! The pillars kept him in place while the dirt and water used to keep anyone from freeing it. Good luck!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I had sort of assumed that wave 2 would be proceeding to the next floor automatically. Isn't that what happened with wave 1?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Name: Giovanni
Race: Human
Class: Arcane Geometer
Health: 17
Armor: 14
Talent Recharge: 0

Giovanni briefly cursed his selection of fellow topseekers. Twice before they had cut his research short with their incessant fumbling. However, two of them were gone already, and he didn't really fancy the idea of losing yet one more wall of meat between himself and his more... troublesome companions. But he was not willing to lose access to his newfound wellspring of knowledge either. No, not just yet. Giovanni narrowed his eyes. There might still be a way for him to turn this into a victory. He would make an attempt to save the lardball's life, but he would have to be his guinea pig in exchange for the favor.

Giovanni visualized the dimensions around him, both the nominal space he found himself in presently, and the interplanar surfaces leading to the other floors. First he would take the space Bud was in, and twist it upon itself to form a closed loop so that he might keep falling as long as he liked.

Then came the actually hard part. Giovanni would have to laterally shift this newly created space outside the dimensions of the floor, and between the planar transfer vectors just beyond the portal without going through the actual portal itself. This should allow for the disruption of the space once the portal was actually used, so that Bud might be safely pulled in with them once they were ready to move. At least theoretically.

And more interestingly, this would allow Bud a unique vantage point. If, as Giovanni theorized, the planar transfer vectors were shared across all universes, then Bud might get a glimpse of the otherworlders on the floor if they actually exist. And of course, who was to say what he might find in the interplanar space itself.

Or this was his plan anyway.

Tesseract cage: 1d4: 1 All this writeup for nothing :negative:

This spell was complicated, and would require his fullest attention. Giovanni swept away a bead of sweat from his brow. Regrettably, he was too busy with calculations to pay attention to the hand he used, which briefly entered the portal.

And then they were gone.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 26, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Name - Mr. Pat Miyagi
Health - 32
Armor - 16
Accuracy - +1
Skills - Stealth, Jump, Acrobatics
-5 to movement related Skills until end of floor

dog kisser posted:

With that she lay a paw flat on the sand beside her, then drew it up with a plucking motion, drawing forth a thin spire of glass. With a flick, she sent it flying like an arrow to pierce Miyagi through the thigh.

Miyagi screams in pain as the spear lodges into his thigh. So that's how it goes - fail the question and someone takes the brunt of the failure to answer. Miyagi has to decide what to do next. He certainly is in no form to fight, and the blasted spear hurt. Whoever he chooses must be able to bear the brunt should he fail to answer the question...

"For the next question
I assign one that heals fast
Thus I choose the pie."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sharpener Joe
Joe tries to talk to the god voice thing that gave us power. "Umm, hello there? Do you know the exit to this... Transitional dimensional gap space thing? I was expecting you to send us to the next floor after we passed through the exit on the previous floor... Or is this a new floor?"

Green Intern posted:

I had sort of assumed that wave 2 would be proceeding to the next floor automatically. Isn't that what happened with wave 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Tikkiti. Health: 43. Armor: 14. Accuracy +1.
Inventory: Shaman Bow. Shaman Arrow (x2).

Tikkiti is best! Best at best! Hm.. Maybe broken room for next wave. Not Tikkiti's problem! Their problem. Haha! This was good. Tikkiti deserves a medal! A medal for being the best! One shiny silver medal, with an arrow on it! And celebration drink!

Tikkiti uses junk from his lootbag to fashion the button into a pin, which he pins to the bag. He then chugs the Smoky Potion.
Smoky Potion: 2d6 = 9
Smoky Potion: +2 to next roll
Inventory: -1 Smoky Potion
Health = 34 + 9 = 43

• Locked thread