Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

I didn't actually look at who the Q Society were until just now, that's pretty funny.

I was really disappointed the first time I discovered they weren't a John de Lancie fan club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Murodese posted:

Yes, but social media has a youth bias and youth has a progressive bias. This is, somehow, irrelevant when we're talking about long-term decision-making primarily affecting the current youth audience, for whatever reason.

It's not actually that relevant from the POV of the narrative-creators in any internet medium, they're hip to it. They just use it as the typical battering ram the Right always does. Endless tweets from fellow-travellers of candidates, facebook pages "just sayin", and that's not even getting started with the bots and trolls if you happen to get serious notice with an unapproved opinion.

I think news.com.au is shifting its focus to compete with the British imports and it spends as much time on tabloid irrelevancy as it does on politics, a slightly nicer Hun in fact.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Briefly interrupting IWC chat to remind people John de Lancie owns.

That is all.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.facebook.com/pages/STOP-the-70m-Islamic-BOYS-Boarding-School-Mareeba-QLD/696007740495055

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Out of curiosity not-IWC, what's your opinion on an Islamic school being privately founded?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Sanguine posted:

(2GB/News Ltd/Coalition vs ABC/Fairfax/Social Media/Labor-Left/Greens)

Isn't the point of social media that it's straight from the horse's mouth? This is literally 'reality has a left bias'.

I've actually heard a Liberal supporters claim that Facebook is 'overrun with left-wing bias'.

I don't know either.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You should join them, you might make some more friends!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Chaser didn't stop being funny because Labor got in, they stopped being funny because they were only ever good at making a public nuisance of themselves and they eventually hit a point where they couldn't do that anymore.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo Chaser didn't stop being funny because Labor got in, they stopped being funny because they were only ever good at making a public nuisance of themselves and they eventually hit a point where they couldn't do that anymore.

Vale The Roast.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There are only two funny Australian TV people and one of them is a New Zealander

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

You should join them, you might make some more friends!

Nah mate, my next set of friends will be in The Greens right after I'm done campaigning for Kate Jones, I swear.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's not entirely true. A lot of Howard government ministers were extremely easy to satirise, as well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There are only two funny Australian TV people and one of them is a New Zealander

Ah yes, Derryn Hinch :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Murodese posted:

That's not entirely true. A lot of Howard government ministers were extremely easy to satirise, as well.

Is the outlook from then all that different from now? I can't tell, since I wasn't really paying attention to politics until the 2007 election.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Murodese posted:

Out of curiosity not-IWC, what's your opinion on an Islamic school being privately founded?

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed given that other groups can do it. Unfortunately a lot of Islamic schools around the world are funded with Saudi money designed to promote Wahhabi Islam which I hardly need to say is a violent, intolerant, homophobic and misogyny type of religion.

So I guess the question we need to ask ourselves is do we want more kids in Australia to be indoctrinated with violence, intolerance homophobia and misogyny.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Are you implying that the q society would commission a poll which maximised the chances of presenting anti-Islamic views? :aaaaa:

It's a morgan poll, please learn to read.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

It's a morgan poll, please learn to read.

Which is why I said the Q Sociey commissioned the poll, not conducted it, please learn to read.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Even if they didn't, Roy Morgan is Bad At Polling

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So I guess the question we need to ask ourselves is do we want more kids in Australia to be indoctrinated with violence, intolerance homophobia and misogyny.

But enough about the status quo.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

The NRL's role in society is not in question here, dude.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Complicated question: what actually has more impact on the average Australian's life, the decisions of the federal government or the decisions of their particular state government? I have a gut feeling that despite the general focus on federal politics, it's the state. But I don't know!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Goodpart posted:

The NRL's catholic church's liberal party's role in society is not in question here, dude.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Complicated question: what actually has more impact on the average Australian's life, the decisions of the federal government or the decisions of their particular state government? I have a gut feeling that despite the general focus on federal politics, it's the state. But I don't know!

First define an average Australian.

Welfare is handled through the Feds so that has a major impact on many many people.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

The Welfare Lobby posted:

I've actually heard a Liberal supporters claim that Facebook is 'overrun with left-wing bias'.

I don't know either.

I have no data to back this up, but it seems that me that Twitter is heavily left wing, but Facebook has a considerable right-wing 'community'.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Quasimango posted:

I have no data to back this up, but it seems that me that Twitter is heavily left wing, but Facebook has a considerable right-wing 'community'.

Twitter has PLENTY of right wing people so I don't think it's heavily left wing. The things that go viral are usually left'ish but I bring that down to the incompetence of the right do anything of the sort. you'll find most of the right wingers on any sporting event hash tag.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Complicated question: what actually has more impact on the average Australian's life, the decisions of the federal government or the decisions of their particular state government?

The answer is Muslims.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Sanguine posted:

(2GB/News Ltd/Coalition vs ABC/Fairfax/Social Media/Labor-Left/Greens)

Isn't the point of social media that it's straight from the horse's mouth? This is literally 'reality has a left bias'.

The Australian commonly rails against twitter for some reason, even though it's really just a platform for anyone with an internet connection and a bile duct.

It seems to be to do with twitter being new media (new media bad, is not fact checked, is the hive of young people, CITIZEN JOURNALISTS etc.) and I think being a fairly direct speaking medium, it doesn't broadcast through an 'institution' like a newspaper, so of course conservative types rail against it as being an out of control den of bullies, trolls and misinformation.

Also people can call them out on their bullshit directly over twitter rather than through the letters page (or a Media Watch segment) so they complain about being ganged up on by the twitterati.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I saw a Muslim once.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Avshalom posted:

I saw a Muslim once.

it was actually Chris Lilley in brownface

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Pred1ct posted:

The Australian commonly rails against twitter for some reason,

The Australian is against anything that lets people access news (or any content really) except through them (or other approved news corp service that the punters pay for).

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Good ol' Sales, having a crack at Scott.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My darkest secret is that I used to buy The Australian for the puzzle pages.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I used to buy the Australian because I lived in WA and a lovely broadsheet is better than a lovely tabloid.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

freebooter posted:

I used to buy the Australian because I lived in WA and a lovely broadsheet is better than a lovely tabloid.

The Oz is a million times worse than the West, but neither are worth buying. Get the AFR instead.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

The Oz is a million times worse than the West, but neither are worth buying. Get the AFR instead.

For all your mark Latham pregnant/woman/sadbrains bashing needs

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I think the Australian version of The Spectator is probably the worst form of news media in this country. Some of their previous front covers have been pretty unsubtle.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Nuclear Spy posted:

I checked out #fisher on Twitter and saw this tweet about one of the candidates:

Follow up to this - a number of candidates for this by-election were interviewed on radio this morning. I am good friends with the Greens candidate and while she absolutely smashed the interview, the independent candidate went a bit crazy. In the end it was revealed that despite running on the platform of continuing the legacy of Bob Such, the independent candidate who passed away that triggered this by-election, he doesn't necessarily agree with Such's policies (on euthanasia, marriage equality etc.) but believes the electorate will vote for him for the sake of having another independent representing the area.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

freebooter posted:

It's the federal government of course, and has been increasingly so since federation, partially because the commonwealth controls taxation and appropriation and also because the last 100 years of constitutional law has been an exercise in eroding state power. Which is good, because state governments on the whole throughout the last century have been complete poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

Follow up to this - a number of candidates for this by-election were interviewed on radio this morning. I am good friends with the Greens candidate and while she absolutely smashed the interview, the independent candidate went a bit crazy. In the end it was revealed that despite running on the platform of continuing the legacy of Bob Such, the independent candidate who passed away that triggered this by-election, he doesn't necessarily agree with Such's policies (on euthanasia, marriage equality etc.) but believes the electorate will vote for him for the sake of having another independent representing the area.

Stephen Marshall was apparently up and down my street handing out how to vote cards and having a chat with residents about Heidi Harris today. Wish I'd been about.

I'm voting for the Green candidate. Will be interesting to see if she improves on her primary from the main election, but really on a hiding to nothing in an electorate filled with retirement villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

Stephen Marshall was apparently up and down my street handing out how to vote cards and having a chat with residents about Heidi Harris today. Wish I'd been about.

I'm voting for the Green candidate. Will be interesting to see if she improves on her primary from the main election, but really on a hiding to nothing in an electorate filled with retirement villages.
I have been given the task of Poll Booth Captain at one of the polling booths for the by-election, which happens the day after the End of Year Christmas Party. It'll mark one year since I met a handful of goons for the first time at Nandos... I'm expecting to see some new goons there too this time :tipshat:

• Locked thread