Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

BigFactory posted:

CD is clearly the technically superior format, and "sounding better" is a really subjective qualification.

Yes, that's why I said that even though a CD is technically superior, it can still suffer from lovely mastering. And occasionally, the vinyl sounds better. And yes, of course that's subjective, pretty much everything that influences my purchase of a record is subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cebrail posted:

Yes, that's why I said that even though a CD is technically superior, it can still suffer from lovely mastering. And occasionally, the vinyl sounds better. And yes, of course that's subjective, pretty much everything that influences my purchase of a record is subjective.

Most CDs tend to be mastered too loud which can destroy the nuances of a the recording. A lot of people don't identify this as one of the reasons, but this is a thing that makes people say vinyl records sound better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Most CDs tend to be mastered too loud which can destroy the nuances of a the recording. A lot of people don't identify this as one of the reasons, but this is a thing that makes people say vinyl records sound better.

Many people do not listen to commercial hard rock or pop, so this phenomenon is much less pronounced. But it's funny that someone might spend $30 on a foo fighters or red hot chili peppers lp so they can appreciate the killer dynamics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Many people do not listen to commercial hard rock or pop, so this phenomenon is much less pronounced. But it's funny that someone might spend $30 on a foo fighters or red hot chili peppers lp so they can appreciate the killer dynamics.

It's funny that people would buy their albums at all.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The whole "loudness war" thing has gotten pretty out of hand over the last 10-15 years, particularly on CD (although I've seen some vinyl suffer similar issues). Comparing audio levels between CD and vinyl is always fun with the White Stripes in particular.

Icky Thump CD:

Icky Thump vinyl:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Boinks posted:

Did anyone else get anything good from Half Price Books 50% off coupon on Saturday? Here's what I picked up for $3.50:

I bought some of the more expensive Omar Rodriguez records I've been wanting, so that was nice. 50% off is baller as hell and it took a lot of effort not to hit up the 6 or 7 that are within reasonable driving distance of me.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Came in the mail today.

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 20, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

cool giant image of wrapping paper.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

CPL593H posted:

Aren't the vinyls using the same master most the time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Aren't the vinyls using the same master most the time?

Not the good ones. If you're looking to avoid that kind of thing it's a matter of knowing what you're buying. Also if you're buying old pressings of things then you know it's not going to be from a CD master.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Not the good ones. If you're looking to avoid that kind of thing it's a matter of knowing what you're buying. Also if you're buying old pressings of things then you know it's not going to be from a CD master.

How would I know if an album made today is going to be using a separate master? Is there a website or something to look for on the package? I know MoFi takes care of doing specific things for vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

How would I know if an album made today is going to be using a separate master? Is there a website or something to look for on the package? I know MoFi takes care of doing specific things for vinyl.

There's really no one way to find this out. Basically google, the labeling on the package, the reputation of the record label. poo poo like that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Duckula posted:

So this just landed on my doorstep today.

The entire Mega Man 2 soundtrack on vinyl.

The best part? There's a bonus track. Ducktales - The Moon.

I'm not much for video game music as a thing, got burnt out by encountering too many nerds who only listened to video game soundtracks and got really angry if anyone called them on not knowing things like "Pink Floyd is a band."

However, that play on "Heroes" is loving amazing.

alg posted:

cool giant image of wrapping paper.

I think it's a Lemon Jelly album? I'm not 100% sure.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Allen Wren posted:

"Pink Floyd is a band."
to be fair, this is a thing for alot of people

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

I'm not much for video game music as a thing, got burnt out by encountering too many nerds who only listened to video game soundtracks and got really angry if anyone called them on not knowing things like "Pink Floyd is a band."

However, that play on "Heroes" is loving amazing.

I think it's a Lemon Jelly album? I'm not 100% sure.

Lemonjelly k.y. and Lost Horizons.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

keyboard vomit posted:

Lemonjelly k.y. and Lost Horizons.

Yup. They're a pain to find, and I am pretty excited about them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HiipFire posted:

to be fair, this is a thing for alot of people

No, not like "Pink Floyd is a band and not a guy"

like "pink floyd is an entity that creates music"

like "The Beatles? I think I heard of them"

like these are actual things I heard from real life idiots.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

It can vary from album to album. For example, Hot Fuss by the killers has a special mastering for vinyl, since it actually has peaks.

Basically, you just have to do your research if you really care.

The worst case about using the wrong master was Post War by M Ward. On the CD, track 6 abd 7 blend together. There is a cross fade. On the vinyl, side one ends after track six. They didn't change the cross fade. It just stops.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
This looks loving incredible and only partway makes up for the fact that I have no Lightning Bolt on vinyl: http://famousclass.com/product/brian-chippendale-and-greg-saunier-lp/

quote:

Hand Numbered Edition of 500 on Electric Blue vinyl with White splatter. Comes with free MP3 download plus video of the entire performance and the documentary ‘Checking in at 20′.

Brian Chippendale and Greg Saunier, a limited edition LP/film of the two old friends’ first attempt at playing together as a drum duo. Recorded live at Death By Audio in June of 2013, these two relentless, breakneck improvisations (entitled “Side A” and “Side B”) show their interactions – one moment lost in cacophonous bliss, the next moment egging each other on to snowballing ludicrousness – in all their fascinating detail and deafening glory. Plus for once you get to see Brian with his mask off!

‘Brian Chippendale and Greg Saunier‘ is released in conjunction with the documentary ‘Checking in at 20′ out now on Death By Audio Films. https://www.deathbyaudiofilms.com

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Have no idea who they are but snagged because I love drums and documentaries.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Have no idea who they are but snagged because I love drums and documentaries.

Brian Chippendale is the drummer from Lightning Bolt, and Greg Saunier is the drummer in Deerhoof. If you love drums, check out both bands because holy poo poo.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hot Fuss by the killers

new thread title?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

illestG posted:

new thread title?

is the joke "the killers are bad" cause if so :rolleyes:

if not idgi because that was an actual informative post about mastering instead of 'look at my thrift store/amazon haul'

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the killers are bad

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

the killers are bad

One of the worst.

vinyl thread should be about really really good music and/or really horrible thrift store garbage and not mainstream pablum imo

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

One of the worst.

vinyl thread should be about really really good music and/or really horrible thrift store garbage and not mainstream pablum imo

Their first album was good. I mean the opener, Jenny Was A Friend of Mine, just great all around.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

BigFactory posted:

One of the worst.

This post is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy Artpop on vinyl, thanks

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

This post is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy Artpop on vinyl, thanks

No worries

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

abraham linksys posted:

well it is really really good

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I've just been buying the stuff I like on vinyl. I don't even own a record player.

I'll probably get the one that the OP recommends.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I've just been buying the stuff I like on vinyl. I don't even own a record player.

I'll probably get the one that the OP recommends.

What do you do with them?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I love to collect stuff and know that I someday will have a record player so I figure I may as well get them now (especially if they're limited) and use the download codes. Basically, I was going to buy a download code or CD anyway; why not just the vinyl that comes with a DL code?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
because it's like 4x the price at least

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Most of the stuff I buy: weezer, Decembrists, arcade fire, superchunk, etc. is maybe like $5-10 more.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

i scored pretty hard today. got madvillain - one beer 7" for .50$ and tons of other bomb poo poo including doggy dogg world 12" that came with some insane deathrow stickers. also got herbie hancock head hunters for a buck.

edit: how much should a sealed bitches brew typically go for ?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

illestG posted:

i scored pretty hard today. got madvillain - one beer 7" for .50$ and tons of other bomb poo poo including doggy dogg world 12" that came with some insane deathrow stickers. also got herbie hancock head hunters for a buck.

Sonuvabitch. Yard sale or something?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

illestG posted:

Like a sealed first press? I could see that going for $100 on ebay.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

illestG posted:

Send me some of those deathrow stickers

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

Sonuvabitch. Yard sale or something?

nah, found a new spot i'd never been to before. went back today and found some more awesome stuff. will get around to taking some pics here eventually. i also wanna catalog all my records soon.

BigFactory posted:

Like a sealed first press? I could see that going for $100 on ebay.

no, i'm pretty sure it's a reissue. i think there were 5000 made? i'll go back and check in a few days. they wanted 50 bucks but i'm not sure if that's a good price or what.

Chill Callahan posted:

Send me some of those deathrow stickers

dream on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

illestG posted:

no, i'm pretty sure it's a reissue. i think there were 5000 made? i'll go back and check in a few days. they wanted 50 bucks but i'm not sure if that's a good deal or not.

What are you going to do with it? If the answer is open it up and listen to it, you can buy one a lot cheaper on discogs.