Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol they're doing the crypto without aes acceleration aren't they

of course they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Android still seems to be horrible trash. lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

butt dickus posted:

looks like wobbly windows made it to android

This makes me literally nauseous.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

even in software on an arm chip aes256 consumes something like 25k cpu cycles per MB of data so even then you're talking a couple mhz out of a multi-ghz, multi-core processor so its still staggering that the managed to gently caress it up so badly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

how's the encryption on a 4 year old iphone?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

PleasingFungus posted:

the website or the scrolling

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thanks Ants posted:

how's the encryption on a 4 year old iphone?

been doing hardware aes since the 3gs and transparent

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2011/05/24/elcomsoft-breaks-iphone-ios4-encryption/

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

do you have to take a breather after every time you use imessage?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

I do, but because I spurt

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google and Rockstar wind down their year-long patent war
Microsoft, Apple, and others created "Rockstar" to spend $4.5B on Nortel patents.

The high-profile patent lawsuit between Google and the "Rockstar Consortium" is drawing to a close. Google has signed a "term sheet" with Rockstar which will be finalized as a settlement in the coming weeks.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/google-and-rockstar-settle-patent-dispute/

owned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey cremnob didn't google promise there wouldn't be a gap between goog and googl? right now googl is $9 higher

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i dont know that whole thing was shady as heck from a corporate governance point of view. i can rant about that and how it relates to why google is hosed at some point but im lazy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've actually made a decent amount off my goog/googl but it's going to be the first thing I dump if the market starts trending down

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cremnob posted:

i dont know that whole thing was shady as heck from a corporate governance point of view. i can rant about that and how it relates to why google is hosed at some point but im lazy

do ittt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao the nexus 6 has the hardware crypto modules, they just didn't include the drivers because they're proprietary from qualcomm. but open sores is the best am i right?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Endless Mike posted:

lmao the nexus 6 has the hardware crypto modules, they just didn't include the drivers because they're proprietary from qualcomm. but open sores is the best am i right?

so are the rest of the drivers so i don't know what the gently caress is different about the hardware crypto

[edit] hell they even list crypto in the driver lists for some of the other phones (like the nexus 4) so gently caress if i know

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
also i went ahead and nuked my n4 to get rid of the encryption and it's noticeably more responsive, but the benchmark tool i was using wasn't giving anything near consistent results so here's a random set

encrypted:

sequential read: 33.75 MB/sec
sequential write: 23.22 MB/sec
random read: 14.22 MB/sec
random write: 9.21 MB/sec

decrypted:

sequential read: 92.0 MB/sec
sequential write: 28.9 MB/sec
random read: 20.0 MB/sec
random write: 8.72 MB/sec

why are random writes faster when encrypted? why are there cryptography drivers listed on the android binaries page for the nexus 4 (and only the nexus 4) but they don't appear to be being used? who knows

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

iMessage doesn't lurch.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

also i went ahead and nuked my n4 to get rid of the encryption and it's noticeably more responsive, but the benchmark tool i was using wasn't giving anything near consistent results so here's a random set

encrypted:

sequential read: 33.75 MB/sec
sequential write: 23.22 MB/sec
random read: 14.22 MB/sec
random write: 9.21 MB/sec

decrypted:

sequential read: 92.0 MB/sec
sequential write: 28.9 MB/sec
random read: 20.0 MB/sec
random write: 8.72 MB/sec

why are random writes faster when encrypted? why are there cryptography drivers listed on the android binaries page for the nexus 4 (and only the nexus 4) but they don't appear to be being used? who knows

why do u buy this crap

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hmm, appears the YOSPOS fail brigade has forgotten their place and returned to my lair. Just a quick reminder that Android is the best mobile OS. Thanks and have a swell day!!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe posted:

the YOSPOS fail brigade

red six standing by

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

theadder posted:

why do u buy this crap

being legally disabled i am both poor and have a lot of free time

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

hmm, appears the YOSPOS fail brigade has forgotten their place and returned to my lair. Just a quick reminder that Android is the best mobile OS. Thanks and have a swell day!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
postigj grom my original moto x suiys my need but where the gently caress is my android update?????

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I've had encraption on my nexus 4 for a while and didn't notice a performance hit at all tbh

those numbers would indicate a definite performance decrease but idunno if disk read/write is a actually a bottleneck

i was app testing at work and frame rate and refresh rate are both increased from 4.4 to 5, even with encryption.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i was app testing at work and frame rate and refresh rate are both increased from 4.4 to 5, even with encryption.

4.5 to 5... fps?

wtf?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

4.5 to 5... fps?

wtf?

rps (roms per second)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

days per phone

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

I've had encraption on my nexus 4 for a while and didn't notice a performance hit at all tbh

those numbers would indicate a definite performance decrease but idunno if disk read/write is a actually a bottleneck

your phone will never be a top torrent seeder now

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

infernal machines posted:

4.5 to 5... fps?

wtf?

he means from kitkat to lollipop obv

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Forums Terrorist posted:

he means from kitkat to lollipop obv

nothing gets past this guy

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

:(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
does ne1 have an android phone and also an ipad? I want a tablet, but there r no good android tablets. Problem is I've fully swallowed googles cock on services, and I'm worried that apl will make it hard for me to use all the stuff I"m used too. Can anyone c/d that I'm just being an idiot bitch and I should buy the only good tablet out there?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Low-Pass Filter posted:

does ne1 have an android phone and also an ipad? I want a tablet, but there r no good android tablets. Problem is I've fully swallowed googles cock on services, and I'm worried that apl will make it hard for me to use all the stuff I"m used too. Can anyone c/d that I'm just being an idiot bitch and I should buy the only good tablet out there?

you are an idiot bitch, but that's the only thing i can help you figure out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

google services work fine on ios hth

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Low-Pass Filter posted:

you should purchase an iPhone and an iPad. throw that android junk in the garbage where it belongs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

THC posted:

you should purchase an iPhone and an iPad. throw that android junk in the garbage where it belongs.

and that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Low-Pass Filter posted:

yes but i literally don't use any of google's stuff outside of gmail so it's more just me waiting for this phone to die and then i'll buy an iPhone

• Locked thread