Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

evilskillit posted:

Yeah, you'll find that I'm in the minority on FF7 dislike. Maybe the game could just never live up to the hype. I looked forward to FF7 so hard. I was going to get my nutrients from FF7 when it came out, I wouldn't need food anymore. Whatever followed 2 and 3 had to be the best thing ever.

I didn't care for the early 3d graphics but I enjoyed the game at first. Disc 1 was interesting but things started feeling kind of weak half way through the second disk. I suspect they planned for more but ran over time and budget. The 3rd disk hardly had any actual content, just free roaming the world and mopping up the crazy rear end story that ended up not really being all that interesting. Then the end, the end was such a total non-event. By the time I finished it I was pretty unhappy. I went back and played a bit more and tried to like it. I probably played 80+ hours so I definitely got my $50 worth, but it was the beginning of the end of Square for me. But I probably also have brain damage because you won't find nearly as many people who agree with me on this as disagree.

FF7 onward sucked, can we move on? "..." is not characterization, it's bullshit I'm mashing the button to move past. Nevermind he's a supersoldier or dead or some other bullshit nobody cares about. FF's went completely off the rails post-6 and have never considered coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chairface posted:

FF7 onward sucked, can we move on? "..." is not characterization, it's bullshit I'm mashing the button to move past.
Cloud's characterization isn't '...' and if you think it is you're an idiot.

Squall's the only protagonist to fit into that category, anyway, and even then only loosely. He's more of a standoffish rear end in a top hat than he is actually quiet. Zidane, Tidus, and Vaan are all the most upbeat, talkative characters in their games, barring maybe Rikku for Tidus, and Lightning is more angry than anything. The 'all FF protagonists spew '...'s everywhere' thing exists only in your hosed up mind.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 21, 2014

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

chairface posted:

FF7 onward sucked, can we move on? "..." is not characterization, it's bullshit I'm mashing the button to move past. Nevermind he's a supersoldier or dead or some other bullshit nobody cares about. FF's went completely off the rails post-6 and have never considered coming back.

If you never tried 12 it's decent and cathartic. Yes the protagonists are a teenage boy and girl but after the first few ten minutes of gameplay you can move them out of the active party and pretend they don't exist. I liked to think that Balthier and Fran are the protagonists, flying around the world on their air-ship and being generally awesome and that the two kids are just tag alongs and that they're told to shut up and get back in the cargo hold whenever possible. Not having transition screens between the fights and the streamlined combat went a long way towards making it easier to consume. I never finished it. I did that dumb thing where I got close to the end, then decided to go completionist on it, then got bored and quit before finishing it. But I enjoyed most of it and recommend it as a point of reference that Square could stop being poo poo if they just tried, or got lucky again, whatever happened.

Endorph posted:

Cloud's characterization isn't '...' and if you think it is you're an idiot.

My mind is pretty rusty too, I do remember there being a story and they somehow developed Cloud, but I don't think he actually has any dialogue does he? *googles*
According to the script I found he says stuff. I guess I just forgot or don't care.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 21, 2014

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Technically, Basch and Ashe are the main characters. They literally shoehorned Vaan and Penelo into the game because they would make more people buy the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

evilskillit posted:

My mind is pretty rusty too, I do remember there being a story and they somehow developed Cloud, but I don't think he actually has any dialogue does he? *googles*
According to the script I found he says stuff. I guess I just forgot or don't care.
You're literally retarded.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

evilskillit posted:

"Don't care" is pretty much my response to Squeenix's output post FF6.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Technically, Basch and Ashe are the main characters. They literally shoehorned Vaan and Penelo into the game because they would make more people buy the game.

Honestly, based on just FFXII as we got it, Ashe is easily the main character by virue of being the only one who is consistenty important and the fate of the world revolving around her character development and decision.

After her I'd say Balthier is the most significant character.

I liked Basch since I think Gabranth is the best character in the game but he really was kinda pointless a majority of the time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, based on just FFXII as we got it, Ashe is easily the main character by virue of being the only one who is consistenty important and the fate of the world revolving around her character development and decision.

After her I'd say Balthier is the most significant character.

I liked Basch since I think Gabranth is the best character in the game but he really was kinda pointless a majority of the time.

Basch was a lot at stake as well. After all, Gabranth took advantage of their similar appearance to frame him in the assassination of the Dalmascan king Raminas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chairface posted:

"Don't care" is pretty much my response to Squeenix's output post FF6.

TWEWY is better than every FF

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cake Attack posted:

Sleeping Dogs is better than every FF

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that is not what i said, and it is not something i want to say

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I liked FF7 as a 15 year old. There's no way any future iteration version of me would have liked that game though. I'm glad I played it when I did.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xenogears is better than any FF.

....what?

Mill Village posted:

Basch was a lot at stake as well. After all, Gabranth took advantage of their similar appearance to frame him in the assassination of the Dalmascan king Raminas.

That's true. I like Basch and that's why I wish he got more focus.

Honestly, FFXII felt like a game more about the antagonists than the protagonists a lot of the time.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

evilskillit posted:

If you never tried 12 it's decent and cathartic. Yes the protagonists are a teenage boy and girl but after the first few ten minutes of gameplay you can move them out of the active party and pretend they don't exist. I liked to think that Balthier and Fran are the protagonists, flying around the world on their air-ship and being generally awesome and that the two kids are just tag alongs and that they're told to shut up and get back in the cargo hold whenever possible. Not having transition screens between the fights and the streamlined combat went a long way towards making it easier to consume. I never finished it. I did that dumb thing where I got close to the end, then decided to go completionist on it, then got bored and quit before finishing it. But I enjoyed most of it and recommend it as a point of reference that Square could stop being poo poo if they just tried, or got lucky again, whatever happened.

FF12 is great if you don't play it for 100% completion. That poo poo will sap anyone's will to live.

I do like the fact that the script takes so many digs at Vaan for being useless and immature, but he actually gets a good deal of development in a few scenes like the Jahara nighttime scene that make him a lot less grating. In fact, I'd say FF12's plot and script are pretty drat good as a whole, both the earlier more FFT-ish political intrigue and the later stuff about the Space Ghost Illuminati and magical nukes. No idea why the game's plot is regarded as dull.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

FF7 is a mechanically excellent RPG with a solid enough story that at the time was a technical marvel, especially coming off what constituted "good graphics" in the 16-bit era. Unfortunately it suffers today from being technically dated and from being unfairly associated with both the later questionable Final Fantasy games and its own toxic fanbase. Not to mention all the side games/movies/materials taking place in the FF7 universe that range from boringly forgettable to outright embarrassing.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

TWEWY is better than every FF

Love TWEWY, it's a great game and an excellent RPG. It probably is better then most FF games or pretty much anything else. So is Chrono Trigger. That said, VII to me was best FF for some reason. Yes, I loved VI and FFI when I played it on NES was exceptional at the time, but VII struck that right chord for some reason.

Super Jay Mann posted:

FF7 is a mechanically excellent RPG with a solid enough story that at the time was a technical marvel, especially coming off what constituted "good graphics" in the 16-bit era. Unfortunately it suffers today from being technically dated and from being unfairly associated with both the later questionable Final Fantasy games and its own toxic fanbase. Not to mention all the side games/movies/materials taking place in the FF7 universe that range from boringly forgettable to outright embarrassing.

Well, yes, FFVII the game was great, everything else around it pretty much was terrible. Not sure what the hell happened there. Some of the mods that are floating around can help with graphics but it's still an issue.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears is better than any FF.

No, no it's not. It might have been if 1/2 the budget didn't get cut.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenoblade is better than any FF.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Stop shitposting everyone, you all know that Nannyquest is objectively the best rpg.

Anyways someone suggested I play Infinite Undiscovery and it looks neat. Anyone have an opinion on the game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Stop shitposting everyone, you all know that Nannyquest is objectively the best rpg.

Anyways someone suggested I play Infinite Undiscovery and it looks neat. Anyone have an opinion on the game?

dinner, dinner, dinner

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Surely, there is a better game on a number of systems that you can get your hands on or emulate that you could play than that. It's terrible. It's not SO4 terrible but still a bad game. Even Blue Dragon is better.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Gameplay is pretty solid, but some of the cutscenes are cringeworthy. Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY&t=117s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'infinite undiscovery' is a pretty accurate name for the game

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The gently caress am I watching here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

because there's nothing new in it

so it's undiscovery and it's infinite

anyone?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

because there's nothing new in it

so it's undiscovery and it's infinite

anyone?

4/10

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I like shadow heart does anyone else like lost odyssey?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Gameplay is pretty solid, but some of the cutscenes are cringeworthy. Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY&t=117s

at least he's not tucking in a child on a space ship

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Super Jay Mann posted:

Ummm Crisis Core owns actually, soz

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Valkyria Chronicles just got a patch, which is nice:

SEGA posted:

Patch Update 21/11/2014
• Fixed issues with tank movement at high frame rates.
• Increased mouse sensitivity.
• Fixed issues with audio balance in stereo/5.1.
• Fixed rare crashes relating to memory allocation (e.g. when viewing unit stats in battle and exiting the HQ in book mode).

Looks like pretty much everything people were having problems with, so that's pretty cool.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I never played the game, but I crack up whenever I see the main character just starting to dance with the twins for no real reason. Is he like this the rest of the game?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yes, basically. He's described as an awkward idiot pretty much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember when Microsoft consoles got exclusive JRPG's? Crazy times.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The gameplay gets stale, but I'd say it's worth picking up for the bizarre humor and huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your guns. Scope stacking for everyone, always.
I fixed this for you. You're welcome!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Aside from the name meaning almost literally nothing, the combat is pretty good. Other than that, typical anime plot. As I said a few pages back, stupid token 10 year old party members are the worst part of the game. One of the brats can talk to animals which can be useful in a lot of points in the game, but ultimately they can be ignored the entire game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

You will see every plot twist from a mile away. Decent fighting. Lip synch is distractingly terrible. You can have a bear in your party.

That's about all I remember from playing the game.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember when Microsoft consoles got exclusive JRPG's? Crazy times.

Yeah. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia. They gave a good effort for about 2 years then just stopped. That was unfortunate.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

oblomov posted:

Yeah. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia. They gave a good effort for about 2 years then just stopped. That was unfortunate.

Man I loved Lost Odyssey too :(

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't remember a single thing about Infinite Undiscovery except that I liked it. It's not a memorable game at all but it's enjoyable if you just want to play a mediocre JRPG over the week-end (it's pretty short).

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I remember the moon being chained down for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember it having a bunch of missable cheevos that nudged my OCD in unpleasant ways but literally nothing else.