Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Buffy/Giles reunion was a loving tearjerker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

...but when Giles was a teenager he was NOT gentlemanly at all, he was Ripper. He'd probably even get a kick out of senseless videogame violence. Hell, even as a "gentleman" he's mischevious and drat brutal. Is that a misprint where they meant to write "westley"?

I don't think he was Ripper when he was tweleve.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potooweet posted:

I don't think he was Ripper when he was tweleve.

He was "Lil Rippa" back then.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah it's not as if he lost all his memories and it's not, y'know, Band Candy or something. It's still the Giles that has gone through all the experiences of growing up and becoming the man that mentored Buffy, it's just that now he gets...y'know. Inappropriate boners.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Buffy noob question: what is the name of the recurring musical bit consisting of a three tone low brass buildup followed by a Psycho-esque string flourish? I've heard it in other media, and it came up most recently in my binge in 6.06 when Dawn is going to some old man's house on a dare.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just got through Firefly for the first time (not watched Serenity yet). Was Googling some of the case and remembered seeing Adam Baldwin's name in the news a bit lately.

Adam Baldwin's a oval office in real life as well as on TV then, huh? :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's hard to believe, but Adam Baldwin's nutty Republican character on Chuck isn't a caricature, but actually a TONED DOWN version of his nutty Republican character in real life. I seem to recall reading, I think it might have been Nathan Fillion, who said in some interview that watching Joss and Adam argue on set was always a highlight of filming.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He's a lot like Jayne in real life. He's not the brightest man, as indicated by his politics. He thought that, in Serenity, he should be the one who had a secret flame for Inara, not exactly remembering how that wasn't something ever on the show or would make sense. :doh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So he wanted to bang Morena Baccarin, couldn't parse it, and decided to promote it in the manner of an awkward 9th grader with a crush.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apoplexy posted:

He's a lot like Jayne in real life. He's not the brightest man, as indicated by his politics. He thought that, in Serenity, he should be the one who had a secret flame for Inara, not exactly remembering how that wasn't something ever on the show or would make sense. :doh:

There's something both adorable and horrific about that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

mind the walrus posted:

So he wanted to bang Morena Baccarin, couldn't parse it, and decided to promote it in the manner of an awkward 9th grader with a crush.

I'll be in my bunk.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

poor xander arrested again. wanna guess for what?

hint: look at his eyes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zVxTeflon posted:

Crying over how his career went nowhere?

Just kidding! Booze again!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

zVxTeflon posted:

I could isolate several areas of that picture and come up with a different guess.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Beating up his hair stylist before she could finish the other half of his head?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Looks like he's auditioning for Dr. Strange

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, so Buffy is actually very good. After suffering through season 1 and 2 I've really gotten into it. Seasons 5 and 6 were my favorites so far, and I'm 6 episodes into season 7.

I skipped following along with Angel because god I hate Cordelia but I might pick it up for it's last season after Buffy is over because I hear she wasn't there for the last season.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nitrousoxide posted:

god I hate Cordelia
Explain yourself!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh man, just to reassure you, the fact that Cordelia changes a lot into a totally different character when she's on Angel is what makes so people like her so much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

Explain yourself!

She's like Dawn is when she has her tantrums, except every line is like that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
It had the opposite effect. Super hot rich bitch high school girl was a great gimmick. Stuck up wanna be actress trying to monetize Angel- never could get through that. Had to skip to Season 4 of Angel.

Giles' return in Season 6 was one of my favorite cliffhangers in television.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
When is Joss going to stop doing all this stupid comic book crap?

Seriously no offense to anyone here but I can't believe the guy is wasting his talents on the super friends or whatever the hell it is.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

TheBigBad posted:

I always felt like at the Dark Willow Arc somebody kicked the door to the writers room open, saw what was happening during season six and went "nope gently caress this we're doing evil Willow instead."

That and the musical are the only parts of season six I actually like. I honestly wish the musical was in any other season because every time I watch it I also get a face full of that season's stupid as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheBigBad posted:

"I'd like to test that theory."

If you haven't been keeping up on the Buffy comics, there is a scene very early on in the current season where Buffy and Giles reunite after a full year of Giles being dead. Angel killed him and then spent a year gathering the pieces of his soul to bring him back. He succeeds but Giles is reborn as young boy. When he and Buffy meet again the scene is so drat touching and it perfectly evokes the tone of the tv show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nika posted:

When is Joss going to stop doing all this stupid comic book crap?

Seriously no offense to anyone here but I can't believe the guy is wasting his talents on the super friends or whatever the hell it is.

Yep he should stop doing movies that make a poo poo load of money and instead focus on tv shows that get cancelled.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Also doesn't Fran Rebel Kuzi and the other Kuzi own the film & televised incarnation of everything?

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's like Dawn is when she has her tantrums, except every line is like that.
Fair enough. You might still like Angel's season 5. It is the show at its best, but some of that would be only appreciable having seen them journey through the prior seasons. Lots of the great bits will be entirely lost on you.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Angel S5 is generally agreed to be the best in spite of Cordelia's absence so if you don't even like her you should give it (and maybe S4) a go.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

It had the opposite effect. Super hot rich bitch high school girl was a great gimmick. Stuck up wanna be actress trying to monetize Angel- never could get through that. Had to skip to Season 4 of Angel.

Not actually a cliffhanger! Two To Go/Grave were aired in a single two-hour block, so "I'd like to test that theory" was simply the world's most badass act break.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

TheBigBad posted:

The trying to monetize Angel bit stops some time in late Season 1-early Season 2.

That being said, it is pretty thick in Season 1, so..yeah, I get that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
cordelia's cutesy naivette kind of runs counter to the atmosphere they were trying to have in Angel. There's a lot more reasons why the attempts at darkness and maturity fall flat, however.

I still like season 1 and 2 (season 4 is an abomination imo, and all the reasons it sucks start showing in season 3), but Buffy is the better series in every way.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Acne Rain posted:

cordelia's cutesy naivette kind of runs counter to the atmosphere they were trying to have in Angel. There's a lot more reasons why the attempts at darkness and maturity fall flat, however.

I still like season 1 and 2 (season 4 is an abomination imo, and all the reasons it sucks start showing in season 3), but Buffy is the better series in every way.

I'd let you say this without comment with this except- the puppet episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think I spoke too soon. Season 7 of Buffy is really being a drag. It's back to the monster of the week bullshit again with no clear big bad. Also Spike can't even carry the show this season because he's insane.

Haven't felt compelled to watch an episode in nearly a week.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 21, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think I spoke too soon. Season 7 of Buffy is really being a drag. It's back to the monster of the week bullshit again with no clear big bad. Also Spike can't even carry the show this season because he's insane.

It should get better pretty soon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Keep with it. It gets better. It doesn't get back to the heights of Season 2-5 or the ballsy dressing down of the show in Season 6, but is worth sticking it out for the final stretch.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its also the reason why you should have been alternating between Buffy and Angel episodes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its also the reason why you should have been alternating between Buffy and Angel episodes.

I want a Blu-ray set that does this automatically.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I hated the seventh season of Buffy. She was preachy and sanctimonious, Spike was not interesting as a crazy, and what they did to Xander's already flimsy character was borderline criminal.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Andrew & Clem are the only good things about that season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Andrew loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rhyno posted:

Andrew loving sucks.
I'll give you that on would-be rapist evil Andrew, but reformed Andrew was the only character that kept the tone of season 1-6 alive in season 7. Without him you have a maudlin sci-fi-antasy-soap with no lighting budget.

• Locked thread