Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Ash warnings are slightly broken on trunk right now.

He's getting senile in his old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

Ash warnings are slightly broken on trunk right now.

I will never escape this hell.

(The last of those should fix that issue, once the servers rebuild.)

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Super promising Vampire run cut short by Shambling Magrove who was immune to my bolt of draining. Guess I really needed to diversify spells! I'm assuming for next time around I'd be better off with a strong fire spell as a backup for when Bolt of Draining isn't working?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There's more than one way to mulch a tree, but yeah you can't exclusively be a necro-conjurer and expect to blast everything down.

It mostly depends on what books drop. If nothing promising drops by the end of lair you either need to have picked a spell-granting god or go hybrid or find a rod or something.

Fire goes decently well with necromancy because a good bit of undead stuff burns well, bones and all. Ice is a poor supplement because rN and rC go together like two things that go together very often but not 100% of the time

kaschei fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 22, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Maxmaps posted:

I'm assuming for next time around I'd be better off with a strong fire spell as a backup for when Bolt of Draining isn't working?
Outside of Vampires having a -2 for Fire Magic, sure.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Is there something I can add to my rcfile so that when I autoexplore/wait, I'm warned before necromutation runs out instead of it just going away?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Davzz posted:

Outside of Vampires having a -2 for Fire Magic, sure.
And the -3 in Conj(what with every directly-damaging fire spell being part conjurations)

You'll want to diversify with any resist-checking spell school because of immunities; you can chug along with evocables for a while, but you should really be looking to branch out by lair or so if possible. It's hard to go wrong with Earth magic as a supplement because of its pure physical damage. Fire would work well too except for Vp's pesky apt problems.

IronicDongz posted:

Is there something I can add to my rcfile so that when I autoexplore/wait, I'm warned before necromutation runs out instead of it just going away?
runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Haifisch posted:

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.
That helps. It's still kinda annoying though, it'd be nice if it worked kinda like rMsl. Maybe it could not have a time limit but holy damage would knock you out of lichform or something

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Maxmaps posted:

Super promising Vampire run cut short by Shambling Magrove who was immune to my bolt of draining. Guess I really needed to diversify spells! I'm assuming for next time around I'd be better off with a strong fire spell as a backup for when Bolt of Draining isn't working?

Yeah I ran the gently caress away from those things.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah I ran the gently caress away from those things.

I turned a corner and ended up facing one who noticed and rooted me right away. Couldn't turn into a bat because of the roots, by time I was a the stairs he was next to me. Teaches me to be more well-rounded, though.

Also I feel like I can never pick a god that isn't Kiku as a vampire, corpses on demand to manage satiation levels or craft a bunch of abominations on the fly is so freaking nice.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Maxmaps posted:

I turned a corner and ended up facing one who noticed and rooted me right away. Couldn't turn into a bat because of the roots, by time I was a the stairs he was next to me. Teaches me to be more well-rounded, though.

Also I feel like I can never pick a god that isn't Kiku as a vampire, corpses on demand to manage satiation levels or craft a bunch of abominations on the fly is so freaking nice.

I tend to go Ash so it makes it easier to branch off into other magic schools. Ash is pretty good at helping you plan out your stabbing better too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Things what are fun:
1. phantom mirrors
2. scrolls of vulnerability
3. the unholy union of the above and TRJ

3 turns :buddy:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Huh, I wouldn't even thought about doing that but it seems so obvious in retrospect.

Incoming Phantom Mirror nerf?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's worth mentioning that I had like 20 evocations, but I don't think that matters since apparently MR just lowers the time the phantom hangs around? I wasn't expecting it to go that fast which is why I used the vulnerability scroll but they just shredded each other.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
fun fact: when phantom mirror was first added, if you used it on the royal jelly, whichever one died first would cause the other one to vanish & the slime:6 vaults to turn into transparent rock.

another one for the -shaped Royal Jelly pile

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bet that warmed him up :ironicat:

e: annnd I'm now one away from 10 wins
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-2622-gbfab2ba (webtiles) character file.

14753685 Shard1697 the Meteorologist (level 27, 217/217 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Skald on Nov 22, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes!

The game lasted 08:15:07 (107045 turns).

Shard1697 the Meteorologist (Demonspawn Skald)    Turns: 107045, Time: 08:15:07

Health: 217/217    AC: 30    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  53/53      EV: 23    Int: 23    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   9080       SH:  0    Dex: 21    Spells: 12 memorised, 8 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +8 bardiche (chop)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     K - +5 fire dragon armour of Lies {rElec rF++ rC- Slay+4} (curse)
rNeg   . . .     SustAb   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +         Spirit   +     z - +2 cloak {MR+} (curse)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     Z - +1 pair of gloves of Kodoex {rPois Str+4} (curse)
rMut   +         Stasis   .     S - +2 pair of boots {run} (curse)
MR     +++..                    o - amulet of resist mutation (curse)
Stlth  +.........               E - ring "Ryuriuto" {rF+ rC+ MP+9 SInv} (curse)
                                T - ring of Gawahoch {Wiz Str+5} (curse)

@: deflect missiles, quick, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: horns 3, thin skeletal structure 3, cold resistance 1, passive freeze,
powered by pain 3, magic shield, magic regeneration, magic link, freezing cloud
immunity
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Shard1697/morgue-Shard1697-20141122-100628.txt

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 22, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
What even creates "X is very cold" message? Tornado?

Is there any way to automate casting of Ozo Armour? My Ice Elementalist always seem to die because I keep forgetting to turn it on before major encounters... or something like walking down stairs where I left 2 Hydras or something.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
You could Macro it. Open the help menu and look up the info on macros.
Basically, Ctrl-D, macro, set the key (F1?), then zX, where X is the spell slot for the armor.

I wish Ozocuba's, Stoneskin, Shroud of Golubria, et al followed the same rules as repel missiles - cast once and it's good for several hits, not for time.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

PleasingFungus posted:

Without looking at that image, what's better: :(, :|, or :P?

:| is the best of those (I didn't look).

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

You could Macro it.

I wish Ozocuba's, Stoneskin, Shroud of Golubria, et al followed the same rules as repel missiles - cast once and it's good for several hits, not for time.
Yeah, it's already macro'd into a one button command but it keeps slipping my mind.

And also I agree with that suggestion.

Though Shroud is kinda lame and the fastest "falling off" buff ever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Davzz posted:

What even creates "X is very cold" message? Tornado?

Its the passive freezing mutation that demonspawn can get.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think I figured out my control issues in the latest trunk... seems like it's caused by leaving Numlock on... and then it makes it so that the Keypad is pressed twice or something. Used to work fine even with Numlock on.

For that matter, it seems like the Function Key binds seem to have changed too looking at my macro files.

For the key F1:
Old:
M:\{-282}
A:Za

New:
M:\{-1073741882} (um...)
A:Za

I think someone might have broke something somewhere.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

If I'm playing webtiles and I get bored with a character and want to start a new one, do I have to suicide the existing character or is there a way to set them aside to finish the game later?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ghouls are so much less annoying to play now. They're actually pretty cool. Thanks again for food changes, PF.

Hey, and here's a question. How much does claws 1 actually contribute to unarmed damage? Should I wear a really good pair of gauntlets if I find them? Is there a slaying bonus from gauntlets that would outweigh claws?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 22, 2014

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I don't think I've ever ghouled before. I'm guessing monk is a common start? I remember something about ice magic apt being ok. Ru has been cool but I wouldn't know what other god might be favorable. Open to opinions

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Parallax Scroll posted:

If I'm playing webtiles and I get bored with a character and want to start a new one, do I have to suicide the existing character or is there a way to set them aside to finish the game later?

Play on a different server.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I am Otis posted:

I don't think I've ever ghouled before. I'm guessing monk is a common start? I remember something about ice magic apt being ok. Ru has been cool but I wouldn't know what other god might be favorable. Open to opinions

I rolled a ghoul monk and found an oki alter early. Leaned on heroism a little more than I would with another start, maybe, but not too bad.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Hey, and here's a question. How much does claws 1 actually contribute to unarmed damage? Should I wear a really good pair of gauntlets if I find them? Is there a slaying bonus from gauntlets that would outweigh claws?
Claws X = +2 Base Damage for each X (so 2 in this case).

I have no idea how much Slaying you would want to make up for covering up your claws since Slaying is added at the end while Base Damage is affected by skills etc IIRC.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Either of the two unrands with slaying (Gauntlets of War and Fencer's Gloves) are better than the ghoul claws.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

Many people have multiple accounts for this purpose. I personally have like 12 across various servers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oops, hosed up my streak by taking on a halberd gnoll as a HuFi. I didn't expect him to have a buddy show up to net me. Always be cautious!

Won on the very next attempt, though.

code:
2250713 Brannock the Slayer (level 27, 251/251 HPs)
             Began as a Centaur Fighter on Nov 22, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Ru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes!

The game lasted 03:26:01 (76297 turns).
It took me multiple tries to get something going with Ru -- you just kind of have to bite the bullet and sacrifice something major early on so his aura of power can start kicking in. Before this game I was trying to minmax with my sacrifices too hard and ended up getting his benefits too late for it to matter and ended up dying anyway.

Once you max out, though, fights become vastly easier in a way similar to how Chei eases fights for you. Apocalypse (which should be renamed something like Manifest Truth or something, idk) is ridiculously good, and once you're hitting Vaults:5/Depths range you can pop it for huge packs and regain the skill drain pretty quickly. Draw Out Power (which also needs a rename to better fit Ru's flavor) is a solid heal with fairly minimal draining.

But that's not even the really relevant part of this win, check this poo poo out kaschei!!!

code:
 33651 | Elf:3    | Entered Level 3 of the Elven Halls
 34756 | Elf:3    | Cast into the Abyss (a deep elf demonologist)
 36173 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss
 36355 | Elf:3    | Cast into the Abyss (a deep elf sorcerer)
 38061 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss
 38420 | Elf:3    | Cast into the Abyss (a deep elf sorcerer)
 38714 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss
 39886 | Elf:3    | Cast into the Abyss (a deep elf demonologist)
 40041 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

BigFactory posted:

I rolled a ghoul monk and found an oki alter early. Leaned on heroism a little more than I would with another start, maybe, but not too bad.

Does he give you safe jump setups at max piety

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brannock posted:

Apocalypse (which should be renamed something like Manifest Truth or something, idk)

Lasty actually looked around for possible new names for this until somebody pointed out that "apocalypse" literally translates to "that which is revealed" (the modern sense of "end of the world" came via the Bible). So it's pretty spot on. Draw Out Power and Power Leap could use bikeshedding though.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

megane posted:

Power Leap could use bikeshedding though.

Leap of Faith

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

megane posted:

Lasty actually looked around for possible new names for this until somebody pointed out that "apocalypse" literally translates to "that which is revealed" (the modern sense of "end of the world" came via the Bible). So it's pretty spot on. Draw Out Power and Power Leap could use bikeshedding though.

I was going to suggest Revelation until you mentioned that since I'd forgotten. (It means 'un-covering', incidentally, the process rather than the thing that is revealed.)

I agree that Draw Out Power and Power Leap need better names. I was trying to think of a good soul reference for Draw Out Power but didn't come up with anything beyond Energize Soul, which isn't much better. As for Power Leap, why not Leap of Faith?

e: ^^^^^ whoops!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I still like Revelation more than Apocalypse because it makes the 'flavor' more obvious and you still have the apocalyptic connotations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

megane posted:

Ooh, I didn't know that. That's actually a great name then.

"Faith" doesn't fit for Ru -- he doesn't ask for faith or belief, just discipline, sacrifice, and comprehension.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Brannock posted:

Ooh, I didn't know that. That's actually a great name then.

"Faith" doesn't fit for Ru -- he doesn't ask for faith or belief, just discipline, sacrifice, and comprehension.

I agree, but his bar is still called piety, so there's some references allowed (he's not like Gozag or Xom, who don't have it). If I wanted to get foreign I'd suggest Prapti for Power Leap, but basically nobody would recognize it.

As for Draw Out Power, why not Transcendence or Self-Perfection or something? It gives you a bit of everything - HP, MP, cures status.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm bad and only play offline but I've got a character going that seems promising aside from me not having a drat clue what I'm doing and not finding any MR yet.

http://pastebin.com/a9kpBB89

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The Orange Mage posted:

I'm bad and only play offline but I've got a character going that seems promising aside from me not having a drat clue what I'm doing and not finding any MR yet.

http://pastebin.com/a9kpBB89

Any advice?

Orc / D 15 -> Spider(4) -> Shoals(4) -> Branch Ends -> Vaults

E; You got a good base to build on i think. Use your Scrying ability to give you an edge if your afraid you'll run into nasty's. Ash will let you do w/e with your skills and it looks like you should be looking for ways to branch into Ice since you have cold staff + manual. Something good would probably be some sort of bolt of cold that pierces rC.

Apart from that just keep training some core skills and dont spread it TOO thin even tho Ash boosts poo poo.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 22, 2014

• Locked thread