Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thanks. i work hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I didn't read this post, but Plutonis is my friend. Farewell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Beginner's Box just to get the battle mat and a bunch of minis.

I'd suggest not doing it. There are cheaper methods to get battle mats and minis and pathfinder is practically a free game that isn't very good.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Mmm, Yes, Actually It Is I Who Has Been Owned

You have.

Widestancer posted:

What can be fun are placemats that you can find; sometimes you can get a themed one that works well. If you have a really big group I've also used one of those rugs that has stuff on it like roads and houses and we made up fun stuff to fit it.

It's cheap and it works well if you play with people who have a shred of humor in them.

One of my friends once got this huge piece of plexiglass and put a grid on it with I think tracing paper and permanent marker. It was the sickest mat I've ever seen, frankly.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You have.

One of my friends once got this huge piece of plexiglass and put a grid on it with I think tracing paper and permanent marker. It was the sickest mat I've ever seen, frankly.

That sounds good and amazing and I'm gonna have to try that also lol.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Widestancer posted:

That sounds good and amazing and I'm gonna have to try that also lol.

He used like this big ruler tool thing to get the grid right...I forget what they're called.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

He used like this big ruler tool thing to get the grid right...I forget what they're called.

A yardstick?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

I see IRC logs and wonder why people keep them. Seems kind of gay.

Whoah dude if you're not careful some batshit crazy person is going to call you a homophobe 59585474874940 times and then Ettin is going to probate you or something and then some dude is going to go :smug: and everyone will get owned

Just looking out for you bruah

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Do people play RPGs on IRC?

Yes; would you be interested in playing Imp Zone FATAL soon since the last game I ran went so well?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Do people play RPGs on IRC?

I play some games over IRC because my old group is really spread out. It's slower than gaming around the table but a lot faster than play-by-post.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'd argue that when someone has averaged nearly one probation or ban per week then they should perhaps be given less leeway on a discussion board than the average person.

On the topic of minis, I've tended to scavenge through my prior supplies and use various figures, tiles, and mats from Starcraft and Descent. Thus my current setup for Black Crusade involves red/blue Marines for the folks in power armor, red/blue Firebats for the folks in Terminators, and a Goliath for the Heretek's Broadside. (At this point they've reached the point in the power curve where they're leading armies.)

Funny enough, if you're already considering ordering stuff from FFG, then you can grab a battlemat for 5$ as part of a now-defunct Descent 1E expansion. (Don't buy it on its own, however; the shipping costs are kinda steep for a single item.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

I play some games over IRC because my old group is really spread out. It's slower than gaming around the table but a lot faster than play-by-post.

Didn't you do a Skype game with 6FU for Breakfast Cult? How'd you like that, as a medium?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ettin posted:

Roll20+Skype is a pretty good tool, but I can see using IRC if you've got people coming from varying levels of connectivity.

I'm still dreading trying to run my current 13th Age game while I study abroad in Hong Kong

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

I'd argue that when someone has averaged nearly one probation or ban per week then they should perhaps be given less leeway on a discussion board than the average person.

On the topic of minis, I've tended to scavenge through my prior supplies and use various figures, tiles, and mats from Starcraft and Descent. Thus my current setup for Black Crusade involves red/blue Marines for the folks in power armor, red/blue Firebats for the folks in Terminators, and a Goliath for the Heretek's Broadside. (At this point they've reached the point in the power curve where they're leading armies.)

Funny enough, if you're already considering ordering stuff from FFG, then you can grab a battlemat for 5$ as part of a now-defunct Descent 1E expansion. (Don't buy it on its own, however; the shipping costs are kinda steep for a single item.)

Ettin seems like a pretty chill dude/dudette/flumph so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but there are definitely people who eat piles of probes who are really funny. Whether Plutonis is that person or not is up to you but yeah, there are people who do some fun stuff.

Re using minis and repurposing stuff is the best. I find it always gets compliments and is better on the pocketbook as well.

zen death robot posted:

I have a sister-in-law who is married to my wife's sister and she calls poo poo gay in a negative/derogatory way all the time. :shrug:

:wth:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Widestancer posted:

A yardstick?

It was some kind of machine that's probably really common but I can't remember the name of it at all, lol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I used IRC to play with a mixed group of Americans and British for about 6 years almost. Sadly a few months back life changes finally caught up to us to the point where scheduling has been a nightmare. We're basically on permanent hiatus now and it sucks. :smith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

zen death robot posted:

I have a sister-in-law who is married to my wife's sister and she calls poo poo gay in a negative/derogatory way all the time. :shrug:

I bet you have a black friend, too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

neongrey posted:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ettin posted:

I used to run a lot of my games on IRC, but have switched over to voice chat because it was going too slow with 5 players.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

neongrey posted:

Um, a lot of people do. Are you unwell.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plague of Hats posted:

Didn't you do a Skype game with 6FU for Breakfast Cult? How'd you like that, as a medium?

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Roll20+Skype is a pretty good tool, but I can see using IRC if you've got people coming from varying levels of connectivity.

I did Roll20+Skype with 6FU and it was pretty great. I made a couple of dumb mistakes because I wasn't used to gaming with those guys and didn't have any body language to read to make up for it though. Voice chat doesn't work so well with my usual group so I'm probably not using Skype again for a while. :negative:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ettin posted:

I did Roll20+Skype with 6FU and it was pretty great. I made a couple of dumb mistakes because I wasn't used to gaming with those guys and didn't have any body language to read to make up for it though. Voice chat doesn't work so well with my usual group so I'm probably not using Skype again for a while. :negative:

Skype sux and I don't like voice chat for Online Tabletop Gaming but, it seems like it's just what everyone uses these days.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the advice - I knew that starting from what sounded like a bad idea would get a lot of input on better approaches.

zen death robot posted:

Skype seems better than "Google Hangouts" at least.

What is the functional difference? I use roll20+Skype.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

zen death robot posted:

Several, but I know what you're insinuating and you can kindly gently caress off.

If you don't like what I'm insinuating maybe you shouldn't make those kinds of claims. Sorry not being a shithead is a real burden on you. :buddy:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

neongrey posted:

These are like the whitest things you ever could have said. Jesus.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

neongrey posted:

If you don't like what I'm insinuating maybe you shouldn't make those kinds of claims. Sorry not being a shithead is a real burden on you. :buddy:

You're being an even bigger shithead here.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

neongrey posted:

Calm down dude.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What's that this guy mentioned something normal and relatable to an every day American better call him a shithead and try to crucify him I'm sure that'll make all of us poor minorities feel better

(as a minority myself, hell, a double minority, it doesn't, in fact it's kind of insulting)

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Widestancer posted:

Whoah dude if you're not careful some batshit crazy person is going to call you a homophobe 59585474874940 times and then Ettin is going to probate you or something and then some dude is going to go :smug: and everyone will get owned

Just looking out for you bruah

yeah wow someone saying "that's homophobic" when someone says disgusting homophobic poo poo is c r a z y like what is this tumblr? :psyduck:

real talk though don't y'all have another subforum where you can be as racist and homophobic and transphobic and shitpostery as you want while you talk about nerd stuff

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I prefer Hangouts, but I don't think there's all that big of a difference.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ningyou posted:

yeah wow someone saying "that's homophobic" when someone says disgusting homophobic poo poo is c r a z y like what is this tumblr? :psyduck:

real talk though don't y'all have another subforum where you can be as racist and homophobic and transphobic and shitpostery as you want while you talk about nerd stuff

There's a difference between calling someone out on that poo poo which they should and being overly thin skinned and neurotic about it. Every time someone cracks on women on this site I don't flip my poo poo; same with Asians. I certainly don't need anyone doing it for me either.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Man, I thought we'd moved on to good chat and now we're back to a TG/IZ dance-off only without the dancing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ettin posted:

Man, I thought we'd moved on to good chat and now we're back to a TG/IZ dance-off only without the dancing.

People just love to shitpost and get shitposted on. :shrug:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Widestancer posted:

There's a difference between calling someone out on that poo poo which they should and being overly thin skinned and neurotic about it. Every time someone cracks on women on this site I don't flip my poo poo; same with Asians. I certainly don't need anyone doing it for me either.

While I'm happy you can shrug it off, I would suggest that that sort of poo poo...

Ningyou posted:

racist and homophobic and transphobic and shitpostery

...ought not to be tolerated in a perfect world. And we on SA in general and TG in specific do strive to have some standards--that's why we have the paywall, right?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ettin posted:

I can dance if you want. There was an old class back in 2E D&D called the "Worldbreaker" that IIRC cast spell after spell as they danced. I think it was in the old Al Qadim campaign.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Davin Valkri posted:

While I'm happy you can shrug it off, I would suggest that that sort of poo poo...

...ought not to be tolerated in a perfect world. And we on SA in general and TG in specific do strive to have some standards--that's why we have the paywall, right?

If SA had standards, Imp Zone and FYAD wouldn't exist.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davin Valkri posted:

We have a paywall so Lowtax can feed his kids

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Yeah, but look through some of the posts here where people completely flip their poo poo about it and tell me with a straight face that it's not reaching the point of patronizing. Standards are good though and if someone thinks posting "n*gger" 50000000000 times is funny well they get banned like they probably should.

zen death robot posted:

There's a lot of thin-skinned posters here, I had no idea. Sorry for your misfortune, I bet sorting through the reports is a nightmare at times.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Widestancer posted:

I can dance if you want.

Can you leave your friends behind?

Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
They're oppressors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gnome7 posted:

If SA had standards, Imp Zone and FYAD wouldn't exist.

Nothing wrong with FYAD.

• Locked thread