Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Torka posted:

gonna watch every recommendation made so far itt (except EoT already seen it), thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Like was the guy that made prometheus a literal retard? How did he think ANY of that would work?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

roymorrison posted:

Like was the guy that made prometheus a literal retard? How did he think ANY of that would work?

it got a big rewrite from hit script writer damon lindedorf

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

roymorrison posted:

Why was prometheus so bad? Like I know what made it bad, but why the gently caress did anybody greenlight that thing. It's like watching a teenage slasher flick from the 90s level of bad as far as characters actions. I mean nomi rapace loving runs in a straight line away from a big rolling space ship. The first two guys just straight inexplicably wander off and get fucken owned. What the hell? I mean it's dumb poo poo that I expect characters in a cartoon to do. Like one of the characters being a furry wouldn't have been out of place, that's how bad it is.
'metheus is a great film

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Prometheus was a bad movie with enough production quality to be watchable. Just don't think too hard about... anything in the movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

down with slavery posted:

Prometheus was a bad movie with enough production quality to be watchable. Just don't think too hard about... anything in the movie.

Michael fassbender is also always a sexy beast on the silver screen

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

etalian posted:

Michael fassbender is also always a sexy beast on the silver screen
Honestly his performance in the movie is one of the few redeemable aspects

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

roymorrison posted:

Why was prometheus so bad? Like I know what made it bad, but why the gently caress did anybody greenlight that thing. It's like watching a teenage slasher flick from the 90s level of bad as far as characters actions. I mean nomi rapace loving runs in a straight line away from a big rolling space ship. The first two guys just straight inexplicably wander off and get fucken owned. What the hell? I mean it's dumb poo poo that I expect characters in a cartoon to do. Like one of the characters being a furry wouldn't have been out of place, that's how bad it is.

Maybe you should stick to cartoons fella

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

toons

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

for my 2000s picks
-Planet of the Apes movies
-Looper
-Monsters
-Edge of Tomorrow
-Moon
-District 9
-Dredd
-Europa Report

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
prometheus is a pretty good movie but not nearly as good as how it's stuck in the collective psychic craw of retards on the internet

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Apes movies are for real really good and gave us this great treasure:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
currently watching Cloud Atlas

will watch all the other sci fi movies recommended here

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

taint piercer

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gonna watch europa report right now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

-Monsters

seen everything else and i more or less agree with that but i never saw this. is this movie good?

also if you're being technically 2000+, what about Pitch Black??

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

numberoneposter posted:

gonna watch europa report right now

I'm going to watch this one really soon too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The new Planet of the Apes series has good parts, but they both spend too much time on boring human-ape relationships, and in the second one they could have replaced all the human characters with mannequins wheeled around on dollies by stagehands and it wouldn't have negatively effected the movie.

Xaris posted:

seen everything else and i more or less agree with that but i never saw this. is this movie good?

Monsters is good, but it drags in places because it was mostly the actors wandering around mexico ad-libing all the dialogue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you know looking through a list i don't really see any sci-fi movies in the 2000s i like enough to go "yep, that's the best"

i mean i liked prometheus, moon, district 9, redline, etc. but there's nothing on the level of like the body snatchers or w/e

i guess i should probably get around to watching the fountain

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pitch Black is just a really solid movie whatever you think of the Riddick character or the other movies really (he's not even the main character in Pitch Black!)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

it's a low key creature feature that was filmed in Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeofv4dr9Q

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

pitch black is neat but its kinda sad when the video game based on the movie is deeper and better than the movie it was based on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

The Apes movies are for real really good and gave us this great treasure:

koba did nothing wrong

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does Children of Men count as science fiction, because if it does then it's the only correct answer.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Whatever happened to the actor from that? He was big for a while and then it was like he vanished

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

Does Children of Men count as science fiction, because if it does then it's the only correct answer.

i don't know if it counts as sci fi but it owned.

ProPaynis
Apr 3, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Whatever happened to the actor from that? He was big for a while and then it was like he vanished

Who? Clive Owen? He's done quite a bit of work since then and the first season of The Knick was pretty amazing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Oh he went to TV, okay, it was just that I can't really remember him in anything since Shoot 'Em Up and Elizabeth II: Let's Ruin Elizabeth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

any more obscure movies from the 2000s worth watching?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

etalian posted:

any more obscure movies from the 2000s worth watching?

Do you mean 2000-2010 or just anything after 2000?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you like stupid B genre-mashup action movies you should watch Priest with Paul Bettany and Karl Urban it's a good example of that kind of movie

e: Priest is 2011

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Watch The Signal

It's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ilXo6WJus

:gerty:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Do you mean 2000-2010 or just anything after 2000?

2000 and onwards, most online lists are not up to date.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Frackie Robinson posted:

ehh it kind of does and probably technically is, but i wouldnt exactly count it as scifi, or at least it's not what immediately comes to mind when describing it :shrug:

also Minority Report was good at the time. e: and A Scanner Darkly.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 24, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
cmon tars

CMON TARS

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tighclops posted:

cmon tars

CMON TARS

he's easily the best character in Interstellar

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

he's easily the best character in Interstellar

similar to planet of the Apes, a CGI character was more interesting than any of the human actors

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Primer is cool because the science in it is kind of plausible and it follows its own rules very rigidly but I still have basically no idea what the gently caress happened in the entire second half. You basically need to read the wikipedia or watch it 4 times to understand that nonsense.

I haven't heard of 90% of the movies suggested in this thread but I always love :spergin: about lovely physics in movies so I'll probably give them a watch sometime

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'd add Snowpiercer to the list for a somewhat newer movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah I need to see Snowpiercer real soon too!

• Locked thread