Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ethiser posted:

So why exactly are all the characters who are dealing with the Killer in Akihabara girls? Did they explain that and I missed it?

The core of the raid team is Souji's harem. Most of the non-WWB ones (and some WWBs) are anime-original or imported from elsewhere (fanfic, mangas, TRPG).

But really it's because this is the girls' story. Shiroe's side is the guys' story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I paused near the end with the weapon shop and with flavor text becoming real they have their deus ex machina/chekov's gunsword all ready to go since it mentions the other sword on the display destroys armor it touches..

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 15, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that foreshadowing is so late it's nearly aftshadowing. They should have mentioned it at the start of the arc, long before the flavor text reveal.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Didn't think the last few episodes were that bad. But this felt like a total waste of 20 minutes.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Where is Rudy? What has he been doing this whole time? What has he been eating? What gear has he found? What have his trials and tribulations been? What is his current internal conflict? Give me the Rundelhaus, Log Horizon season 2, give me all of the Rundelhaus that you've been holding back.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hocus Pocus posted:

Where is Rudy? What has he been doing this whole time? What has he been eating? What gear has he found? What have his trials and tribulations been? What is his current internal conflict? Give me the Rundelhaus, Log Horizon season 2, give me all of the Rundelhaus that you've been holding back.

Rudy filler would have made for a better B-Plot this season.

Nice to see Akatsuki get her upgrade on and all, but aside from that all of this felt like "uhhhhhh let's give the ladies something to do...kinda." Princess is not nearly as fun as she was last season, which is a bummer. Oh well, hopefully next episode is the end of it.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Nice to see Akatsuki get her upgrade on and all, but aside from that all of this felt like "uhhhhhh let's give the ladies something to do...kinda." Princess is not nearly as fun as she was last season, which is a bummer. Oh well, hopefully next episode is the end of it.

With what happened to Krusty, sadly I think she might never be as fun as she was in season one. :smith:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I enjoyed this episode as it felt like the series was really starting to go somewhere, but then I think back on the last 20 minutes and realize nothing actually happened.

Unfortunately the whole "girls' side story" of this arc feels really artificial. I mean Souji and Nyanta are right there in the episode, but neither participates and Souji explicitly backed out.

That being said I think all the gloom of this thread is a bit uncalled for. It's a bit slower paced, and there have been some questionable decisions, but I'm still enjoying it and there hasn't been anything actively annoying or upsetting.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Desuwa posted:

Unfortunately the whole "girls' side story" of this arc feels really artificial. I mean Souji and Nyanta are right there in the episode, but neither participates and Souji explicitly backed out.

I agree, but isn't that one really flamboyant guy in Souji's harem also here?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I enjoyed this episode as it felt like the series was really starting to go somewhere, but then I think back on the last 20 minutes and realize nothing actually happened.

That being said I think all the gloom of this thread is a bit uncalled for. It's a bit slower paced, and there have been some questionable decisions, but I'm still enjoying it and there hasn't been anything actively annoying or upsetting.

Souji backing out makes some degree of narrative sense, nyanta less so. But, every appearance of nyanta this entire arc has been filler; I don't remember him showing up in the book, presumably because he was off doing other things and wasn't clued in to the situation. Him being present here but not doing anything is a bit hard to resolve.

That said, even if the plot is moving slowly, I'm enjoying the characters just interacting. But I can see how that would be less engaging to an anime-only viewer, eager to see what happens next.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I enjoyed this episode a lot, even if much of it was filler. Akatsuki couldn't go on as a character by only caring about and meaningfully interacting with Shiroe, and I like the way she and Lenessia were playing off each other's character development. Akatsuki's steps towards interacting with others and building up her self-esteem have been well worth watching, in my opinion.

It's not the only thing that was holding Akatsuki back, but I do think it's a pity that Shiroe didn't realise how inadequate being left behind in the city made Akatsuki feel. If he'd known, he could have been more emphatic about the importance of the role he was leaving her in.

Adelheid posted:

Souji backing out makes some degree of narrative sense, nyanta less so. But, every appearance of nyanta this entire arc has been filler; I don't remember him showing up in the book, presumably because he was off doing other things and wasn't clued in to the situation. Him being present here but not doing anything is a bit hard to resolve.

That makes such a lot more sense. It was so strange having him basically just waving the fighting team off as if what they were doing was trivial. There's no good reason for Nyanta to know what was going on and yet do nothing.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The character interactions are also way worse than last season though. I can kind of understand what sort of personality the women characters are supposed to be displaying by working backwards from the stilted dialog, but most of the interactions fall totally flat. There is no emotional weight to any character scene. The princess's dilemma should be a really interesting conflict but the whole friendship arc feels forced and artificial so who cares.

At least it felt like progress was being made this episode. Much better than the previous random whining of Akatsuki.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Remember, this isn't just a group effort to take down a madman. It is also a raid. What sort of jerk jumps into every raid even when they don't need the reward, thus preventing someone who does need it from having a spot? The reward in this case isn't tangible, is all.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Really, it's because he's possessed by a raid boss from several expansions back and Souji and Nyanta have already farmed him and thus have all the useful drops.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Really, it's because he's possessed by a raid boss from several expansions back and Souji and Nyanta have already farmed him and thus have all the useful drops.

I would be pretty happy if this was used as an explanation in the show honestly. :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

unseenlibrarian posted:

I liked how they were like "Rugrius? Uhhh...yeah...wasn't the guy who wanted revenge or something?" and Raynesia took it to be an expression of supreme calm instead of RPG players never remembering names.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
In the novel they mentioned that the all-girl party's cover story is Raynesia's daily tea party visitors, but I'm not really clear about the need for subterfuge in the first place.

I'm glad for the sake of Akatsuki's growth that Nyanta and Souji are not participating as she wants to step outside Shinroe's shadow and swapping his for theirs ain't really progress. I've recently started playing The Secret World and needed to be carried in both my successful runs of the 3rd dungeon (where the kids gloves come off) by people with epic level gear (far beyond the guideline requirements). While elated, the feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction is less than what I know I would have gotten if I've completed the dungeon with a group purely within the recommended gear level range. Akatsuki needs help, but also needs room to find her own confidence and discover her self-worth as an individual and as a raid member.

It's also probably easier for Akatsuki to ask the girls that she has meet through the Watermaple Tea Party and the first fight. Of course the Watermaple Street Raid Party are all lvl 90+ with the majority being well-equipped veteran raiders that probably have done Rugrius before, but I think the most important common thing about the group is that they are all volunteers. They have different reasons for participating, but are all motivated to rise up to this new challenge. The senior figures are happy to sit on the sidelines and let their kouhais bond, grow and overcome the challenge on their own, which is better than jumping into every single obstacle they might face. For that one can watch Kirito-kun :rolleyes:.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dervyn posted:

In the novel they mentioned that the all-girl party's cover story is Raynesia's daily tea party visitors, but I'm not really clear about the need for subterfuge in the first place.

I'm glad for the sake of Akatsuki's growth that Nyanta and Souji are not participating as she wants to step outside Shinroe's shadow and swapping his for theirs ain't really progress. I've recently started playing The Secret World and needed to be carried in both my successful runs of the 3rd dungeon (where the kids gloves come off) by people with epic level gear (far beyond the guideline requirements). While elated, the feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction is less than what I know I would have gotten if I've completed the dungeon with a group purely within the recommended gear level range. Akatsuki needs help, but also needs room to find her own confidence and discover her self-worth as an individual and as a raid member.

It's also probably easier for Akatsuki to ask the girls that she has meet through the Watermaple Tea Party and the first fight. Of course the Watermaple Street Raid Party are all lvl 90+ with the majority being well-equipped veteran raiders that probably have done Rugrius before, but I think the most important common thing about the group is that they are all volunteers. They have different reasons for participating, but are all motivated to rise up to this new challenge. The senior figures are happy to sit on the sidelines and let their kouhais bond, grow and overcome the challenge on their own, which is better than jumping into every single obstacle they might face. For that one can watch Kirito-kun :rolleyes:.

They're still worried about spies from the giant guild in the southern cities.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am deeply upset about this season's really poor ways to draw me in. Like, I get what they are going for with Akatsuki, but it comes across as really demeaning. Like slapping her in the face. Every bit of "aid" she gets from anyone but Shiroe has essentially been not so much a a show of support, but rather an attempt to kick her down.

I don't think that is what they were going for, but that was what I was feeling just sitting there and listening. It was just so drat awkward.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At least this episode was an improvement over the mostly incomprehensible mess of the last 3 or 4 episodes. Things are happening, story is progressing. Still not season 1 good, but closer than before and definitely more tolerable.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
sorry log horizon but i cannot buy for one second that not only did that one ddd lady actually friggin read that swords flavour text but memorize it and know waaaaaaaay more about that one particular swords ingame backstory than just those few sentences

because loving no one cares about flavour text

certainly not before the whole "it matters!!!!" reveal anyway

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dragonatrix posted:

sorry log horizon but i cannot buy for one second that not only did that one ddd lady actually friggin read that swords flavour text but memorize it and know waaaaaaaay more about that one particular swords ingame backstory than just those few sentences

Back when I played MMOs I knew tons of people who knew every little piece of lore like the back of their hand, so it seems pretty believable to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If it was just a random weapon, sure. But it was a signature drop from a raid boss with a unique gimmick. I don't think they went into it, but inside that dungeon there were a bunch of npc's that you had to rescue while fighting the boss. Each one that was removed from the area weakened the boss accordingly. A raid that requires such a high degree of planning and coordination would be rather memorable. By contrast, Shiroe's current raid is just a giant map with bosses scattered around.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dragonatrix posted:

She could've simply asked Akatsuki. She went and stared at that sword literally every day.

Also this game is 20 years old, these are adults playing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dragonatrix posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who knows all the flavor text and has a bank full of cool/funny-but-useless items in every MMO.

It's not that much different from keeping gimmick gear in Dark Souls because you like the story behind it. Who gets rid of Havel the Rock's stuff?

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Dragonatrix posted:

You don't care about flavor text, there are certainly people who do. Just go on any heavy RP server in WoW and try that argument with the RPers and you'd be laughed out of the room.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who knows all the flavor text and has a bank full of cool/funny-but-useless items in every MMO.

It's not that much different from keeping gimmick gear in Dark Souls because you like the story behind it. Who gets rid of Havel the Rock's stuff?

Who gets rid of anything in Dark Souls? Everything's a potential gimmick build.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
DEEN cut so many corners in this episode I'm surprised the screen ratio wasn't pi, but other than that it was an alright episode. The animation, when it was there, was decent enough.

Still, couldn't help but laugh at some of the scenes that were intended to be more serious.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The conclusion for the Akatsuki arc is concluded. And personally I like it, at the least how smart they positioned the fight. But dang it Shiroe is going to be pissed off as all hell when he hears that the entire town's defence grid got turned off because of a crazed lander.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

The conclusion for the Akatsuki arc is concluded. And personally I like it, at the least how smart they positioned the fight. But dang it Shiroe is going to be pissed off as all hell when he hears that the entire town's defence grid got turned off because of a crazed lander.

I agree. I don'tu nderstand why they would break down all their defenses to eliminate this one guy who they were doing a pretty good job of tackling on their own.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It gives adventurers more to do, though, so that's nice. Travel the area and quest, or defend your home. It's cool, I think.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

There Bias Two posted:

I agree. I don'tu nderstand why they would break down all their defenses to eliminate this one guy who they were doing a pretty good job of tackling on their own.

Because they didn't do a good job explaining the implications of the movable armor's teleport ability. Simply put, he could've run to R&R whenever he wanted.

(It also tripled his HP)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2014

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Man, they certainly did cheap out on that episode. At least it wasn't as bad as the last episode of Flame of Recca. In any case, they're finally gonna go back to the much more interesting plot, so that's a relief. Beyond the relief of seeing the Akihabara stuff end, they did wrap it up nicely. Also, is someone responsible for writing the changed flavor text, or is it ~mystical~? And who was that wolf guy, and what was he typing at the end?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC wolf dude is from the TRPG, same as the girl with black hair, yellow eyes and sleeveless top that gets a couple lines here and there and the other one with the amazing abs. Dude's probably in turn a reference to Man with a Mission, the guys who perform Database. They wear wolf heads in their performances (the quartet already had a proper cameo in S1).

In other news, stealing this from tumblr:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 22, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

This arc was more than a little confused, both thematically and in terms of pacing, but it wrapped up nicely enough. Though they could have probably cut an episode and a half from it without straining too hard.

Mordaedil posted:

Like, I get what they are going for with Akatsuki, but it comes across as really demeaning. Like slapping her in the face. Every bit of "aid" she gets from anyone but Shiroe has essentially been not so much a a show of support, but rather an attempt to kick her down.

I agree with this to some extent. The writing came off as unnecessarily mean-spirited to me and it made a huge deal out of what should have been a minor point. Maybe if Akatsuki was a shut-in with social anxiety or if she was extremely haughty about her skills the tone would have been warranted.

Also I don't get her obsession with calling herself weak either. It's true she might not be as much of a powerhouse as the hardcore raiders but she's still keeping pace in terms of level and combat strength. She just needs to do a few raids which is the equivalent of going to the gym for adventurers.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Ah, So crunchy have been translating "Overskill" as "the teachings" (that can't be taught :v:)

Suddenly things make more sense.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Desuwa posted:

I agree with this to some extent. The writing came off as unnecessarily mean-spirited to me and it made a huge deal out of what should have been a minor point. Maybe if Akatsuki was a shut-in with social anxiety or if she was extremely haughty about her skills the tone would have been warranted.

Also I don't get her obsession with calling herself weak either. It's true she might not be as much of a powerhouse as the hardcore raiders but she's still keeping pace in terms of level and combat strength. She just needs to do a few raids which is the equivalent of going to the gym for adventurers.
But she is a shut-in with social anxiety. That's kind of the point. Social awkwardness, inferiority complex, blah blah.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Kyte posted:

But she is a shut-in with social anxiety. That's kind of the point. Social awkwardness, inferiority complex, blah blah.

She might have some minor social anxiety but I was thinking of something much worse. From what we've seen she's not extremely social but she's not that anti-social either, not to the point where I thought the tone of the writing was justified anyway.

e: Yeah Overskill is much clearer than Teachings, doubly so now that we know more about how they work.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that even beyond Akatsuki's woes being boring and the pacing being terrible, the premise of the arc just isn't very interesting. Like, some random NPC we know nothing about jacked some magic armor and was in turn jacked by a magic sword. That's boring. The only part where it wasn't boring was the very end where we get some of that tactical combat with the running battles and traps that make fights in this show actually interesting. And that just isn't worth the rest of the arc.

Then again to me the most interesting parts of this show are just when adventurers and npcs sit down and have shouting matches across the table about politics, or when we're getting setting lectures of some variety, which I'm sure is a minority opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Desuwa posted:

e: Yeah Overskill is much clearer than Teachings, doubly so now that we know more about how they work.

Except it's not supposed to be clear what it is: Akatsuki had no clue what they were. It's also supposed to follow the naming scheme of the other 4 ranks of skill, which all have to do with being taught or learning. Unless it says "Overskill" in katakana somewhere in the novels, I would trust the words that are actually coming out of the characters' mouths more than some term seemingly made up by an amateur translator because he thought it sounded cool.

Actually, I've heard this sentiment a lot ("oh, those are supposed to be called Overskills"), and absent direct textual evidence I'm going to assume it's some poisonous meme affecting the weak-minded. Crunchyroll isn't a perfect translator, but it should be obvious to anyone watching the anime that that they're saying a Japanese word, and it is literally impossible for that the translate to "Overskill" since that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: I'm sure the fan translators had some sort of reason, and it's hard to judge the meaning of a Japanese word without seeing how it's written, but Teachings is a perfectly valid interpretation of what the actors actually say.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread